Jump to content

F1 - 2021 Longer Harder Faster


Recommended Posts

Red Bull to F1 we have evidence, lots of evidence.

FIA "OK?".

But we have evidence, we will release the Kraken (A.K.A. A video of former F1 driver Alex Albon, trying to mimic Hamilton's line on an empty track).

FIA ""NO!".

Another Kraken bites the dust!  Along with Bed Bull's credibility.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it happened this morning, there were only 10 people on the zoom call, and I got to ask a question.  I asked Checo how he was able to match Max's blistering pace so quickly when Max's previous team

I have to give it to Hamilton, that was one hell of a drive! 

Daniel Ricciardo had a shit eating grin after doing a few laps in the Dale Earnhardt Sr. 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo NASCAR stock car!     https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.watch-riccia

Posted Images

The 10-second penalty should have to be taken immediately upon being awarded. Teams shouldn’t be able to plan it to coincide with a on over\undercut opportunity. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Too funny on the gamesmanship in qualifying today.  Hamilton checking his mirrors in pit lane and keeping Perez from getting another shot at qualifying and almost verstappen.  Would have been better if verstappen had missed out too.

I would say that when you mess with the bull you get the horns but it's a little backwards.

payback is a bitch

Link to post
Share on other sites

What was Mercedes thinking? Were they trying to ruin hamilton's race on purpose? In almost 50 years watching F1 I don't remember seing just one car at the starting grid other than today...

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Trovão said:

What was Mercedes thinking? Were they trying to ruin hamilton's race on purpose? In almost 50 years watching F1 I don't remember seing just one car at the starting grid other than today...

Given the mayhem in the pits. Might have been a good idea,  and likely would have worked if they had restarted a smidge sooner

Hamilton almost did it..just ran out tires and laps...  too bad for max....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Trovão said:

What was Mercedes thinking? Were they trying to ruin hamilton's race on purpose? In almost 50 years watching F1 I don't remember seing just one car at the starting grid other than today...

I think it was Nico Rosberg who said ahead of time that it would be too risky for Hamilton to go in but it was nuts to see only him on the line.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Hamilton had pitted the chances are he would have lost a lot of lot places because their pit is close to pit entry and he would have had to wait for the train of cars to go by before his release. They expected a few other cars to do the same and stay out which would have been the lesser of the two issues. Still one helluva race. Good on Esteban ...very deserving, Alonso ...masterful. Gutted for Seb to lose out on a technicality but he finally seems to be finding his way again after all those years in the Ferrari wilderness. Great  recovery drive by LH. He was pretty sick after the race and his comms during the race were a little off and he seemed a little confused at times, also puffing and panting a lot. Hope  that's not a sign of other issues (possible long covid?). Apparently he had similar but less severe reaction at silverstone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WCB said:

I think it was Nico Rosberg who said ahead of time that it would be too risky for Hamilton to go in but it was nuts to see only him on the line.

can they please fire every other talking head and just let NICO call the race

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vibroman said:

If Hamilton had pitted the chances are he would have lost a lot of lot places because their pit is close to pit entry and he would have had to wait for the train of cars to go by before his release. They expected a few other cars to do the same and stay out which would have been the lesser of the two issues. Still one helluva race. Good on Esteban ...very deserving, Alonso ...masterful. Gutted for Seb to lose out on a technicality but he finally seems to be finding his way again after all those years in the Ferrari wilderness. Great  recovery drive by LH. He was pretty sick after the race and his comms during the race were a little off and he seemed a little confused at times, also puffing and panting a lot. Hope  that's not a sign of other issues (possible long covid?). Apparently he had similar but less severe reaction at silverstone.

Ocon earned that win. He somewhat lucked into his track position but he kept Vettel behind him and Vettel was on a mission from god to pass him and had perhaps the slightly faster car. Alonso proves he can still do it for sure.

They are going to need to address the lateral movements like Alonso did when side by side with Hamilton and the same moves Max made against Hamilton at Sliverstone. Dangerous stuff. In bicycle racing you get tossed for making lateral intimidation moves or impeding others with lateral movements in a pack.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mathystuff said:

There should be a law mandating competent commentary in sports televising.

Nico is incredibly attentive to even the smallest details and tire strategy scenarios, very refreshing. In fact put him and Paul DeResta in the booth and that screaming blowhard somewhere else.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Nico is incredibly attentive to even the smallest details and tire strategy scenarios, very refreshing. In fact put him and Paul DeResta in the booth and that screaming blowhard somewhere else.

MR NICO ROSBERG  is the best ever

get rid of the has beens and the never were guys

ie sky current staff and let nico call the races

he knows what is happening and why all the others just babble BS

maybe just let button stay the rest are totally out of date

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

WELL....I personally think Nico is hard to understand with a low monotone voice....and do not mind announcers who get excited and show spirit. As far as the others spout BS...well that's BS

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 9:45 PM, WCB said:

I think it was Nico Rosberg who said ahead of time that it would be too risky for Hamilton to go in but it was nuts to see only him on the line.

I think Nico also said the teams are not allowed to tell the drivers to box during a formation lap - the drivers have to make that decision themselves - though they may have discussed it with their team before the start of the lap.  Nico also said that once Ocon went in it was an easy decision for the others to join in the pit lane fun.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So despite having the current top 2 drivers in F2 Alpine have exercised their contract extension option for Alonso.  With Ocon already signed for a few more years it would be a bit disheartening for Piastri and Zhou.  Where do they go if they win and get booted from F2?  Williams are more likely to replace Russel with Ticktum and the line for Ferrari linked seats is a mile long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

So despite having the current top 2 drivers in F2 Alpine have exercised their contract extension option for Alonso.  With Ocon already signed for a few more years it would be a bit disheartening for Piastri and Zhou.  Where do they go if they win and get booted from F2?  Williams are more likely to replace Russel with Ticktum and the line for Ferrari linked seats is a mile long.

We need five more teams, like the 90’s!  26 car grids!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

So despite having the current top 2 drivers in F2 Alpine have exercised their contract extension option for Alonso.  With Ocon already signed for a few more years it would be a bit disheartening for Piastri and Zhou.  Where do they go if they win and get booted from F2?  Williams are more likely to replace Russel with Ticktum and the line for Ferrari linked seats is a mile long.

I think Piastri could end up as their reserve driver, it’s a hard sell to pick him over Alonso with next years new rules.

Williams released Ticktum a month ago, allegedly for badmouthing Latifi, Russel  and Bottas could swap seats.

Word on the street is that Kimi is out at Alfa Romeo so there could an open seat, which would be an option for Bottas if he got released from Mercedes..if I was part of the owners consortium at AM, I’d be trying to get Lawrence to replace his kid with Bottas..

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, silent bob said:

We need five more teams, like the 90’s!  26 car grids!  

First corner carnage would be exponentially increased....

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

What happened to the Saturday "Sprint Race", in lieu of Qualifying?   Was that a one off experiment?

They’re going to try to do it again once or twice more this season, and more in the future seasons.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottas qualified 8th, but had a five place grid penalty from the Hungarian GP.  Qualifying was super wet, an ice rink.  Norris had a huge accident in the beginning of Q3. Russell had a great last lap in Q3, but was nipped moments later by Verstappen.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Qualifying was super wet, an ice rink.  Norris had a huge accident in the beginning of Q3. Russell had a great last lap in Q3, but was nipped moments later by Verstappen.  

That Norris crash was scary looking - quick way to delete the ride/setup that he was absolutely crushing the field in. Be interesting to find out what the G hit was for him... 

Then George Russell.... !!! These junior drivers are are making for some good viewing! Already looking forward to 2022.

 

A first for me was the helmet cam inside Fernando Alonso's brain bucket for a hot lap in FP yesterday. Fuck me, they have SHIT visibility...  But you get to watch his wheel control changes before the turns and the sweep of his head from apex to curb to apex and the mini flicks to check the mirrors!!

F1 won't let me post it directly here for some reason but the title is:

Fernando Alonso's Helmet Cam at Spa | 2021 Belgian Grand Prix

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 1:24 AM, ro! said:

I think Piastri could end up as their reserve driver, it’s a hard sell to pick him over Alonso with next years new rules.

Williams released Ticktum a month ago, allegedly for badmouthing Latifi, Russel  and Bottas could swap seats.

Word on the street is that Kimi is out at Alfa Romeo so there could an open seat, which would be an option for Bottas if he got released from Mercedes..if I was part of the owners consortium at AM, I’d be trying to get Lawrence to replace his kid with Bottas.

Forgot about Ticktum's dumping.

AM situation with Stroll is going to be interesting over the next couple of years.  When does Snr's ego overtake his support for Jr's aspirations.  Does Bottas offer much that they don't already have with Vettal?  I'd be looking at a young talent to nurture and their obvious links to Merc might even make a test/reserve driver roll with them more attractive to some than Alpine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, silent bob said:

Women Drivers:  

Hope that all are okay!  Turn up the volume!  

Link didn't work but have seen the footage.  That's scary shit.  How many heads did the Halo keep attached there?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Link didn't work but have seen the footage.  That's scary shit.  How many heads did the Halo keep attached there?

All of them!  I think the Halo is ugly as hell, but it’s shown how much safer it makes the cars.  Grosjean most likely wouldn’t have survived his shunt without it.  
 

Link probably didn’t work due to your location. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

 

It was a rain parade, hopefully the track will be dry tomorrow....

There was a podium ceremony afterwards. They're probably all packed up and gone by now!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, silent bob said:

All of them!  I think the Halo is ugly as hell, but it’s shown how much safer it makes the cars.  Grosjean most likely wouldn’t have survived his shunt without it.  
 

Link probably didn’t work due to your location. 

I hope no one took offense, I certainly don’t have the guts to go through Eau Rouge flat out, even in my VW!  I’m glad that it was only the cars that were seriously damaged!  Spa, on a good day, is a track to be respected!  This weekend was not “A good day”! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two laps under safety car gets you 50% championship points.  Basically just for qualifying.

The leader board briefly showed Max with the fastest lap, but since he only got 12.5 points for the day, I guess they decided to give the fastest lap to the safety car driver.

I think the FIA did this so that all the teams that whined about losing an engine in the last race therefore facing a grid penalty further down the road, may have gotten their engine back.

 

Happy for George Russel and his first podium.  Before Max came on to the podium and it was just George and Lewis: the announcer wondered "how many times are we going to see these two together on the podium in the future!"

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that "race" pretty much guarantees Williams will come in 8th at the end of the season.  Best season for them since 2017 and a healthy increase in their expected share of the prize pool.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captnjoe said:

Two laps under safety car gets you 50% championship points.  Basically just for qualifying.

The leader board briefly showed Max with the fastest lap, but since he only got 12.5 points for the day, I guess they decided to give the fastest lap to the safety car driver.

I think the FIA did this so that all the teams that whined about losing an engine in the last race therefore facing a grid penalty further down the road, may have gotten their engine back.

 

Happy for George Russel and his first podium.  Before Max came on to the podium and it was just George and Lewis: the announcer wondered "how many times are we going to see these two together on the podium in the future!"

 

Should Perez have been awarded half points (6 pts) for his 7th position Qualifying run?  I t5hink so!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 1:24 AM, ro! said:

Word on the street is that Kimi is out at Alfa Romeo so there could an open seat, which would be an option for Bottas if he got released from Mercedes..

Looks like thats a done deal.  I assume its Kimi's seat..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/valtteri-bottas-move-to-alfa-romeo-to-be-confirmed-and-clear-path-for-george-russell-to-join-mercedes/news-story/01fe55e0c0da59295be89fb7a9352cb6

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 8:15 PM, SCARECROW said:

Forgot about Ticktum's dumping.

AM situation with Stroll is going to be interesting over the next couple of years.  When does Snr's ego overtake his support for Jr's aspirations.  Does Bottas offer much that they don't already have with Vettal?  I'd be looking at a young talent to nurture and their obvious links to Merc might even make a test/reserve driver roll with them more attractive to some than Alpine.

Seb hasn’t won a race in years nor has looked likely to, Bettas on his very best day is capable of beating the current WC in the same car, he knows the Mercedes practices that AM need to learn to have a chance to beat them, or you could get someone who’s never driven an F1 car...

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

and Kimi is officially done after this season. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.kimi-raikkonen-to-retire-from-formula-1-at-the-end-of-2021.vxi5ocWxW7KuYa89iZmOm.html
 

The first domino. Sad to see him go, but he’s been around long enough.  Got to make some room for the utes!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

From the above article, at 42 it's definitely time...

During his 344 Grand Prix weekends to date, he has taken 21 wins, 103 podiums and 18 pole positions and now has 10 further races to potentially add to that tally.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, silent bob said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.kimi-raikkonen-to-retire-from-formula-1-at-the-end-of-2021.vxi5ocWxW7KuYa89iZmOm.html
 

The first domino. Sad to see him go, but he’s been around long enough.  Got to make some room for the utes!  

well we can be sure he knows what he's doing

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2021 at 2:05 PM, billy backstay said:

What happened to the Saturday "Sprint Race", in lieu of Qualifying?   Was that a one off experiment?

Monza will have the Sprint Race qualifying, next Saturday!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job my Max today, in front of his home team crowd.  As one of his team was first to say "a mature drive!"

He's come a long way in a few years, and may eventually eclipse Lewis, we shall see....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

well we can be sure he knows what he's doing

Musical Chairs.  Let’s see who gets a seat when the music stops!  You could see Bottas’s frustration yesterday, being forced to drop back, and even give up his fastest lap charge. I wonder how Toto will handle Russell vs. Hamilton?  
 

image.thumb.png.c5cb8ab1776615dd78df924933c59f34.png

 

So, Bottas goes to Alfa Romeo, George Russell goes to Mercedes, who backfills Russell?  Does Giovinazzi keep his seat at Alfa Romeo? Does Vettel stay for another year, or follow Kimi out the door? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Great job my Max today, in front of his home team crowd.  As one of his team was first to say "a mature drive!"

He's come a long way in a few years, and may eventually eclipse Lewis, we shall see....

It's going to be a lot of fun watching Max, Lando, George and Charles in the coming years- good natured good drivers good personalities 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcjsmith said:

So with Bottas leaving.....any reason for Mercedes to not cut a check and tell bottas enjoy your vacation and stay out of our garage, and bring Russel up early?

 

If he hadn't backed off that hot lap at the end, then for sure

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, silent bob said:

Musical Chairs.  Let’s see who gets a seat when the music stops!  You could see Bottas’s frustration yesterday, being forced to drop back, and even give up his fastest lap charge. I wonder how Toto will handle Russell vs. Hamilton?  
 

image.thumb.png.c5cb8ab1776615dd78df924933c59f34.png

 

So, Bottas goes to Alfa Romeo, George Russell goes to Mercedes, who backfills Russell?  Does Giovinazzi keep his seat at Alfa Romeo? Does Vettel stay for another year, or follow Kimi out the door? 

It looks like Albon will get George's seat.  Not sure about Giovinazzi.  I think you'll have to drag Vettel kicking and screaming out of F1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure Merc will want Albon feeding engine info back to RBR as they are starting their new engine program. By all accounts RBR wont release Albon. More likely Nick Devrys at Williams. Thought Albon had an outside chance at alpha tauri but they are standing pat with the current line up. I guess tsnoda has to stay bc Honda Angle.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captnjoe said:

Wow, that’s a surprise!  
 

On 9/6/2021 at 8:54 AM, Marcjsmith said:

So with Bottas leaving.....any reason for Mercedes to not cut a check and tell bottas enjoy your vacation and stay out of our garage, and bring Russel up early?

 

Yes, they still want Hamilton to win the Driver’s Championship.  Couldn’t do that if Russell beats him!  They know that Bottas is a Team Player!  He does what’s asked of him and doesn’t gripe!  They don’t want a repeat of McLaren 2007, where Hamilton and Alonso fought and Kimi snuck through at the end!  
 

image.thumb.png.8685220eed55427345e9804c8142e172.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 seats left (assuming Latifi keeps his).  Williams and Alfa.  

I think Ferrari would kill to get Illot into the Alfa seat so they can watch him and MS over the next couple of years but there seems to be a lot of talk that they don't have as much say in that as they once did.

Williams is interesting.  There seems to be a lot said about Merc having the power to veto a selection (Albon), I wonder if this is actually the case.  If Albon, de Vries, or Illot don't get a ride this time round then I don't think we'll ever see them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

2 seats left (assuming Latifi keeps his).  Williams and Alfa.  

I think Ferrari would kill to get Illot into the Alfa seat so they can watch him and MS over the next couple of years but there seems to be a lot of talk that they don't have as much say in that as they once did.

Williams is interesting.  There seems to be a lot said about Merc having the power to veto a selection (Albon), I wonder if this is actually the case.  If Albon, de Vries, or Illot don't get a ride this time round then I don't think we'll ever see them. 

Wasn't Toto an owner/investor of Williams?  Or was that in Mercedes itself?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

2 seats left (assuming Latifi keeps his).  Williams and Alfa.  

I think Ferrari would kill to get Illot into the Alfa seat so they can watch him and MS over the next couple of years but there seems to be a lot of talk that they don't have as much say in that as they once did.

Williams is interesting.  There seems to be a lot said about Merc having the power to veto a selection (Albon), I wonder if this is actually the case.  If Albon, de Vries, or Illot don't get a ride this time round then I don't think we'll ever see them. 

Albon will be with Williams next season.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad about Bottas having to start tomorrow, after taking a grid penalty for an engine change, and starts at the back of the grid.  That bumps Verstappen up to the front, with Ricciardo next to him on the front row!  Hamilton starts fourth.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Too bad about Bottas having to start tomorrow, after taking a grid penalty for an engine change, and starts at the back of the grid.  That bumps Verstappen up to the front, with Ricciardo next to him on the front row!  Hamilton starts fourth.  

 

MIssed that, hope it's on theDVR?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be shocked to hear the announcement at the start of tonight's race that Hamilton has put in a new engine and will be starting from the back of the grid.  its not often he starts as far back as 4th on on this track I think he'll back himself to pass most of the fleet pretty easily.  Maybe start on hards, he'd be able to get through the cars around him and by the time he gets to cars that could potentially hold him up they'll either be on spent tyres or let him past by pitting.

If Danny Ric can get ahead of Max at the start its his race to loose.  Max has grown up enough that he's not going to risk the title race to beat the guy coming 9th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stewards find against Max: 3 grid place penalty at the next race and 2 penalty points.

Horner says it was a racing incident and will not protest.  I guess that means Red Bull is not going to have Albon drive the track by himself tomorrow to prove Hamilton's line was incorrect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 42 South said:

Mojo now found :)

Russia will be interesting.  The track at Sochi has a lot more in common with Zandvoort than Monza.  Monza is very binary from a break and accelerator point of view.  It is the part speed corners where Riccardo has struggled.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, captnjoe said:

The Stewards find against Max: 3 grid place penalty at the next race and 2 penalty points.

Horner says it was a racing incident and will not protest.  I guess that means Red Bull is not going to have Albon drive the track by himself tomorrow to prove Hamilton's line was incorrect.

Max was seeing red after the pit fuck up and wasn't going to back down.  The call could very easily have gone the other way though.  They needed to give a clearly explained verdict and penalty just to shut up Horner and Wolff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Max was seeing red after the pit fuck up and wasn't going to back down.  The call could very easily have gone the other way though.  They needed to give a clearly explained verdict and penalty just to shut up Horner and Wolff.

image.thumb.png.9e169ebfd59e33000042650edabd907c.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Max was seeing red after the pit fuck up and wasn't going to back down.  The call could very easily have gone the other way though.  They needed to give a clearly explained verdict and penalty just to shut up Horner and Wolff.

The real shame is if Mercedes hadn't screwed up Hamilton's pit stop (4 point something seconds) this wouldn't have happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, captnjoe said:

The real shame is if Mercedes hadn't screwed up Hamilton's pit stop (4 point something seconds) this wouldn't have happened.

 

Same goes for Max pit stop....

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great race and even the sprint race had drama. McLaren are for real, huge need for Red Bull and MB to pass Ric and Norris and they could not do it in the sprint and then in the race, even without Hams slow pit stop, Ric would have undercut him.

Norris and Ric delivered the goods in the race and Max forgot that when you are not leading the points you need to not cause an accident with the driver who is. Assuming Ham was not going to take the proper line in the chicane was lunacy imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FIA got it right.... the thing that I object to is Max walking right by Lewis and not even looking to see if he needed help, THAT is rude! it's just a sport and when you are in are  accident you should care about your competitors .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, b green said:

FIA got it right.... the thing that I object to is Max walking right by Lewis and not even looking to see if he needed help, THAT is rude! it's just a sport and when you are in are  accident you should care about your competitors .

Its funny max said "thats what you get when you dont leave room" right after the accident and I am sure the stewards thought that he was the main culprit in that regard. Max needed to leave room in front of his car for Lewis to make the turn :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Race Director's comments below.

 

Formula 1 race director Michael Masi says Max Verstappen was “predominantly, not fully” to blame for his Monza crash with Lewis Hamilton.

Title rivals Verstappen and Hamilton were involved in a race-ending collision for the second time this season, as the pair ended up in the gravel after coming together at the Rettifilo chicane.

Verstappen went around the outside of Hamilton, who was exiting the pits, at Turn 1, but as he went for the inside line at Turn 2, Verstappen jolted over the sausage kerb and into Hamilton, with his Red Bull going over the top of Hamilton in the Mercedes cockpit.

The stewards would hand Verstappen a three-place grid drop for the upcoming Russian Grand Prix, and Masi explained that this was due to neither driver being fully to blame, but when one is judged to be more at fault, this is the penalty which is applied.

“Their assessment was that effectively Lewis had the corner, it was Lewis’ corner,” Masi told Sky F1 of the stewards’ verdict.

“The other element of it was that Max had other options, whereas as we saw on numerous occasions today [in the race], drivers in similar types of scenarios took the bumps behind Turn 2, and then rejoined the track.

“So it was sort of a combination of those matters, and in handing down their decision, it was that Max was predominantly to blame, so it wasn’t holding Max at fault at all, but he was more at fault than Lewis in that particular situation.

“And as we have seen with incidents this year, and following discussions with the teams and the drivers, if both cars are out and someone is predominantly to blame, a grid penalty will be applied at the following event.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Its funny max said "thats what you get when you dont leave room" right after the accident and I am sure the stewards thought that he was the main culprit in that regard. Max needed to leave room in front of his car for Lewis to make the turn :)

 

Correct!  Lewis was still ahead of him, and he poked his nose in where it didn't belong, and he had no right to....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

Correct!  Lewis was still ahead of him, and he poked his nose in where it didn't belong, and he had no right to....

Max still has a little cooling off to do when in the heat of battle. He's made a lot of progress but now he is up against a wily veteran with very similar car performance and they will continue to get close to each other as both teams try to maximize performance and points. Max has no Niki Lauda around to help him see the big picture and help him with strategies to keep his cool when trying to do well in the heat of the moments. Hopefully he has someone to help him on the psych side. Would be very surprised if he didnt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

Same goes for Max pit stop....

If Red bull hadn't fucked up their stop Mercedes would have kept Hamilton out for another 5-10 laps.  Would have lead to a great last few laps with Hamilton coming from behind on new tyres and Max splitting his time between attacking Daniel and defending against Hamilton and Bottas.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great initiative by F1 to make it compulsory for teams to run junior drivers in some test sessions next year, it does however quickly close the door on experienced back up drivers (Vandoorne, HUlkenburg, Kubica etc).

If you're Webber ringing around on behalf of Piastri who are you chasing?

Option 1. Would probably be a drive with Alfa but pretty unlikely.

Option 2. If Pastri wins F2 but Zhou buys the Alfa seat I'm sure Piastri will have the option of test/ reserve driver at Alpine.  With Ocon re-signing for 3 years he'd be left hoping Alonso gets board and retires at the end of 2022.  I can't see him sticking around if they don't manage to step up with the new rules cars next year. 

Option 3. Mclaren. They don't have a development squad so don't have a clear option to fill this slot unless they continue their deal with Mercedes (de Vries).  Gives you a foot in the door with a B+ team but Lando and Daniel aren't going anywhere for a while.

Option 4. Aston Martin.  Again no junior squad and Vettal won't be around for ever.  Given Snr's aspirations how long will Junior keep his seat.  He was the only incumbent driver not to out to perform his new team mate for the first half of the year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites