Anyone sailed on this 1984 Farr 44 in Mt Desert ME?

New England sailors in hibernation? Come on you know this ole girl. 35 years of sailing out of the same yard. Originally called Reindeer to replace the owners Swan 43 of the same name. Then the son renamed her and sailed her until 2018. At least that is what I have pieced together. 

Nice hull fugly hard dodger, several examples for sale will give you likely layout, they are a good sailing boat and it’s probably good it’s stayed within one family most of its life.

The 44’s in NZ seldom stay on the market long they have a good rep as a well performing cruiser.

We had a guy down here that lost two wives to the same boat. Big trawler. He sent the first one into the engine room to extinguish an electrical fire and shut the engine room door behind her to keep the smoke out of the boat. The second wife a few years later retrieving a stern anchor ( Mostly rope) standing on a pile of rope on the deck when he decided to help her out and put it in gear. Wrapped her around the wheel a couple of times. The police divers had a nasty job. I think he still has the boat. 

3 hours ago, worthless said:

Not sure, it’s been forever (30 plus years), but that boat might have had an unfortunate carbon monoxide  incident onboard. To some people it wouldn’t matter, it might others.

Wrong boat i think.  That was Concordia 46.

21 hours ago, bgytr said:

Wrong boat i think.  That was Concordia 46.

Correct.  Boat had been used in many prominent ads for Concordia, often times the full back cover of various sailing magazines.  It was a picture of the boat going downwind, bow pointed right at the camera, with the bow person (an attractive young woman) at the bow pulpit, back to the camera, lazy guy in hand, ready for a jibe.  She was the boat captain.  Died on a delivery due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Early to Mid 90's.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:10 PM, Greyhound37 said:

Mostly blocked by the MJM and the dodger was added in recent years. 44' Concordia built in 1984. Anyone been aboard?

EE82E1FC-F2BC-45E2-9DD6-62879D32FB08.jpeg

Newbold smiths boat 

Be alert ....kevlar is nasty stuff

if you are looking to buy the boat,  have the hull carefully surveyed ...specifically , moisture content of the laminate 

Newbolds old boat.  His son Stocky owned it last.  Never sailed on it (zero interest cuz it just didn’t seem like any fun) but I used to race against her quite a bit. Was built for high latitude sailing and was reasonably quick. A friend of mine has a near sistership (Farr, Concordia slightly longer). I’ve sailed that boat  a bunch and she’s nice in all respects. Weather gauge, the one you’re interested in, has always been kept in perfect Bristol condition.  

10 hours ago, eliboat said:

Newbolds old boat.  His son Stocky owned it last.  Never sailed on it (zero interest cuz it just didn’t seem like any fun) but I used to race against her quite a bit. Was built for high latitude sailing and was reasonably quick. A friend of mine has a near sistership (Farr, Concordia slightly longer). I’ve sailed that boat  a bunch and she’s nice in all respects. Weather gauge, the one you’re interested in, has always been kept in perfect Bristol condition.  

Thanks for the information. Farr designed a deep draft bulb keel and CF rudder in 1996. She was then converted from the keel/centerboard. I am a fan of the hard dodger. Cold and wet is no fun. Helps avoid salt spray entering the companionway. PHRF in the 50's so she is capable for a cruiser with gen and a/c. Add a sprit, A sails and have some deep water fun. 

4 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

Thanks for the information. Farr designed a deep draft bulb keel and CF rudder in 1996. She was then converted from the keel/centerboard. I am a fan of the hard dodger. Cold and wet is no fun. Helps avoid salt spray entering the companionway. PHRF in the 50's so she is capable for a cruiser with gen and a/c. Add a sprit, A sails and have some deep water fun. 

In the pic you posted, I assume the keel is off?  Otherwise, we have very different definitions of deep draft.  Other than the kevlar questions, that is a gorgeous boat and I agree with you re:dodger.

17 hours ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Correct.  Boat had been used in many prominent ads for Concordia, often times the full back cover of various sailing magazines.  It was a picture of the boat going downwind, bow pointed right at the camera, with the bow person (an attractive young woman) at the bow pulpit, back to the camera, lazy guy in hand, ready for a jibe.  She was the boat captain.  Died on a delivery due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  Early to Mid 90's.

Yes. I did a Bermuda race on that boat, and the girl was the sister of a guy I've known and sailed with off and on for 50 yrs since we were kids- my brother's college roommate.

The Concordia 46, other than the unfortunate CO accident was a great boat.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

In the pic you posted, I assume the keel is off?  Otherwise, we have very different definitions of deep draft.  Other than the kevlar questions, that is a gorgeous boat and I agree with you re:dodger.

Draft is 7'11" as shown in the photo 

Boy, I did once back in the early-mid 2000's I think... but it certainly didn't have the hard dodger back then... I do know it was always well maintained and sailed well...

On 1/5/2021 at 7:50 AM, suider said:

Boy, I did once back in the early-mid 2000's I think... but it certainly didn't have the hard dodger back then... I do know it was always well maintained and sailed well...

Yea the dodger was added in 2016 I a told. The new keel and rudder were added in '95-'96 so you experienced those. Some race results I have found. She is capable. 

I inspected this boat today. She is a killer package for ocean cruising and occasional ocean racing. Needs a diet, electronics update and a few sails. The cosmetics and interior comforts are impressive. Yanmar looks like it just came out of the box. Spars and topsides paint is perfect. A lot of boat for... try 100k

• Like 1

Just curious, is this one of the sister ships to (I think) Gaucho, the Farr 44 that literally lapped the fleet one year at Key West.  My understanding is that 2 or 3 sister ships were built.  One was purchased by Larry Ellison.  He sold it to someone I think in Detroit.  It raced in the Great Lakes for a number of years.  The story goes that each was optimized for certain conditions when built.  Ellison's was optimized for light air. 

59 minutes ago, sam_crocker said:

That boat has the most impressive array of circuit breakers.  I counted over 50. 

First thing would be to set a small dumpster next to the boat and get rid of the 5 PC's, inverters, excess batteries, freezer in the bow, 4 winches, symmetrical spinnaker gear and pole, transom mast and Flir, Sat telephone dome, unnecessary loose gear, books, spares for the spares, too many tools...   

19 hours ago, Greyhound37 said:

First thing would be to set a small dumpster next to the boat and get rid of the 5 PC's, inverters, excess batteries, freezer in the bow, 4 winches, symmetrical spinnaker gear and pole, transom mast and Flir, Sat telephone dome, unnecessary loose gear, books, spares for the spares, too many tools...   

If you buy and scrap the Ockam system, PM me.

Add a carbon taller fractional rig with swept back spreaders since you need new sails anyway. Get rid of the running backs and 2 more winches.

Maybe this is not the right tool for the job. Too bad she does have eyes

• 3 months later...

Of all things I think I am going to do the monhegan race up here this summer now on this thing... 

the details as I know them are vague- I guess the boat has been donated to one of the academies, and there is a deal in place to race it this year in the Monhegan race before said donation... that’s what I know now... hope she gets a diet before then, but will still be the most comfortable boat I’ve ever done that race on even if she doesn’t! 

1 hour ago, suider said:

Of all things I think I am going to do the monhegan race up here this summer now on this thing... 

the details as I know them are vague- I guess the boat has been donated to one of the academies, and there is a deal in place to race it this year in the Monhegan race before said donation... that’s what I know now... hope she gets a diet before then, but will still be the most comfortable boat I’ve ever done that race on even if she doesn’t! 

Yea the Mass MA took the boat in on donation 10 days ago. Unload 1200# of unnecessary gear, spares, redundant crap and they sprinkle some $$ over her for batteries such she will be a fun platform. I went through the sail inventory that was in the front of the storage locker and every sail I opened was junk. Better go through them all fast and see what you need to order. 

I like the boat overall. Impressive inside and out. Not going to be super fast but should do well at her rating with some breeze.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Greyhound37 said:

Yea the Mass MA took the boat in on donation 10 days ago. Unload 1200# of unnecessary gear, spares, redundant crap and they sprinkle some $$ over her for batteries such she will be a fun platform. I went through the sail inventory that was in the front of the storage locker and every sail I opened was junk. Better go through them all fast and see what you need to order. 

I like the boat overall. Impressive inside and out. Not going to be super fast but should do well at her rating with some breeze.  

Newbold Smith was serious about high latitude cruising, which is probably why the hull has Kevlar in it. Not sure if it is all-Kevlar, or just outer skins. I have a picture of it in  a club yearbook next to some pretty serious ice.

Kevlar does not produce a particularly stiff hull, which is why you often see it as part of a matrix with other fibers. It isn't much fun for boatbuilders to work with, because it doesn't really wet out properly, and the fibers are nasty on your skin. It does produce a hull with good abrasion resistance and impact resistance, however, which is a handy thing if you are going into ice and don't want a metal boat.

Personally, I'd rather have a metal boat for that.

To the best of my knowledge, the last Reindeer Newbold Smith built was a Chuck Paine designed Morris 47 (raised pilothouse), with a glass/Kevlar composite hull built  by Boston Boatworks (Mark Lindsay) and finished by Morris Yachts in 1998.

That's the one I would want, if I could afford it.

6 hours ago, accnick said:

Newbold Smith was serious about high latitude cruising, which is probably why the hull has Kevlar in it. Not sure if it is all-Kevlar, or just outer skins. I have a picture of it in  a club yearbook next to some pretty serious ice.

Kevlar does not produce a particularly stiff hull, which is why you often see it as part of a matrix with other fibers. It isn't much fun for boatbuilders to work with, because it doesn't really wet out properly, and the fibers are nasty on your skin. It does produce a hull with good abrasion resistance and impact resistance, however, which is a handy thing if you are going into ice and don't want a metal boat.

Personally, I'd rather have a metal boat for that.

To the best of my knowledge, the last Reindeer Newbold Smith built was a Chuck Paine designed Morris 47 (raised pilothouse), with a glass/Kevlar composite hull built  by Boston Boatworks (Mark Lindsay) and finished by Morris Yachts in 1998.

That's the one I would want, if I could afford it.

My timeframe/knowledge is definitely similar to yours. 

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned once sailing on the boat that I THINK I’m going to be sailing on again in either the late 90’s or relatively early 00’s... but this boat and the Morris you describe were side by side on the Smith’s personal pier at their place on MDI... I don’t know what happened to THAT boat, but I 100% remember it...

3 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Possibly... there was definitely money involved... but I don’t THINK so... 

The son involved here was Stockton, informally known as Stocky who I am learning has also passed on (which was surprising to me even at my ‘ripe’ age on these boards- I would have guessed he was young for passing along)... the story you site was an awesome read, but seems to dwell in the mid-Atlantic area- and I don’t think Stocky’s real name was Lewis... 

I will certainly stand to be corrected, but it seems a different family?

8 hours ago, suider said:

The son involved here was Stockton, informally known as Stocky who I am learning has also passed on (which was surprising to me even at my ‘ripe’ age on these boards- I would have guessed he was young for passing along)... the story you site was an awesome read, but seems to dwell in the mid-Atlantic area- and I don’t think Stocky’s real name was Lewis... 

Considering that the article mentioned a racing sailboat named "Reindeer" how many Newbold Smith's with one can there be? 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, suider said:

Nope… same family.  Different son perhaps.  Unpleasant fellow that Newbold. I agree with Accnick, his last boat, what was to be the original Morris pilot house chuck paine design of a series is the one I would want.  Nice boat, as was Firefly.  They started getting weird after that with center cockpit versions that missed the mark IMO.  

On 12/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, worthless said:

Not sure, it’s been forever (30 plus years), but that boat might have had an unfortunate carbon monoxide  incident onboard. To some people it wouldn’t matter, it might others.

Dancer?

• I noticed this on the Annapolis to Newport web site:

• Most frequent competitor: 21 races for E. Newbold Smith, starting in 1957 with Gailliard and continuing with his various Reindeers. Overall winner in 1961, first in class in 1961, 1963, 1995, second in class four times (this boat?) (1967, 1981, 1987, 1993), third in class three times (1989, 1999, 2001) and fourth in class twice (1965 and 1997).