7 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Wonder where the word "learnings" cropped up from? I hear it a lot recently. The word is lessons.

Think you are correct. A quick search threw this up - Tis me learnings...

Learnings

•  
  •  

Learning can be the progressive form of the verb learn, so that you are in the process of acquiring knowledge. Learning is also a synonym for knowledge, or information acquiredand retained in someone’s mind. It can be an adjective describing an object as something that will give the user more knowledge.

Learnings is a pluralization of an erroneous form of learning as a singular noun. Said singular noun (e.g., a learning) does not exist, at least according to most dictionaries. Colloquially, especially in the medical field, learnings means specific items that were newly discovered or learned.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Wonder where the word "learnings" cropped up from? I hear it a lot recently. The word is lessons.

From people that didn't pay attention to their "learnings" at school?

16 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Have not used it for quite a while, since Windy does it all for my limited requirements these days.

But it looks like the Basic/standard subscription gives you their GFS version in high resolution, but not their ECMWF version.

GFS should be quite sufficient for us "fans", and Predict Wind should be the most reliable forecast available, IMHO.

I use predict wind (subscriber) and I like it, but you need to understand what you are looking at, Happy to have someone from predict wind correct me, but reading up forecasting over the years, I work within the following assumptions.

I'm pretty sure the output you are looking at in the bottom 4 rows is just raw computer model output, from overseas computer models  and the 2 x PWX at the top are Predict winds interpretation of the global models. Maybe predict wind add their terrain data to the global models, but I have never been sure about that.

ECMWF = Europe

GFS = USA

SPIRE = I think is a private company (multinational)

UKMO = UK

Each one of these models is based on different assumptions and bias, mainly so they can in the first place get accurate forecasts for their own country. ie: All forecast models start by predicting weather across the entire globe first. Global models are run at relatively low resolutions and these then provide a starting point to run a regional model. Once the global forecast is complete, meteorologists tell the computer to focus on a region and increase the resolution.

The resolution for global models (not sure about SPIRE) at best is aprox 9km, in the southern hemisphere, any greater claims than this are provided by interpretation of surrounding points, not direct model output, which does lead to sometimes material differences at shorelines etc. Over the years model resolution increases with more compute power available. For eg: NOAA have increased the resolution of the GFS model. There are currently three versions in operation with resolutions of 27km, 13km and 9km but a lot of forecast tools, don't even access the the higher res output. Different models handle different scenarios better. A lot of / MOST weather apps only access free data from the providers, which is generally lower res than is available when data is paid for.

In Australia, the are few if any weather apps that pay for BOMs ADFD which has a resolution of 3km in VIC and TAS and 6km in other states making it the highest resolution forecast data available for Australia, from any provider world wide.

I think currently NZ Met service run a 4km resolution model, but not sure if they are running their own computers or contracting some other countries.

For some perspective the back in the 2016 ECMWF Cray super computer had 260,000 processor cores to run work on, and more than 900 terabytes of memory. (Its been upgraded now I believe) and BOM upgraded in 2016 to a Cray XC-40 supercomputer with more than 500,000 processor cores 2,160 compute nodes, with 51,840 Intel Xeon cores, 276TB of RAM, and a usable storage of 4.3PB. These are what it takes to produce this digits inside the pretty coloured boxes on predict wind.

image.thumb.png.28436b1264953102cef4f694ba05500b.png

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Flags said:

I use predict wind (subscriber) and I like it, but you need to understand what you are looking at, Happy to have someone from predict wind correct me, but reading up forecasting over the years, I work within the following assumptions.

I'm pretty sure the output you are looking at in the bottom 4 rows is just raw computer model output, from overseas computer models  and the 2 x PWX at the top are Predict winds interpretation of the global models. Maybe predict wind add their terrain data to the global models, but I have never been sure about that.

ECMWF = Europe

GFS = USA

SPIRE = I think is a private company (multinational)

UKMO = UK

Each one of these models is based on different assumptions and bias, mainly so they can in the first place get accurate forecasts for their own country. ie: All forecast models start by predicting weather across the entire globe first. Global models are run at relatively low resolutions and these then provide a starting point to run a regional model. Once the global forecast is complete, meteorologists tell the computer to focus on a region and increase the resolution.

The resolution for global models (not sure about SPIRE) at best is aprox 9km, in the southern hemisphere, any greater claims than this are provided by interpretation of surrounding points, not direct model output, which does lead to sometimes material differences at shorelines etc. Over the years model resolution increases with more compute power available. For eg: NOAA have increased the resolution of the GFS model. There are currently three versions in operation with resolutions of 27km, 13km and 9km but a lot of forecast tools, don't even access the the higher res output. Different models handle different scenarios better. A lot of / MOST weather apps only access free data from the providers, which is generally lower res than is available when data is paid for.

In Australia, the are few if any weather apps that pay for BOMs ADFD which has a resolution of 3km in VIC and TAS and 6km in other states making it the highest resolution forecast data available for Australia, from any provider world wide.

I think currently NZ Met service run a 4km resolution model, but not sure if they are running their own computers or contracting some other countries.

For some perspective the back in the 2016 ECMWF Cray super computer had 260,000 processor cores to run work on, and more than 900 terabytes of memory. (Its been upgraded now I believe) and BOM upgraded in 2016 to a Cray XC-40 supercomputer with more than 500,000 processor cores 2,160 compute nodes, with 51,840 Intel Xeon cores, 276TB of RAM, and a usable storage of 4.3PB. These are what it takes to produce this digits inside the pretty coloured boxes on predict wind.

image.thumb.png.28436b1264953102cef4f694ba05500b.png

According to Predict Wind now not enough wind for racing tomorrow? The official forecast is 2-10 Knots from 1pm to 5pm with the later not kicking in until closer to 5pm. But as you say the model may not be accurate enough for the small pocket of racing area so let's wait and see

Can anyone help with pointing me to a site that has the starting times (Auckland time) for the  first two races of the Prada Cup final? I've searched the AC website and although it lists the first two races as being held on February 12th (it's Thursday the 11th in my time zone) it doesn't list start times. As of this posting time it is 1:45 PM in Auckland on the 12th of February. I would think racing, if not being delayed, would be on now. Am I missing something? If I am I claim a "senior moment" exemption.:wacko:

• Like 2

The AmCup website states the first race is:

"13 Feb 

FR1

SCHEDULED"

As in "Saturday 13 February, Final Race 1, SCHEDULED"

Perhaps the "FR1" is what's causing so much confusion?

Earliest Start  is 16.12 local time

12 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Interesting the different perceptions

I thought Ben looked comfortable and confident.

Personally I thought it was Max who looked a bit uncomfortable. He looked like he was squirming waiting for someone to ask if he was impressed with Rita yet.

I also noticed that Max always avoided referring to GB as such, or Ineos or anything else. It was always "them" or similar. 

That's exactly how I saw it. There is no way you could perceive he thinks he is a beaten man IMHO. Quietly confident and a beaten man never says "We prefer to let our results do the talking.!" Case closed. 

12 minutes ago, highcountryrider said:

Can anyone help with pointing me to a site that has the starting times (Auckland time) for the  first two races of the Prada Cup final? I've searched the AC website and although it lists the first two races as being held on February 12th (it's Thursday the 11th in my time zone) it doesn't list start times. As of this posting time it is 1:45 PM in Auckland on the 12th of February. I would think racing, if not being delayed, would be on now. Am I missing something? If I am I claim a "senior moment" exemption.:wacko:

My impression is that the races are

Saturday Feb 13, starting at 16:00

Sunday Feb 14, starting at 1600

Both New Zealand time.

That is from https://www.americascup.com/en/prada-cup

but that is a little hard to extract from that page.

And for US times, that is 1900 or 7pm PST or 2200 or 10pm EST.

• Like 1

PredictWind does a lot more than you guys seem to give them credit for. I believe they originate from the AC/Alinghi team, and are probably involved this time.

And they certainly do a 1km resolution for the race area's. How they do it is in the article, but I don't really care, I'm simply a believer...

https://www.sail-world.com/news/234064/New-high-resolution-forecast-models-in-PredictWind

7 minutes ago, highcountryrider said:

The info posted on the AC site home page is a little confusing also. Screenshot shows info just above the SCHEDULE heading. Ah well, at least I know the correct day and time now. Again thanks for the replies.

2021-02-11_18-17-46.jpg

so why are there 2 dates?

the first says it starts the 13th, and then below it says there is a race the 12th?

9 minutes ago, highcountryrider said:

The info posted on the AC site home page is a little confusing also. Screenshot shows info just above the SCHEDULE heading. Ah well, at least I know the correct day and time now. Again thanks for the replies.

2021-02-11_18-17-46.jpg

OK, your screenshot solves the mystery - I'm guessing you are in a different time zone, because I see those race dates in the grey boxes as 13 Feb, not 12 Feb.

The website is being clever and serving up dates according to the browser's whereabouts.

This is what I see, here in NZ.

dates.jpg

Just now, weta27 said:

The website is being clever and serving up dates according to the browser's wehereabouts.

well, it would be even more clever if they did it in both places...

• Like 2

Sportsbet are paying $1.83 for Team New Zealand to win the Americas Cup. They are very good odds IMO. I'd happily put my money on NZ at these odds and and just as happily lose my money to see someone else win the cup.! It's a win win in my eyes. I'm on it. :D

59 minutes ago, weta27 said:

OK, your screenshot solves the mystery - I'm guessing you are in a different time zone, because I see those race dates in the grey boxes as 13 Feb, not 12 Feb.

The website is being clever and serving up dates according to the browser's whereabouts.

Web developers are really shit at doing things with dates and times across timezones. Try this from the AC web site "how to watch" page:

m2965_Unknown-4.jpeg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I got 6:1 on LR... in beers at the pub. ;)

6:1 would insinuate a speed advantage for Luna Rossa and the 1 win for Ineos perhaps a magical performance by Sir Ben.? :D

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

The AmCup website states the first race is:

"13 Feb 

FR1

SCHEDULED"

As in "Saturday 13 February, Final Race 1, SCHEDULED"

Perhaps the "FR1" is what's causing so much confusion?

Earliest Start  is 16.12 local time

Okay, I'm confused. Just now, ac.com says this

800416479_Screenshot_20210211-185317_SamsungInternet.jpg.3fc5c2dcb133936eebfdfb015e3e4cc3.jpg

So, is the 1st race on Friday, February 12, or Saturday, February 13?

Or maybe on your side of the world,  Saturday is February 12.

I'm dazed and confused. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

6:1 would insinuate a speed advantage for Luna Rossa and the 1 win for Ineos perhaps a magical performance by Sir Ben.? :D

Nothing technical involved in this bet... The other chap was just supremely confident in GB and overly dismissive of LR, and had already downed a few beers at the time.

I had the same odds from him on the US elections. :rolleyes:

All just a bit of fun though.

I guess I'm not alone thinking the race was tonight

Come to think of it... how do flat earthers explain the international dateline? Do they do a better job at it than the webmaster of the America's cup?

2 hours ago, Varan said:

Okay, I'm confused. Just now, ac.com says this

800416479_Screenshot_20210211-185317_SamsungInternet.jpg.3fc5c2dcb133936eebfdfb015e3e4cc3.jpg

So, is the 1st race on Friday, February 12, or Saturday, February 13?

Or maybe on your side of the world,  Saturday is February 12.

I'm dazed and confused. 

My laptop is set to UTC+10, but I am seeing local NZ times and dates.

This weekend's race window is Saturday 13 February from 16:00 to 18:00 New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT), which is UTC+13. The equivalent as a UTC timestamp is: 20210213T03:00:00Z to  20210213T05:00:00Z.

If you are in a place that is UTC-4 or less (i.e. further west), then the date will be Friday 12 February for the start, e.g. for US east coast the window is:

• Fri 12 Feb 10:00 pm to Sat 13 Feb 12:00 am EST (UTC-5)

On the west coast the window is 

• Fri 12 Feb 7:00 pm to  Fri 12 Feb 9:00 pm PST (UTC-8).

The US changes to daylight saving on 14 March so that will mess with your offset if final races go that far (15 March is last scheduled day). NZ observes DST until 4 Apr so at least that change is avoided entirely.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, RobG said:

My laptop is set to UTC+10, but I am seeing local NZ times and dates.

This weekend's race window is Saturday 13 February from 16:00 to 18:00 New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT), which is UTC+13. The equivalent as a UTC timestamp is: 20210213T03:00:00Z to  20210213T05:00:00Z.

If you are in a place that is UTC-4 or less (i.e. further west), then the date will be Friday 12 February for the start, e.g. for US east coast the window is:

• Fri 12 Feb 10:00 pm to Sat 13 Feb 12:00 am EST (UTC-5)

On the west coast the window is 

• Fri 12 Feb 7:00 pm to  Fri 12 Feb 9:00 pm PST (UTC-8).

The US changes to daylight saving on 14 March so that will mess with your offset if final races go that far (15 March is last scheduled day). NZ observes DST until 4 Apr so at least that change is avoided entirely.

Yeah. The website has the dates in browser time zone, but times in nz time zone. That's the issue.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Just under 21 hrs to the first race - if they start on time.

Let the games begin. 

I've just informed her what the valentines evening will consist of. And.. she went to bunk.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, cje said:

Let the games begin. 

I've just informed her what the valentines evening will consist of. And.. she went to bunk.

"It's a SA Valentine's Day! Show us yer tits..."

Romance isn't dead.

2 minutes ago, Nutta said:

"It's a SA Valentine's Day! Show us yer tits..."

Romance isn't dead.

Will attempt to make this happen. 

I'm thinking about this angle but might need some smoother linguist support from you experts;

" If we watch some Prada Cup on Valentines day, I'll post your boobs on SA"

Cant hurt to dream.

3 minutes ago, cje said:

Will attempt to make this happen. 

I'm thinking about this angle but might need some smoother linguist support from you experts;

" If we watch some Prada Cup on Valentines day, I'll post your boobs on SA"

Cant hurt to dream.

Try with a Prada gift instead :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

"We're out (BREXIT) Max. Get over it" Classic sledge form, Sir Ben. Bring on the racing.

Yeah that was a beaut.

May every country in the EU leave it.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, strider470 said:

With that amount of money one should rightly expect more than watching :) :)

Actually the leash was for my dog to replace the Sobstad sail tie leash . 

Hair clip is only $340. I'm not going to work tomorrow but to the art store and buy all the stuff to re create that clip for $42.

boobs for sure

• Like 1