• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Please just stick to the facts and not your opinion.  You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this all works.  The flu is down because of all the hand washing, social distancing, mask wearing,

Posted Images

1 minute ago, erdb said:

I wonder if the wind dropped a little. During the first lap, INEOS seemed competitive, they made a nice gain downwind. But since the 2nd lap, they're hopeless.

I think being ahead at these speeds is more of an advantage than we're used to since you can see the pressure and sail into it. Especially with sea breeze like today. So Italy can pretty easily pick the right side.

So INEOS is forced to split to catch up, but they never gain an advantage since it's never the better side.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, us7070 said:

not compared to actual match racing

Much better than most starts in the last 2 or 3 AC's. What you have to realise is that 10 boat lenghts today is like 2,5 boat lenghts  on a IACC. This boats are 4x faster

1 minute ago, chuso007 said:

Much better than most starts in the last 2 or 3 AC's. What you have to realise is that 10 boat lenghts today is like 2 boat lenghts  on a IACC. This boats are 5x faster

there is very little pre-start engagement in these boats

nothing happened tactically in that pre-start that i don't see in pretty much every race i do.

high-level match racing once had quite a lot of pre-start engagement, with continual attack and defense

what did this race have?

A luff on the starting line - big deal...

• Like 2
Just now, us7070 said:

nothing happened tactically in that pre-start that i don't see in pretty much every race i do.

high-level match racing once had quite a lot of pre-start engagement, with continual attack and defense

what did this race have?

A luff at 30 knots> a dial up at 6 knots

• Like 1

Everyone seems to be saying losing the start is what’s losing it for Ineos, 

I’m not convinced even if Ineos won the start they could keep Luna Rosa at bay. 

• Like 1

Kenny's explanation for the start penalty makes it make even less sense to me

So they both got OCS penalties when the boats were equal. INEOS "gained an advantage" after the split, so then they have to get behind by 50m.

1. I don't understand the 50m things, that certainly isn't a good rule. Knowing this, Italy could have sandbagged 1 boat length and claimed they gained an advantage. Or executed a poor tack and INEOS would be penalized for it.

2. Secondly, the right side of the course was favored (it was because of the starboard favored end), so on an even split you would expect INEOS to cross.

I think this is a much more controversial call than people are making it out to be. Unless I'm missing something here.

3 minutes ago, us7070 said:

what did this race have?

Don't watch it then. Did you have a crappy day?

33 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I don't think he foxed, I think he has a faster boat.

At the start LR slowed enough to close the RH side of the line.

Just now, Barnyb said:

Hey Tina.

Look at all the boats out there.

Summer weekend in Akld eh.

Who would have guessed?

It could've been yesterday...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, erdb said:

Even if INEOS won the start, there is no way they could keep LR behind.

i think it's not clear.

Both the boats and the narrow course greatly favor the boat ahead, so of course leads tend to just grow.

I think it's potentially a problem for the racing format.

The boat behind just doesn't have any weapons.

Something needs to be changed to give the trailing boat a chance.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:

Most opti sailors would know you are not going to be given room inside at the start mark, what made Ben think he was special?

Yep got greedy wanted the right. He could have juuust ducked and got a hook instead. Or just couldn't see and chickened out

4 minutes ago, jsn7821 said:

So they both got OCS penalties when the boats were equal. INEOS "gained an advantage" after the split, so then they have to get behind by 50m.

1. I don't understand the 50m things, that certainly isn't a good rule. Knowing this, Italy could have sandbagged 1 boat length and claimed they gained an advantage. Or executed a poor tack and INEOS would be penalized for it.

Both had OCS -> neutralised.

But Ineos was barging in, failed to keep clear -> 2nd penalty.

Then their tack to starboard actually gave them advantage -> 3rd penalty because not allowed to gain advantage from a foul.

VMG penalties are dumb.

If not a traditional turn it should be something like come up/down to 90deg to true for 50m instead.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Yep got greedy wanted the right. He could have juuust ducked and got a hook instead. Or just couldn't see and chickened out

They're not fast enough to get a hook.

Just now, minimumfuss said:

Totally agree, prada would have gone early, Ben should have ducked, looked like he was going to then changed his mind. 

In the between-start fodder, seeing a little girl holding up RULE BRITANNIA sign was cute. A delicious epitaph to the colonial privilege, the ol' uncle having to explain "sweetheart, that is how it used to be like..." Yeah, I have now picked (the winning) side.

3 minutes ago, .......................... said:

If it defends the cup with a win it is a machine of beauty, but to me it looks like a ugly roto-molded hobie wave .... 

No no.

Look at those foils

Look at the bottom of the sail

Look at the deck layout......

5 minutes ago, BOI Guy said:

Totally agree, prada would have gone early, Ben should have ducked, looked like he was going to then changed his mind. 

JS dove and BA thought he had a spot, didn't count on JS luffing so hard.

4 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

I think it is very hard to get the hook in these boats. They accelerate so fast when on the foils that they can just keep ahead of you.

15 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

Everyone seems to be saying losing the start is what’s losing it for Ineos, 

I’m not convinced even if Ineos won the start they could keep Luna Rosa at bay. 

Would be nice to at least find out....LR have been flawless, virtually no mistakes really!!

2 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

No no.

Look at those foils

Look at the bottom of the sail

Look at the deck layout......

Look at the fellas sailing it.

Look at the fellas who built it

Look at the people who support it 

A beauty.

7 minutes ago, .......................... said:

If it defends the cup with a win it is a machine of beauty, but to me it looks like a ugly roto-molded hobie wave .... 

Rotomolded yes but escape not hobie (someone posted similar as immediate response at launch)

img_6Q07kXUcrH.jpg

8 minutes ago, us7070 said:

I think it's potentially a problem for the racing format. 

The boat behind just doesn't have any weapons.

Yes, these courses are too tiny & too narrow for these beasts

• Like 2
Just now, The_Alchemist said:

I think it is very hard to get the hook in these boats. They accelerate so fast when on the foils that they can just keep ahead of you.

Correct but I think in this instance he then wouldn't be OCS and Jimmy would have still been.. So penalty either way. But then I am in my lazyboy drinking beer watching replays. 

• Like 1
Just now, hoom said:

Rotomolded yes but escape not hobie (someone posted similar as immediate response at launch)

img_6Q07kXUcrH.jpg

Yes, these courses are too tiny & too narrow for these beasts

Steady, I love my hobie 

Sorry I keep flogging this, but sheesh, is the commentary pro-GB. Fuck 'em. They are being out-sailed and out-engineered, BA's gold medals don't seem to be helping...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Especially against, Jimmy.

1 minute ago, Physalia said:

Sorry I keep flogging this, but sheesh, is the commentary pro-GB. Fuck 'em. They are being out-sailed and out-engineered, BA's gold medals don't seem to be helping...

Maybe they just want to see a contest