• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

Whoever wants to lose the next cup should hire Barker. Yet another disastrous start. wtf is wrong with him

Kiwi double agent sabotaging American campaign? LOL.

• Like 1

Why are you bagging Barker he’s neither the skipper or the tactician. 
Oh he’s not American, that’s why ?

• Like 1
Just now, Redreuben said:

Why are you bagging Barker he’s neither the skipper or the tactician. 
Oh he’s not American, that’s why ?

Because he has the wheel in his hand and it was his decision that resulted in the capsize. 

American Magic just turned into American Tragic. Feel for them. Awesome effort to get back on to the racetrack but unfortunately control systems just not working properly.

2 minutes ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

Because he has the wheel in his hand and it was his decision that resulted in the capsize. 

Because those that should have been making the decisions weren’t. 

5 minutes ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

I don't know who to root for in the finals. Both LR and UK have compelling stories. 

Gotta be LR.

We can't have the Brits with the Cup, or their reasons for moaning will be diminished.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Alhadder said:

American Magic just turned into American Tragic. Feel for them. Awesome effort to get back on to the racetrack but unfortunately control systems just not working properly.

Agreed.

This sucks. Poor fuckers.

Worst $175 I've ever spent. Not because AM is out but crap man, the Christmas race was cancelled, then a bunch of races got cancelled because of the capsize and then AM gets swept. A lot less racing than there might have been.

American Magic can save on shipping costs, sail out past Rangitoto on last leg, and kick that dodgy patch out. Then pretend <Sgt_Schultz>I know nothing...</Sgt_Schultz>

2 minutes ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

They should have sacked Barker after the capsize.

Yeah, because FCS issue is all on Barker. Wanker.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

Heartbreaking way to go out. Wonder if some residual salt water damage effecting the electrical works.

Nope, it’s all brand new

Just now, Nutta said:

American Magic can save on shipping costs, sail out past Rangitoto on last leg, and kick that dodgy patch out. Then pretend <Sgt_Schultz>I know nothing...</Sgt_Schultz>

The helmsman should go down with the ship.

8 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

Nope, it’s all brand new

Of course it is. But that amount of salt water is gonna leave salt no matter how much you fresh water wash...not making excuses of course.

I’ll think this will be it for Deano. He will be in 52 in the next cycle. Let’s not dumb to much crap on the guy. Must be a hard time for all the AM crew. 

7 minutes ago, Rapture_29.5 said:

Goodison told him it was dangerous. They had a comfortable lead. It's on Barker.

From guys who actually race: "No way would a racer give up the weather mark."

A "comfortable lead" for these boats is measured in kilometres, not metres.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

Well, Goodison is a Gold medalist and a Moth world champion. So if he's not a racer, I don't know who is. He was recommending a jibe.

7 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Something to remember on that maneuver, if the wind was phasing left, then taking the left gate absolutely the right move. Say taking the right gate cost a 100m, heck that’s the cost of a turn in these boats, so why give up extra? So I can easily see the rationale.

Right gate was definitely safer though.

Edit to add: I thought at the time that when AM went to tack that they were taking a risk, and was a bit surprised they didn’t go with the conservative rounding.

6 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I’ll think this will be it for Deano. He will be in 52 in the next cycle. Let’s not dumb to much crap on the guy. Must be a hard time for all the AM crew. 

Yeah agreed. Sad. It wasn't all his fault only part. At the end of the day they had the slower boat since the accident. 

On 1/28/2021 at 7:51 PM, Manny Ramirez said:

It’s not subtle. He should disclose the constant bias.

How does Ken Read have any job in the sailing industry after what went down with Comanche?

Very sad after 3,5 years, they had an incredible courage, amazing class, they finished with a limping boat. The beginning of the end was their boat under water, even though they could not really come back they decided to fight to the end. Some insults here have been disgusting.

They have to be proud of their courage and obstination. They deserve all our respect.

• Like 8

When Prada ducked AM (on opposing legs), I recall hearing talk of we can gybe, but I recall seeing them drop the board to slow, then raise it once clear. Is that what really happened? If so, smart.

Apart from Alinghi who stole a team, it’s impossible to win on the first attempt with a new syndicate. I hope they have the fortitude to come back again 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Terry crying now.! Very fucking sad.....! :mellow:

What a stupid fucking question by that idiot: "How do you feel?"  How do you think he feels you dumbass?

• Like 7

If it's any consolation to American Magic they wouldn't have won the Americas Cup anyway and I also doubt Ineos or Luna Rossa will either. So go back and start again but not for the sake of it. Build a better team, find some new youth, get the best brains in the game and start again. Don't give up. 

• Like 6

B

18 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I think LR was unsporting not to wait at the leeward gate when AM had board trouble and let AM catch up a bit.

What? There is 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars on the line. Letting your opponent catch up is NOT an option.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

B

What? There is 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars on the line. Letting your opponent catch up is NOT an option.

Correct

Congratulations, LRPP. 

Unfortunately, utter failure from American Magic. Zero wins in the competition.

But, thanks to TH, DB and team for mounting your challenge. Hope to see you again in 4 years.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:
28 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I think LR was unsporting not to wait at the leeward gate when AM had board trouble and let AM catch up a bit.

You may have missed the purple font

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Very sad after 3,5 years, they had an incredible courage, amazing class, they finished with a limping boat. The beginning of the end was their boat under water, even though they could not really come back they decided to fight to the end. Some insults here have been disgusting.

They have to be proud of their courage and obstination. They deserve all our respect.

We’re you saying this about Team NZ when we capsized in Bermuda? No. That. Capsize could have ended that campaign, yet there was no talk of courage and obstination then. So enough with your holier than thou comments because they’re all shit like you.

• Downvote 2
36 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

FOR SALE: really fast 75ft foiling sailboat, CARFAX shows one severe accident, low mileage (due to losing 0-4), weird sails. Needs work. Call for price.

S+S, here you go.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

Something to remember on that maneuver, if the wind was phasing left, then taking the left gate absolutely the right move. Say taking the right gate cost a 100m, heck that’s the cost of a turn in these boats, so why give up extra? So I can easily see the rationale.

Edit to add: I thought at the time that when AM went to tack that they were taking a risk, and was a bit surprised they didn’t go with the conservative rounding.

Given that it was a round robin race and there was so little on the line, it's always wise to preserve the equipment. Even if they would have lost every race in the round robin they would have been in better shape for the semi-finals than they were after the capsize.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

I don't think they had a lot of options on when to tack, but my armchair thinks they should maybe have built a bit more speed after the tack and a small touchdown, before going for the bear-away. However my armchair is a know-it-all-after-the-event:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well, this was bad. I wish we had more racing. AM was interesting, because they chose a different design path from the other boats. They  went all in on low drag, high maximum speed, but limited adjustments and maneuverability. Performing so well in the ACWS was probably bad for the team. When they came back, it was obvious they improved much less than others. Then, they literally blew up their program while leading a completely meaningless race by 600m. 

On the other hand, LR was always suspicious to me. They seemed unreasonably slow considering they had a beautiful design package and sailed the boat well. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided from the very beginning to hold back development and aim for sailing in the semi finals for more race practice.

BTW, who's responsible for organizing the Prada Cup? Was it LR / Prada or ETNZ or both? This messed up schedule was really bad for the viewers and very good for ETNZ.