22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

i disagree here. NZ covid success has as much to do with NZ isolation as amazingly high civil compliance. It is to be celebrated, and I think in times to come we will look back at NZ as a case study favourably. She has done well, and the PR for New Zealand Inc. is on TdF scale already.

But sacrifice...hmmmm the numbers there don't stack up no matter which way you cut them. maybe time to leave your island with 24 deaths and see how the rest of the world are doing currently. 

The Americas Cup has never been about shore side spectators. No sailing, event has ever been about shore spectators. ok, maybe indoor industrial fanned windsurfing in germany circa 2002, but that's it. This is not even the main event. let it run on a closed course with the world watching it on TV. it really was the blindingly obvious option from Sunday.

You know planes can land on islands right? That’s where our cases have come from, international flights. Doesn’t matter how isolated you are if planes are landing every day.

The rest of the world is doing shit because the either bought into Cheeto Trumps BS, or they didn’t take it seriously, or they don’t respect each other and/ or their leadership enough to do what they were told to do.

This is why sailing is too exclusive. Every sport needs fans, even sailing. To say we don’t need fans watching us is just ridiculous and a bad look for the sport

Forourselves 100% and it's also why the cities that can facilitate International Landings always have a higher virus count. If all the countries were to shut down International travel we would not have virus issues in smaller countries such as Australia and NZ. That's not likely to happen and so the risk will continue. Then you only as good or as bad as your quarantine system. 

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

I see in the NZ Hetald report that GD was present in the conference call on Wednesday when Tina tried to muscle through a week delay so you can bet he approved her press release.

Big surprise, that one :D 

The shots taken at LR (again...) were completely unnecessary and a bad  enough look (why did they do that?) but the much larger issue is how GD/Symmans tried to derail the ~Challengers~ Series. WTH is going on, in this apparently snapping snake nest of Auckland financial fighting interests? The bar stakes aren’t that damn high, why not instead conduct the event with look-back dignity? The sniping snakebites have been one-directional, all along. 

Compared to Auckland, maybe a venue change would be a good dose of fresh air? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The shots taken at LR (again...) were completely unnecessary and a bad  enough look (why did they do that?) but the much larger issue is how GD/Symmans tried to derail the ~Challengers~ Series. WTH? 

As a kiwi I'm pretty disappointed with ETNZ/GD on this latest issue - on the face of it they appear to be doing the same things that they criticized Oracle etc for doing in 2017.  Is ETNZ worried, spiteful or just being dicks?  Maybe a combo of all 3!

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The shots taken at LR (again...) were completely unnecessary and a bad bad enough look, but the much larger issue is how GD/Symmans tried to derail the ~Challengers~ Series. WTH? 

And now, thanks to ACE/GD, INEOS have lost four races (even 6) in their pursuit of the Prada Cup which dramatically reduces their chances of overhauling LR (10 more races left).

I hope they take it out on GD and not blame LR when the series ends on schedule on Wednesday 24th. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

What a pile of bullshit...

I didn't see any women signing up for the next 2 month cod fishing campaign in the North Sea either. And of course no one complained there weren't any last year.

whatever, 

Its the system and no one is complaining, Its stating a fact.  Just like North sea cods fishers like bum fucking each other when off watch. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

The shots taken at LR (again...) were completely unnecessary and a bad  enough look (why did they do that?) but the much larger issue is how GD/Symmans tried to derail the ~Challengers~ Series. WTH? 

The govt expressed a preference and ACE put forward the delay proposal with corresponding extension to the start of the Match to allow the challenger enough time to prepare. LR said no.

Somehow in this debacle everyone comes out of it looking bad.  If you want the "why" for the press release, you need to go back to the M&C incident and the fact that the leak came out of Italy - given M&C continued working with LR there is a very strong suspicion the whole incident was driven by LR in an effort to derail ETNZ.  GD is an asshole of the highest order and doesn't lightly forget when people fuck with him. As it happens Bertelli is his equal when it comes to the asshole game which is why we have these public fights.  Assuming LR advances to the Match, it will not be the last piece of drama.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

on the face of it they appear to be doing the same things that they criticized Oracle etc for doing in 2017.

Yes, F’Himself endlessly repeats his bible version about all things Oracle (everything anybody ever did was only done to fuck GD!) but even if that were true, how does it make what’s been going on at all honorable? That Tina Symmans missive was really, really ugly.. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, NSP said:

Somehow in this debacle everyone comes out of it looking bad.  If you want the "why" for the press release, you need to go back to the M&C incident

If you look closely, M&C’s concerns in part actually addressed what we got faced with this week. GD refused to pay for a full Marshall crew, wanted RNZYS to instead recruit volunteers because as another leaked email explained about how he was siphoning money from ACE budgets into (Gawd knows where but..) probably ETNZ budgets, ‘The less money is spent by ACE to run the event, the more money goes into ETNZ.’ 

Money problems is driving a lot of the crap going on, including the recent attempt by the Defender to F with the Prada Cup schedule. 

• Like 2

Pretty hard to keep up with this thread, you guys must not have much of a life. Anyway, skipped three pages and it made no difference!

• Like 9
8 minutes ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

As a kiwi I'm pretty disappointed with ETNZ/GD on this latest issue - on the face of it they appear to be doing the same things that they criticized Oracle etc for doing in 2017.  Is ETNZ worried, spiteful or just being dicks?  Maybe a combo of all 3!

As an ardent Kiwi fan of long-standing and an admirer of TNZ ingenuity, pride and courage, I too was pretty disgusted with that ACE statement full of guff and finger pointing. Had it stuck to the knitting of wanting to maximise spectator enjoyment, afford businesses at the event the opportunity to earn a few dollars and other half decent mutterings, nobody could have found fault with the intent. But no, they hide and like cowards, don’t attend the Press Conference and ambush it a few minutes before the start with writings of a retard. All wrapped in supposed necessity to protect the event. Yeah.... well they look like their scheming will backfire big time. 

i went to SFO for the racing and witnessed all manner of bully boy tactics from the big swinging mickeys on OTUSA. And as I’ve said before, it took some courage to rebuild from that debacle deliver a brilliant Bermuda campaign. They fought every ounce of nonsense and showed the world that little guys, without big cheques from Billionaires could do it. 

Please repair this discord and do what you do best. Outthink, outperform and out sail the opposition in your own backyard. And as for the horse with the pen, put her out to grass and she can hand out a few face masks. 

• Like 6

Nobody beloved liked got on a plane before June, guess only the obnoxious ones kicked out of wherever they were backpacking and hostelling went back early days. Tough. 

41 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Forourselves 100% and it's also why the cities that can facilitate International Landings always have a higher virus count. If all the countries were to shut down International travel we would not have virus issues in smaller countries such as Australia and NZ. That's not likely to happen and so the risk will continue. Then you only as good or as bad as your quarantine system. 

Have to agree with this statement as well ............any country with an army patrolling the border could of shut down flights and let no one through the land border.  If you think Aus and Kiwis have been successful because were an Island ....dream on 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Pretty hard to keep up with this thread, you guys must not have much of a life. Anyway, skipped three pages and it made no difference!

You might have to skip a few more ^_^

17 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

GD refused to pay for a full Marshall crew, wanted RNZYS to instead recruit volunteers because as another leaked email explained about how he was siphoning money from ACE budgets into (Gawd knows where

Where DO you get this stuff??!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, weta27 said:

If it’s a conspiracy theory Stinger will be right on it.......He lives in a world of alternative facts 

Grant Dalton sure knows how to pick the ACE Event Manager..! FFS Dalton. What are you doing? From Vacuum Cleaner bitch to ACE Boss.....:D

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/347_Tina-Symmans-from-vacuumed-to-America-s-Cup-Boss?fbclid=IwAR05EXpCEJlOarOQ2X63vUFrZR9ptgbdRDQm-hUikQXhlyR-9PnIU-zqAuE

14 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:
17 minutes ago, weta27 said:

It’s been published, verbatim. 
Put your hands over your eyes and ears if you like. Ignorance is Bliss! :D

Verbatim?  By whom?

Link please.  Or thread name and post number.

15 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Verbatim?  By whom?

Link plese.  Or thread name and post number.

Am not going to waste my time but if you care to then read what the NZ Herald found, after having to take action in court .. The court released things that included M&C emails detailing GD’s siphoning money off to wherever, directly against the expense of event run costs, and since Iain Murray ran into a lack of event-run support this week (causing both Thursday and Friday race cancellations already) well what IM is so pissed about is quite obviously now a factor. The ACE budget got fleeced. 

I wish a real $B was running things, because otherwise relatively minor things like a few hotel room nights (included in Tina’s attack) would be of much less significance as a driving factor for the Defender’s blatant attempt to interfere with the schedule of the Challenger series. 

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

and since Iain Murray ran into a lack of event-run support this week (causing both Thursday and Friday race cancellations already) well what IM is so pissed about is quite obviously now a factor. The ACE budget got fleeced. 

You are making this up. The reason was the need to comply with the govt alert requirements in order to comply with NZ health and safety laws - that couldn't be done overnight. It had nothing to do with budget otherwise there would be no more races at all.

• Like 1

So no factual basis for your statement.

Just speculation based on assumptions based on an old newspaper article quoting a totally discredited contractor.

And a brilliant join-the-dots feverish interpretation of the news that Iain Murray couldn't raise his volunteer marshall brigade at short notice.

• Like 7

I don't want to defend or accuse GD  because I don't know the specific facts, but even in Monza (I live nearby), for the Formula 1 GP, they use a lot of volunteers in the staff to run the event, which is huge.

Yes strider, the marshalls are mostly if not all volunteers, which means many have to take time off work.

As I mentioned in another thread, the guy driving the Photo Boat (the day I went out) lived well outside Auckland, about 2 hours drive North.

So it's a bit naive to say that racing under Level 2 is no different to training, or that Iain Murray can just turn the event on and off at short notice.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, NSP said:

You are making this up. The reason was the need to comply with the govt alert requirements in order to comply with NZ health and safety laws - that couldn't be done overnight. It had nothing to do with budget otherwise there would be no more races at all.

I think not! Surprised you fell for that one, did Tina's vacuuming skill get to you as well?

IM had racing protocols all sorted for level 1,2 and 3. That was the only way the AC36 could even think of going ahead under Covid in 2021. The teams were all ready as well within the compliance restrictions. They even, and ETNZ, went out sailing on the days that supposedly it was unsafe to race!

He was clearly ready to set courses on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and looked very uncomfortable at the press conference.

The tame Kiwi press like RG did not ask the obvious question to save him having to point the finger at who was behind the attempt to sabotage the Prada Cup and LR progress. 

2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Yes strider, the marshalls are mostly if not all volunteers, which means many have to take time off work.

As I mentioned in another thread, the guy driving the Photo Boat (the day I went out) lived well outside Auckland, about 2 hours drive North.

Damn. I would pay to be there right now! :)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, weta27 said:

winchfodder, you are just guessing.- better to say nothing than talk like you know how it works.

Yup. Isn't that how we all have fun in SA. 

Though I have known IM for too many years and can assure you that he is very thorough in his preparation. (Though sinking on his AC in San Diego was not his best moment)!

33 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Am not going to waste my time but if you care to then read what the NZ Herald found, after having to take action in court .. The court released things that included M&C emails detailing GD’s siphoning money off to wherever, directly against the expense of event run costs, and since Iain Murray ran into a lack of event-run support this week (causing both Thursday and Friday race cancellations already) well what IM is so pissed about is quite obviously now a factor. The ACE budget got fleeced. 

I wish a real $B was running things, because otherwise relatively minor things like a few hotel room nights (included in Tina’s attack) would be of much less significance as a driving factor for the Defender’s blatant attempt to interfere with the schedule of the Challenger series. 

Your talking shit, making things up nd changing the subject now....dont through out a statement about GD puling volunteers etc and not back it up with proof!

3 hours ago, weta27 said:

OK. maybe mine was held up somewhere crossing the harbour ... :ph34r:

I still think that ACE's request to delay was reasonable and understandable, given how much this means to the local economy and fans, and the possibility that Auckland might be back to Level 1 in a few days. But it has been portrayed by some in a pretty unfair way.

It is described in the above article as "Tina Symmans announced the intention", whereas this was a conference call involving all parties, and ACE obviously didn't have the right to unilaterally "announce" a change like that.

Then Cattani goes on to describe it as a "proposal", and "there were further discussions throughout Wednesday".

Which was it? "Announcement", or just a "proposal for discussion"?

The wording and slant makes a big difference in public perception.

This is ludicrous!   You have a schedule that has been in place for a long time.  All of the team have plans based upon that schedule and further refinements to the boats are restricted by not following the schedule.   An issue comes up (covid) that prevents them from racing on the scheduled days, but there are lay days built into the schedule to accommodate this issue.  The issues is resolved by the authorities (government allow racing) so the schedule is required by the rules to continue on as planned.   Some other organizations (ACE), with no authority to do so, decides that it would be better to wait a couple more days for reasons that are not in the rules.  That organizations (ACE) sets in motion plans that prevent the races to continue on as scheduled and delays the races to the days it thinks are better...  They then meet as a group to discuss the races and the COR wants to continue with the races as originally planned and that are defined in the rules.   ACE then sends out a press release claiming that the COR is a poor sport and continues to prevent the races from being run until they want to run them.  

This is all very childish on the part of ACE and heads should roll.  If I was the COR I would make sure they are not paid because they did not do their job properly.

• Like 1

I rate Iain Murray highly and I think he does a super job, have also met him aboard WOXI as well, so this is no dig at him and I don't even think it's his call to make. But I've been thinking, and I may be incorrect here but wasn't Thursday (yesterday) originally a scheduled reserve day and Friday (today) a race day ? If so, wouldn't the volunteers and everyone else required to run the races have it booked in their calendars that they might be required ? Annual Leave would have been booked, nannies booked, lunches packed etc. ? If the reserve day on Thursday was required, they wouldn't have found out until late Wednesday some time in any case. So why couldn't they have gone racing yesterday or at the very least today ? Granted some people couldn't or wouldn't want to travel 2 hours in the lock down but with no spectators boats allowed the numbers required to pull it off would have been reduced. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

I rate Iain Murray highly and I think he does a super job, have also met him aboard WOXI as well, so this is no dig at him and I don't even think it's his call to make. But I've been thinking, and I may be incorrect here but wasn't Thursday (yesterday) originally a scheduled reserve day and Friday (today) a race day ? If so, wouldn't the volunteers and everyone else required to run the races have it booked in their calendars that they might be required ? Annual Leave would have been booked, nannies booked, lunches packed etc. ? If the reserve day on Thursday was required, they wouldn't have found out until late Wednesday some time in any case. So why couldn't they have gone racing yesterday or at the very least today ? Granted some people couldn't or wouldn't want to travel 2 hours in the lock down but with no spectators boats allowed the numbers required to pull it off would have been reduced. 

I think Murray made it clear that he could not run races as ACE would or could not provide on–water support. As he kept saying, it was not his decision, he is not responsible for any of this. He can only do things under the NOR and sailing instructions, neither of which cover what can and can’t be done under various COVID restriction levels. 

29 minutes ago, weta27 said:

So it's a bit naive to say that racing under Level 2 is no different to training, or that Iain Murray can just turn the event on and off at short notice.

But the missed races where already scheduled in advance so all of the people who had to take time off of work have already made arrangements.  That is part of the insanity, they could not find support for races that were already scheduled!  Of course they were put on hold until the covid status was reported, but the scheduling had already been done.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, RobG said:

I think Murray made it clear that he could not run races as ACE would or could not provide on–water support. As he kept saying, it was not his decision, he is not responsible for any of this. He can only do things under the NOR and sailing instructions, neither of which cover what can and can’t be done under various COVID restriction levels. 

Yes, this support the concept that ACE had already made the decision to postpone the races and put the plans in place before they even discussed it with the COR.  And when they got rejected, they got spiteful and followed through with their plans anyway.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

If you look closely, M&C’s concerns in part actually addressed what we got faced with this week. GD refused to pay for a full Marshall crew, wanted RNZYS to instead recruit volunteers because as another leaked email explained about how he was siphoning money from ACE budgets into (Gawd knows where but..) probably ETNZ budgets, ‘The less money is spent by ACE to run the event, the more money goes into ETNZ.’ 

Money problems is driving a lot of the crap going on, including the recent attempt by the Defender to F with the Prada Cup schedule. 

Where the fuck do you get this shit from. A full audit of the ACE accounts showed there was absolutely zero ‘siphoning’. Make your point but cut the continued made up stories. 

Im not impressed with the ACE attitude and the tone of their press releases either, but don’t use that to make up bullshit that has been proven incorrect at a government level. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, bajakiter said:

So do we know when the next race might be? Asking for a friend.

Trawl through the last 5 or so pages of the Prada Cup thread and you possibly might not find any information. 

so, starts Saturday 4pm nz time. 

Edited by JJD
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I don't want to defend or accuse GD  because I don't know the specific facts, but even in Monza (I live nearby), for the Formula 1 GP, they use a lot of volunteers in the staff to run the event, which is huge.

Credit for playing even handed 

1 hour ago, RobG said:
1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

100% Iain doing his job and going with what authorities wanted. Big Fella is not one to buck the system. I had a Murray designed boat and he did sail with me on a few occasions and I found he was very chilled and that's one of the reasons I think he get's this gig. How many times has Big Fella been abused by Mark Richards on Oats but you don't see it getting under his skin. An attribute you'd need to sail with Ricco IMO. At the end of the day we're lucky the Cup went ahead and I don't think the delay has really favored any of the teams. Ace events have been the real problem IMO. The weather not looking great for racing on the weekend certainly not for Ineos anyway if they get a race away in 7 Knots

P.S. As for COVID-19 and SARS etc I think we all know who is blame

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

100% Iain doing his job and going with what authorities wanted. Big Fella is not one to buck the system. I had a Murray designed boat and he did sail with me on a few occasions and I found he was very chilled and that's one of the reasons I think he get's this gig. How many times has Big Fella been abused by Mark Richards on Oats but you don't see it getting under his skin. An attribute you'd need to sail with Ricco IMO. At the end of the day we're lucky the Cup went ahead and I don't think the delay has really favored any of the teams. Ace events have been the real problem IMO. The weather not looking great for racing on the weekend certainly not for Ineos anyway if they get a race away in 7 Knots

The weather forecast I’m reading is also very light winds 

13 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^ While I appreciate footage of the boats, the "Chase Boat vs AC75 "Monohauls". The dude is a shitty cameraman - all over the place.

It was a choice of watching some shitty coverage of an actual AC75 or talk about covid/Cindy/Trump/COR/GD/Tina/climate change/global reset/Ken Reads love life/Ben's wife's chest/pineapple lumps.

I chose AC75 footage! :)

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The weather forecast I’m reading is also very light winds 

Yeah Predictwind says 4-5 Knots for Saturday and 3-9 Knots for Sunday with 15-18 Knots forecast for Monday

11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Fancy ACE not being able to control the weather. They really must be a useless outfit, after all. ;-)

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah Predictwind says 4-5 Knots for Saturday and 3-9 Knots for Sunday with 15-18 Knots forecast for Monday

Monday and Tuesday are reserve days, so maybe Monday. 

3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

as another leaked email explained about how he was siphoning money from ACE budgets into (Gawd knows where but..) probably ETNZ budgets, ‘The less money is spent by ACE to run the event, the more money goes into ETNZ.’ 

I have searched for the quote you state above, but can't find it anywhere. Can you share this leaked email with that statement?

1 minute ago, rh3000 said:

I have searched for the quote you state above, but can't find it anywhere. Can you share this leaked email with that statement?

Whenever he makes up bullshit and get gets called out it’s either:

- I can’t be bothered going back and finding it

- It’s on another computer

- It was first made public on my idol Tom Ehmans show

- One hears. 

• Like 3

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/americas-cup-2021-luna-rossa-skipper-max-sirena-concerned-over-fractured-relationships-following-prada-cup-rescheduling-drama/XKWYY2LCXTXS5YB7RNEXWYOKLU/

said Sirena. "I saw a Breakfast TV show [this week] with three journalists saying Luna Rossa should leave the country. Really?"

This is pretty sad, but not surprising given how desperate media personalities are to make any type of spectacle to get people's attention - Max, ignore them like you would Morgan, Clarkson et al.

One thing that appears to have gone amiss in this whole affair, is whilst LR are visitors to NZ and so we claim they should appreciate being here, they are also our guests.

I hope this means we are affording a level of generosity and hospitality that comes along with being the host nation.

ACE technically has no dog in the challenger hunt, and so LR should not be treated as a pariah for electing to stick to the agreed date, no matter how disappointed we might be at the implications.

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, JJD said:

Tuesday and Wednesday are reserve days. 

Damn it! I forgot AC "fixed" their website to display local dates and times. Sorry.

Edit... I believe this is NZ time

pc.thumb.jpg.24d130defe8171f17d0085e29740a0f7.jpg

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

P.S. As for COVID-19 and SARS etc I think we all know who is blame

Yup, most science says decimation of wilderness inserting humans into the existing wild ecosystem. 

But then, why listen to science eh?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, barfy said:

Yup, most science says decimation of wilderness inserting humans into the existing wild ecosystem. 

But then, why listen to science eh?

God knows.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

You may want to double check that, I see around 10knots for sat/sun.

6 hours ago, strider470 said:

Luckily almost the totality of Kiwis I had the pleasure to talk to in these years are really nice people.

Hey, me too !!  The entirety of the Kiwi jerk-face population 

must be here on SA - all eight of them, give or take. 

What are the odds of that happening ?? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Hey, me too !!  The entirety of the Kiwi jerk-face population 

must be here on SA - all eight of them, give or take. 

What are the odds of that happening ?? 

About the same as the Italians winning the Cup. Slim to nothing lol

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

I really don't think you can underestimate how much Government pressure probably went on here behind the scenes. ACE mentioned that the driving force was the TV coverage beaming around the world the "happy, smiling faces" at the Viaduct, the huge spectator fleet on the water and the crowds watching from North Head etc. This image of NZ being "free of COVID" has implications for a certain PM and her aspirations for her next career. Also don't forget the potential future funding for ETNZ and the Americas Cup Event itself if ETNZ defend the cup. Symmans announcements were just plain embarrassing and a direct influence would have come from the Government!

Oh totally, the evil Jacinda works the dark arts !! 

Just like AOC caused the Texas energy/water catastrophe. 

Rupert Murdoch is all over both of those "stories". 

Hyper-partisanship and misogyny are a toxic mix.  

Get help dude. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 3
6 hours ago, toad said:

whatever, 

Its the system and no one is complaining, Its stating a fact.  Just like North sea cods fishers like bum fucking each other when off watch. 

The only fact here is that you are "ignore list" material. Off you go.

6 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

the UK have 572 people per square KM....NZ have just 18 people per KM.

And Taiwan has 673/km2. It should be noted that like many other metrics the raw population density numbers are nonsense. Much of NZ is uninhabited lakes mountains and forests. It is a very urban society, and while the population density of NZ cities is lower than europe it is effectively at 50-75% of european levels not 3%. 

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

No it doesn't matter how isolated you are but it sure as fuck helps! Obviously if you dont have multiple entry points via land and a shit load of people aren't trying to get  back into the country you have an advantage. Our population of 5 million people is small, population density is one factor in the spread of a virus, the UK have 572 people per square KM....NZ have just 18 people per KM. Our Isolation is a massive advantage and arguing this point is just showing your lack of understanding of how viruses spread.

The problem in the UK was Boris was a Trump supporter and was in support of Trumps hoax theory, until he got the virus himself and had a few days in intensive care to think about what he'd done, then was born again and changed his tune and started taking the virus seriously.

The UK took too long to lockdown. By the time they did, it was too late, the virus was rampant. The same in the US, Trump convinced his supporters that it was all a big hoax perpetrated by Democrats to make him look bad, until 100,000 people died, then 200,000 and the number kept rising, and rising until he was reluctantly forced to face reality, that the virus was real, and it was dangerous. Ultimately it cost the US hundreds of thousands of deaths and him, the election.

We took the cautious approach, and it worked. Once LR loses the Americas Cup, and goes back to their own Covid ravaged country, they'll realise what they've enjoyed in New Zealand is a privilege we have afforded them. Turning your back on the people who have afforded you that privilege in the name of a rule written in a time that was much different, amidst a worldwide pandemic, will be a tough pill to swallow, as will going home empty handed with what will likely be an irreparably damaged relationship with ETNZ that will see them as just another Challenger with no power and no rights, should they decide to challenge again.

• Downvote 1

My memory is fuzzy, and correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will), but in the past, didn't the challengers basically run their own regatta as they see fit, free of any potential influence from those associated with the defender (whose sphere was to preside only over the their own selection process)?  Then, only after the two finalists were determined, would the two sides get together and hash out the final details of the match?

While there are certainly benefits from having one central entity responsible for the common elements, like officiating, broadcast rights, etc., the questions that can arise, particularly with figures who have conflicts of interest, and undue influence under such a structure, can potentially undermine the credibility of the competition.

Granted, much of the challenge of the AC is in overcoming a rigged contest, but there are limits to that before it damages the event overall.  I would include trying to leverage a public health crisis for competitive advantage as stepping over those boundaries.

The tangled web of figures and entities whose goals don't just include winning a boat race, but real estate rights and development deals, and exploiting the Cup for maximum gains, while disrespecting some of its fundamental tenets, has robbed the AC of much of its appeal.  Sadly, it seems, nobody can claim the high ground in that regard any longer.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

The problem in the UK was Boris was a Trump supporter and was in support of Trumps hoax theory, until he got the virus himself and had a few days in intensive care to think about what he'd done, then was born again and changed his tune and started taking the virus seriously.

The UK took too long to lockdown. By the time they did, it was too late, the virus was rampant. The same in the US, Trump convinced his supporters that it was all a big hoax perpetrated by Democrats to make him look bad, until 100,000 people died, then 200,000 and the number kept rising, and rising until he was reluctantly forced to face reality, that the virus was real, and it was dangerous. Ultimately it cost the US hundreds of thousands of deaths and him, the election.

We took the cautious approach, and it worked. Once LR loses the Americas Cup, and goes back to their own Covid ravaged country, they'll realise what they've enjoyed in New Zealand is a privilege we have afforded them. Turning your back on the people who have afforded you that privilege in the name of a rule written in a time that was much different, amidst a worldwide pandemic, will be a tough pill to swallow, as will going home empty handed with what will likely be an irreparably damaged relationship with ETNZ that will see them as just another Challenger with no rights, should they decide to challenge again.

Prematurate the supercazzol or are we joking?

27 minutes ago, CheekyMonkey said:

My memory is fuzzy, and correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will), but in the past, didn't the challengers basically run their own regatta as they see fit, free of any potential influence from those associated with the defender (whose sphere was to preside only over the their own selection process)?  Then, only after the two finalists were determined, would the two sides get together and hash out the final details of the match?

While there are certainly benefits from having one central entity responsible for the common elements, like officiating, broadcast rights, etc., the questions that can arise, particularly with figures who have conflicts of interest, and undue influence under such a structure, can potentially undermine the credibility of the competition.

Granted, much of the challenge of the AC is in overcoming a rigged contest, but there are limits to that before it damages the event overall.  I would include trying to leverage a public health crisis for competitive advantage as stepping over those boundaries.

The tangled web of figures and entities whose goals don't just include winning a boat race, but real estate rights and development deals, and exploiting the Cup for maximum gains, while disrespecting some of its fundamental tenets, has robbed the AC of much of its appeal.  Sadly, it seems, nobody can claim the high ground in that regard any longer.

Add to that potpourri of woes the defender checking in with the contenders before the AC kicks off.

All the excitement expectation and intrigue of the first five minutes off the line those golden words higher faster all wiped from the event for what purpose exactly.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gissie said:

So clever Jizzmat. Your mum must be so proud. Unlike you, I am happy to hold opinions that the internet bullies like to enforce. Part of the way to do that is to not give a flying about those that just fling insults. Those like yourself over this particular episode. It seems to have blinded some in this community. Rational thought has flown out the window, perhaps never to return in your case.

Who knows, more importantly who cares.

So calling all at ETNZ  Arabs was a term of endearment? Right I got you now, that’s what you call all your mates isn’t it? 

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

We took the cautious approach, and it worked. Once LR loses the Americas Cup, and goes back to their own Covid ravaged country, they'll realise what they've enjoyed in New Zealand is a privilege we have afforded them. Turning your back on the people who have afforded you that privilege in the name of a rule written in a time that was much different, amidst a worldwide pandemic, will be a tough pill to swallow, as will going home empty handed with what will likely be an irreparably damaged relationship with ETNZ that will see them as just another Challenger with no power and no rights, should they decide to challenge again.

As an ex Tory party member who left in disgust....I can assure you that they have some right c*&ts in that party who are against lock down because it’s hurting their business interests. Even the the Tories are better than Labour or the Liberals....which is not saying much 

Perseverance Has Successfully Landed on Mars!

And I thought the AC75 was complicated!  :rolleyes:

It took a bit of rock from the Pilbarra (WA, Aust) with it, as well as some Aussie-designed analysis equipment.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

It took a bit of rock from the Pilbarra (WA, Aust) with it, as well as some Aussie-designed analysis equipment.

Well that's just showing off. 

2 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Well that's just showing off. 

They used GPS SSPS and Facial Topography Recognition software to find a comfy spot to land.

34 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

So calling all at ETNZ  Arabs was a term of endearment? Right I got you now, that’s what you call all your mates isn’t it? 

Not a term of endearment at all. They use the name of my country in their own name. For me that means they need to show some respect, both to themselves and the other competitors. In this instance they have not done this.

Why is something we will probably never know. There are several possibilities, Dalts is pissed they stopped being a poodle, Dalts wants his new poodle to have a chance, Dalts is pissed Prada are talking to Ernesto.

In the end it doesn't matter to me, they have stepped over the line. After all the shit about Ernesto and Larry, they then pull this shit. So to me they can be representatives of the other country implicated in the name. So to me they are Arabs. I am not claiming, despite your attempts to pretend otherwise, that this makes all Arabs assholes, just I would prefer they stop pretending to be representing Kiwis.

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

They used GPS SSPS and Facial Topography Recognition software to find a comfy spot to land.

Well our kiwi rockets can make it to low earth orbit. But landing stuff on Mars does sound cooler. Australasian mission to the moon maybe? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gissie said:

In the end it doesn't matter to me, they have stepped over the line. After all the shit about Ernesto and Larry, they then pull this shit. So to me they can be representatives of the other country implicated in the name. So to me they are Arabs. I am not claiming, despite your attempts to pretend otherwise, that this makes all Arabs assholes, just I would prefer they stop pretending to be representing Kiwis.

Your hatred of Dalts aside...There is no comparison between what Larry and Ernesto did, and what ACE proposed.

First, there was no fucking world wide pandemic back then.

Second, there has been no storming of a race official boat, or ordering of Race officials to stand down during a pre start sequence.

3rd, everyone was fine with replacing a class rule mid cycle in 2017, yet aren't fine with delaying one week, due to regulations surrounding a worldwide pandemic.

And last, you're a fucking clown if you think its somehow funny, or cool, or whatever your smarmy little head thinks it is to call them Arabs.

However, I'll be here when they win, and you jump back on the ETNZ bandwagon and claim to be a long time supporter:)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Well our kiwi rockets can make it to low earth orbit. But landing stuff on Mars does sound cooler. Australasian mission to the moon maybe? 

We have some catching up with the Kiwis to do yet... still working on the latest boomerang design. Has future potential for Gravity Assist I believe.

• Like 1

Predict wind will be wrong.

Here's what I reckon. 

Saturday. The SW wind be a bit up and down during the first three quarters of daylight. At 4pm it'll be around 10 to 12 knots SW and slowly drop until about an hour before dusk when it goes 5 knots variable. 

Sunday. It'll start out SW and then shift North. The sea breeze will kick to NE and rise to 8 knots. 

There'll be a crazy amount of absolutely insane piss heads on the water piloting their gin palaces like blind retarded kids ride bicycles. Steer well clear and watch the tears and excuses by Sir Sobs alot Ben. 

Good luck Frackers, you'll need it. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Little known fact: it was a Kiwi that put the Aussie rock on Perseverance.

Shifting our unwanted neighbours off the planet, a few 100g at a time ..