Gosh I recall a parade national anthems guest speakers at 1999 I guess the days of pomp and ceremony gone. 

Until we win again... 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

Actually, a Wellinghole AC37 would be interesting. You could have the course marks free to move with the wind, and boats could just wait for the marks to go past. Anchor technology would be the winning/losing of the event.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Southwest 10 knots, rising to 15 knots this afternoon, then easing to 10 knots this evening. Sea slight. Some morning cloud, then fine.

Course details at 10.30am

7 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Are you going out on the weta?

No, unfortunately I will be on the rocks today, but SW sounds good for Course C and hopefully some nice close-up viewing off North Head.

36 minutes ago, nav said:

Don't forget the Stern Cams for the real inside dope...

Etc..

Hmmm... getting geo-blocked, despite a VPN set to NZ IP.

7 minutes ago, Purple Headed Warrior said:

You have got to be happy with that for day 1 of the Prada Cup! Champagne sailing today folks

Finally some racing that will truly indicate the relative performance of the challengers.

8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Finally some racing that will truly indicate the relative performance of the challengers.

Maybe. There could still be an advantage to sandbagging. You don't want to win the round robin series if you want to maximise race practice.

3 hours ago, Nutta said:

Actually, a Wellinghole AC37 would be interesting. You could have the course marks free to move with the wind, and boats could just wait for the marks to go past. Anchor technology would be the winning/losing of the event.

No longer the Prada cup... in Wellywood it would have to be the ROCNA Cup....

15 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Maybe. There could still be an advantage to sandbagging. You don't want to win the round robin series if you want to maximise race practice.

Yeah, you are right of course.

But if one team takes a total beating (rather than losing by a bit), it will be telling.

For example, if INEOS still require a calendar to time them in light winds, then we can assume it is genuine. I hope they have resolved the issues cos the last thing I want to see is them purposefully going out of bounds in order to compensate for the inability to foil. That was bizarre.

24 minutes ago, toad said:

North Head's the spot. Lying on the grass in a cool breeze, umbrella to keep the sun off,  a cold beer (or 3) binoc's  paradise! 

Wish I was heading to North Head now, unfortunately stuck in the UK. Excited that racing is inderway!

so how are people in the usa going to watch this?

can i use a vpn, or do i have to pay nbc $175?

if i can use a vpn, where should i watch it - what country, what network?

i'm sure this has been covered somewhere.., so sorry, but i couldn't find it

4 minutes ago, us7070 said:

There’s a complete thread for that. Don’t pollute this with TV shit. Please

• Downvote 1
24 minutes ago, Onthelock! said:

Why not? That thread has been polluted with everything but an actual link to the coverage.

Start here: https://youtu.be/zwfu1-24T7Q

Or here: https://www.youtube.com/americascup

Or here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23AmericasCup+%23AC36+%23Auckland2021

Or (requires signup): https://www.livefree24.com/The-Prada-Cup-2021/

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, us7070 said:

VPN works, set it to anywhere except USA then watch it on YouTube.

Apparently the Opera browser comes with a free VPN built in. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Onthelock! said:

I heard wuss and LE bought the rights and blacked out the USA out of spite.

1 minute ago, barfy said:

I heard wuss and LE bought the rights and blacked out the USA out of spite.

You heard wrong, again! :D  Blame it on GD’s ACE. 

No biggy, the workarounds are easy. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Low tide at 15:55 so shouldnt be too much current for most of the races. 

There WILL be tide across the course, especially for the second race. Tidal highs and lows don't always equate to no current. Obviously the Race area is an approximation. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, us7070 said:

Use a VPN and set it to Canada.  

If you don't have a VPN, I use this one: SurfShark

42 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

3.15pm it’s 1.36 pm here in the home of the Cup now.

So 9pm yesterday for me.  Thanks.  

I got my AM hat on.  I’m ready. 

41F542BF-22BF-4631-8651-12CAFCF7F489.jpeg

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, NZL4EVER said:

This panel on tvnz is a waste of time and money cringe worthy

Anything with Toni Street on is targeted at those that consider exercise as going to the fridge.

She is short, fat, can't open her eyes, has a terrible accent, not that smart - and yet here she is. The Maori guy I think his name is "token"  (for those South Park fans). I have a lot of time for Peter Lester but maybe he shines because no one else on the show has any clue about sailing.

Watch another channel

5 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Who was the dufus interviewing Dan Bernasconi on TVNZ? Where do they dig them up from!

token2

1 minute ago, Iron_Buddha said:

I can;t see it on you tube or on the Americas Cup website.  I'm in Sydney.  Anyone else see it?

If you're desperate, you can watch it on virtual.

I guess they lied: " Every Match and race of the 36th America’s Cup presented by PRADA will be streamed live on Youtube, Facebook and americascup.com in almost every country around the world. The event official website will provide all the live content including onboard camera footage, Virtual Eye graphics, behind-the-scenes storytelling and more. The fans will be able to follow the action in real-time on their computer, mobile or tablet without the need to download an app. Full replay of the races will be available on the americascup.com minutes after the end of the last race of the day. "

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mad Mac said:

Anyone in Oz getting a feed not related to Fox or a VPN?

F'ing VPN set to a NZ server - and still blocked!  Grrr....

Just now, FoolOnTheHill said:

I guess they lied: " Every Match and race of the 36th America’s Cup presented by PRADA will be streamed live on Youtube, Facebook and americascup.com in almost every country around the world. The event official website will provide all the live content including onboard camera footage, Virtual Eye graphics, behind-the-scenes storytelling and more. The fans will be able to follow the action in real-time on their computer, mobile or tablet without the need to download an app. Full replay of the races will be available on the americascup.com minutes after the end of the last race of the day. "

"Almost every country". I'm watching it via YouTube in NZ right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwfu1-24T7Q

Before the race the local bookies had odds on Ineos of 6 to 1 to take the Prada Cup. 

I reckon they will be shortening those odds as quick as the Brits are sailing today. 

Still a dog... but it’s looking like they’ve traded in the lazy bulldog for a whippet! 

This is exactly what the event needed out of the gate.  A competitive Ineos means we have three legitimate challengers, should be a great couple of months of racing