I am a big fan of Fisheries Supply.  They have been the go to vendor in the Puget Sound are for decades.  I'll drive past WM to shop there.

Finding and ordering parts online became more popular when Covid hit.  All good, website was easy to use and find what you are looking for, place it in will call. Pick up the next day.

Yesterday that changed

They have a new website.  Have a look and give your feed back.  

Fisheriessupply.com

I have shared my opinion.  Its not good

Quattro

Did an order a couple of days ago and it seemed to work. Got my stuff already. The only diff was that they wanted to keep my card on file, which I wrote to them about. Anyone know why they did the new site and what else changed?

1 hour ago, Not the fake Quattro said:

I am a big fan of Fisheries Supply.  They have been the go to vendor in the Puget Sound are for decades.  I'll drive past WM to shop there.

Finding and ordering parts online became more popular when Covid hit.  All good, website was easy to use and find what you are looking for, place it in will call. Pick up the next day.

Yesterday that changed

They have a new website.  Have a look and give your feed back.  

Fisheriessupply.com

I have shared my opinion.  Its not good

Quattro

I've always heard two clicks is the rule of thumb. Meaning customers want to find what they're looking for in two clicks or they get frustrated with the site, have a poor opinion of it and look for others that are easier/ quicker.  

Oh no, they upgraded the computers, it sucks, i hate it, its terrible! I likes the way it was, i just figured out the old system. why do thinga have to change, cant they just put it back?

And so it goes with every computer upgrade, from facebook, to quickbooks or windows the users alway whine and complain about changes that, almost always, are a step forward. 

There is an axiom in IT, "The users are always resistant to change." if end users had it there way nothing would ever change. 

Wah wah wah, Learn the new interface, give input on specific improvements..... HTFU FFS, and stop whininng!

• Like 3

I remeber how much everyine hatted it when SA changed format.  And in the end, seems kike that was a good choice. But what a lot of whining we had to listen to for a while. 

I was shocked when I logged in yesterday and found a new interface. It took all of 10 seconds to figure out how to get around. It's a lot cleaner, and the login button is now in the right place in the upper right hand corner. All to the good as far as I'm concerned. All that notwithstanding Fisheries is the same company doing business in the same way as far as customer service and support go, still stocking a wide variety of supplies, and still competitive prices. It's my first stop for boat stuff.

19 minutes ago, Baldur said:

I remeber how much everyine hatted it when SA changed format.  And in the end, seems kike that was a good choice. But what a lot of whining we had to listen to for a while. 

get ready for more whining as we have just begun the first phase of a total site redesign and rebuild!

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
50 minutes ago, Baldur said:

Yeah, I hated it initially, but have become used to it.  Not sure if the current one is an improvement though.  The one thing the old version did better was the search function.

2 hours ago, Baldur said:

Back in the really old days here you could see who was online. That was like 2002 or so...

I looked for my friends and trolls before I hit the forums then!

4 hours ago, Baldur said:

Oh no, they upgraded the computers, it sucks, i hate it, its terrible! I likes the way it was, i just figured out the old system. why do thinga have to change, cant they just put it back?

And so it goes with every computer upgrade, from facebook, to quickbooks or windows the users alway whine and complain about changes that, almost always, are a step forward. 

There is an axiom in IT, "The users are always resistant to change." if end users had it there way nothing would ever change. 

Wah wah wah, Learn the new interface, give input on specific improvements..... HTFU FFS, and stop whininng!

So you think the last "upgrade" to Yachtworld improved it?

New fisheries site is a huge improvement on the phone, which is where I do the majority of my shopping for line and boat bits. The previous version was nearly unusable when looking for something specific. 

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 11:33 AM, Baldur said:

yeah, but at least a couple iterations ago the search function worked.... that's never improved with the current flavor packets

On 12/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, Editor said:

get ready for more whining as we have just begun the first phase of a total site redesign and rebuild!

Well, like every other technological "upgrade", I will bitch and moan while flailing away at the keyboard trying to make heads or tails of all the new features, settling on a very basic few tasks nowhere near what cool stuff is available, then my kid will walk by and within seemingly a minute have it all figured out...

Is there a Sailing Anarchy print edition?

• Like 5
On 12/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, SloopJonB said:

Dont know of anything i cant do or is more difficult to do with the new version. To tell the truth, i dont really remeber what the differences are now.  Works dandy for me. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Baldur said:

Dont know of anything i cant do or is more difficult to do with the new version. To tell the truth, i dont really remeber what the differences are now.  Works dandy for me. 

Have you tried searching for a boat? It's a huge pain in the ass, really hard to narrow down search criteria, mostly you end up being shown 450' imaginary megayachts.

Thankfully au.yachtworld.com still has the old, functional advanced search.

The Fisheries redesign on the other hand is slick - nicely organized and works well.

On 12/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, sailingbeme said:

I've always heard two clicks is the rule of thumb. Meaning customers want to find what they're looking for in two clicks or they get frustrated with the site, have a poor opinion of it and look for others that are easier/ quicker.  

I've clicked only once (on 'Departments') to get this far.

fisheriessupply.thumb.png.3cdc56206688b20d57292953d34ed1ae.png

Phones don't support mouseover features though so take more clicks but it works fine on my phone.  You're whining.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, SloopJonB said:

2 hours ago, andykane said:

Have you tried searching for a boat? It's a huge pain in the ass, really hard to narrow down search criteria, mostly you end up being shown 450' imaginary megayachts.

What're you guys prattling on about?  I remember being unhappy about the Yachtworld redesign too, but that was a long time ago and I can't even remember why. 

Once you've waded around a bit search criteria are easy to find and define in both desktop and mobile versions, there's no problem in locating exactly what I'm looking for every time.

I predict a threat for mutiny coming from left coast Anarchists when the new SA arrives!

Cheers!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, but at least a couple iterations ago the search function worked.... that's never improved with the current flavor packets

Agree the forum search sucks in the latest iteration(s) of SA, but someone here gave me a good tip which involves a couple more steps - but works very well.  Simply do a Google search including "Sailing Anarchy" in the search.  Actually returns better results IMO than the old SA versions of forum search.

I think it even returns archived threads because I'm pretty certain I've seen threads from 2004 or 2005 returned.

5 hours ago, andykane said:

Thankfully au.yachtworld.com still has the old, functional advanced search.

The Fisheries redesign on the other hand is slick - nicely organized and works well.

Going into the store works even better.  Good people.

• Like 1

Haven't opened the site since I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll always believe that APS changing their website was one of the major reasons they stopped selling hardware and ultimately closed the doors. I could find every common and not common part, and the really obscure stuff was still accessable as well. When they went to the new site (back in like 2013) it all went to shit. 

Was never a big fan of Fisheries or their web site.  I usually click through from an internet search for a particular item.  Always shows "not available" or "special order only."  (i.e. drop ship, I guess.) Prices somewhat higher than elsewhere.  New site seems much the same, except very graphics heavy.  So very slow to download at the ass-end of the internet where I live.  

At some point, I had a "membership benefit" from what I don't recall that would get me "special pricing" at Fisheries.  Set up an account with the magic code and got... even higher prices.  WFT?  Maybe I'm still stuck on that "special pricing" thing.  

On 12/24/2020 at 11:33 AM, Sail4beer said:

Back in the really old days here you could see who was online. That was like 2002 or so...

I looked for my friends and trolls before I hit the forums then!

Yup, that was a good feature.

On 12/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, Editor said:

Please don't lose any pages on a certain thread, a shitload of work has gone into it.

• Like 1

Reminds me of Facebook.  Every year they work very hard to make the whole site experience worse and worse and worse to the point where its barely functional.  I wish web sites had options to pick a past version.

• Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 12:29 PM, ExOmo said:

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should...

no, it's time to make it better. the forums won't be changed, but if there are ways to make it better with input from y'all, we will. better hope that fat criminal cunt presidunce doesn't get that section 230 bullshit done - there will be no more forums anywhere...

It does suck to have news media comments suspended here in the US. I used to go to the comments first and see what some guy Nate had to say about skin color and IQ levels.

I also liked to go on and bash shitty journalists who failed in their basic duty to report the facts. 

I don’t think they will ever go back to allowing comments

Hey there Quattro - thanks for the feedback!  We'd love to know more about exactly what you don't like about our new website - either here or via our feedback tab on the site.  We are listening and definitely want to know what's great and what sucks in your opinion.  How can we make it better unless we know, right???

And to all of you that said you like it - you rock! 

Stacey

SEO & Online Marketing, Fisheries Supply
1900 N. Northlake Way | Seattle, WA 98103
Office: 800.426.6930, ext 8891

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, Stacey@Fisheries said:

Hey there Quattro - thanks for the feedback!  We'd love to know more about exactly what you don't like about our new website - either here or via our feedback tab on the site.  We are listening and definitely want to know what's great and what sucks in your opinion.  How can we make it better unless we know, right???

And to all of you that said you like it - you rock! 

Stacey

SEO & Online Marketing, Fisheries Supply
1900 N. Northlake Way | Seattle, WA 98103
Office: 800.426.6930, ext 8891

Hi Stacey,

On the whole I like the new site but it would be nice if I could see my orders and invoices going back farther than 24 months.

57 minutes ago, IStream said:

Hi Stacey,

On the whole I like the new site but it would be nice if I could see my orders and invoices going back farther than 24 months.

Thanks IStream - that's definitely something that's already on the list to improve...  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stacey@Fisheries said:
5 hours ago, IStream said:

Hi Stacey,

Thanks IStream - that's definitely something that's already on the list to improve...  

Dang, there you have it.... the magic of the internet. And I didn't even rub a lamp

I am a satisfid Fisheries customer but have no comment on the new website.

FB- Doug

Used to wander the Fisheries warehouse on the Seattle Waterfront at Pier 66 I think it was (maybe 54) and find treasures, found some bronze ports for my Herreshoff Rocinante oh so many years ago, been a loyal customer ever since and even though I am an old dog I am able to learn new tricks and deal with changes in technology and improvements in web sites, those who can't HTFU.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Overbored said:

Just tried to order some stuff but it would not add them to the Cart and the plus number did not work. Defender site works fine but to long a wait so i will call order in tomorrow

Both "+" and 'Add To Cart' work for me.  @Stacey@Fisheries will probably want to know what browser and platform (desktop or phone/tablet, Android or iPhone) you used?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Raz'r said:

@Stacey@Fisheries just an FYI, tried to order something tonight but shipping cost defaulted to one of the expedited ones, I had no way to change it to a lower cost option.

Hi Raz'r - thanks for the information.  One thing to notice is that you can't change the shipping options in the cart, but once you get to the actual checkout process you should have full control over which shipping option you want to use.  When you're checking out, you'll enter the address and payment options, than you pass into shipping.  You may only see a couple of options listed , but if you click on "See all shipping options" it should give you ALL of the options we offer.

Let me know if it's not the case the next time you go to place an order (you can report the issue via the feedback tab and I'll see it). 

I hope that helps and thanks for shopping with us!

Stacey

19 hours ago, Overbored said:

Just tried to order some stuff but it would not add them to the Cart and the plus number did not work. Defender site works fine but to long a wait so i will call order in tomorrow

Hey Overbored - sorry to hear you had an issue.  Can you contact me at shoopes@fisheriessupply.com and I'll see if I can figure out what's going on?

Thanks!

On 12/28/2020 at 1:55 PM, IStream said:

Hi Stacey,

BTW IStream - you can see up to 5 years of history now and complete history will be coming soon....but it will be sloooooooooow.  ;)

18 minutes ago, Stacey@Fisheries said:

BTW IStream - you can see up to 5 years of history now and complete history will be coming soon....but it will be sloooooooooow.  ;)

Confirmed, thanks!

I also like that the site keeps me logged in between sessions. The old one seemed to log me out at the drop of a hat.

• Like 2

Yup, Pier 55, was kind of like a museum with all the stuff, like going in the catecomes under Marine Hardware in Anacortes (now off limits) and Ballard Hardware.   Worked at Buchan Sails on Pier 66 for a few years after working at Northwyn before moving on to manage North in Seattle.  Ah, the old days on the Seattle Waterfront.  Also was a Fisco vendor for multiple products for a number of years after my sailmaking career and really appreciate that they have not abandoned sailors for the dark side.  Happy New Year everyone.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Yup, Pier 55, was kind of like a museum with all the stuff, like going in the catecomes under Marine Hardware in Anacortes (now off limits) and Ballard Hardware.   Worked at Buchan Sails on Pier 66 for a few years after working at Northwyn before moving on to manage North in Seattle.  Ah, the old days on the Seattle Waterfront.  Also was a Fisco vendor for multiple products for a number of years after my sailmaking career and really appreciate that they have not abandoned sailors for the dark side.  Happy New Year everyone.

It's a shame that with the current situation, Carl can't putter around the store as much, changing things around a bit, or a lot (usually for the better)

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

Is there anywhere good in New England which is akin to a nautical pawn shop filled with stuff pulled off old boats for resale?

Newport Nautical Supply is pretty good, with a used boat parts consignment section in the basement.

Next option is Bacons in Annapolis, but that is more like Mid-Atlantic.

• Like 1
On 12/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, Stacey@Fisheries said:

As long as you’re fixing stuff, it’s beyond irritating to have to switch between links to change the color of something. I actually went elsewhere a few weeks ago because it was that annoying. A black jacket doesn’t need to be completely separated from its red twin. 

5 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Remember Boeing surplus?

5 minutes ago, jdazey said:

Hey, they checked our lunchboxes when we went through the gate.

And nevere figurred oute you werre stealleng lunche boxes................... didde they?                                              :)

(and olde joke...........          :)  )

6 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

I remember the old store down on the waterfront. When I was still in school, I worked at a marine hardware store in Bremerton. I would have to drive the old flatbed truck to Fisheries to pick up orders. In the summer it was fun trying to back down the pier to the loading dock and not run over tourists. 

Later when I worked in Seattle, I made a lot of trips to Fisheries for boat stuff on my way home to the ferry.

Now most of my trips to Fisheries are on the bicycle. Seattle has good bicycle routes from the ferry to Lake Union.

Fisheries has always been my goto place for marine hardware.

Here's what I don't like about the new site.  This is what it looks like on a computer.   It doesn't show any more than a cell phone screen.  Really, is this a good design?  Bold use of empty space?

One needs to click on each product to see if it's in stock or special order only, or what the price is.  I think there's space for that information...

image.thumb.png.e2c9a128f920c0f745d6c9ec0fa9a98d.png

5 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Here's what I don't like about the new site.  This is what it looks like on a computer.   It doesn't show any more than a cell phone screen.  Really, is this a good design?  Bold use of empty space?

One needs to click on each product to see if it's in stock or special order only, or what the price is.  I think there's space for that information...

image.thumb.png.e2c9a128f920c0f745d6c9ec0fa9a98d.png

It appears that you are looking at search results?
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/browse?loc=2133665008

Here is how that page appears to me (below).  Notice the two icons circled in green at the top right, next to the 'Sort' option.  The left icon is for grid format, which is the default for me.  The right icon is for list, which produces the single item per row format in your screen shot.

fisheriessupply2.thumb.png.7a217d16c09fc71897cec03db7fbc1c0.png

Most of the white space in the grid format is taken by the product images.  Sure, it's possible to add price and in stock vs. special order, but there are good arguments for not cluttering pages with too much information.  Adding more info to search results would take considerably more space to present it cleanly, as it appears on the product pages.

fisheriessupply3.thumb.png.7cc6296ff05b4b9236c0cf13dea3f1ba.png

The site looks very clean to me.

• Like 1

I'm aware of that setting.  But you still only see three items on the screen at once!  

It makes it slow to find things.  It wastes a massive amount of space with emptiness. It's hard to see where you are on the (sometimes huge) list, because there is so little context on the screen.  It's like keeping your place on a book you can only see one line at time.

But "clean", ok.  That's what we call it.  New product idea.  Rather than sell 27" monitors, sell 4" monitors with a 23" white bezel!  Call them "clean design" monitors.  New and improved!

12 hours ago, xyzzy said:

I'm aware of that setting.  But you still only see three items on the screen at once! 

Six products at a time if you scroll down slightly.  Some sites offer a "fluid" option that utilizes full screen width but since many people use phones and tablets, that option would be useless anyway.  I do see a genuine (minor) bug here though...  When scrolled, the 'Support' button obscures a 'back-to-top' icon below it.  Horrors!

fisheriessupply4.thumb.png.4837325d32c5fbd0f2ebf37dff4917b7.png

The guy who maintains the website for my business told me a couple of years ago that it needed to be redesigned to be mobil friendly.  When I said that I regularly received compliments on the site he said it didn't matter.  Google wanted it mobile friendly.

Google gets what Google wants.  And I get out the checkbook . . . 

29 minutes ago, Deadhead said:

The guy who maintains the website for my business told me a couple of years ago that it needed to be redesigned to be mobil friendly.  When I said that I regularly received compliments on the site he said it didn't matter.  Google wanted it mobile friendly.

Google gets what Google wants.  And I get out the checkbook . . . 

"Responsive Design" has been the norm for ten years.  This seminal article by Ethan Marcotte was hugely influential at the time:

Responsive Web Design, May 25, 2010
http://alistapart.com/article/responsive-web-design

Before that, sites used two different urls for the same page, one layout for desktops and another for phones and tablets. You can see the effect by shrinking the browser window and watching the layout respond as it gets narrower.  CSS got radically sophisticated in the process.  The SA web site works that way.

https://readwrite.com/2011/12/25/redux_how_the_boston_globe_pulled_off_html5_responsive_d/

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

"Responsive Design" has been the norm for ten years.  This seminal article by Ethan Marcotte was hugely influential at the time

Yup. The prime directive in web design now is "Mobile First". It is much easier to adapt an initial design that works well on small screens to respond to large screens.

Who remembers the nightmare of hacking together websites which worked with web standards and IE4?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:
2 hours ago, Deadhead said:

"Responsive Design" has been the norm for ten years.  This seminal article by Ethan Marcotte was hugely influential at the

Interesting read. 

On 12/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, Baldur said:

I generally share this sentiment but the OP does have a valid point here!

I get that it's easier to adapt from something that works on mobile to a desktop (as something designed for desktop is unreadable on a mobile) but it does drive me crazy when sites are all blank space with 28pt fonts. I have a large screen and mobile sites scaled up like this look completely ridiculous and are super inefficient. 

When I need to do some "serious" work I sit down in front of a desktop so it's annoying when the usability on a desktop is sacrificed in the name of making a site mobile friendly...

For example my bank website recently got "updated" and now I can't even see all my accounts at the same time on a 34" screen, it's ridiculous (especially considering using the app makes a lot more sense if doing any banking related thing on a phone)!

2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

"Responsive Design"

I would argue that the problem is that websites are actually not responsive enough!

So responsive is good but websites should be able to condense information more when viewed on a "proper" computer... It can be done and some pages do a decent job (Gmail lets you choose different "density" so I can see ~40 emails listed at once on my screen) but web designers seem to mostly care to make it work on mobile and desktop users end up scrolling through vast expanses of blank space! 

Going back to the original topic, I do find the new Fisheries supply pretty dumb on a desktop, the gallery view is fair enough if you want to see good size pictures of stuff but switching to the list view should pack things together! The list view is completely pointless if displays fewer items than the gallery so why even bother!
My suggestion: leave the gallery as-is and mobile users can default to it and make the list view wayyyyy more compact (i.e. use tiny images that are barely useful on mobile) and fit a whole bunch at once on a desktop screen (think windows Explorer "Details" view). Then everybody can be happy! It shouldn't be that hard!

We do need to complain about this and telling the business we don't like it seems to be the best way to do it so they can provide some guidance for their web developers! Otherwise everything will keep getting "dumbed-down" more and more to work on mobile!

37 minutes ago, Airwick said:

My suggestion: leave the gallery as-is and mobile users can default to it and make the list view wayyyyy more compact (i.e. use tiny images that are barely useful on mobile) and fit a whole bunch at once on a desktop screen

The list view is intended for narrow screens (phones) while the grid/"gallery" view is not even an option when the screen is too narrow.

Jamestown manages to get 12 items on the screen and show prices, despite also leaving half the screen empty because of poor layout.

image.thumb.png.20078cccf30eb32e7295f982d389eb06.png

And then we have a website designed for real work.

image.thumb.png.58aedd0ffddf586b93b53683173c729f.png

Yes, plenty of sites on the WWW that could simply be copied. McMaster and Grainger are favorites of mine. However a great amount of work is done by these companies to enter detailed search and classification data for each and every item. A huge expense, certainly. But it pays off.

On marine sites a specific Google search is often best. Another way is to find the part number of what you want on the OEM site then search for that at Defender or Fisheries. This has uncovered items that seemed to not even exist by tedious clicking means. Also, many OEM options are sometimes unadvertised on the weak-ass sites so a simple email or phone call gets a salesperson saying “Yes, we can get that...”

On 12/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, MauiPunter said:

Is there anywhere good in New England which is akin to a nautical pawn shop filled with stuff pulled off old boats for resale?

There’s an outfit in Portland that is exactly that. Never been though driven by a few times, same road as Hamilton Marine. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, xyzzy said:

Jamestown manages to get 12 items on the screen and show prices,

I see the prices but only 8 items (two rows of four), not 12 items at a time.  Unless I change the browser zoom from 100% to 80%, shrinking the text and content; then I see 12 items (3 rows).  Your screen size might be larger than mine (1920 X 1080)?  Otherwise, there is a remarkable resemblance between the two sites in many respects, to the point I'd bet they use the same framework under the hood.

The McMaster site is a great example of cluttered screens, overloaded with too much information.  Small Black and White (!?) images degrade product recognition.  Ugly.  

On 12/26/2020 at 12:34 PM, Latadjust said:

Well, like every other technological "upgrade", I will bitch and moan while flailing away at the keyboard trying to make heads or tails of all the new features, settling on a very basic few tasks nowhere near what cool stuff is available, then my kid will walk by and within seemingly a minute have it all figured out...

Is there a Sailing Anarchy print edition?

Was having a problem with a new to me iPhone 8, handed down our son-in-law, when 30 YO younger daughter fixed it so fast, I had no idea how or what she did to it!!

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

The McMaster site...Small Black and White (!?) images degrade product recognition.  Ugly.  

Ever seen the catalog?