Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a race like that is why the committee was correct in postponing the race so many times. I think that the race was worth the wait.  Cheers to the Race Committee!

Semi Final Race 1 book is open - hit like for an AM win, dislike for LRPP.  Don’t sit on the fence now!

Funny when I click on the cup site I get this:

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

Plays “Price is wrong” theme

going by the bizarre angles, stops and starts and that small raped bull I'd be picking "Dueling Banjoes" for this soiree

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Good that Grant did not chose cats, as he told us they would have broken in that conditions.

Actually, based on the NYC event they'd be drifting backwards in these conditions

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rh3000 said:

Having failed at trolling people and teams, troll coward has resorted to simply trolling the weather now.

As usual you comment without knowing what you talk about, i even wonder if you sail

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GSBTom said:

AM in a lot of trouble if they can’t move in this light stuff...

There's no ass end on that boat. Has to be bad for flow when actually connected to the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

With 6 fckg races they don't have one with wind ?

Early in the season - trust me, when it blows in Auckland it blows. I have umpired the Nespresso Youths and we had the umpire boat up on full plane to keep up with the Elliots 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Good that Grant did not chose cats, as he told us they would have broken in that conditions.

It's over, so please deal with it. This one is about foiling monohulls.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

As usual you comment without knowing what you talk about, i even wonder if you sail

So in the last cup, when the cats were displacement sailing, did they finish the racing before the time limit?

The 72's couldn't, and the LV Finals in 2017, Artemis v ETNZ, nope.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

LOL 1 second off two DNF's for the day.  Geez Deano will trip on his bottom lip!

No DNFs in Match Racing only "1" or "0"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shanghaisailor said:

No DNFs in Match Racing only "1" or "0"

It's the AC.  In the first race AM did  not complete the course within 5 mins of INEOS.  4:59 in the second.  Yes in terms of the Prada cup it isn't a DNF but technically they didn't finish the course.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to me like it was about who could find wind, and stay in it longer. Lot of skill in the GB team.

AM have borrowed the Achilles Hell?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kate short for Bob said:

It's the AC.  In the first race AM did  not complete the course within 5 mins of INEOS.  4:59 in the second.  Yes in terms of the Prada cup it isn't a DNF but technically they didn't finish the course.

As Queen Victoria was told in 1851 "Ma'am, There is no second" ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaxHugen said:

Looks to me like it was about who could find wind, and stay in it longer. Lot of skill in the GB team.

AM have borrowed the Achilles Hell?

As a sailing hero of mine was reported to say "Any damn fool can make a boat go fast when there is lots of wind" and he was one of the hardest driving skippers you could imagine.

BTW, I love the way that, in the post race interviews, Ben deflects the praise to the team. I think Giles has done an amazing job over the past couple of days

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

So does AM suck in light air because they have the least (by far) volume in the bustle or is it the foils?

Perhaps AM sucks in light air because they're IN lighter air for a start?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed second race today - work. 
So light like the first today, Ineos got a big shift and won ?

did race finish on time ?

was it like the morning race ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think we just saw why NZ and particularly Auckland turns out some of the world's best sailors. Very very tricky winds with tide pushing you around. Make the right calls and you're greased light lightning, wrong side you're driftwood. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redreuben said:

I missed second race today - work. 
So light like the first today, Ineos got a big shift and won ?

did race finish on time ?

was it like the morning race ?

 Ineos nailed start.  AM penalty at start box entry no chance to foil game over 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm going to get slapped down hard for saying this but, I found this light wind day extremely compelling! It's been a while since I have found myself shouting at a monitor.

 

 

 

 

 

And since I am not on the "RAH RAH for my country, fuck everyone else nationalist train" quite happy with the result.

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zillafreak said:

Twice and during two races where the other team finds the air? No

It was meant to indicate that AM just aren't getting to the pressure like their opponents.

If there was such a thing as "Man of the Match",  I'd suggest Giles Scott would have earned it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, animeproblem said:

I know I'm going to get slapped down hard for saying this but, I found this light wind day extremely compelling! It's been a while since I have found myself shouting at a monitor.

And since I am not on the "RAH RAH for my country, fuck everyone else nationalist train" quite happy with the result.

Nothing wrong in supporting your country, it’s good to have a bit of patriotic fever, as long as it doesn’t go too far.

P.S. I’m not slapping you down 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

 Ineos nailed start.  AM penalty at start box entry no chance to foil game over 

Oh Dear, didn’t expect that, Ineos in the light ! 
Who’d a thunk it ! Though after yesterday I spoke no one is that surprised  

RULE BRITANNIA !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zeusproject said:

 Ineos nailed start.  AM penalty at start box entry no chance to foil game over 

I think AM's mistake was less in being early at the entry, but in not accepting a 50m penalty and staying on the foils.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Nothing wrong in supporting your country, it’s good to have a bit of patriotic fever, as long as it doesn’t go too far.

P.S. I’m not slapping you down 

I can see that, I was more concerned about my opinion of the light wind/boo hoo it wasn't foiling 100%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I think AM's mistake was less in being early at the entry, but in not accepting a 50m penalty and staying on the foils.

AM's biggest mistake was probably to wrongly guess weather conditions and choose the wrong foils, which is why we need some wind to really compare boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, minimumfuss said:

Think we just saw why NZ and particularly Auckland turns out some of the world's best sailors. Very very tricky winds with tide pushing you around. Make the right calls and you're greased light lightning, wrong side you're driftwood. 

And how many Aucklanders were onboard when they won the Cup in Bermuda, let me think zero.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AM lost two starts through bad mistakes and started both races way behind and off the foils.

They also made gambles with sail choice.

They can't blame the weather for either loss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nutta said:

nother 30m of purile filler from the talking heads... Just making a nice, refreshing cup of hemlock tea.

worked well.... put me to frikkin sleep - missed race 2....... feck!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arr4ws said:

Outteridge on AM?  

If it was at all possible my vote is do it!

 

Dean & Mandy are nice people, Deans father is a top bloke, Rudder issues, control pack issues whatever.... Terry, a call needs to be made..... Dean is not stepping up, tentative in his communication, could not make a decision to save himself today.... and we all have had days like that (or worse)..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DialedN_07 said:

Why why why does AM come into the windward mark with both foils down and purposely park the boat.....WTF!

 

They kind of remind me of Oracle early on in the SF match. Terry and Dean belong in a different boat and era.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DialedN_07 said:

Why why why does AM come into the windward mark with both foils down and purposely park the boat.....WTF!

 

Fuck knows, but they've driven that boat like a Humber 80 both days now. 

Just pitiful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Early in the season - trust me, when it blows in Auckland it blows. I have umpired the Nespresso Youths and we had the umpire boat up on full plane to keep up with the Elliots 

Shit are you an Umpire, I must have missed that after all you have only mentioned it about fifty times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mako23 said:

That’s showing your age me think 

My teacher had one at school and even then it was a fucking old car.

But yeah, no spring chicken here.

Bit younger than Deano.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

AM's biggest mistake was probably to wrongly guess weather conditions and choose the wrong foils, which is why we need some wind to really compare boats.

It may have been, but I don't recall AM ever using any large foils. They seem to have taken the same tack as NZ, with a narrow high speed foil for all conditions.

I thought GB just outclassed them in strategy/ability... they managed to find the puffs more often.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piet56 said:

If it was at all possible my vote is do it!

 

Dean & Mandy are nice people, Deans father is a top bloke, Rudder issues, control pack issues whatever.... Terry, a call needs to be made..... Dean is not stepping up, tentative in his communication, could not make a decision to save himself today.... and we all have had days like that (or worse)..... 

Has Deano ever really stepped up though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rudder_NZ said:

I have heard rumours that ETNZ sold Inneos their system that integrates with the FCS. Source is people who could in theory have that knowledge but I somehow doubt ETNZ would do this. Unless inneos has agreed to help ETNZ practice after the Prada Cup. 

It makes sense, but I doubt ETNZ would have "sold" them the entire caboodle. Someone on here claimed that Team Brexit were going to be the CoR in AC37 if we defend successfully, so it makes sense that ETNZ would help sort out their FCS integration into their ECC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Prada Cup RRs don't really matter all that much. I think AM is playing the long game, planning to contest the semi-final. They've got a lot of time to test and try out new configurations without committing to any of them before the semis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long before a race can you change out foils ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redreuben said:

How long before a race can you change out foils ?

I believe it's 24 hrs before a race for the round robins, then 120 hrs for the finals, and Cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I believe it's 24 hrs before a race for the round robins, then 120 hrs for the finals, and Cup.

It's 2 days for RRs I think and 5 days for the cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

It's 2 days for RRs I think and 5 days for the cup.

OK, thought someone said the Prada Cup finals were also 5 days. Not sure.  Details were posted here, but which topic? Hundreds of posts to try to find it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s crazy, so having the right foils for the conditions is based on what you knew 5 days ago ? That’s bullshit. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites