F1 - 2021 Longer Harder Faster

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it happened this morning, there were only 10 people on the zoom call, and I got to ask a question.  I asked Checo how he was able to match Max's blistering pace so quickly when Max's previous team

I have to give it to Hamilton, that was one hell of a drive! 

Daniel Ricciardo had a shit eating grin after doing a few laps in the Dale Earnhardt Sr. 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo NASCAR stock car!     https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.watch-riccia

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

Any comments on this? I have nothing nice to say.

11137930-F342-4424-82F6-091D05CE821E.jpeg

When you are successful and wealthy, you can do whatever the hell you please on the fashion front.  While it may not be to everyone's taste, no-one is harmed by this fashion statement, and if you are somehow offended by it, that's your problem.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ro! said:

I think you missed out the bit where Ron took back control, kicked Mercedes into touch because he said you couldn’t win in F1 without a manufacturer and signed up for 3 years of Honda’s underestimation of the competition. Ron got kicked out of his own company when the Honda was slagged off ruthlessly by Alonso, so that Eric Boullier could come on board and organise an ineffective Renault deal, he got let go for Brown to bring back some Mercedes reality to the deal! 
Martin W worked for Ben Ainslie Racing bringing some F1 organization to Bens dream world for a couple of years before bailing when Sir Ratty decided that his fracking business needed a greener image. 
So you are right there was some bumbling just not by Whitmarsh..

I miss a lot. Thanks for the history. Certainly a revolving door there.

1 hour ago, Rain Man said:

When you are successful and wealthy, you can do whatever the hell you please on the fashion front.  While it may not be to everyone's taste, no-one is harmed by this fashion statement, and if you are somehow offended by it, that's your problem.

Not offended, amused.

• Like 1
On 9/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, Rain Man said:

Not to mention that Hamilton paid for a table at the MET Gala and brought some young fashion designers who would otherwise not have had the ability to attend the event.  I would presume that one of them designed that outfit for him.  Good on him to use his resources to support artists in their own endeavors to be successful.

1 hour ago, WCB said:

Not to mention that Hamilton paid for a table at the MET Gala and brought some young fashion designers who would otherwise not have had the ability to attend the event.  I would presume that one of them designed that outfit for him.  Good on him to use his resources to support artists in their own endeavors to be successful.

He and AOC would make for an interesting power couple.  Just saying.  Anyway, back to regular programming....

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

He and AOC would make for an interesting power couple.  Just saying.  Anyway, back to regular programming....

He makes about $50 MILLION a year.  How much would she TAX him?  Just asking for a friend!  He doesn't just live in Monaco because it's "Convenient"!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WCB said:

There’s the designers on his table. Looks like the guy on the end is a pit crew members for Williams in 2075.

7BDD9C47-9498-4FC2-8982-2C185D12CB00.jpeg

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

He makes about $50 MILLION a year.  How much would she TAX him?  Just asking for a friend!  He doesn't just live in Monaco because it's "Convenient"!

His private jet and yacht detailed here...

https://www.superyachtfan.com/private-jet/owner/lewis-hamilton/

4 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Williams will have the same colours in 2075? There will be F1 racing in 2075? Will I be around to care when I am 127?

The same year that Mazepin finishes a race.

14 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

There’s the designers on his table. Looks like the guy on the end is a pit crew members for Williams in 2075.

I think when he got up from the dinner table, he didn't realize he had tucked the tablecloth into his pants.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

6 hours ago, footlong said:

I think when he got up from the dinner table, he didn't realize he had tucked the tablecloth into his pants.

I think his skirt got caught in the brake pedal!  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Awesome race!!  Gutted for Lando; he should have followed team instructions and pitted for Intermediates!!

painful to watch him blow it...he had it in his hands

• Like 1
6 hours ago, silent bob said:

That was a great first lap!  A hell of a charge by Verstappen to come from 20th to 2nd!  

It was nice to see a first lap without any crashes. That was a fun race to watch.

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

It was nice to see a first lap without any crashes. That was a fun race to watch.

It was fun to watch a first lap where it wasn't all over in the first corner.  The announcers were pulling their hair out corner after corner with all of the jostling for position.

what were Mercedes thinking sending Bottas to the back like that?  Its not like they can put one of his 2 new engines in Hamilton's car.  he was far more liekly to be able to hold max up in the mid field with spent tyres, than at the back at the start of the race.

That was a hard lesson for Maclaren and Lando on the importance of good communication.  They told him multiple times to come in to which he clearly refused.  Possibly if they'd been clearer and said "the rain is going to get heavier" good sense may have overcome adrenaline.

ironically if he had come in, there is a chance Lewis would have stayed out.

• Like 1

Meanwhile Alpine have gone dead quite on F2.  Haven't even acknowledged Piastri's second pole to feature race win in two races on their social media.  Are they hoping no-one (sauber) notices and someone takes Zhou off their hands and leaves them with Piastri as a reserve/test driver?

Wow, great race.  It was like watching the Hunger Games.  Just when you thought Lando was going to make it, his chances are dashed.  Nobody mentioned it but Alonso may have driven the race of his life, bringing the slower Alpine in at 6th place.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

what were Mercedes thinking sending Bottas to the back like that?  Its not like they can put one of his 2 new engines in Hamilton's car.  he was far more liekly to be able to hold max up in the mid field with spent tyres, than at the back at the start of the race.

That was a hard lesson for Maclaren and Lando on the importance of good communication.  They told him multiple times to come in to which he clearly refused.  Possibly if they'd been clearer and said "the rain is going to get heavier" good sense may have overcome adrenaline.

ironically if he had come in, there is a chance Lewis would have stayed out.

They kept saying the undercut was very powerful on this track??

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

They kept saying the undercut was very powerful on this track??

That was the dumbest thing I heard the whole race. Undercut. Why can't car racing come up with it's own term instead of stealing one from Boxing. Besides I did not see anyone get their chin lifted..

Everyone that lost was because of their own dumb mistakes. That usually happens in sailing too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

That was the dumbest thing I heard the whole race. Undercut. Why can't car racing come up with it's own term instead of stealing one from Boxing. Besides I did not see anyone get their chin lifted..

Everyone that lost was because of their own dumb mistakes. That usually happens in sailing too.

I have heard of uppercut in boxing, but never undercut??   The term has been around in F1, for at least a few years, perhaps more.   Or, did you forget to use the purple sarcasm font?

• Like 1

What's an undercut in F1?

I thought Sochi was interesting because strategy was the winner of the day and watching everybody be all over the board with 'random' pitting kept me thoroughly engaged.

The season is getting better and better (only my 4th or 5th season following)! I think Lewis is sweating the target on his back that Max is aiming at! 

Good lesson for Lando to learn as a pup - let cooler heads prevail and listen! I get his call/instinct tho - 'damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead, I got this'! Deep down inside, as an owner, you'd love that shit... even tho it didn't work out! Go Lando!!!!

$1 bet: Max wins it this year.

22 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I have heard of uppercut in boxing, but never undercut??   The term has been around in F1, for at least a few years, perhaps more.   Or, did you forget to use the purple sarcasm font?

My Bad, I thought they were saying Uppercut. Fracking British accent

23 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

when you pit a little bit before you really need to so you are out and running on fresh tyres before the guy you're racing.

Exactly!!.  you cleverly sneak in, a lap or two before you think the other guy is going to, and often come out with an advantage..

There was also some clever tricks with the pit crew racing out with tires ready, and fooling the competitors pit crew to come in now, but it was a fake, and you stay out for another lap or two.... 

Strategy!!!  Kind of like ball players faking plays, and drawing the other team off the ball..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Exactly!!.  you cleverly sneak in, a lap or two before you think the other guy is going to, and often come out with an advantage..

There was also some clever tricks with the pit crew racing out with tires ready, and fooling the competitors pit crew to come in now, but it was a fake, and you stay out for another lap or two.... 

Strategy!!!  Kind of like ball players faking plays, and drawing the other team off the ball..

Yeah, LH "My tyres are shit" and then goes for another 20 laps, setting fastest lap four times!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, silent bob said:

Yeah, LH "My tyres are shit" and then goes for another 20 laps, setting fastest lap four times!

He has some kind of code worked out with his engineer.  This happens a lot.

6 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

when you pit a little bit before you really need to so you are out and running on fresh tyres before the guy you're racing.

Plus, the teams will try to bring their driver out on fresh tires with a gap in front of them so they can use the tires to put in a couple of very quick laps until they hit traffic.  Usually this is enough to pass a car that was in front of them prior to the pit stop.  

It is also why getting the pit stops done right is critical, if there is even a second additional time added to the stop the driver may come out in traffic and missing the gap.  Following slower cars on fresh tires cancels out the advantage.

9 hours ago, silent bob said:

Yes!  Perfect example of faking out the competition!! 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:13 PM, Major Tom said:

Do you need subtitles?

English to english?!

I got caught on a delivery with an Australian and an Englishman, and could barely understand their conversations!  

4 hours ago, silent bob said:

English to english?!

I got caught on a delivery with an Australian and an Englishman, and could barely understand their conversations!  

I have spent a lot of time abroad and traveling, so don’t have many issues with accents, however I spent a few months in Grenada West Indies and that was quite hard…..

2 hours ago, b green said:

We'll see if LH can do what Max did last race = come back from a penalty to contend for the podium, should be a good race.

from 11th should be easier than from last...

2 hours ago, b green said:

11Th is where it gets hard

Yep and Max was helped by the shuffle at the end when the rain came.

Can Lewis pick his tyres?  11th usually can but I’m not sure if you’re there due to grid penalties.  Assuming he can I would be surprised to see him start on hards and try and go long.  It would be tempting to start soft pass as many as possible then swap onto hards but that means passing a lot of cars twice and they have zero long run data on this track.

3 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Can Lewis pick his tyres?  11th usually can but I’m not sure if you’re there due to grid penalties.  Assuming he can I would be surprised to see him start on hards and try and go long.  It would be tempting to start soft pass as many as possible then swap onto hards but that means passing a lot of cars twice and they have zero long run data on this track.

Depends on some unknown variables, like a Safety Car, undercut, overcut, etc....

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

No he has to start on the same tires he set his fastest lap in Q2. Merc were hoping others in the top 10 would use softs so they could create a split tyre strategy. If it rains of course the can start on wets.

Ok here’s my picks for tonight’s race…

Bottas will get away well but between him and the garage find a way to lose the race.

initially we’ll have either a red of a blue car in front of Max but eventually he’ll clear the fleet for the win.

Lewis will end up with front wing damage during the first lap requiring him to pit early but he’ll still be on the podium.

Riccardo and Sainz will spend way to much time fighting each other to make any meaningful progress past about 9 and 10 (if they’re lucky) with Danny being quick down the back but not able to match Sainz through the more complicated half of the track.

Alonso for his first podium of the year.

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

That would be sweet.  He has been sniffing at it for some time now.  

Side question…

has anyone been able to work out why Alpine were in such a rush to offer Ocon a 3 year contract near the start of the year?  It’s not as if anyone was going to poach him and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire.  At the time he was out driving Alonzo, but all the incumbent drivers were out-performing there new team mates at the time.

Ocon drove the whole race on one set of tires...for a point. well done , not sure LH could have held off Perez 

for third with the original tires....6 of one half dozen of another. lots of great racing in difficult conditions.

12 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Ok here’s my picks for tonight’s race…

Bottas will get away well but between him and the garage find a way to lose the race. Wrong

initially we’ll have either a red of a blue car in front of Max but eventually he’ll clear the fleet for the win. Wrong

Lewis will end up with front wing damage during the first lap requiring him to pit early but he’ll still be on the podium. Wrong

Riccardo and Sainz will spend way to much time fighting each other to make any meaningful progress past about 9 and 10 (if they’re lucky) with Danny being quick down the back but not able to match Sainz through the more complicated half of the track. Wrong 

Good thing you don't rely on gambling for an income!

On 10/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, b green said:

Ocon drove the whole race on one set of tires...for a point. well done , not sure LH could have held off Perez 

for third with the original tires....6 of one half dozen of another. lots of great racing in difficult conditions.

brundle says Ocon's tires were down to the canvas

5 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

brundle says Ocon's tires were down to the canvas

And Hamilton is sporting a new nautical clothing line after complaining about team tactics on his pit stop.

image.png.db1385bb1006ebdea40390d061ea7be8.png

1 hour ago, silent bob said:

And Hamilton is sporting a new nautical clothing line after complaining about team tactics on his pit stop.

image.png.db1385bb1006ebdea40390d061ea7be8.png

Great shirt, mate!!  Where can I buy a dozen to my mates, that will have no understanding.  I will not send it to the ones who will immediately understand....

On 10/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, billy backstay said:

100% Wrong!  LOL  :D

It is much easier to be wrong than right.  I'm going to take it that no one disagreeing with me before the race meant everyone actually agreed so you were all wrong too...

Here is something else I can be wrong about...

Ricciardo will stink again next Race (US) but do ok in mexico

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

It is much easier to be wrong than right.  I'm going to take it that no one disagreeing with me before the race meant everyone actually agreed so you were all wrong too...

Here is something else I can be wrong about...

Ricciardo will stink again next Race (US) but do ok in mexico

I don’t think anyone here would pull all these predictions out of his /her arse and then when they are 100% wrong say that everyone is wrong because they couldn’t be arsed to dispute them…

silent bob has an appropriate tee you might like…

8 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Oh?  Please share???

Look up a few posts.... not that I want to get involved in this wee tempest in a teapot.

• Like 1
On 10/12/2021 at 1:56 PM, Rain Man said:

Look up a few posts.... not that I want to get involved in this wee tempest in a teapot.

I respect Hamilton as a driver, but he can be the whiniest bitch on the radio!  Shut up and drive!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, silent bob said:

I respect Hamilton as a driver, but he can be the whiniest bitch on the radio!  Shut up and drive!

7 hours ago, silent bob said:

I think it’s easy to say they are whiney and stfu, but we are listening in when they are experiencing extreme G forces, body temp/hydration issues and they are trying to figure out track drying/ tyre life because they are the ones in the car. This time the pitwall was right, but didn’t push it, to the point where everyone was wrong..

We can always turn down the volume but then we wouldn’t get this insight of what’s going through their heads!

I can’t tell you how whiney I get what we can’t make the top mark w/o a tack or why I can’t heat up enough to get to the bottom mark sooner! 

• Like 1
On 10/14/2021 at 8:06 PM, ro! said:

I can’t tell you how whiney I get what we can’t make the top mark w/o a tack or why I can’t heat up enough to get to the bottom mark sooner! 

I get pissed when we over stand the top mark. I'd rather toss in a short tack. My boat tacks well.

When my crew tells me to go deep and not heat it up, I just say STFU, I'm driving and need to set it up for a good rounding, besides I want to go fast not low and slow.

2 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I get pissed when we over stand the top mark. I'd rather toss in a short tack. My boat tacks well.

When my crew tells me to go deep and not heat it up, I just say STFU, I'm driving and need to set it up for a good rounding, besides I want to go fast not low and slow.

There is no "I" in team, but there are 3 "u's" in STFU!! :D

15 hours ago, captnjoe said:

Poor Martin Brundle gets the snub from a rapper that probably has no idea what F1 is:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/24/megan-thee-stallion-forumula-1-racing-martin-brundle-entourage-question/

I saw that live. What the F was she dressed for, Looked like a total skank and why did she have so many security on the grid? Not like anyone was going to jump her............eewwww

The first half was great then it became the usual parade. The outcome was obvious. But it is so tight at the top, the rest of the races will no doubt be good, if Max and Lewis and keep from taking each other out.

• Like 1

What does everyone think is happening with Bottas’s engines?  I can’t help but think he his being used as a mule and Mercedes are turning his engines up a bit then pulling them apart and seeing how much damage occurs in the “real world”. 

• Like 1
On 10/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, b green said:

Danica is a great sports personality! Super race, clean fight, good tactics, on to Mexico.

I thought she was lame, brought nothing     

Just now, Latadjust said:

I thought she was lame, brought nothing     

But totally agree with your other points! Loving this, go Max!

• Like 1
On 10/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, Meat Wad said:

I saw that live. What the F was she dressed for, Looked like a total skank and why did she have so many security on the grid? Not like anyone was going to jump her............eewwww

The first half was great then it became the usual parade. The outcome was obvious. But it is so tight at the top, the rest of the races will no doubt be good, if Max and Lewis and keep from taking each other out.

It shows why they need to make following other cars easier.  There was no way that Lewis was going to get past Max, even with a higher speed on the straights, unless he could do it when he had a fresh tire advantage.  Once the tires became more even the only hope Lewis had was that Max's tires would go off the cliff.  They didn't.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:23 AM, Rain Man said:

It shows why they need to make following other cars easier.  There was no way that Lewis was going to get past Max, even with a higher speed on the straights, unless he could do it when he had a fresh tire advantage.  Once the tires became more even the only hope Lewis had was that Max's tires would go off the cliff.  They didn't.

I agree with you.. but no way could I have said half way thru the race that the result was obvious..the strategies didn’t play out until two laps from the end.

I wonder how Perez is dealing with not being allowed to win the Mexican GP if Max is behind him?