What happens to flow hysteresis on the foils when they go from counteracting leeway to suddenly having aoa from the other direction- like when Spithill tried to turn to the left, with the main feathering?  Could that be why LR fell off her foils?

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Amati said:

What happens to flow hysteresis on the foils when they go from counteracting leeway to suddenly having aoa from the other direction- like when Spithill tried to turn to the left, with the main feathering?  Could that be why LR fell off her foils?

Ah, yes. At the point I made earlier, was the bow coming down because of the turn up and associated balance issues. Then you go quickly into the situation you note here and it just goes more pear shaped. I guess it all comes down to what we are referring to by "coming off the foils".

Probably easiest to look at it as one situation where I described the way in and you the continuance. All good, I think we are on the same page.

• Like 1

On the other hand, if in Race 5 INEOS had hooked Luna Rosa, the would have pushed them over the line and probably not been over themselves.  

I am so good at this!

SHC

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Auckland is in Level 2, which allows 100 people to gather in one place. 

Nice shots.

If I had to bet then it’d be on a 1-1 race score line coming up today. But dang.. It could end with two Prada wins to take the Prada Cup.

• Like 1
Just now, Steve Clark said:

On the other hand, if in Race 5 INEOS had hooked Luna Rosa, the would have pushed them over the line and probably not been over themselves.  

I am so good at this!

SHC

:lol:

Just now, Steve Clark said:

I am so good at this!

SHC

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, right.

3 minutes ago, not from this world said:

Just not big on playing the what if game.

Have we actually seen a real hook in this edition?

BA went for a good hook during the first weekend, it was very close to being successful but JS saw it coming and the gamble cost BA. 

It’s hard to quantify the influence of Philippe Presti but there have been several subtle salutays to him by Prada guys in interviews. He has been a tutor for JS since... hmm not sure but has to a decade?

Good Luck Ineos.

It would be great to see you get a couple of races today to keep this series alive.

The odds are against you but I wish you well.

• Like 2

Northeast, 15 - 16 knots forecast for this afternoon. Looks like it might be pretty solid too. Fingers crossed, we can let the sailors do the talking. Go LRPP.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Presently a really nice NNE average 12 knots peak 15 knots may be a bit more to come later this afternoon.

Well, I guess we will see if speculation regarding INEOS having a performance edge in breezier conditions has any merit or if it's just bullshit.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

It looked to me that LR did head up somewhere in here, before all the spray- at that point the Brits headed up, and LR looked to be falling off- kind of an oh shit moment for everybody, but at those speeds how much time did either have, once everybody was committed- LR did the little luff, and then the Brits couldn’t bail without a turn to the right, and LR looked to be falling off (and fell off the foils for a few seconds) to get out of the way?  Did Ineos skid a bit to the left?  I think part of the excitement may have been that LR, when she fell, caught the hull keel, and that limited steerage?

Remember that these boats have safety diamonds that are not allowed to overlap, it’s not a simple case of avoiding collision,

INEOS not only overlapped diamonds, its diamond overlapped LR’s hull, so in the umpire’s mind, INEOS collided heavily with LR. It absolutely deserved a penalty.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amati said:

It looked to me that LR did head up somewhere in here, before all the spray- at that point the Brits headed up, and LR looked to be falling off- kind of an oh shit moment for everybody, but at those speeds how much time did either have, once everybody was committed- LR did the little luff, and then the Brits couldn’t bail without a turn to the right, and LR looked to be falling off (and fell off the foils for a few seconds) to get out of the way?  Did Ineos skid a bit to the left?  I think part of the excitement may have been that LR, when she fell, caught the hull keel, and that limited steerage?

4 minutes ago, RobG said:

Remember that these boats have a safety diamonds that are not allowed to overlap, it’s not a simple case of avoiding collision,

INEOS not only overlapped diamonds, its diamond overlapped LR’s hull, so in the umpire’s mind, INEOS collided heavily with LR. It absolutely deserved a penalty.

I agree with @RobG even to the point that JS bore away at around -8secs and BA continued to close gauge, it put all of the onus on BA and JS was free to luff as he pleased.

BA got suckered, no wonder he didn't make an issue of it at the presser.

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, very good by Mozzy. 

JS and BA were both extremely aggressive in that start, it was dangerous but the best line-action of AC36 so far! 

There’s more action in a rum race than this entire series

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Steady 12 knots at A buoy right now. Gusting 14 on 30 second waves. 

Thank you for update, nap until 0400 then espresso and watch.

When Prada wins everything? On my way to Cagliari I am going to buy my friend Dorin’s git, and as part of the happiness he will get an even more awesome Fender Tele. 

Go Luna Rossa Prada today! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

When Prada wins everything? On my way to Cagliari I am going to buy my friend Dorin’s git, and as part of the happiness he will get an even more awesome Fender Tele. 

Go Luna Rossa Prada today! 

Honestly Stinger, I think it's pretty unlikely ETNZ losing regardless of the challenger.

I'd be sad if the did lose, but I'm sure LR would be a fantastic host.

3 hours ago, WindySurfer said:

This shot shows a clear windward leeward infraction.  The rules say the windward boat fouls by failing to keep clear if the leeward boat cannot make an immediate maneuver.  If Italy were to go head to wind here immediately as is there right they could have easily collided.

Sir Ben is still reamains very agressive on W/L situation.
Remember Bermuda?

6 minutes ago, not from this world said:

Hadn't seen that before, what a dickhead. He really is an arrogant cunt.

from memory he got the kiwis as well.... oh and a dock

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

First race, Jimmy totally suckered Ben into barging and slammed the door, sorta like giving a little room to a guard driving the key and then blocking the shot straight into his face. I love that shit. 

Second race Ben had a huge speed build reaching down the line 34 vs 31 knots that they used to gain altitude and force the tack. Nice call by Gilles to Lee Bow the first cross and grab the pressure on the left. 

I think they all give up boat lengths on the mark roundings. Watch that tighten up soon. 

To gain altitude..? Love it......:D

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Well, I guess we will see if speculation regarding INEOS having a performance edge in breezier conditions has any merit or if it's just bullshit.

Not an edge.......just closer in boat speed and especially maneuvers. More of a level playing field.

One cant help hoping Ineos put in a couple of great races here to preserve the PC series .

1 minute ago, captainSackSparrow said:

That's charming. I love how you've come to that conclusion from that 10 second clip

I love how you think that is all I am basing it on.

Just now, terrafirma said:

And you still need to call him Sir for the trouble..!

ROYAL Investiture 111946.JPG.gallery.jpg

You're right, sorry. Sir cunt....

59 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Honestly Stinger, I think it's pretty unlikely ETNZ losing regardless of the challenger.

I'd be sad if the did lose, but I'm sure LR would be a fantastic host.

you can bet this lot are getting interested as well

https://www.dw.com/en/mob-ladies-womens-roles-in-the-italian-mafia-are-growing/a-1196395

3 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Any anarchists on scene w/ a weather update?  Twiddling my thumbs in NA waiting patiently for my TV feed.

lovely day, breeze is in and up a bit (+10 knots here) should be a cracker

14 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Not an edge.......just closer in boat speed and especially maneuvers. More of a level playing field.

One cant help hoping Ineos put in a couple of great races here to preserve the PC series .

Indeed.

It's pretty much impossible to know what we will see.

It's quite possible for LR to have an edge still or for INEOS to have a very significant edge.

However for INEOS to win this, they are going to have to sail consistently a lot better.

I really did think they would beat the faster boat with better tactics, but it is LR that have had the best of the tactics.

6 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I keep checking the YouTube channel but no link yet. Could someone post a link and splain how you found it?  I always panic at 6:55 ..... 

generally Y T starts at 4.00pm nz TIME

Just now, not from this world said:

You need to scroll the live stream section, it is listed after yesterdays, daft.

yeah the layout is terrible, I'm always hoping it will show up at the top, it's even worse on a smart tv

14 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Or maybe 2!  Might have to resort to an adult beverage, definitely after 1700hrs here.

We usually start about 40 minutes earlier over here. :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, zenmasterfred said:

Any anarchists on scene w/ a weather update?  Twiddling my thumbs in NA waiting patiently for my TV feed.

14.5 Knots at the moment. Nowhere near what was forecast by Predict Wind 2 days out..! Predict wind has been far from accurate and so much so the Italians say they don't even look at the forecasts anymore LOL. Anyway plenty of breeze and an opportunity for Ben to stay in this if he's up to it?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, terrafirma said:

14.5 Knots at the moment. Nowhere near what was forecast by Predict Wind 2 days out..! Predict wind has been far from accurate and so much so the Italians say they don't even look at the forecasts anymore LOL. Anyway plenty of breeze and an opportunity for Ben to stay in this if he's up to it?

should make for an interesting pre start at least

To be fair 14knts on the top of rangi light, am sure this over reads in  a NE as the wind flows around the volcano, and the 14.9 in takapuna is at the top of the tallest building for miles. I'd guess at 12 at sea / mast level, but we'll find out v soon. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

And you still need to call him Sir for the trouble..!

ROYAL Investiture 111946.JPG.gallery.jpg

Can't believe they even still do this stupid shit in the 21st century. That's not even the fucking queen is it? Does it even count?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Can't believe they even still do this stupid shit in the 21st century

Agree, a family that can go around calling themselves "royals" is an absurd anachronism.

• Like 3

Is there a blog or livefeed commentary for those of us in country where youtube is shut out and my hosts do not have NBC feed.

2 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Will they race every day if LR does not close them out today?

Think the next scheduled race day is Wednesday, I'm open to correction on that tho

8 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Can't believe they even still do this stupid shit in the 21st century. That's not even the fucking queen is it? Does it even count?

dunno, dobbyn does scrub up well though

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, IPLore said:

Is there a blog or livefeed commentary for those of us in country where youtube is shut out and my hosts do not have NBC feed.

Simple solution is to VPN. But maybe you are not familiar with this? You could download "EPIC" browser and once installed, click the little icon on the right of the toolbar end of red arrow in first image.

Select ON and France. (see second image)

Then go to youtube. don't log in if you have a google account.

Search "Americas Cup"

Select video you want to watch.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

3 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Think the next scheduled race day is Wednesday, I'm open to correction on that tho

24th is cutoff date non?

8 minutes ago, Flags said:

Simple solution is to VPN. But maybe you are not familiar with this? You could download "EPIC" browser and once installed, click the little icon on the right of the toolbar end of red arrow in first image.

Select ON and France. (see second image)

Then go to youtube. don't log in if you have a google account.

Search "Americas Cup"

Select video you want to watch.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

@IPLore does this not work for you?