F1 - 2021 Longer Harder Faster

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a Bottas fan at one point. Now I think the need to get him out of that seat. Somebody has to challenge Hamilton - let Russell have a go.

Mazespin has arrived by yacht in Monaco!      

Posted Images

2 hours ago, vibroman said:

The FIA and Liberty did a great job of getting F1 up and running safely before any of the other major sports and I expect they will do even better next year..

I think Mercedes will win it again next year, but I expect Ferrari, RedBull and Renault will all win races, AM and AT will podium.

F1 engineers can usually outperform the regulators so I expect some lap records to fall,

Bottas on his very best day can out qualify and beat LH, so I don’t think he is a limp dick..

21 hours ago, ro! said:

The FIA and Liberty did a great job of getting F1 up and running safely before any of the other major sports and I expect they will do even better next year..

I think Mercedes will win it again next year, but I expect Ferrari, RedBull and Renault will all win races, AM and AT will podium.

F1 engineers can usually outperform the regulators so I expect some lap records to fall,

Bottas on his very best day can out qualify and beat LH, so I don’t think he is a limp dick..

Agreed!!  Bottas has suffered an extremely long stretch of bad luck...

Just reading the P1 and 2 will be reduced to 1 hour next year.

1. Bottas will be happy (less time for Hamilton to get his eye in)
2. Won't effect the amount of running from most teams as cars tended to sit around quite a bit anyway only really doing a couple of "long runs"
3. Drivers are going to have to keep their cars off the walls as there won't be much time for crews to put them back together.
4. At least we won't need to hear as much about what the commentators had for breakfast back when they were racing.

I know this goes against the meritocracy of F1 but maybe they should give more practice time to the bottom of the grid.

Extra 5 minutes per team per current championship standing. Doesn't sound a lot but may help bottom teams get a better set up and time on the circuit.

Cheap and effective way to give the lower teams a leg up.

3 hours ago, Soley said:

I know this goes against the meritocracy of F1 but maybe they should give more practice time to the bottom of the grid.

Extra 5 minutes per team per current championship standing. Doesn't sound a lot but may help bottom teams get a better set up and time on the circuit.

Cheap and effective way to give the lower teams a leg up.

You'd have to give them extra tires and engine allowance to go with it.  if you watch the practice (which I'd never really done much before no live sport 2020) all the teams spend a lot of time with the cars sitting stationary on the jacks in garages because they don't have tires to spare or want to put the hours on the engines.

Having just typed that... Let each of the bottom 5 teams run one extra power unit the next year without penalties.  It will mean they can turn everything up "just a little bit" and that might help level the field.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, footlong said:

I missed it, how much does Hamilton have to pay to drive the Mercedes in 2021?

-£40M or -$54M either way its a good deal for Mercedes

Got to get all the cash now before the dumb salary caps come in. F1 is getting way too Americanized.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:10 PM, Soley said:

-£40M or -$54M either way its a good deal for Mercedes

Got to get all the cash now before the dumb salary caps come in. F1 is getting way too Americanized.

WTF does America have to do with the F! at all?
The country is virtually nonexistent in F1

8 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

WTF does America have to do with the F! at all?
The country is virtually nonexistent in F1

Well, for one, Formula 1 is owned by an American company...

Daimler Chief Reportedly Pushing for Russell Amid Friction with Lewis Hamilton over Mercedes F1 Contract

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-daimler-chief-reportedly-pushing-for-russell-amid-friction-with-lewis-hamilton-over-mercedes-f1-contract/?fbclid=IwAR3LAuzSHvyOIl_0PO7RVZVyWVbe0YgKA4kbuvkDl_WwL4kuBHmhhecwdaw

“So where is the problem? Lewis’s attitude does not appeal to the Daimler board of directors who gave Wolff full mandate to close the deal as soon as possible, but with a series of constraints that were dictated by the president of the German group, Ola Kallenius.” (translated via Google Translate)

'Out of Contract' Lewis Hamilton Rejects New Mercedes Deal: Report

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/out-of-contract-lewis-hamilton-rejects-new-mercedes-deal-report-3244457.html

The 35-year-old reportedly made four demands during contract talks with Mercedes according to Motorsport. The first is that his salary rises to 35.5million pounds a year, which would ensure he remains as the highest-paid driver on the grid. His second demand is that Hamilton reportedly wants a 10 per cent share of Mercedes' prize money should they win the Championship. One of their upcoming, limited-production AMG One cars and finally a role that 'goes beyond being a driver and more than a mere testimonial'. Which indicates that Hamilton is apparently desperate for a hands-on job where he can help drive the Silver Arrows' approach into electric transition.

are they just grandstanding for dramatic effect?

On 1/3/2021 at 5:42 AM, SCARECROW said:

Stories are already coming out questioning whether the Melbourne race will go ahead.

No surprise..with the U.K. in a Covid spike and most F1 personnel living there, no way was Oz going to change its quarantine rules. Maybe they can fit it in late in the season if the vaccines bring us back to normal...

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Daimler Chief Reportedly Pushing for Russell Amid Friction with Lewis Hamilton over Mercedes F1 Contract

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-daimler-chief-reportedly-pushing-for-russell-amid-friction-with-lewis-hamilton-over-mercedes-f1-contract/?fbclid=IwAR3LAuzSHvyOIl_0PO7RVZVyWVbe0YgKA4kbuvkDl_WwL4kuBHmhhecwdaw

“So where is the problem? Lewis’s attitude does not appeal to the Daimler board of directors who gave Wolff full mandate to close the deal as soon as possible, but with a series of constraints that were dictated by the president of the German group, Ola Kallenius.” (translated via Google Translate)

'Out of Contract' Lewis Hamilton Rejects New Mercedes Deal: Report

https://www.news18.com/news/sports/out-of-contract-lewis-hamilton-rejects-new-mercedes-deal-report-3244457.html

The 35-year-old reportedly made four demands during contract talks with Mercedes according to Motorsport. The first is that his salary rises to 35.5million pounds a year, which would ensure he remains as the highest-paid driver on the grid. His second demand is that Hamilton reportedly wants a 10 per cent share of Mercedes' prize money should they win the Championship. One of their upcoming, limited-production AMG One cars and finally a role that 'goes beyond being a driver and more than a mere testimonial'. Which indicates that Hamilton is apparently desperate for a hands-on job where he can help drive the Silver Arrows' approach into electric transition.

are they just grandstanding for dramatic effect?

Throw his ass to the curb.  Yeah, you may win a few races with a different team, but if he thinks he'll be anywhere near as dominant hes delusional.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Grrr... said:

Throw his ass to the curb.  Yeah, you may win a few races with a different team, but if he thinks he'll be anywhere near as dominant hes delusional.

Exactly, he's a greedy little cunt with no care for anything else but Sir Lewis. They can get Russell in the car for 5 million and they will massively increase their brand exposure as a result, pushing the dollar value higher for less outgoing. 
Hamilton flaps his gums about nobody giving him a break as a black man in a white sport (that Ron Dennis is a bastard) but now he has his own formula E team he has picked a multi-millionaire white man to drive for him.

• Like 2

Both parties seem to believe they’re negotiating from positions of strength but Hamilton has much more to loose right now than Mercedes does because not only could Russel or Bottas win 2021 in a Merc but the only available seat while they’re doing it will be a Williams.

Hamilton is almost certainly the best on the grid but ironically Mercedes are the only team in F1 who don’t necessarily need the best to win right now.  Of course 2022 could be a whole new thing....

2 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

Exactly, he's a greedy little cunt with no care for anything else but Sir Lewis. They can get Russell in the car for 5 million and they will massively increase their brand exposure as a result, pushing the dollar value higher for less outgoing. 
Hamilton flaps his gums about nobody giving him a break as a black man in a white sport (that Ron Dennis is a bastard) but now he has his own formula E team he has picked a multi-millionaire white man to drive for him.

So much for BLM, and equal opportunities!!   I admire him for his skill and as a public figure, but he is indeed being greedy, and it would be very ironic if Merc replaced him, and he sits out for a year, or goes begging for a seat....  Do these guys have agents, like other sports stars, Actors, and bands, etc???

42 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

So much for BLM, and equal opportunities!!   I admire him for his skill and as a public figure, but he is indeed being greedy, and it would be very ironic if Merc replaced him, and he sits out for a year, or goes begging for a seat....  Do these guys have agents, like other sports stars, Actors, and bands, etc???

Greedy? Lewis Hamilton at $40M for 4 years seems like a bargain for a 35 year old, 7 time world champion GOAT!

Tom Brady got $50M for 2 years, he's 43 and can't run...

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Greedy? Lewis Hamilton at $40M for 4 years seems like a bargain for a 35 year old, 7 time world champion GOAT!

That just shows how much easier it is to generate revenue as a football team than an F1 team.

38 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Lewis is asking for a base of 48.5M USD per year plus 10% of the approximately $200M constructor payment for top team so he wants $70M per year. Unstated is how much of a performance bonus he wants. In his current contract, he has been getting up to another $13.6M is performance payments (payout details unknown) similarly his share of any side representational deals is unknown.  I’m sure he will release his tax return as soon as the audit is complete  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Lewis is asking for a base of 48.5M USD per year plus 10% of the approximately $200M constructor payment for top team so he wants $70M per year. Unstated is how much of a performance bonus he wants. In his current contract, he has been getting up to another $13.6M is performance payments (payout details unknown) similarly his share of any side representational deals is unknown.  I’m sure he will release his tax return as soon as the audit is complete  

Plus a limited addition car

Plus a guaranteed job when he retires.

4 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

I’m going to call you on this one. I’ll wait until I see what his commission on diversity brings in real progress. To be in or near the top level today, you have to have a rich daddy or be incredibly talented and come up through a top team young driver program. You can’t just say “give me a black driver” and go. Form E has WEC And former F-1 drivers. I’ll give some Lewis some time to show he is supporting/sponsoring young drivers from carting though the lower ranks before I condemn him for not hiring what is arguably not there at the moment. 

if his commission turns out to be more talk than action, I’ll be prepared to call him out then 

6 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

I don’t see you ‘flapping your gums’ about the thousands of nfl , baseball, basketball, soccer players and golfers who are making more money then LH...
but you do bring up the racist dog whistle that he’s not putting a black man in his Eextreme car...he’s starting a team he expects to win from the first flag so why wouldn’t he put the best guy available in the car..who just happens to be white, but don’t let that stop you from tarring him with the racist brush..     
you never heard LH say that Ron is a bastard, he doesn’t need to, pretty much everyone knows it, unless you know about the good stuff that Ron does.                                

3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I was way off... So I spent 10 seconds to look up athlete's pay. $70M/yr?? That there is soccer/footballer level of pay! I no longer get my panties in a wad when I hear about athlete pay. They deserve what the market will bare to watch their talents.

I've read several competing article on LH... one said he was only offered 2 years, said no, then another that said he declined a 4 yr deal @ 10M/yr with $4M bonus for championship wins... another speculated 2 years for the cost of 4 years?

For this 'merican, F1 has no sway over my car brand desires. I'm not a Mercedes guy, never have been - never will be, no matter how many races or titles they win!

5 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

That just shows how much easier it is to generate revenue as a football team than an F1 team.

Why don’t you go ahead and tell us how much a top NFL club generates in revenue compared to the Mercedes F1 team...and explain why it’s easier for them..

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

I was way off... So I spent 10 seconds to look up athlete's pay. $70M/yr?? That there is soccer/footballer level of pay! I no longer get my panties in a wad when I hear about athlete pay. They deserve what the market will bare to watch their talents.

I've read several competing article on LH... one said he was only offered 2 years, said no, then another that said he declined a 4 yr deal @ 10M/yr with $4M bonus for championship wins... another speculated 2 years for the cost of 4 years?

For this 'merican, F1 has no sway over my car brand desires. I'm not a Mercedes guy, never have been - never will be, no matter how many races or titles they win!

The only ones who know where the contract talks are at is Wolff and Hamilton, all the rest is bullshit and clickbait as you seem to have found out...

for the non mericans, Mercedes are getting a ROI world wide and are spending relatively little now on F1...which is why they don’t care that you won’t replace your Buick with one of their products..

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ro! said:

The only ones who know where the contract talks are at is Wolff and Hamilton, all the rest is bullshit and clickbait as you seem to have found out...

for the non mericans, Mercedes are getting a ROI world wide and are spending relatively little now on F1...which is why they don’t care that you won’t replace your Buick with one of their products..

LH, Wolff and the Frackers are the only ones in the know!

Close on the Buick ro! as I own a Chevy Silverado! But, I'm a VW fanboy that's owned 2 GTI's and 3 Audi's, currently looking for a used GTI as an everyday car.

F1 is like 'soccer' to 'mericans'! 

Agreed, Mercedes cares not about the USA via F1!!! We think we are the largest global consumer market in the world when we are not! Ask a 'merican what the #1 cellular phone in the world is and they will say the iPhone cus that's how it is in 'merica. Yet, Android owns 70%+ of global cellular OS's... 

4 hours ago, ro! said:

Why don’t you go ahead and tell us how much a top NFL club generates in revenue compared to the Mercedes F1 team...and explain why it’s easier for them..

Why don't we look at it the other way.  In the last few years how many NFL teams gone bankrupt or needed to sell off their whole business to stay afloat?  If it hasn't been 3 a year for the last few years then percentage wise its a lot less than F1.

ie Williams in 2020 

Force India in 2018

Lotus 2015

Marussia 2014

etc

In fact why don't you tell us how many F1 teams have gone bankrupt since that last NFL team went bankrupt (over 30 years) and why that data doesn't support the statement that revenue is easier to come by for an NFL team.

10 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Why don't we look at it the other way.  In the last few years how many NFL teams gone bankrupt or needed to sell off their whole business to stay afloat?  If it hasn't been 3 a year for the last few years then percentage wise its a lot less than F1.

ie Williams in 2020 

Force India in 2018

Lotus 2015

Marussia 2014

etc

In fact why don't you tell us how many F1 teams have gone bankrupt since that last NFL team went bankrupt (over 30 years) and why that data doesn't support the statement that revenue is easier to come by for an NFL team.

Ok...although the conversation was of Mercedes revenue compared to a top NFL team today, where they are similar, and why LH is not a racist scumbag for asking for his market rate and hiring the best driver for his new team

Over  the years many NFL teams have relocated cities, many because they could not produce the revenue to survive, and this avoided bankruptcy. They have developed their revenue streams over many years..tv money, ads, merch and stadium revenue so that it’s almost impossible to fail despite paying players hundreds of millions of dollars.

F1 is late to the franchise party, and only recently has it got a handle on fair distribution of revenues and cost caps.
In the 60/70s where pretty much anyone could buy a DFV and a Hewland g/box and build an F1 car, Bernie was ruthless in letting them sink to improve the overall show to where it is today, which is one reason why so many failed.

As for the failures of last the ten years, the manufacturers desperation to win brought massive budgets, which meant goodbye to the smaller teams who couldn’t raise their game, to the point where an independent team like Haas has to suck on both the Manufacturer and the Bills tit to survive..
And no..I’m not going to count them...

Max thinks that he's going to crush Sergio Perez in the most important race in F1, beating your teammate.  I think Sergio Perez is going to be stronger.  Here's my guess, Sergio has a car that's better than what he came out of and he already showed great driving ability.  MV will over compensate and make bad decisions based on his need to beat Sergio.  

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/max-verstappen-cant-wait-destroy-183000237.html

8 minutes ago, WCB said:

Max thinks that he's going to crush Sergio Perez in the most important race in F1, beating your teammate.  I think Sergio Perez is going to be stronger.  Here's my guess, Sergio has a car that's better than what he came out of and he already showed great driving ability.  MV will over compensate and make bad decisions based on his need to beat Sergio.  

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/max-verstappen-cant-wait-destroy-183000237.html

It’s definitely going to be interesting.  I think Max has more natural talent and potential, but Perez like the other midfielders had been forced to race hard for every spot every week.  

if the Red Bull is hard to drive as many seem to think Perez is going to have to learn fast given the reduced practice days and now shorter P1 and P2 each week.

which begs the question why is the red bull so hard to drive?  Consensus seems to be the Merc is easy to drive and will go wherever you point it.  What have Redbull done in their attempts to catch up that have left the car harder to drive than some of the others. 

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

It’s definitely going to be interesting.  I think Max has more natural talent and potential, but Perez like the other midfielders had been forced to race hard for every spot every week.  

if the Red Bull is hard to drive as many seem to think Perez is going to have to learn fast given the reduced practice days and now shorter P1 and P2 each week.

which begs the question why is the red bull so hard to drive?  Consensus seems to be the Merc is easy to drive and will go wherever you point it.  What have Redbull done in their attempts to catch up that have left the car harder to drive than some of the others. 

Important point in the article that Perez is unable to access the simulator due to covid restrictions.  If the rumours that the RB car is difficult to drive are true, that won't help him.  Still, my gut feel is that Perez will be faster than Albon, and may be able to stay close to Max.

8 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Important point in the article that Perez is unable to access the simulator due to covid restrictions.  If the rumours that the RB car is difficult to drive are true, that won't help him.  Still, my gut feel is that Perez will be faster than Albon, and may be able to stay close to Max.

I wondered about the simulator and the knowledge that the RB is difficult to drive.  Would the simulator mimic that lack of drivability or would it be more planted?

On 1/4/2021 at 5:41 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

back in the 60's standard driver contract was 50% of the winning purse or starting money with no guaranteed base

gas &oil corps, tyre makers and others paid for using their products or for results but no name sponsor big money until lotus renamed the team for the cig corp

but that was the name drivers some guys PAID to drive with out a split

currently there is NO money for winning a race or even the world drivers champ just the TV revenue split by years points total paid the NEXT year in 1/4 payments

and only paid to the team not the driver

Renault have announced F1 Team Principal Cyril Abiteboul is leaving the company, ahead of the team’s relaunch as Alpine for this year.

I can't say I'm particularly surprised. I don't truly believe Renaults woes have come from him but 4 years of mediocrity is a long time. 

Like any motor sports event or other sport or concert. Depends on how you want to play. Single race day from the cheap seats to a weekend pass with better seats and access. Goes up to F-1 club that’s about $6K (last time I looked) for the weekend and includes a private club, usually overlooking Start/finish, with great food and drink and some driver access. 

it’s a weekend “event” including concerts, “fan zone”, etc. 

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

How much does it cost per Ticket to go watch an F1 race?

It depends where you attend.  I went to the Malaysian GP in 2013 and paid the equivalent of $40 for a patch of grass on a hill stand.  That was three days of entertainment including accessing pretty much everywhere except the pits on the practice day.

When I bought the ticket on-line there was a huge difference in the price in CAD and Malaysian ringgit - paying in CAD was about double.  I never quite understood that.

One memory from this experience is the group of local guys sitting near me who spent the entire day ignoring the racing and instead taking pictures of foreign women in the crowd with their telephoto lenses.  

4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

How much does it cost per Ticket to go watch an F1 race?

Went to the Monaco Grand Prix in 2014. The reserved seats at Virage/Louis Chiron were $240 AUS - probably the best seats on the circuit. Also went on the Saturday with seats opposite the Red Bull Garage for $90 AUS.

Capture.thumb.JPG.6d4d94e578080df5d035c5e282fef380.JPG

DSC_1505.JPG.a41dcd82538cc39a6c03f3248eb9d15a.JPG

I think there is some back room games going on with the Melbourne Grand Prix.  If the teams were happy to do the bubble thing which they've done in the past they would have got permission to reduce the quarantine time.  The thing is spectators would have been limited and as such so would the earnings.  By delaying the event there is more chnace decent crowd numbers will be allowed helping the event make money. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, ro! said:

No surprise..with the U.K. in a Covid spike and most F1 personnel living there, no way was Oz going to change its quarantine rules. Maybe they can fit it in late in the season if the vaccines bring us back to normal...

^^^how is this back room games? It’s impossible for F1 to quarantine for two weeks and no way was Oz going to have 1500 blokes from Europe ‘bubble’ into 20 hotels across the city.

11 minutes ago, ro! said:

^^^how is this back room games? It’s impossible for F1 to quarantine for two weeks and no way was Oz going to have 1500 blokes from Europe ‘bubble’ into 20 hotels across the city.

They’re doing it with the Australian Tennis open players are flying in as we speak.  They’ve even arranged training locations for the players to use in the lead up with them each being restricted to a certain number of training hours per day.

The Grand Prix which is fly in and out within a week with 10 teams, media and officials would actually be easier to organise.

I just don’t think the Australian promoters pushed it as hard as they would have if there wasn’t a possibility for a race later in the year.

Formula 1 Is Testing 100% Biofuels for Racing

https://www.thomasnet.com/insights/formula-1-is-testing-100-biofuels-for-racing/?ecms_id=809416aa-8256-4a25-b5e4-452b0f11b889&ecms_short=ART4278&doc_type=ted_video_article&parent_id=6f60cded-c8ab-43b7-abcf-b4e66a486bf5&utm_content=featuredvideo&linktype=title&channel=email&campaign_type=thomas_industry_update&campaign_name=tiu210114&utm_campaign=tiu210114&utm_medium=email&utm_source=thomas_industry_update&tinid=225604543

The latest innovations in biofuel development are coming from what might seem like an unlikely source: Formula 1 racing.

The business that’s historically burned through fossil fuels like it was going out of style finally came to terms with the fact that it was, actually, going out of style. In acknowledgment of the climate crisis, the organization made a pledge to reach carbon neutrality by 2021, with net-zero designation coming in 2030.

One of the major components of this effort has been a complete overhaul of F1’s fuel choice, and it’s been reported that its governing body, FIA, has developed a new fuel for Formula 1 that’s 100% sustainable.

Instead of using food crops like Ethanol for this project, FIA’s uses refined biowaste, a process that generally comes from animal waste or food scraps from farms or processing plants. The next step has been to share barrels of the new fuel with F1 power unit manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, Renault, and Honda, in order for them to test and validate the product.

F1 hopes to prove to the fuel industry that this can be done, opening the door for more innovation from its existing suppliers like Shell and Exxon Mobil to create the fuels themselves.

Even with the test formula in the mix, this would not be an abrupt transition. According to The Drive, F1 vehicles already sort of use sustainable fuels, but the requirement says the mix only need contain 5.75% bio-components. Next season, the target would move to 10%, ideally, and further from there.

According to Formula 1, focusing on biofuels rather than electric powertrains is a way of addressing carbon goals more in the near term, since such a large percentage of the world’s vehicles still use internal combustion engines.

13 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

They’re doing it with the Australian Tennis open players are flying in as we speak.  They’ve even arranged training locations for the players to use in the lead up with them each being restricted to a certain number of training hours per day.

The Grand Prix which is fly in and out within a week with 10 teams, media and officials would actually be easier to organise.

I just don’t think the Australian promoters pushed it as hard as they would have if there wasn’t a possibility for a race later in the year.

I doubt that moving a couple of hundred players,, physios and coaches with their rackets is harder than 1500 people and a thousand tons of equipment..but whatever..

I see the the Oz GP is on calendar 2.0 for November 21...

• 3 weeks later...

So nothing much going on in the world of Formula 1 other than Lando, Toto, Charles, and Pierre all have or had the VID.  So in light of the quiet news cycle for F1 I need a ruling from the F1 faithful.  Jess McFayden, F1 commentator and Autosport Director of Digital Strategy.  Is she hot or am I simply infatuated with her British accent and that is skewing my perspective.  You opinion is greatly appreciated

6c7194811cc5c16e29124f07e62335d1.jpg

MS

On 1/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, ro! said:

Basically it is Mercedes last hurrah.    The board is much more focused and worried about the transition to Electric Vehicles than their F1 team.

Tesla is the fastest growing car company in the world and its market capitalization dwarfs Daimler. As range increase and charging times fall, the horse and buggy ICE manufacturers are scrambling for their very existence. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

So nothing much going on in the world of Formula 1 other than Lando, Toto, Charles, and Pierre all have or had the VID.  So in light of the quiet news cycle for F1 I need a ruling from the F1 faithful.  Jess McFayden, F1 commentator and Autosport Director of Digital Strategy.  Is she hot or am I simply infatuated with her British accent and that is skewing my perspective.  You opinion is greatly appreciated

MS

I'd hit it!

So who's for Fantasy this year?  I think we all kind of lost some momentum last year due to the delayed calendar.

Interesting to see the game makers continue to down play Austin Martin (Racing point) despite them only missing out on third last year due to penalties at the start of the year (and drivers getting Covid) and don't like young English drivers.  Stroll above Norris despite last year's results and rating Mclaren 2 teams higher than Austin.  Latifi over Russel

Verstappen over Bottas is optimistic 

Might be a good year for 2 teams.  "Smart Money" and "go the underdog"

teams.jpg.05256572fc55774021f8911b669ee9fa.jpgdrivers.jpg.f2a64c0ae15a1dac8b65a8208cac4a25.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 6:52 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

MS

On 2/5/2021 at 5:25 AM, billy backstay said:

I'd hit it!

TITS please

and I was hoping LH would just retire and maybe we can have some closer racing.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:08 PM, EYESAILOR said:

Basically it is Mercedes last hurrah.    The board is much more focused and worried about the transition to Electric Vehicles than their F1 team.

Tesla is the fastest growing car company in the world and its market capitalization dwarfs Daimler. As range increase and charging times fall, the horse and buggy ICE manufacturers are scrambling for their very existence. 

Mercedes sell almost as many cars in North America as Tesla do worldwide. The board doesn’t spend any time worrying about F1, it leaves it to the talented people it employs to run it. Just like it trusts the people in charge of MB electric cars and trucks.    
There are a growing number in the auto industry who think that electric is not the future but some other new ideas..Of course we are going to have to wait to see what happens in the next couple of decades, but I would bet it’s not a Mercedes last hurrah...

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody has any thoughts on the proposed sprint races? I didn't want to follow up my own post with another one, but c'mon guys, its been days since that news! :lol:

2 hours ago, suider said:

Nobody has any thoughts on the proposed sprint races? I didn't want to follow up my own post with another one, but c'mon guys, its been days since that news! :lol:

what way does it work with the scoring for them mate? I haven't read much about them yet:wacko:

Latest news was the Sprint race would happen at three tracks, Canada being one of them.

Qualifying would move to Friday, instead of Free Practice two.  And that would determine the grid for the Sprint race.

The Sprint race scoring is still to be determined.  I've read that the points only go to the top 8 finishers in the Sprint race (instead of 10) and it may be half points awarded.  But this seems to be still up in the air.

• Like 1

Not much for details so far... most likely(?) scenario I've seen combines 1) qualifying moved to Friday- now sets the order for sprint race 2)SEEMS as if there would be championship points awarded for the sprint race as well (I've read variations that it would be the top 8 or the top 6 getting points) and 3) sprint race sets field for GP...

but still so many questions... do sprint races count as wins (ie driver contracts)? grid place penalties can be served in sprint race instead?

edit: captn can type faster than I and got the same bullet points...

• Like 2

I don't think the sprint race is a good idea.  Too much pressure while the cars are compressed, there will be quite a few wrecks, and then a smaller grid on Sunday.

There might be teams skipping the sprint unless they formulate the rules such that you can't.  Then there is the issue of power units - will this mean they get more for the season?  Won't that increase the costs while they are trying to bring them down at the same time?

Exactly, @Rain Man.... there are a ton of questions, and I'm still not sure it will accomplish anything to 'better' the racing...

yeah, I think reverse grid is a 'stunt' or whatever you want to call it, but there is very little doubt in my mind that it would at very least add SOME excitement and more passing. This sprint race idea, however, is going to prove what exactly? HAM an BOT out qualify everyone and then have a 1-2 in the sprint race? And then have a 1-2 in the GP? So they have a bigger point lead by the end of the year? How is that making the racing more enjoyable to watch? Yeah, I suppose we get to watch MORE racing, but I'm certainly not convinced it will be any less dominating....And I agree that it is at least likely that there will be more possible wrecks in a sprint race. I dunno... one more season until the car changes and hopefully (even as an unabashed Silver Arrow fan) that will mix things up more than this sprint race idea...

28 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

I would love to see no Friday testing at all, just one short session on Saturday morning, and then straight into quali

Less penalties for aggressive driving

No tire warmers

6 man tire changes

more horsepower

less downforce

simpler wings

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, footlong said:

Less penalties for aggressive driving

No tire warmers

6 man tire changes

more horsepower

less downforce

simpler wings

Yeah deffo, the colder weather that we saw when they stayed in Europe was great for the racing, we need more cold weather racing :D

4 hours ago, 45Roller said:

NFW there is going to be a Canadian GP in June this year.  I hope I am wrong, but Canada is so far behind on vaccinations and has such restrictive entry regulations that I bet it gets dropped.  We are going to have a nasty third wave here once the variants start making the rounds.

Because I've been told more than once on F1 threads that I don't know shit I have a few questions for the group..

1. With Honda and Redbull throwing everything at there last engine spec and knowing its going to be locked in from 22-25 will the new engines be reliable?  I pretty sure there were times last year when Max was wishing he still had a Renault engine.

2. Do the floor and aero changes effect the high rake (redbull) or low rake (merc) cars more?

3. Will it matter?

4. Will Haas's new driver pairing give Williams their best season in years?

5. Who is going to end up on top at Alpine?

6. Has Ferrari remembered how to make a legal 1000HP engine?

7. Will Vettal shine in a green car (when was the last time a green car won a race?)

8. With 3 teams in a row running stories about Ricciardo's wide hips after his "first visits to the factory" will he end up with the nick name "Shakeria" and never be able to tell a lie again?

• Like 1

Alright @SCARECROW, I’ll have a go. Although I always appreciate your thoughts even when we (not that often) disagree...so I’m not really sure where the don’t know shit thing is coming from... 

1. It will be ‘reliable’... but high effing strung. Like you said, they want to go out competing so it will be dialed up- but they also don’t want to go out on a ‘complete unreliable mess’ note either. So if I was equating it to Japanese motorcycles; they won’t be Honda- but they won’t go as far as Kawasaki. They’ll be like Suzuki. :lol:

2. I think high rake.

3. No. Arrows will still be top.

4. Ugh. Toss up. With the cars so frozen Williams still has, well, THAT car. My guess is George will be able to eek out the HAAS cars.... 70% of the time? Because he is a really good natural driver and used to that POS. But Latifi is... well, I just don’t know... I wouldn’t be surprised to see him behind the HAAS cars...

5. Has to be Alonso, no? Like Honda, he knows he’s in his swan song years and will want to make an impression.

6. Did they ever know (in this era, I mean)? I think it may be another tough year for the prancing horses.

7. This is probably the biggest question for me. I THINK he will, yes. But I’ve thought things about Vettel before and been wrong. But that car should be really good this year again, and if he gets his drive back I think he’s back on podiums.

8. This must be an AUS thing...:lol: I’ve got no idea...

I realize that it is an animation, but still REALLY creepy how close Romain's crash came to, well, making him a non-human. Even he admits while not a fan of the halo at first, it certainly saved his life.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, suider said:

I realize that it is an animation, but still REALLY creepy how close Romain's crash came to, well, making him a non-human. Even he admits while not a fan of the halo at first, it certainly saved his life.

I liked that he thanked Jules Bianchi for his loss being the main reason for the Halo.  I think that the Halo is ugly as sin, but this case totally proved it’s necessity. I guess I’m a bit old school, I liked the old helmets where you could identify a driver. Now, with the Halo, you can barely see the helmet, so I guess it doesn’t matter if it looks like a Cholo tagged it! 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, suider said:

Thanks for posting this, had seen some rough animation before, but nothing with this detail. Yeah the halo is ugly, but did an amazing job here, I wonder if the aeroscreen used on IndyCar would have worked as well

• Like 2

As @Chapter Four said over in the Ben Ainslie thread:

"IMHO, this is why Schumacher is better than Hamilton.

He joined a lowly Benetton with an inferior car and took them to multiple Championships.

He then joined a struggling Ferrari and again took them to multiple Championships"

Have to add this photo :lol:

_20210224_180214.JPG

• Like 3
22 hours ago, silent bob said:

He's going to have fun over there. IndyCar is back on the upswing and much tighter racing.

With practice happening at the end of the week..... can anyone remember if it was evident how far off the pace the Ferrari engines were during practice last year?  All I can remember is everyone’s shock at how good the racing points were.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:54 AM, flyingdog said:

Benetton unveils their car:

Image result for benetton f1 car

What a ghastly mish-mash of colors!    I would expect something much more classy from Bendy Toy!