Sailing instruments for 30' sport Boat

Here are a few options with prices 

Ray Marine i70 System Pack with Wind, Depth & Speed Transducers  $1500

B&G Triton² Digital Display Depth, Speed & Wind Pack $1700

GARMIN GNX™ Wireless Sail Pack 52 with Wired Masthead Sensor, Two Displays, and Depth Transducer  $1418

11 hours ago, Kmullen said:

Here are a few options with prices 

Ray Marine i70 System Pack with Wind, Depth & Speed Transducers  $1500

B&G Triton² Digital Display Depth, Speed & Wind Pack $1700

GARMIN GNX™ Wireless Sail Pack 52 with Wired Masthead Sensor, Two Displays, and Depth Transducer  $1418

Defender has the B&G Triton depth speed wind package with two displays for $1599

i am thinking of getting it for my 30ft sprit boat

i currently have tacktick, but it has been a pain - i am going to try to get it working better, and if i can't i will probably buy the B&G

I don't know, but I don't think there is anything with more advance wind calibration - say like the H5000 hercules - at this price range

i am thinking i can use those displays on the mast mount, and maybe get one more for a total of 3

I bought the triton pack from defender before there was a wireless wind option, added that a couple seasons ago. All of that is coupled with a Zeus2 9", so the overall cost was a bit more than the $2k budget but it has been a really good system overall.

• Like 1

Still happy with my bl/w Tacktick aka Raymarine wireless. If it realy get's wet (sportsboat??) no cable and no power connection is a BIG plus!

Also no holes for cables - no battrie (or empty) NO problem it's sun driven....

Sailmaster system speed /deph / compass

If wind is needed just add.

I use Raymarine but would buy b&g for that application. Triton displays allow for firmware upgrades over usb and without a plotter, where Raymarine requires a plotter. Raymarine i70 has more flexible display options, but b&g has a better wind instrument and their newish wireless one would be a good choice for a sport boat.

Raymarine Outlet has amazing deals when flir owned them, not sure if that is still true.  I bought 4 i70 and i70s displays for $250ea, which took the sting out of having my old st70 displays stolen...

17 hours ago, Alex W said:

I use Raymarine but would buy b&g for that application. Triton displays allow for firmware upgrades over usb and without a plotter, where Raymarine requires a plotter.

Cool, I didn't know that they added that feature with the Triton 2's. I have a B&G Triton 1 W/S/D package on our non-sporty 30 footer and have to do updates through our B&G Vulcan chartplotter.  Because our boat is a tiller boat, when we added an AP we bought the Raymarine Evo tiller pilot because it seemed like the best option at the time and found that it needed an update to work properly without the rudder reference sensor. So, ended up buying a new old stock Ray chart plotter on Ebay to do the updates. I keep the Ray plotter as a backup and have it so I can plug it into the system for updates as needed. 

Kind of dumb to have to go through that, but it seemed cheaper in the long run than have a tech come to the boat for the occasional update. Both B&G and Raymarine have rolled out updates over the last few years to add features to their various products, although they are less frequent or have stopped on the older stuff. 

Sometime being able to upgrade over NMEA 2000 is more convenient. Particularly when the USB port is not easily accessible where the display is mounted. 

I had TackTick when I had my J/30 (full wind, depth, speed & Racemaster compass) and was satisfied with it.  When I moved to a J/109 the original Nexus and Raymarine stuff was eventually replaced with all B&G, now with H5000 which would be overkill for a 30 foot boat.  The B&G Triton 2 depth/speed/wind pack is a good deal, easy to integrate and very easy to upgrade in the future.  The displays are very readable in all conditions. The B&G stuff is definitely better than the TackTick.

Big picture - if you plan on getting an Autopilot, it is best to consider one that is the same brand as any chart plotter.  Overall integration is much better with pilot controls. I had a Raymarine plotter and Raymarine course computer that integrated well.  During the transition to B&G with Zeus 3 I kept the Raymarine course computer and only had minimal integrations (e.g. sail by course, wind or gps point, but no interactive controls on display).  Once I updated the pilot controller to B&G, the controls on the Zeus 3 were fully functional.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, us7070 said:

Defender has the B&G Triton depth speed wind package with two displays for $1599

i am thinking of getting it for my 30ft sprit boat

i currently have tacktick, but it has been a pain - i am going to try to get it working better, and if i can't i will probably buy the B&G

I don't know, but I don't think there is anything with more advance wind calibration - say like the H5000 hercules - at this price range

i am thinking i can use those displays on the mast mount, and maybe get one more for a total of 3

I put the B&G system into my boat last year and love it. 

I am happy with my B&G, read about in practical sailor magazine.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/marine-electronics/testing-the-bg-zeus3-nav-system

I am biased towards B&G focus on sensor precision and good math that matters when sailing in tidal currents that often exceed 1.2 knots as I do. Having good true wind angle relative to water), polar generated performance information, and decent true wind angle (relative to ground), is so helpful to have in self-evaluating performance.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:41 PM, Irrational 14 said:

Around the Cans - Velocitek Pro Start.

Coastal and Random Leg - Prostart/B&G Triton w/Tablet running Navionics.

Very much along the lines I'm thinking of with the addition of AIS. Looks eminently doable with one of the combination AIS/GPS Wifi multiplexers. Needs the right antenna and splitter.

Going to call around next week but in the meantime... Can data traffic be two-way? Meaning can waypoint distance and bearing as calculated in Navionics (or OpenCPN) on the tablet be displayed on the Tritons?

Given your budget I'd go with a B&G Triton setup + a Velocitek Pro Start if you race bouys. 

Since these are lower end instruments there are some limitations you need to know about.  In my experience with both Raymarine and B&G triton systems the Heading and Apparent Wind data are accurate once calibrated. The limited number of calibration points means that the BSP can be made accurate for low and moderate speeds but will be a few knots off at planing speeds. Raymarine seems worse in the calibration department due to fewer data points that can be put into the tables.

The true wind direction data from low end systems is garbage from a tactical standpoint and can't be improved due to a lack of calibration tables to to account for things like upwash from sails, boundary layer characteristics that change with speed/heel, etc.  Even with higher end systems (H5000, NKE) it takes days of calibration work to get to the point where TWD is consistent on both tacks at a range of heel angles, wind angles, and wind speeds.

With that said I don't think cheaper systems are useless. You just need to know and use the data that can be trusted (HDG, AWS, AWA, BSP). That puts you a ways ahead of the sailor with no instrumentation.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, timz3818 said:

Given your budget I'd go with a B&G Triton setup + a Velocitek Pro Start if you race bouys. 

This is a tried and true combo in one designs like the J70, Melges 20 and 24.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, KnockedDown said:

Very much along the lines I'm thinking of with the addition of AIS. Looks eminently doable with one of the combination AIS/GPS Wifi multiplexers. Needs the right antenna and splitter.

Going to call around next week but in the meantime... Can data traffic be two-way? Meaning can waypoint distance and bearing as calculated in Navionics (or OpenCPN) on the tablet be displayed on the Tritons?

Got my answer. Yes if "bi-directional". Duh.

We have been using the B&G Triton 2 setup on our 30 footer and I really like it. Easy and works very well. Displays are very bright and easy to read. We also just picked up a Velocitek pro start this winter, cant comment on how well it works yet but looking forward to trying it out. 

As an adjunct: you can take NMEA data from most anything, and get it to a laptop/tablet/phone/watch/heads-up smart glasses

From there many choices on what you do with it, and where you display any more sophisticated calculations.

Spend your money now on reliable, accurate sensors, and basic low power draw displays. 

Wind speed and angle, 

Boat Speed
Depth (temperature is nice and usually comes with) 

GPS position, COG/SOG and heading, heel,  trim (i.e. B&G ZG100

Add in something like Expedition with more sophisticated calculations and displays when you are ready for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, KnockedDown said:

Got my answer. Yes if "bi-directional". Duh.

So the hardware solution seems to exist but when talking to a vendor, they said to make sure the navigation app can output NMEA data (0183 or N2K). Anyone know if Navionics (or any other Android nav app) does this? If so, which type of output? Plenty of references to receiving data (primarily AIS) and their SonarChart Live.

33 minutes ago, KnockedDown said:

So the hardware solution seems to exist but when talking to a vendor, they said to make sure the navigation app can output NMEA data (0183 or N2K). Anyone know if Navionics (or any other Android nav app) does this? If so, which type of output? Plenty of references to receiving data (primarily AIS) and their SonarChart Live.

Just now found Navionics chat feature. The answer is no, they don't export NMEA data.

If you want NMEA, it will cost you in some form. Just remember, all of that info is useless unless its fully calibrated. That's more work than you think.

The Garmin stuff looks good in that department, but I haven't used it personally.

20 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

If you want NMEA, it will cost you in some form. Just remember, all of that info is useless unless its fully calibrated. That's more work than you think.

The Garmin stuff looks good in that department, but I haven't used it personally.

We own a J/30 and switched from Nexus to all Garmin 2 years ago. Only issue is the wireless wind instrument when we are in the marina. I think it might be just too many other devices with signals going. Once out of the marina everything is fine. 

Zero regrets. Easy to install the system/backbone and all the bits and pieces. 

adding the 7” display to the mast this season. 

Yeah I like the the Garmin platform the more I read about it, including the fact that it comes with the black box for NMEA vs. optional with B&G.

Add to that their smart watch compatibility.

30 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

I like the the Garmin platform the more I read about it

I would encourage looking into support lifetime for products that you are considering.

From what I've seen Garmin makes minor updates to most products every year and immediately stops supporting the previous one.  B&G products have longer lifetimes (2-3 years) and so firmware updates come for quite a while and with some new features.  Raymarine also has products in the market for longer and has been supporting prior generation and current generation and makes significant feature updates (so my 5 year old Raymarine plotter just fell out of support), but has the worst sailing-specific features.