Did You Know...

did you know .. only 2 out 3 SA-ers can read and follow directions 

• Like 1

Cliff Clavin's  Quotes

- It's a little known fact that cows were domesticated in Mesopotamia and were also used in China as guard animals for the forbidden city.

- It's a little known fact that smartest animal is a pig. Scientists say if pigs had thumbs and a language, they could be trained to do simple manual labor. They give you 20-30 years of loyal service and then at their retirement dinner you can eat them.

- I wonder if you know that the harp is a predecessor of the modern day guitar. Early minstrels were much larger people. In fact, they had hands the size of small dogs.

- Everyone is the Swiss Army owns a Swiss Army Knife. That's why no one messes with Switzerland.

- If you were to go back in history and take every president, you'll find that the numerical value of each letter in their name was equally divisible into the year in which they were elected. By my calculations, our next president has to be named Yellnick McWawa.

- If memory serves, the umbilical chord is 90% potassium.

- They did a study between postal workers and chimpanzees. They proved chimps were 32% slower. Of course, they were better with public relations.

- There's no rule against postal workers not dating women. It just works out that way.

- It's a little known fact that the tan became popular in what is known as the Bronze Age.

• Like 3

A tiny 12" Python will try to kill you by constricting your fingers..... (It won't work, and they give up pretty quickly.)

Here's 3.5 minutes of important entomological shit. If you can't keep up take notes. Any info not covered in class will be covered on the test.

35 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Steve Fossett holds the world hide and seek record.

Hiroo Oonoda laughs...

did not surrender at the war's end in August 1945. After the war ended Onoda spent 29 years hiding out in the Philippines until his former commander travelled from Japan to formally relieve him from duty by order of Emperor Shōwa in 1974.

• Like 1
On 12/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Mid said:

Did you know the longest breath held underwater is 24:03 minutes? 

Not true!  There have been longer occasions, but they died.

26 minutes ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

It's a little known fact that not a lot of people know little known facts.

Nope! Not to be confused with Leslie Knope, but, that's not a little known fact. Lotsa people know very little, and even less than that are little known, both facts and people, as eva-dunt.

It is a little known fact that if you lose something it always be the last place you look for it.  This is due to the fact once you have found it you stop looking..

A little known fact...... if you wait to the last minute to do something, it only takes you a minute to accomplish.  

2 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

It is a little known fact that if you lose something it always be the last place you look for it.  This is due to the fact once you have found it you stop looking..

it's a little known fact that if you've lost something, the fastest way to find it is to buy it's replacement...

• Like 1
On 1/1/2021 at 4:02 PM, Dorado said:

Steve Fossett holds the world hide and seek record.

I thought that record belongs to Jimmy Hoffa...

Anyone remember hearing of Judge Crater? I remember hearing about him as recently as the 1960's

I'd never looked it up, but it's an interesting story https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/joseph-force-crater-becomes-the-missingest-man-in-new-york

Edited by On The Hard
55 minutes ago, silent bob said:
2 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

You got some 'splainin' to do.

Wind tunnel? 

You just need one to land!

Not 100% true

Yeah, pretty cool.

A lot of risk management went into that jump, along with one very experienced person.

I was much more impressed by the wingsuiter who landed (without using his parachute) in a box rig.

But Luke will be Luke.

On 12/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, Mrleft8 said:

A tiny 12" Python will try to kill you by constricting your fingers..... (It won't work, and they give up pretty quickly.)

And now that you said that, you KNOW there's a florida man in a hospital somewhere with his pants around his ankles and a bunch of giggling nurses.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2021 at 4:16 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

it's a little known fact that if you've lost something, the fastest way to find it is to buy it's replacement...

Many people know this fact but only subconsciously so they don't now they know it. It's in a sub-category called "unknown little known facts".

Also, it's a little known fact that the apostrophe is the most often incorrectly used punctuation mark... (See what I did there???)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

Many people know this fact but only subconsciously so they don't now they know it. It's in a sub-category called "unknown little known facts".

Also, it's a little known fact that the apostrophe is the most often incorrectly used punctuation mark... (See what I did there???)

busted

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:
17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Didde you no theire our to wordes in the alphabette?

i no  

hi, no                                         :)

A cubic foot of Quercus Alba, (Oven dry) weighs on average about 50 Lbs?

While Thuja Occidendtalis only weighs about 22lbs. Oven dry.

15 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

which is heavier 1lb of Quercus Alba or 1lb of Thuja Occidendtalis ?

An ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of feathers.... But a pound of gold weighs less than a pound of feathers.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:16 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

It a little more well known little known fact that within the week after you chuck out that thing that you've had in your shed for the last twenty years just in case you need it, you'll need it.

• Like 2
On 1/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, d'ranger said:

If you piss on the electric fence you will learn something.

Back in the 90's I worked on the 77th floor of the Empire State Building above the first upper setback that has lights shooting upward. An inebriated coworker was preparing to urinate out the window.  Fortunately, a slightly less inebriated coworker jumped up and pushed him aside.  After exchanging a few words, the wiser or less-inebriated one pointed out that lights at that time were, in fact, arc lights and that he might have learned something about the conductivity or urine.  From that day forward I told all new male employees that taking a leak out the window was part of the initiation process, but somebody always ruined the electric show.

(The little know fact part of this useless missive is that the windows open fully - even at those heights).

• Like 1
On 1/5/2021 at 6:45 PM, nacradriver said:

This story always makes me laugh.  It's probably not true, but it still makes me laugh.

https://everything2.com/title/The+circuit+is+completed+by+the+dog

The Barking Dog (http://www.eio.com/repairfaq/sam/humor.htm)

It is common practice in England to ring a telephone by signaling extra voltage across one side of the two wire circuit and ground (earth in England). When the subscriber answers the phone, it switches to the two wire circuit for conversation. This method allows two parties on the same line to be signaled without disturbing each other.

Anyway, an elderly lady with several pets called to say that her telephone failed to ring when her friends called and on the few occasions when it did ring her dog always barked first just before the ring. Pat proceeded to the scene, curious to see this psychic dog.

He climbed the nearby pole, hooked his test set to the lady's line, and dialed the number. The phone didn't ring. He tried again. The dog barked loudly, followed by a ringing telephone. Climbing down the pole the amazed Pat found:

1. The dog was tied to the telephone systems ground post via a metal chain and collar.
2. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signaling current.
3. After several such jolts, the dog would start barking and urinating on the ground.
4. The wet ground now completed the circuit and the phone would ring.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Toecutter's Ghost said:

It a little more well known little known fact that within the week after you chuck out that thing that you've had in your shed for the last twenty years just in case you need it, you'll need it.

That happened to me recently. I had some sheets of white laminate that I'd had for over 20 years. Finally chucked it all and promptly bought a project boat - now I have to buy some white laminate.

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The version of that story that was relayed to me or, possibly, another story was that it was a "party trick" where the individual would get a few in him and proclaim he was Superman and then throw himself at a window.  The fatal event was far from the only time people had witnessed this behavior. That was told to me by a prior boss who would tend to get defensive when I would point out his errors so I didn't bother questioning the story's veracity.  However, the time frame, city, and floor number mesh with what he told me so it's possible his anecdotes were more factual than his work.

It was real - it made the national news here.

Pretty well the ultimate "Hold my beer" incident - and it happened in the Great White North, not in backwoods Alabama or Floriduh.

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That happened to me recently. I had some sheets of white laminate that I'd had for over 20 years. Finally chucked it all and promptly bought a project boat - now I have to buy some white laminate.

Just the once? You lucky, lucky bastard!

Did you know that there are over 70 000 km of trans-border scooter routes in Europe— that is almost twice the length of the equator.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 11.53.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 11.59.01 AM.png

:)

The words one, two and three each have the appropriate number of consonants.

On a digital clock, the numbers of segments lit for 4, 5 and 6 are, respectively, 4, 5 and 6.

The number of segments lit for 8 is 7, 1 less than 8, and the number of segments lit for 9 is 6, 3 less than 9.

Take the 6 above and multiply it by the only positive number not yet mentioned, 7,...

Now tell me the universe isn’t a massive card trick.

Coat, tin-foil hat, leaving...

• Like 1

I've no way to verify this, it was told to me a drunk food engineer in Finnegan's Wake bar in NYC back around 1992 ...

He told me that Jiffy Pop had infringed on the patent of another, earlier brand of disposable pan popcorn, and in order to differentiate their product, Jiffy Pop added a natural anesthetic to their product called Eugenol (same stuff that's in celery that gives you a numb mouth) that vaporized in the air when the top aluminum foil opened and produced a drug-induced euphoria to the person shaking the pan. The addictive qualities of the gas and the euphoria it produced were noted, and Jiffy Pop managed to outlast the originator of the product.

Similarly, when I worked in school book publishing, we did a competitive analysis of other publisher's books, we couldn't figure out why they were selling so well. We looked at the writers, artwork, printing, nothing seemed better than our product. But we did notice that wonderful aroma of their books. Turns out they added some expensive perfumes to the binding glue that were released when the book was opened and cracked the binding by the State Textbook Adoption boards.

Dirty chemical tricks of smart corporations ...

• Like 1

Did you know that getting raped by an elephant is less painful than getting fingered by an elephant.

13 hours ago, he b gb said:

Did you know that getting raped by an elephant is less painful than getting fingered by an elephant.

how were you able to tell the difference?

39 inches
 I'll tell you who's not cheating, elephants. They have the largest penis of any land animal, reaching lengths of up to 39 inches.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

how were you able to tell the difference?

I can see what you are trying to insinuate there, actually i was told by someone who was on safari in Africa when their holiday  took a terrible turn for the worse!!

Did you know that the longest minute is between the washer reading 01 and 00?

Yesterday it measured 18 minutes on another clock.

washer.jpg

2 hours ago, PurpleOnion said:

Did you know that the longest minute is between the washer reading 01 and 00?

Yesterday it measured 18 minutes on another clock.

washer.jpg

It does say estimated :huh:

On 1/24/2021 at 4:33 AM, SloopJonB said:

That's because you were watching it.

My great-great-grandmother used to say that a watched microwave never pings.

Way ahead of her time, that woman.

On 1/30/2021 at 2:34 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Study Finds That When Cannabis Is Legalized, Ice Cream And Cookie Sales Go Up

Well, duh.

And why do these fucks capitalize so much in their titles? SMH

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, SloopJonB said:

Did you know that any internal combustion engine has equal torque and horsepower at 5250 RPM?

I didn't, but apparently this dude did ...