Windows 10 Pro- Where to buy?

We had a Dell computer that crashed.  It came with Windows 10.  When I called Microsoft they said I had to buy a new Operating System at retail ($139). My son is a full-time college student. They also said there were no discounts for students.  Any suggestions?  Help!

You pretty much have to buy it legitimately. I bought a bootleg copy from a PC tech repair place (It wasn't bootleg per se, it had already been registered though) and when Windows did one of their insufferable automatic updates, it locked up my computer, and I had to buy a legit copy anyway.

The tech repair place was raided by the police and shut down a few months later.

7 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

Snaggle- No blue screen of death, just a pretty massive update to an okay computer. He is into gaming now and needed better performance. 

Thank you guys. I'll pony up the $139. 

You gotte snagged by BG...........                       :)

44 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

also, if it's a dell, I would contact their tech support and get them to send a disk if the machine came with win 10.. 

he needs a new machine disk for a new computer not reloading his old box

nearly all the corp issued disks will not work other then the box they are for because they are device driver/bios/ect  limited

one can get a free W10 home d/l for free and just not ever register it and load any computer W10 ready

that also avoids the bloatware that comes on the corp disk

1 hour ago, nota said:

he needs a new machine disk for a new computer not reloading his old box

nearly all the corp issued disks will not work other then the box they are for because they are device driver/bios/ect  limited

one can get a free W10 home d/l for free and just not ever register it and load any computer W10 ready

that also avoids the bloatware that comes on the corp disk

where did you read that it's a new computer?

If the computer originally came with Win10, there should be an ID# glued on the case somewhere.  If the hard disk crashed you can download Win10 to the new disk and use the ID# to authorize it.  Getting all the drivers re-installed might be a pain though...

If it came with windows 10 the key should be read when it boots up the first time. Download w10 from m$ and see what happens. If it reads the key (you may need to go to activation and manually tell if you want to activate) you won't see any text on the lower right corner of the screen.

Otherwise, I usually buy my licenses (server and office etc) from cdw.

Not really the question that was asked but, FWIW, if you have a working computer and internet, you can download win 10 media directly from MS:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can buy keys from various places (Amazon, Newegg, Aliexpress, some guy lurking in the ally, etc.) but I haven't and I've heard of folks having issues.

Search for "Windows 10 retail key" or "Windows 10 Pro retail key".

To get a working system it'd be nice to have an OEM recovery disk. You can often download those from the OEM. Ubuntu works on most computers if you can tolerate that. You can load the win 10 iso into virtual box on Ubuntu. I have and it has its uses but I wouldn't use it every day.

12 hours ago, Borax Johnson said:

I have had Apple computers for a while now and never had to buy an operating system. Sure they cost more upfront, but never having to pay Bill Gates to keep it going is a plus. Not trying to be a Ford vs. Chevy thing. Just saying about cost of ownership.

Macintosh.  Good hardware.  I can't stand the operating system anymore though.  Back in the really 90's though I liked it so much more than Windows 3.1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, DryArmour said:

We had a Dell computer that crashed.  It came with Windows 10.  When I called Microsoft they said I had to buy a new Operating System at retail ($139). My son is a full-time college student. They also said there were no discounts for students.  Any suggestions?  Help!

kan't be arsed at the moment but can send you a link

do fresh install

it will recognize win-10 from before and continue

when done it will be registered and ALL You hoped to not loose will be in a folder named ...... WINDOWS !!!

Not meaning to be snarky in all seriousness.

I was in a similar situation a few years back.  The license cost, v.s. just buying a new machine to replace/restore an old "free to me" desktop just didn't pencil out.

Look into simply buying a new computer.

The hours of fighting drivers, buggy install, future headaches.  For those of us not as gifted at @mustang__1, I suggest not bothering.

It will cut down on your valuable posting time here on SA.

Again.... If the pc came with w10, the key is likely embedded and will be read when you load a fresh install (download the iso from m$). There should be no need to go out and buy a license or a new pc. 

The days of suffering through drivers are mostly over. It's a brave new world post xp and 7. I never thought I would get over the w10 ckusrerfucks (ok the chdisk corrupting the drive on h2 is pretty fucked up) but it's actually proving to be an improvement of w7. And the ease of a fresh install is a big part of that. On my work boxes (no graphics or audio cards) I just put the os back on, run win update, business apps back on, and join the cunt to the domain and I'm done. 

Also it's dell..... You can get the os, drivers, and bloatware from them. No reason to buy a license if it came with one in the first place. 

I just went through this with an HP laptop.

I went to the hp site via a 2nd laptop and clicked support.

I chatted (eg skyped) with a support engineer and gave them the PC serial number.

They gave me pointer to the installation file and my MS key.  Also emailed it to me.

Used the 2nd laptop to download thewin10  file to a thumb-drive and did booted the brain dead laptop which asked for the key which I keyed in.

Up and running in no time.

7 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

kan't be arsed at the moment but can send you a link

do fresh install

it will recognize win-10 from before and continue

when done it will be registered and ALL You hoped to not loose will be in a folder named ...... WINDOWS !!!

59 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

Again.... If the pc came with w10, the key is likely embedded and will be read when you load a fresh install (download the iso from m$). There should be no need to go out and buy a license or a new pc. 

The days of suffering through drivers are mostly over. It's a brave new world post xp and 7. I never thought I would get over the w10 ckusrerfucks (ok the chdisk corrupting the drive on h2 is pretty fucked up) but it's actually proving to be an improvement of w7. And the ease of a fresh install is a big part of that. On my work boxes (no graphics or audio cards) I just put the os back on, run win update, business apps back on, and join the cunt to the domain and I'm done. 

Also it's dell..... You can get the os, drivers, and bloatware from them. No reason to buy a license if it came with one in the first place. 

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

On 12/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, DryArmour said:

Snaggle- No blue screen of death, just a pretty massive update to an okay computer. He is into gaming now and needed better performance. 

Thank you guys. I'll pony up the $139.  

I don't know much about PCs, but my son is also into gaming.

I have an oldish PC, I think Windows 7 that my dad left for him. Is it possible to upgrade it with whatever is needed to turn it into a gaming computer? (He currently uses his XBox.) What's needed to do that? Memory? Graphics card? Faster HD? Anything else? Can those older PCs be upgraded like that?

Not really. After a while, the old motherboard/system chips lose compatibility with the latest processors and graphics cards. One thing you can do is load it up with a game he likes and try running it in a window (as opposed to full screen) with its frames per second displayed and task manager active on the performance tab. Task manager will show you the bottleneck, whether it be CPU, memory, graphics, etc. If you're in the 30-60fps range while maxing out one of those metrics, you've got a shot at upgrading the CPU, memory, or graphics card to make it playable. If the fps is much lower, it's unlikely you'll be able to get there from here.

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

Not really. After a while, the old motherboard/system chips lose compatibility with the latest processors and graphics cards. One thing you can do is load it up with a game he likes and try running it in a window (as opposed to full screen) with its frames per second displayed and task manager active on the performance tab. Task manager will show you the bottleneck, whether it be CPU, memory, graphics, etc. If you're in the 30-60fps range while maxing out one of those metrics, you've got a shot at upgrading the CPU, memory, or graphics card to make it playable. If the fps is much lower, it's unlikely you'll be able to get there from here.

Thanks!

His games are Fortnite, Apex and Roblox. What about putting in a new motherboard? Worthwhile? Do they just plug in?

You can upgrade the motherboard but you need to make sure it'll fit in the case and then you'll need a new CPU. And with a new CPU you'll likely need new memory, and don't forget the updated OS that started this whole thread...Before long you're down the rabbit hole and would've been better off just buying a whole new rig.

If you're lucky, you'll find one or more bottlenecks you can break open for <$250 but you've got to go in with your eyes open. You don't want to sink a bunch of money in only to find that you've upgraded from unplayable performance to barely playable but unsatisfying performance.