F1 - 2021 Longer Harder Faster

5 hours ago, 45Roller said:

yeah agreed, nice to see no one suffering badly like in other years, maybe the warmer weather makes a difference to reliability?

Being a Ferrari fan, this year can't be any worse than last year, can it? :wacko:

It would take testicular fortitude but with the new rules coming out next year and the amount of wind tunnel testing you're allowed to do being defined by the table mid season, there could be massive long term gains to be made by writing off this year.  One wonders if that is HAAS's plan, blood new drivers in 2021, save up the Rubles and then throw everything at 2022.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it happened this morning, there were only 10 people on the zoom call, and I got to ask a question.  I asked Checo how he was able to match Max's blistering pace so quickly when Max's previous team

Mazespin has arrived by yacht in Monaco!      

Pausing development for a year definitely gave the teams a chance to fix big issues and close the gap.  It makes you wonder if rather than cost caps and limiting aero testing, inversely proportional t

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I agree but think they are behind a bit.  I'm sure the PU is turned pretty far down but you can't fake "tail happy." 

I was thinking the same thing.  We used to call is "sandbagging" back in the day...  Time will tell, looking forward to the next racing

21 hours ago, 45Roller said:

yeah agreed, nice to see no one suffering badly like in other years, maybe the warmer weather makes a difference to reliability?

Being a Ferrari fan, this year can't be any worse than last year, can it? :wacko:

Nay, both drivers will beat Vettel this year.

9 minutes ago, captnjoe said:

Nay, both drivers will beat Vettel this year.

As long as we don't get beaten by the other Ferrari powered cars ffs

• Like 1
On 3/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, 45Roller said:

Out today 

Drive to survive season 3

https://www.netflix.com/title/80204890?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Is that worth paying for?  I don't mind ads that I can close, but won't watch anything with ads that don't close.  Would be interested in watching some of season 2, but appears a membership fee is required?

17 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Is that worth paying for?  I don't mind ads that I can close, but won't watch anything with ads that don't close.  Would be interested in watching some of season 2, but appears a membership fee is required?

I think netflix is worth it, you can sign up for a free trial in most countries 

2 hours ago, 45Roller said:

I think netflix is worth it, you can sign up for a free trial in most countries 

We have netflix, looked like drive to survive was a separate subscription???

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

We have netflix, looked like drive to survive was a separate subscription???

No, it's included, it's a standard item in there, they produce it, so will want it front and centre 

2 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

No, it's included, it's a standard item in there, they produce it, so will want it front and centre 

Missus BB is not going to like my new binge watching choice!!  I sat with her through Schitt's Creek, Doc Martin, Creatures Great and Small, and I don't recall what else.  I suspect, I will be binging in the bedroom, while she does her thing in the living room.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Missus BB is not going to like my new binge watching choice!!  I sat with her through Schitt's Creek, Doc Martin, Creatures Great and Small, and I don't recall what else.  I suspect, I will be binging in the bedroom, while she does her thing in the living room.  

10 episodes around 40 minutes each, not too bad :)

2 hours ago, 45Roller said:

10 episodes around 40 minutes each, not too bad :)

I will watch season 2, last year.  Season one is ancient history now....  Thanks for the heads-up 45roller!!

45 Roller sounds like a project car, in your garage?  Elucidate, please? 

I still covet and want to purchase, the Hi-Performance, Resto Mod classic Mini, that I can acquire soon, but for Covid preventing Tenants from paying, and preventing me from evicting.  Time to liquidate a couple of properties.....

• Like 1
On 3/20/2021 at 10:11 PM, SloopJohnB said:

Just watched the first 2 episodes.

me too, man that whole thing with Bottas in Russia, he was saying oh it's great I beat Lewis... but never mentioned the fact that Lewis had a 10 second stop/go... 

When he beats Lewis on track in a fair fight, then he can properly say "fuck you.." to the people who doubt him....

On 3/21/2021 at 2:00 AM, billy backstay said:

I will watch season 2, last year.  Season one is ancient history now....  Thanks for the heads-up 45roller!!

45 Roller sounds like a project car, in your garage?  Elucidate, please? 

I still covet and want to purchase, the Hi-Performance, Resto Mod classic Mini, that I can acquire soon, but for Covid preventing Tenants from paying, and preventing me from evicting.  Time to liquidate a couple of properties.....

nice one, yeah Season 2 is good alright

No, 45Roller is more of a DJ thing from back in the day, I had a shit name when I joined here first back in 2009, figured I needed to change it :D

that would be a cool car for sure, my dream is an Integrale, but the prices of them are getting crazier all the time, and they are bitch to maintain too apparently :(

Oh, what the heck- I just went and set one up so people can join if they want...

The only thing different this year is that I limited everyone to only 2 teams max (last year was three)- I know I personally only did one last year, but thought I'd give the option of a multi team approach.

Here is the league link: https://fantasy.formula1.com/league/158184

And the code to join is: f2388d8d6b

3 hours ago, 45Roller said:

nice one, yeah Season 2 is good alright

No, 45Roller is more of a DJ thing from back in the day, I had a shit name when I joined here first back in 2009, figured I needed to change it :D

that would be a cool car for sure, my dream is an Integrale, but the prices of them are getting crazier all the time, and they are bitch to maintain too apparently :(

I saw an Integrale on Bring A Trailer recently.  IIIRC, it was bidding in high numbers.  That's like a Ferrari, might require engine out to change the spark plugs! :o

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

I saw an Integrale on Bring A Trailer recently.  IIIRC, it was bidding in high numbers.  That's like a Ferrari, might require engine out to change the spark plugs! :o

yeah not cheap at all mate, love this clip they did on Top Gear back in the day: 

On 3/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, billy backstay said:

45 Roller, this is for you, terrific review.....

Wow thanks for that mate, hadn't seen that one before, so cool 

Netflix has knocked it out of the park with the drive to survive program. brought back a whole flood of emotions. Shows the behind the scenes drama and fun.

last year was one for the record books and I look forward to another great season.

2 hours ago, b green said:

Netflix has knocked it out of the park with the drive to survive program. brought back a whole flood of emotions. Shows the behind the scenes drama and fun.

last year was one for the record books and I look forward to another great season.

This.  SWMBO and I are binge-watching it in the evenings.  Netflix has really figured out how to get into the behind-the-scenes stories, and capture some of the more controversial statements.  I like it because this series has turned my wife into an F1 fan.  Allowing Netflix in to F1 was a brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me.

6 hours ago, b green said:

The Man on Fire is one of the best epsiodes - how he survived that I don't know.

10 segments , 10 teams.....very equal....I learned a lot. very well edited, yes man on fire was very good and had a double meaning as Sergio was also in the segment....hope he does well this year but as they said the second seat at red bull is a tough place to be. 

9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

This.  SWMBO and I are binge-watching it in the evenings.  Netflix has really figured out how to get into the behind-the-scenes stories, and capture some of the more controversial statements.  I like it because this series has turned my wife into an F1 fan.  Allowing Netflix in to F1 was a brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me.

There is hope for me yet!  I sat through Missus Maisel and and a half dozen shows she wanted to binge, so hoping she will have an open mind and get interested!!

Otherwise, I will be in the bedroom using that TV, instead of the living room.  No problem either way, but hope springs eternal!

13 hours ago, 42 South said:

The Man on Fire is one of the best epsiodes - how he survived that I don't know.

It was a particularly good episode, that's for sure. The whole series (again) is great, but that one is really poignant.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, suider said:

Oh, what the heck- I just went and set one up so people can join if they want...

The only thing different this year is that I limited everyone to only 2 teams max (last year was three)- I know I personally only did one last year, but thought I'd give the option of a multi team approach.

Here is the league link: https://fantasy.formula1.com/league/158184

And the code to join is: f2388d8d6b

I'm in and I brought the big guns.  Two teams this year.  I can't believe you can get Russel cheaper than Latifi.

Just now, SCARECROW said:

I'm in and I brought the big guns.  Two teams this year.  I can't believe you can get Russel cheaper than Latifi.

RIGHT!?!? I noticed that too... yeah, I did 2 different teams this year, but some made both... 

Ok all- with an hour left 'till FP1 of the first race of 2021 just wanted to bump this up to the top to see if anyone else wanted to join the fantasy league.... (I mean, I suppose you could after the first race but will  be at a point deficit) 

Linky: https://fantasy.formula1.com/league/158184

Join code: f2388d8d6b

Let's hope for some more excitement this year (which, frankly, I think we may see more than I personally was expecting. RBR appears to be showing up to the party and I am currently not sure MB brought enough snacks)

This could be an interesting season.  Max on pole, followed by the two Mercs and Leclerc in 4th a tenth of a second behind Bottas!

The MacMercs looked great in practice but 6th and 7th in qualifying

Gasley 6 spots ahead of Perez, did RB make the right choice?

Both Williams out qualified Vettel who barely beat Shu Jr. 

This could be a very good year!

3 hours ago, captnjoe said:

This could be an interesting season.  Max on pole, followed by the two Mercs and Leclerc in 4th a tenth of a second behind Bottas!

The MacMercs looked great in practice but 6th and 7th in qualifying

Gasley 6 spots ahead of Perez, did RB make the right choice?

Both Williams out qualified Vettel who barely beat Shu Jr. 

This could be a very good year!

You said it mate, nice to see both Ferrari's in the top ten.

Gotta wonder about Perez's choice to go for the medium in Q2, it was his only chance. He should have just gone for the soft, as the commentary team were saying, its the curse of the 2nd red bull driver.

Well hopefully with a car that's quicker than those around him he should be able to gain a few places 

MotoGP is also looking great this season, top speed recorded during qualifying 362km/hr and an extremely close grid. Their race is just after the F1 race but obviously at a completely different venue.

Tough for Perez. Knew he screwed the early fast lap so stayed with the mediums and then got surprised by the red cars. As you say, the curse of the #2. 

Both AlphaTauri looking pretty racy this season and Alonso top 10 already but looked pretty casual. 

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, SCARECROW said:

It would take testicular fortitude but with the new rules coming out next year and the amount of wind tunnel testing you're allowed to do being defined by the table mid season, there could be massive long term gains to be made by writing off this year.  One wonders if that is HAAS's plan, blood new drivers in 2021, save up the Rubles and then throw everything at 2022.

Only so long Gene Haas is going to keep flushing a hundred Mil a year, without better results.

2 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Only so long Gene Haas is going to keep flushing a hundred Mil a year, without better results.

They have written off this year already to spend what they can on 2022. If the new budget caps don’t help them play harder in 22, I expect they will be out by 2024. 

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

They have written off this year already to spend what they can on 2022. If the new budget caps don’t help them play harder in 22, I expect they will be out by 2024. 

How much money does mazepin bring? Is he in for a couple of years? 

I think with their plan to cut down costs this year, Ruples and etc sponsorship from having MS on board they will almost make a profit in 2021 as long as the kids can keep the cars off the walls.

The Melbourne Race is traditionally a war of attrition with cars breaking down left right and centre and we’ve had less pre season testing along with reduced race week testing.  How many finishers are we expecting and who will parked up by the end?

A few years ago Max would have had a fit giving his position back to Lewis....good sportsmanship and maturity. I enjoyed the race and Sergio's run through the field was outstanding. I think the cars are as closely matched as ever. Going to be another hot season of F1

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Lewis would be much better if he would just leave international politics aside and focus on racing. 

166143782_10158360558072411_612496561897

Why the ship floated free this morning, so this worked. 

Once again Hamilton saves the world!  Don't know how he hides the red cape in his drivers suit.

2 hours ago, b green said:

A few years ago Max would have had a fit giving his position back to Lewis....good sportsmanship and maturity. I enjoyed the race and Sergio's run through the field was outstanding. I think the cars are as closely matched as ever. Going to be another hot season of F1

He still argued with his team who told him the stewards told him it needed to happen so...not sure much has changed.

Speaking of not growing up.  Vettel plows into the back of Ocon and then whines about Ocon changing his line which he clearly didn't.  Way to step up...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WCB said:

He still argued with his team who told him the stewards told him it needed to happen so...not sure much has changed.

Speaking of not growing up.  Vettel plows into the back of Ocon and then whines about Ocon changing his line which he clearly didn't.  Way to step up...

The commentators pointed out that Max made an error by giving the place back where he did - he could have kept Lewis behind until a section of the track came up where the Red Bull had an advantage, allowing him to stay closer before the next DRS zone.  Instead, Max gave the spot up right away, allowing Lewis to get a bigger lead.

Seb needs to see the handwriting on the wall.  Time to take up macrame.  Nothing about his race suggested he has improved from last year, and Stroll kicked his ass.  If he doesn't get something happening soon he should take himself out of the sport to create a seat for a younger driver.  

Alonso has been out of F1 for some time and drove a better race than Vettel prior to retiring.

• Like 1

Red Bull have definitely closed the gap on Mercedes for now.  Seeing Perez get all the way back up to 5th, and seeing the 1/2 fight till the end gives me hope that perhaps this will be more than another Mercedes parade lap year.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Red Bull have definitely closed the gap on Mercedes for now.  Seeing Perez get all the way back up to 5th, and seeing the 1/2 fight till the end gives me hope that perhaps this will be more than another Mercedes parade lap year.

For Max, you are correct!  The other guys, not so much.  I take it back, Perez at 5th in a new car, is pretty good!

and what's all this talk about Honda leaving F1......looks like they made a MAJOR commitment in the off season and came up with a very competitive engine...if they win much I think they will rethink the statement to leave F1, very impressive.

7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

This is going to be a fantastic season, from the looks of it. Re turn 4, did they all get the same message about track limits? 

I know the pit wall told Max that Ham was ignoring limits at turn 4 so he should as well. A few laps later, ham got a warning that he was going to get a black and white the next time around and a penalty after that. His response was “there are no limits on turn 4”. 

If you can ignore the limits until there is a “significant advantage”, then why call them limits at all?  How many times does it take saving 0.05 sec per lap before it becomes significant? Either have limits or don’t. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I know the pit wall told Max that Ham was ignoring limits at turn 4 so he should as well. A few laps later, ham got a warning that he was going to get a black and white the next time around and a penalty after that. His response was “there are no limits on turn 4”. 

If you can ignore the limits until there is a “significant advantage”, then why call them limits at all?  How many times does it take saving 0.05 sec per lap before it becomes significant? Either have limits or don’t. 

Seems like a slam dunk. I wonder why they ruled that way. 

38 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

20210329_200114.jpg

56 minutes ago, b green said:

and what's all this talk about Honda leaving F1......looks like they made a MAJOR commitment in the off season and came up with a very competitive engine...if they win much I think they will rethink the statement to leave F1, very impressive.

I'm sure Red Bull will be happy buying all that IP now 

6 hours ago, billy backstay said:

For Max, you are correct!  The other guys, not so much.  I take it back, Perez at 5th in a new car, is pretty good!

Even better since Perez was at the tail end of the grid at the start. 

• Like 1
On 3/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

On 3/29/2021 at 1:40 PM, Sol Rosenberg said:

Seems like a slam dunk. I wonder why they ruled that way. 

Just put something there that will cause real damage, then they won't exceed the limits.

OIP.QsbKDdwU8QQoa0Hsk5elCgHaE8?pid=ImgDe

Better yet,

• Block their entry back to the track so they have to do a U turn to get back to the track.
  • How about something like a reverse DRS, that slows them for a 5 second period to 1/2 speed they exceed the track at.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, Grrr... said:

Even better since Perez was at the tail end of the grid at the start. 

Well...until turn three or four on the first lap. ;)  

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Liquid said:

When the drivers are in the car and in the garage what are they looking at via the 2 screens propped up in front of them?

Any of several feeds. Can be data review with their engineer, coaching vs a teammate’s quicker line, cleavage thread?  

Max beaten by Sergio Perez, his teammate, quelle surprise??   WTF is wrong with Bottas?   Fantastic lap by Norris, but for track limits!!

• Like 1

Now Max has got a real contender right on the next garage. Let's see how he'll perform under some team mate pressure...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Any of several feeds. Can be data review with their engineer, coaching vs a teammate’s quicker line, cleavage thread?  

Or an Xbox controller and the day's track...

Video of their laps?

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Miami 2022!

What's that going to cost to attend?  I think I will get a better view on my flat screen in the living room!    As soon as Frostbite races are over this afternoon, the DVR will be switched on!!

I had the DVR programmed to play and extra hour, but it only got half of the race, WTF?!?!  So I had to watch the highlights on the net.

8 hours ago, Major Tom said:

What ridiculous re start rules, talk about get out of jail free!

Vettel was bitching about them last season but nobody really seemed to notice them until Hamilton benefitted. I reckon most of the drivers that are punched out the back are not a threat to cut through the field like a hot knife through butter (from back to front anyway....)

Excellent race!  Crying shame that Perez was unable to capitalize on all that hard work.  Looks like Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes are the top 4 this year.  Vettel still needs to start crochet or macrame lessons.

Why did the sky announcers apologize to the audience after showing Valteri giving George the finger?  They've dropped accidental f-bombs....

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Excellent race!  Crying shame that Perez was unable to capitalize on all that hard work.  Looks like Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes are the top 4 this year.  Vettel still needs to start crochet or macrame lessons.

Why did the sky announcers apologize to the audience after showing Valteri giving George the finger?  They've dropped accidental f-bombs....

Bottas is not far behind Vettel in cooking lessons.  When Guenther Steiner of HAAS was interviewed or taped earlier, every other word was fuck, and Toto, is not far behind him!!

• Like 1
On 4/18/2021 at 5:47 AM, billy backstay said:

What's that going to cost to attend?  I think I will get a better view on my flat screen in the living room!    As soon as Frostbite races are over this afternoon, the DVR will be switched on!!

Miami Gardens will be interesting, local boys will be able to not only get the wheels off in 1 sec, but in 10 they can give the car a re-spray and sell it to another team....

• Like 1
10 hours ago, cbm said:

Miami Gardens will be interesting, local boys will be able to not only get the wheels off in 1 sec, but in 10 they can give the car a re-spray and sell it to another team....

:lol:  Don't think there's much of a market for stripped F1 car parts!

On 4/19/2021 at 3:02 AM, Rain Man said:

That absolutely was a great race to watch. Vettel just looks done. At this rate there won’t be much discussion at the end of the year about George taking Valteri’s spot. It will be a foregone conclusion the way Bottas is going. I’m not sold on Ferrari yet, but I don’t see who else can challenge them for the fourth spot. 

I’m just happy to see Red Bull and Mercedes so close to start the season. It feels like the last few years were lost because Red Bull started slowly and became competitive as the season progressed. They do not appear to be throwing away those points this year. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

That absolutely was a great race to watch. 

I am still pissed that the DVR only got the first half of the race, and best I could find online was a 7 minute highlight show.  Anyone know where I might find the whole race online?  I even set the DVR to record an additional hour, the info on Xfinity must have got the time wrong?