11 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

I learnt to drive when 12 years old.  And an important part of my training was driving on wet paddocks and wild sand beaches, where pampas flowers were stuck in the sand to form long chicanes.  I spent hours learning to control slides to get through these chicanes as quickly as my father, backing trailers around beaches through obstacles etc.   I never had any trouble hitting oil slick on wet roads!

But there where times I needed (but did not have) a new pair of undies.  Love your comment Max!!

Ditto.  My old man started teaching me when about 13 in his shop truck J3 Bedford.  I could barely reach the pedals.  Had to learn to double clutch.  On a Saturday morning we'd load up the weeks rubbish from his panel beating business and head up to the local rubbish dump.  The last half of the trip was on a gravel road and I'd was taught how to engine break and slide on the gravel.

Once I mastered that I graduated to his Ford Falcon XA (he had every model from the XA onwards).  

Also showed me how to drive it at speed on gravel.  Told me my right foot was the killer foot (accelerator) as speed was a killer but also showed me if used properly could be a life saver I.e. driving out of corners or a slide or skid.

Bit like these AC75s!

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

Had a Bolwell Nagari for a while. Blueprinted Ford 302 etc, weighed 2/3 of the Falcon. Great fun on a racetrack with the G forces during cornering etc.  But it was also my daily drive, and absolutely sucked on crappy Aussie roads... one bump in a corner, and you'd leap half way across to the wrong side of the road. Sold it and got a 240z instead.

Similar to this one:image.png.4da8a311875c8f0c754469eee8483e0f.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

Yeah, I get that Stephen isn't an expert but the "play-by-play" guy rarely is. I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to sports broadcasting so Ken's snide comments bug me when he could have a more helpful, friendly tone toward Stephen.  Some of the things like Stephen's fixation with the time gaps at the marks in situations where it's not relevant (like on a light wind day where dropping off the foils can erase a huge gap) need to be corrected but I'd say that could be done in private, off the air. Instead Ken belittles him on the air.

McIvor is useless. Doesn't matter what he covers. It's just light hearted banter with Kenny. I've not heard any belittling and if he does it, McIvor deserves it. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

I learnt to drive when 12 years old.  And an important part of my training was driving on wet paddocks and wild sand beaches, where pampas flowers were stuck in the sand to form long chicanes.  I spent hours learning to control slides to get through these chicanes as quickly as my father, backing trailers around beaches through obstacles etc.   I never had any trouble hitting oil slick on wet roads!

But there where times I needed (but did not have) a new pair of undies.  Love your comment Max!!

You never had snow storms, -40 for three weeks,  3 rut ice tracks on two lane highways, and elk obstacles...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, barfy said:

You never had snow storms, -40 for three weeks,  3 rut ice tracks on two lane highways, and elk obstacles...

Sounds like Finland 

35 minutes ago, Jandals said:

McIvor is useless. Doesn't matter what he covers. It's just light hearted banter with Kenny. I've not heard any belittling and if he does it, McIvor deserves it. 

Disagree.

He's done a good job of the tennis tournaments for several years now.

He has the ability to make a dick of himself at times but he is happy to laugh at himself and as someone mentioned, stepped into the boxing ring for charity when any sane person of his stature and ability would run a mile.

Words-wise he is a pro. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Sounds like Finland 

Canadada cuz...albertica

Edit

Soft snow so deep piled up under the hood and knocked the fan belt off..overheated lol

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Friday it is then.

Be a bloody shame to have only the one day with a sailable breeze maybe the race committee could amend the program to suit the conditions ok alright I’m a dreamer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kaihoe said:

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 7.07.19 PM.png

Uh... Some of those hours have wind speeds that are higher than the gusts...

I look at that forecast sometimes before I go down to the sailing club. But it doesn't usually turn out to be correct. So, I will still be tuning in!

EDIT: Also those times are NZ time zone, so the race days are Th, F, Sa, Su. Looks like they might get decent racing in all 4 days.

8 hours ago, sfigone said:

So, I know Stephen isn't really a sailing announcer but does it bother anybody else how Ken patronizes him?

No. I think Ken is speaking for anyone with a brain. The way Ken, Nathan and Shirley have been told to dumb it down is annoying also but why have they put a commentator in who knows nothing about the sport? He also doesn’t listen/learn from Ken and doesn’t try. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, KingMonkey said:

No. I think Ken is speaking for anyone with a brain. The way Ken, Nathan and Shirley have been told to dumb it down is annoying also but why have they put a commentator in who knows nothing about the sport? He also doesn’t listen/learn from Ken and doesn’t try. 

I think he adds to the broadcast when he asks questions. He’s really there to keep Ken from talking in a way that most viewers would not follow. 

• Like 2
On 1/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, JALhazmat said:

Race umpire has a diamond around each boat, if they intersect, then it’s an issue.

they didn’t, so it wasn’t an issue. Jimmy and the Prada apologists need to stfu. 

One observation I had during the cross is how close do you want to cross behind another boat given the mess they leave in the water. Surely that should have an impact on your lift. They should go through the disturbed water pretty fast though, is it enough for foil or rudder to stall? Is there something best considered in rules for safety reasons or left open for teams?

In most cases software are so good now that both teams and umpire knows who is in front and has right away some time before the actual crossing. They can basically prepare the finger on the button once starboard boat dive down.

^ I hope the umpire software is sophisticated enough to project whether the diamonds would intersect if both boats held their course - obviously if a ROW boat takes evasive action then the diamonds wouldn't intersect in real-time but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a penalty

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Be a bloody shame to have only the one day with a sailable breeze maybe the race committee could amend the program to suit the conditions ok alright I’m a dreamer.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting here? More races on Friday? Canx Saturday and Sunday now and use the lay days up front? 

I was just making a decision on when I would be on the water. 

11 hours ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

So, I know Stephen isn't really a sailing announcer but does it bother anybody else how Ken patronizes him? 

It doesn't "bother me". He's presumably well paid to play the village idiot. 

2 hours ago, NSP said:

^ I hope the umpire software is sophisticated enough to project whether the diamonds would intersect if both boats held their course - obviously if a ROW boat takes evasive action then the diamonds wouldn't intersect in real-time but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a penalty

Hugely expensive regatta, billionaire owners, the whole world watching, massive tech budget, bleeding edge science and technology.......Nah they just employed a couple of numpty blokes from a small country yacht club to push two of model yachts on an air hockey table. But they replay each maneuver 3 times just to be sure their calls are 100% correct.

Fuck me! Its exasperating reading some of this shit.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:31 PM, JALhazmat said:

Race umpire has a diamond around each boat, if they intersect, then it’s an issue.

they didn’t, so it wasn’t an issue. Jimmy and the Prada apologists need to stfu. 

No you stfu!  The whole point of SA forums is for idle speculation, arm chair second guessing and fan boy pile ins.  If you take away that, then what do we have left other than calm observation at the infallibility of AC race management over the decades :)

BA said it was as close as you'd ever want it to be.  JS and FB both obviously think it was a penalty, but then they had to wash out their wet suits after that.  The media have published multiple angles.  Obviously it was close enough to be perfect fodder for second guessing the umpires.

Personally, when I first saw it I thought the umpires had got it right. Then the LR view made me thing they got it wrong. Finally reading all the second guessing has made me think that the umpires were considering  RRS16 and that it was only very VERY close because of LR's dial down, so they probably got it right.  What fun!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NSP said:

It isn't complicated if the RoW boat holds its course. It only becomes complicated when the RoW boat alters course which it is allowed to do. That is when the judgement enters the process.

35 minutes ago, sfigone said:

No you stfu!  The whole point of SA forums is for idle speculation, arm chair second guessing and fan boy pile ins.  If you take away that, then what do we have left other than calm observation at the infallibility of AC race management over the decades :)

BA said it was as close as you'd ever want it to be.  JS and FB both obviously think it was a penalty, but then they had to wash out their wet suits after that.  The media have published multiple angles.  Obviously it was close enough to be perfect fodder for second guessing the umpires.

Personally, when I first saw it I thought the umpires had got it right. Then the LR view made me thing they got it wrong. Finally reading all the second guessing has made me think that the umpires were considering  RRS16 and that it was only very VERY close because of LR's dial down, so they probably got it right.  What fun!

its been blasted bloody everywhere, the arm chair analysts,  the oh look isn't that close could they crash face book observers,  the LR fan boys 

wtf are people going to glean from a tv image when it is devoid of 90 % of the data that the umpires had as well as the software that the teams had before they decided on the cross, Ben isn't suicidal they will have had data that said it was on, close but it was on.

the fact that Jimmy had to keep going down made the pen likely hood even smaller as he was consistently altering course. it is  just fucking dull the,  were they right weren't they etc.

given Prada's love for the arbitration panel don't you think that if there was any genuine chance of the decision being wrong they would be up there balls deep in legal bullshit tryiing to 'win' another race.

• Like 1

forecast looks okay

Waitematā Harbour Recreational Forecast

Nearby coastal warnings: Nil for Raglan, Nil for Colville

Today: Southwest 10 knots, easing to variable 5 knots early morning. Southwest 15 knots developing early afternoon, rising to 20 knots this evening. Sea becoming moderate this evening and choppy when wind opposes tide. Mainly fine, apart from a few light showers this evening.

Friday: Southwest rising to 25 knots for a time in the morning, changing southeast 15 knots late evening. Fine.

Saturday: Southeast 15 knots, turning easterly 15 knots for a time in the afternoon. A few morning showers, then increasing fine spells.

Sunday: Southeast 10 knots, turning easterly 10 knots for a time in the afternoon. Fine.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, us7070 said:

forecast looks okay

Waitematā Harbour Recreational Forecast

Nearby coastal warnings: Nil for Raglan, Nil for Colville

Today: Southwest 10 knots, easing to variable 5 knots early morning. Southwest 15 knots developing early afternoon, rising to 20 knots this evening. Sea becoming moderate this evening and choppy when wind opposes tide. Mainly fine, apart from a few light showers this evening.

Friday: Southwest rising to 25 knots for a time in the morning, changing southeast 15 knots late evening. Fine.

Saturday: Southeast 15 knots, turning easterly 15 knots for a time in the afternoon. A few morning showers, then increasing fine spells.

Sunday: Southeast 10 knots, turning easterly 10 knots for a time in the afternoon. Fine.

I think you mean it is fine.  :)  I guess that is the New Zealand equivalent of "fair skies" in USA forecast lexicon.

Thank god you are not skipper and "Cindy" is.  You would be a mixture of Boris and Donald and we would be sunk!

Our Prime Minister Jacinda is doing an amazing job of letting the experts run this.  Walking a very fine line, keeping our economy going well, trying to get NZers back to safety and coping with idiots!

• Like 6
  • Downvote 2
18 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Had a Bolwell Nagari for a while. Blueprinted Ford 302 etc, weighed 2/3 of the Falcon. Great fun on a racetrack with the G forces during cornering etc.  But it was also my daily drive, and absolutely sucked on crappy Aussie roads... one bump in a corner, and you'd leap half way across to the wrong side of the road. Sold it and got a 240z instead.

Similar to this one:image.png.4da8a311875c8f0c754469eee8483e0f.png

isn't that a Nissan Methuselah ? Are we down to posting pics of our old crappy cars now ?

Is anyone else confused by the dates on the AC website? Does the semi start today? Or does it end Monday? Are they showing my date or their date? And why are they showing different dates for the top schedule and the bottom schedule? Is the racing schedule different from the village schedule?

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.34.12 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Tropical Madness said:

it's like 28/1 11pm in your timezene...

11pm here would be 8pm in Aukland.

2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Thank god you are not skipper and "Cindy" is.  You would be a mixture of Boris and Donald and we would be sunk!

Our Prime Minister Jacinda is doing an amazing job of letting the experts run this.  Walking a very fine line, keeping our economy going well, trying to get NZers back to safety and coping with idiots!

Cindy has a big gob but is a big failure at everything else. All steam and no hangi.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, nroose said:

Seems like it starts tomorrow and ends Monday (Auckland time), but will probably be over by Sunday?

The times on the AC website are in your current timezone. I agree it's confusing - I think they changed it recently. Just look at the countdown timer, its accurate.

5 hours ago, nroose said:

Seems like it starts tomorrow and ends Monday (Auckland time), but will probably be over by Sunday?

Starts tomorrow and I guess will continue to Monday only if 7 races are required or there's cancellations over the weekend

53 minutes ago, crashtack said:

The times on the AC website are in your current timezone. I agree it's confusing - I think they changed it recently. Just look at the countdown timer, its accurate.

I looked all over www.americascup.com and could not find a countdown timer.  Can someone provide link,

8 minutes ago, P Flados said:

I looked all over www.americascup.com and could not find a countdown timer.  Can someone provide link,

Countdown Timer to Any Date - Time and Date

Ask Not what Others can Do for you

Get Off yer ASS and Get ER DONE

yer welcome

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, P Flados said:

they appear to have replaced it with the countdown to the first AC match... weird.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, crashtack said:

It has different dates for the same thing on the same page... Not just confusing. One or the other is wrong. And it's not the times that are in my time zone. It's the dates. The times displayed, which are the village schedule times, are in the local Auckland time zone.

11 minutes ago, nroose said:

It has different dates for the same thing on the same page... Not just confusing. One or the other is wrong. And it's not the times that are in my time zone. It's the dates. The times displayed, which are the village schedule times, are in the local Auckland time zone.

image.thumb.png.de329642abe83874584dfe07c26efd83.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nroose said:

Is anyone else confused by the dates on the AC website? Does the semi start today? Or does it end Monday? Are they showing my date or their date? And why are they showing different dates for the top schedule and the bottom schedule? Is the racing schedule different from the village schedule?

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.34.12 PM.png

You'd think they would give the start times somewhere, in SOME time zone.  I guess, the start is a truth in need of a bodyguard of obfuscation, if not actually one of lies.  Wouldn't any sane person post the times prominently on the web site?

Maybe it's hiding behind all the gay dancing baloney.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tommy22 said:

Anyone know what the late rule change is behind the herald paywall?

“The Defender was not consulted by the Challenger of Record on the issue of continuing the 15-minute race delay card for this weekend's racing after it was requested by American Magic,” said Team New Zealand in a statement.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124086702/americas-cup-tension-rises-as-italians-can-a-15minute-start-delay-rule

1 hour ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

What timezone?  is that Auckland time?

It says it right on the title. "Auckland dates/times"

I'm guessing the "local dates" is local to where you are logging on from. 

• Like 1

Getting a bit confused with the forecasts. Windguru is now saying a bit more wind on Friday but hardly any on Saturday or Sunday. Is it a case there might be a seabreeze as locals seem to be saying more wind than that.

Is there a good local forecast?

Screenshot_20210128-094912_Windguru Lite.jpg

12 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Really  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3
Just now, elliot749 said:

She’s a clueless, bobble headed fish and chip  serving unmarried mum, who couldn’t run a bath , let alone a country  

Tell us how you really feel... 8)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

She’s a clueless, bobble headed fish and chip  serving unmarried mum, who couldn’t run a bath , let alone a country  

Piss off wanker!  This is about the AC. If you hadn't cottoned on yet, there's fuck all other countries that could host a sailing regatta this year, thanks to everyone who worked to make it happen -  including the current PM!  Take your whiny political bullshit elsewhere.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Yet here we are with one of the best COVID responses in the world. Better economic numbers than a lot of other countries who sacrifised souls on the alter of dollars. Still able to host world class sporting events with actual spectators. And to top it all off no one trying to storm the beehive and overthrow our democracy.

It's like some kind of miracle that all this was still possible while she was in charge! Or perhaps you could just open the other eye and stop reading so much QAnon.

• Like 6
  • Downvote 3
29 minutes ago, elliot749 said:

Go duck a sick dude 

Like I've said before on this site - your mother must be sooo proud of you.  Sad little princess!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

Like I've said before on this site - your mother must be so proud of you.  Sad little princess.

At least our population isn't full of 30% of them..."ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever"

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, elliot749 said:
32 minutes ago, Rhumline said:

She’s a clown 

Elliot, I never said this.  Get your act together and stop attributing your own pathetic views to others!  Let's get back to boat bullshit eh?

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm racing starts 29th 1400 Auckland time? I can work it out from that. The schedule has disappeared off www.americascup.com

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

Can anyone confirm racing starts 29th 1400 Auckland time? I can work it out from that. The schedule has disappeared off www.americascup.com

Isn't it 15.00 Auckland time?

On 1/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, Forourselves said:

It should never be an offshore race.

Actually - the DoG states (and I'm quoting the 1956 & 1985 amendment)"All races shall be on ocean courses free from headlands". An offshore race would therefore satisfy the DoG would it not? That one thinks it should never be an offshore race is irrelevant as the DoG appears to allow it.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Boybland said:

Yet here we are with one of the best COVID responses in the world. Better economic numbers than a lot of other countries who sacrifised souls on the alter of dollars. Still able to host world class sporting events with actual spectators. And to top it all off no one trying to storm the beehive and overthrow our democracy.

It's like some kind of miracle that all this was still possible while she was in charge! Or perhaps you could just open the other eye and stop reading so much QAnon.

Well this is as clear as day a benefit of being a small and quite isolated island.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
24 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Actually - the DoG states (and I'm quoting the 1956 & 1985 amendment)"All races shall be on ocean courses free from headlands". An offshore race would therefore satisfy the DoG would it not? That one thinks it should never be an offshore race is irrelevant as the DoG appears to allow it.  

The original race was around the Isle of Wight. That seems "offshore-ish" to me...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

The original race was around the Isle of Wight. That seems "offshore-ish" to me...

Nope, that is most definitely an inshore.

As I have said befoe, I would love to see GB win, hold it again in AC75s and them have a fleet race round the IoW as a showcase, media spectacle etc. Bet the record would fall

7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Nope, that is most definitely an inshore.

Lotta blue around it for an inshore!

image.png.1995691431e6c08dcd3c8c16c0007077.png

1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

Lotta blue around it for an inshore!

But in sight of land:

Inshore racing is yacht racing not in protected waters but along and generally within sight of land or from land to nearby islands, as distinct from offshore racing across open water and oceans.

21 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Nope. Cat 4 regs would apply. Offshore = category 3 (or 2).

56 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Isn't it 15.00 Auckland time?

I think you are right but I would like to know when to set the alarm.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

I think you are right but I would like to know when to set the alarm.

Italian Tv begins broadcasting at 2.50 CET (1.50 GMT)

1379812823_RaiTV.JPG.0c38287d01e4362dd38288a999c4e68b.JPG

• Like 1
On 1/25/2021 at 10:11 PM, idontwan2know said:

Yes, I'm aware of the legalities around the Deed of Gift.

What we're getting at is separating the legal fictions from the practical reality of the situation. ETNZ holds all the assets, resources and relationships and makes all the decisions related to defending the cup, with RNZYS being involved, if at all, as a courtesy.

This conversation arose around whether ETNZ could host the event somewhere other than New Zealand and it was suggested that RNZYS wouldn't allow this. From a practical perspective, RNZYS would not "fire" ETNZ and defend the cup themselves no matter how upset they were about this because they have no assets, experience, sponsorships, talent, etc. that would enable them to do so. Everything that makes a cup defense possible belongs to ETNZ and therefore ETNZ calls the shots.

ha ha - everything belongs to ETNZ perhaps, EXCEPT The Cup itself. "It is to be distinctly understood that the Cup is the property of the club and not of the owners of the vessel winning it in a match (DoG 1882 amendment)

While it is extremely unlikely that RNZYS could find a team in NZL quite as capable as ETNZ to defend the cup on its behalf, the only way ETNZ are the defenders is that they are RNZYS's team. The Cup is held by RNZYS, it is challenged for by other yacht clubs as per the DoG. Those challenging clubs do so because a member (or group of members) of challenging clubs wish to do so.

The challengers in the current Cup are Royal Yacht Squadron, New York Yacht Club and, I believe Costa Smerelda Yacht Club. Their respective teams are INEOS, American Magic and Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli.

All legal relationships are between the clubs. 

For example when Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club (SBYC) challenged in AC32 with their team  'One Ocean' it was the SBYC commodore on behalf of the SBYC Committee who issued the challenge to Societie Nautique de Geneve, not One ocean which issued the challenge to Alinghi. Similarly when, at the 11th hour (actually 1545 Swiss time on final day for challenges) the challenge from China was withdrawn it was the Commodore of SBYC that had to make that call and not the CEO of One Ocean because that is the mechanics of an America's Cup challenge under the Deed of Gift.  

(Edit) Strider470 has corrected me. Luna Rossa's is entered by "Il Circolo della Vela Sicilia" - thanks strider

11 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

ha ha - everything belongs to ETNZ perhaps, EXCEPT The Cup itself. "It is to be distinctly understood that the Cup is the property of the club and not of the owners of the vessel winning it in a match (DoG 1882 amendment)

While it is extremely unlikely that RNZYS could find a team in NZL quite as capable as ETNZ to defend the cup on its behalf, the only way ETNZ are the defenders is that they are RNZYS's team. The Cup is held by RNZYS, it is challenged for by other yacht clubs as per the DoG. Those challenging clubs do so because a member (or group of members) of challenging clubs wish to do so.

The challengers in the current Cup are Royal Yacht Squadron, New York Yacht Club and, I believe Costa Smerelda Yacht Club. Their respective teams are INEOS, American Magic and Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli.

All legal relationships are between the clubs. 

When Shanghai Boat & Yacht Club (SBYC) challenged in AC32 with their team  'One Ocean' it was the SBYC commodore on behalf of the SBYC Committee who issued the challenge to Societie Nautique de Geneve, not One ocean which issued the challenge to Alinghi. Similarly when, at the 11th hour (actually 1545 Swiss time on final day for challenges) the challenge from China was withdrawn it was the Commodore of SBYC that had to make that call and not the CEO of One Ocean because that is the mechanics of an America's Cup challenge under the Deed of Gift.  

LR is the challenger for "Circolo della Vela Sicilia".

Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (in  Sardinia) was the Yacht Club of Azzurra, the first Italian Challenger back in 1983 and 1987.

I don't think that the semis are as clear cut as some think. If it is breezy on day 1 and AM go 2 up (which is distinctly possible given the only time they have raced in breeze) then the pressure will really go on LR.

And there is always the possibility that the light stuff forecast for subsequent days is too light and racing gets cancelled/abandoned

4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

LR is the challenger for "Il Circolo della Vela Sicilia".

Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (in  Sardinia) was the Yacht Club of Azzurra, the first Italian Challenger back in 1983 and 1987.

Thank you for the correction strider, i shall go back and correct my post

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

The section you are quoting refers to default DoG matches. In a mutual consent challenge there are no restrictions on courses, dates, etc.

Pre-covid, we were going to bring our 52 footer to the Cup this year see friends, etc, but looking at the time, effort and money I am debating if this is even worth it.  If you look at the pre-regatta and then the Prada Cup, you have a boat that will be dismissed with less than 8 hours of total racing time. For example, as of today, INEOS has only about 4 hours of racing time (6 races at 20 min?), many of those races shortened, and races against the clock to even finish a race. I watched all the racing in one evening working late. I am not shitting on this cycle, but I think organizers need to think about the whole elimination series. Races are 20 minutes long, only two races a day and we have shorten races, time expired races etc.  If you are going to challenge for the Americas Cup would you not want to know you have more than 6 hours of racing for 3 years work and all of that money?  Opti sailors will get more time racing for a given club weekend than AM or LR when they get dismissed in the next round. you have to look at this as hours racing vs, days racing, I still will never understand why they did not do a full round in a day and then two more rounds of racing (I get it, TV, they are barely getting 2 races in a day). We have seen all the puff pieces 8 times or more for very minimal race time.

• Like 2