F1 - 2021 Longer Harder Faster

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, it happened this morning, there were only 10 people on the zoom call, and I got to ask a question.  I asked Checo how he was able to match Max's blistering pace so quickly when Max's previous team

I have to give it to Hamilton, that was one hell of a drive! 

Daniel Ricciardo had a shit eating grin after doing a few laps in the Dale Earnhardt Sr. 1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo NASCAR stock car!     https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.watch-riccia

Posted Images

23 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

going to be interesting these last few races

I wonder if MB is working on next years car more than RB is.

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the Bush for RB

MB tend to hit the ground running at the start of each season.  I think next year this will be more of the case.  The real question is have any of the mid-pack most of whom appear to have stopped development earlier managed any breakthroughs. 

Did Max just save Lewis from what could have been quite a large penalty and land himself a bigger one?

He clearly "fiddles" with both his and Lewis wings and even does a guilty look up before he does.

Even if he didn't effect Lewis's wing Mercedes will say he did and the element of uncertainty will save Lewis.

Our son-in-law who was previously only a golf nut, has come over to the dark side of F1.  We both agree that it is Max's championship to lose at this point in time, unless everything goes right for him, from now until the end.  But any wild card event, or mishap could upset anyone's apple cart.  No DVR here on Sullivan's Island, SC so will have to watch live, or settle for YouTube replays.....

40 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Why do people keep putting medium tires on for the sprint races?  all three races have seen people running the red tyres benefiting. 

barely...

8 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

barely is enough..

The sprint in Interlagos was a bit of a coin toss before the race, no one expected VB’s softs to last but it was colder and he did a great race to make them last. I don’t think that Max or SP on mediums were going to fight him hard with the risk to today’s race.

Lewis gained 15 places on the mediums!..should be an interesting race today..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Max has been improving every year. This is his year. He earned it. 

Not yet.........

Hamilton just became the winningest F1 driver ever, 101 wins. He wants his 8th world championship. This season is going right down to the wire, and it's great to watch.

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

Not yet.........

Hamilton just became the winningest F1 driver ever, 101 wins. He wants his 8th world championship. This season is going right down to the wire, and it's great to watch.

He’s a fighter and he’s the GOAT. I hope he can do that the rest of the way, but there is just no margin for error anymore. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, b green said:

Max still have a lot to learn...."yea perfect say Hi"=smart ass. FIA will take note. I think he ran LH off the road.

Regardless of his wiseass comment there, Max has matured greatly over the past few years.  Lewis is the GOAT, for the time being, but Max has tremendous potential for such a young driver..  

• Like 1

That was a race! Hamilton was relentless on max's ass for 20 laps. Max generally kept his cool and drove the car but lewis kept coming at him and eventually max had to screw up his line so much to keep lewis behind in turn 1 that he became a sitting duck in the next drs zone. Lewis was like a terminator. 

So refreshing to see racing on the track like that. 

• Like 2

Boy was that fun.

Lewis put on a Masterclass all weekend...the best GP weekend in a long time.

MB’s straightline speed with the new setup is going to be tough to beat with three fast tracks remaining.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the championship goes right down to the closer in Abu Dhabi.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sodajerk said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the championship goes right down to the closer in Abu Dhabi.

With the decider being the second driver stealing a way a fastest lap point of either LH or MV ....

Alfa Romeo will run an all-new line-up in 2022, after they announced Antonio Giovinazzi is leaving the team at the end of this season.

Valtteri Bottas is joining from Mercedes next season, replacing outgoing 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen, while the identity of his team mate has been the subject of speculation for several months.

F2 racer Guanyu Zhou has been the long-time favourite, but Team Principal Fred Vasseur had not ruled out retaining incumbent Giovinazzi.

But on Tuesday morning, ahead of this weekend’s Qatar Grand Prix, Alfa Romeo revealed Giovinazzi will leave the team after the season finale in Abu Dhabi – and with no remaining seats left for 2022, it brings to an end (at least for now) his time racing in F1.

Mmm Max’s onboard clearly shows him not turning in or even trying for the apex and running wide at entry. Only afterwards adds some lock. Hamilton had the corner. Others who have made similar lunges in the past have been penalized. Max’s assertion that he tried to make the apex and understeered out does not appear to be supported by the steering input evidence. 
It is what it is and all part of the game. I think Massi et al have a very difficult Job but should have access to all the data before making decisions.

Bad form Max

1 hour ago, vibroman said:

Mmm Max’s onboard clearly shows him not turning in or even trying for the apex and running wide at entry. Only afterwards adds some lock. Hamilton had the corner. Others who have made similar lunges in the past have been penalized. Max’s assertion that he tried to make the apex and understeered out does not appear to be supported by the steering input evidence. 
It is what it is and all part of the game. I think Massi et al have a very difficult Job but should have access to all the data before making decisions.

Bad form Max

given the amount of data being feed back from the cars, its amazing they don't have a tracker with car placements, wheel and throttle inputs so that the info can be used in real time (like AC border penalties).  Relying on broadcast cameras seems very 20th century.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
On 11/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, SCARECROW said:

given the amount of data being feed back from the cars, its amazing they don't have a tracker with car placements, wheel and throttle inputs so that the info can be used in real time (like AC border penalties).  Relying on broadcast cameras seems very 20th century.

FIA get all the data, just not in real time. They have to wait for a post race data and vid file dump.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:23 AM, nota said:

There's no "VW or Audi"

VW=VW/Audi/Porsche/Bentley/Rimac-Bugati/Ducati/Lambo....

Where's Porsche in this version 18 rumor?

It's real, it's a rumor, no really Porsche is all in fianlly... well, maybe-ish...

This time, now its real! 

Wait, nope, not yet... but maybe......

2026!?

xfinity say Friday Quali is there, but they want me to connect to something, but linky, no worky??

I clicked on the icon to give them money, but it was a dead link......

And this new Dell laptop is so frightenly fast, if I accidentally "brush"  a random key, the screen launches into another screen, from another dimension....

Side thought while I was walking the dog this morning....

How much is Danny Ricciardo owning the modern social media / reality TV F1 world?  costumes etc for local event where poeople are likely to be there for the show.  Always there for an extended interview and "funny comment".

I'm willing to bet he sells more "merch" than almost everyone else other than Hamilton and Verstappin (and maybe Perez while they were in mexico).

The guy has more in common with Kim Kardashion than his wide hips.. 

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

xfinity say Friday Quali is there, but they want me to connect to something, but linky, no worky??

I clicked on the icon to give them money, but it was a dead link......

And this new Dell laptop is so frightenly fast, if I accidentally "brush"  a random key, the screen launches into another screen, from another dimension....

Get the subscription to F1 TV, $79.99 a year!  You can watch all races live, or stream them later.  Lots of extra content!  I got it mostly for the archives, but I really like all the new stuff too!  I’ve watched races on my PC and iPad. I cast races from my iPad to my tv’s. It was great watching the Mexican GP on the new 82” Samsung!   You can select several different screens during practice, qualifying, and races, a data screen, and in-car cameras.  I have Rectum Cable, and could only get a few practice and qualifying sessions.  

1A1FFDBD-9A6D-4618-8EAF-A276ED9C6E4B.png

7CDFFD86-0A63-40F3-AB72-3EDF9D25D6F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Side thought while I was walking the dog this morning....

How much is Danny Ricciardo owning the modern social media / reality TV F1 world?  costumes etc for local event where poeople are likely to be there for the show.  Always there for an extended interview and "funny comment".

I'm willing to bet he sells more "merch" than almost everyone else other than Hamilton and Verstappin (and maybe Perez while they were in mexico).

The guy has more in common with Kim Kardashion than his wide hips.. 

He does have the most personality out of everybody on the grid!  His shit eating grin during and after driving Dale Earnhardt’s car was great.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard him gripe about anything. But sometimes I do appreciate Räikkönen‘s and Vettel’s dryness.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, silent bob said:

Get the subscription to F1 TV, $79.99 a year!  You can watch all races live, or stream them later.  Lots of extra content!  I got it mostly for the archives, but I really like all the new stuff too!  I’ve watched races on my PC and iPad. I cast races from my iPad to my tv’s. It was great watching the Mexican GP on the new 82” Samsung!   You can select several different screens during practice, qualifying, and races, a data screen, and in-car cameras.  I have Rectum Cable, and could only get a few practice and qualifying sessions.  

1A1FFDBD-9A6D-4618-8EAF-A276ED9C6E4B.png

7CDFFD86-0A63-40F3-AB72-3EDF9D25D6F0.jpeg

^++

I've cut the cord but this is a worthy subscription - my 3rd year! You just have to be careful not to follow F1 social media too closely as you will end up knowing what happened by the time you get to watch the replays!

In a crunch, you can watch all 3 days of a race weekend in an hour!

@silent bob I wish I could use the various feeds while I cast it to my little 65" Samsung. Can you?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Liquid said:

^++

I've cut the cord but this is a worthy subscription - my 3rd year! You just have to be careful not to follow F1 social media too closely as you will end up knowing what happened by the time you get to watch the replays!

In a crunch, you can watch all 3 days of a race weekend in an hour!

I wish I could use the various feeds while I cast it to my TV tho...

If you’re watching live, you can have several screens going at the same time (I don’t think you could synchronize if streaming). I want to cast it from my iPad to the 82” 4K tv, and run the data screen on the laptop PC.  

And, yeah, I’ve had a few spoilers by looking at Facebook!  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, b green said:

I hope the protests and politics do not become the outcome of the championship and the last two races. 

Max did a good job getting to second within a few laps, with a little cat and mouse with tires...good fun.

I am just happy to have a championship fight that is still going on, this late in the season. What a great year. As long as rules are applied evenly, I’m fine with it. 

6 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I am just happy to have a championship fight that is still going on, this late in the season. What a great year. As long as rules are applied evenly, I’m fine with it. 

Best racing in many years!!  

• Like 1

how smart have Mercedes been with engines.  Cycle Bottas through some engines mid season so they can turn them up, then investigate damage (bonus being some out of character good performances) then use that data to see how much they can get out of Lewis’s engine if it only has to last 3 races.

wonder if the share the data with customer teams…

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

how smart have Mercedes been with engines.  Cycle Bottas through some engines mid season so they can turn them up, then investigate damage (bonus being some out of character good performances) then use that data to see how much they can get out of Lewis’s engine if it only has to last 3 races.

wonder if the share the data with customer teams…

Interesting thoughts?  Are you speculating, or do you have some documented info to support your speculation??

Either way, they are interesting questions.......??

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Interesting thoughts?  Are you speculating, or do you have some documented info to support your speculation??

Either way, they are interesting questions.......??

My observations and extrapolations.  Ever since last year's one engine mode fro the whole weekend policy the teams have lost some of their ability to get the most out of the engine especially merc who used to have their "party mode" (of ourse everyone had similar but theirs seemed to be next level.  knowing that an engine has to do 3 races instead of at least 6-7 would definitely give them to option to run it above the "red line".

There are 8 cars on the track running Mercedes engines and as far as I'm aware only Hamilton and Bottas have take 5+ engines.  What are the odds?

9 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

My observations and extrapolations.  Ever since last year's one engine mode fro the whole weekend policy the teams have lost some of their ability to get the most out of the engine especially merc who used to have their "party mode" (of ourse everyone had similar but theirs seemed to be next level.  knowing that an engine has to do 3 races instead of at least 6-7 would definitely give them to option to run it above the "red line".

There are 8 cars on the track running Mercedes engines and as far as I'm aware only Hamilton and Bottas have take 5+ engines.  What are the odds?

Ya reckon Lewis is done taking engines at this point? If they are getting three races out of them, that leaves one race in the current one. Or let it ride and hope it stays together for four?

I used to feel bad for Bottas getting chucked from Mercedes but after watching him continually flub races, I am looking forward to seeing what Russell can do with that car next year.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, LeoV said:

Lewis did use an older engine last race, his faster newer engine will be used next race.
Looks like they are optimizing swapping engines :)

Wasn’t a particularly old engine though.  Almost certainly the one they fitted in turkey making this it’s third race.

Just going to say I like it when tyres blow as long as they fail in a “safe” manner.  Adds to the Russian roulette of pit strategy.  The whole it’s time to change tyres because we’re loosing .5 second per lap doesn’t do a lot when you’re on one of the many hard to pass tracks.

imagine if there was a clear 2 second speed difference between the tyres but you knew that the sifts would fail somewhere between 10-15 laps, mediums would get you 20-25 and hards could go 30-35 but if you tried to run too long you’d be left trying to get back to the pit on 3 tyres.

3 hours ago, WCB said:

I used to feel bad for Bottas getting chucked from Mercedes but after watching him continually flub races, I am looking forward to seeing what Russell can do with that car next year.

Sadly he is destined to become the next Kimi, slowly fading away into the back of the field, obscurity, and retirement from the sport.  In his case, however, he never achieved WDC. Too bad, because in a field of lesser drivers he might have made it to WDC, because he was in arguably the best car, but he couldn't do it against Hamilton and Verstappen.

• Like 2

Looks like for Merc 5 races old motor is a dinosaur,  2 races is old, 1 race is fresh. Good for them if they have them in stock...penalty is now only 5 places for using a new one.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, Rain Man said:

Sadly he is destined to become the next Kimi, slowly fading away into the back of the field, obscurity, and retirement from the sport.  In his case, however, he never achieved WDC. Too bad, because in a field of lesser drivers he might have made it to WDC, because he was in arguably the best car, but he couldn't do it against Hamilton and Verstappen.

Sadly, I think Bottas will fade much faster than Kimi.  Kimi still has a ride, many years beyond his peak....

• Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, Rain Man said:

This.  SWMBO and I are binge-watching it in the evenings.  Netflix has really figured out how to get into the behind-the-scenes stories, and capture some of the more controversial statements.  I like it because this series has turned my wife into an F1 fan.  Allowing Netflix in to F1 was a brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me.

great explanation here of how Liberty Media took over F1 and then did the series when some of the manufacturers continued to be utter self centered tools.

One can only hope Liberty Media decides to do the same for the America's Cup as it has the same issues of fiefdoms, tools at the top, overpriced technology toys, and ignorance of how media works in the 21st century..

Looking at this weekend’s track and hearing all the talk about the speed of all the corners, I’m thinking that teams are going to have issues working out when and where to charge and we’ll be hearing a lot of drivers complaining about “clipping”

8 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Looking at this weekend’s track and hearing all the talk about the speed of all the corners, I’m thinking that teams are going to have issues working out when and where to charge and we’ll be hearing a lot of drivers complaining about “clipping”

What's "clipping"?

10 minutes ago, USA 007 said:

I think it's when you hit the rev limiter...

I that like Ludicrous mode, or whatever Lewis calls it??  I don't recall at the moment.....

And that might explain his chewing through engines so fast.

3 hours ago, Liquid said:

What's "clipping"?

Its when the hybrid system decides to start charging the batteries when the driver is still hunting for power. 

On slower tracks with lots of corners there are plenty of chances to charge. On this track with 3 DRS zones and a lot of high speed corners they don't have as many options with the curve sequence at the end of the first straight probably being the only regular charging opportunity other than the two big hairpins and there is a good chance you're going to be defending/attacking through that area as cars will enter the straight at different speeds and on different lines because of the banking of the last corner then the back one will get DRS.

• Like 1

F1 teams have some of the world most advanced simulators so a lot of the issues mentioned can be ironed out before they hit the track. The one potential issue they may have which cannot be ironed out in the sim is the new unused tarmac which could be like an ice rink, anyone remember what happened in Turkey 2020 after it was resurfaced? :D

Gasly is the only one so far to have mentioned this https://www.planetf1.com/news/pierre-gasly-slippery-jeddah-surface/

1 hour ago, Metoxi said:

F1 teams have some of the world most advanced simulators so a lot of the issues mentioned can be ironed out before they hit the track. The one potential issue they may have which cannot be ironed out in the sim is the new unused tarmac which could be like an ice rink, anyone remember what happened in Turkey 2020 after it was resurfaced? :D

Gasly is the only one so far to have mentioned this https://www.planetf1.com/news/pierre-gasly-slippery-jeddah-surface/

At least they can be confident it won't rain..

They'll definitely have mapped out their expected charging cycle on the sims but I'd expect multiple programs to be tried in practice.  Its not uncommon to here Max in particular complaining about clipping on the faster tracks.

2 hours ago, Metoxi said:

IIRC, new tarmac was a challenge in one of the last few races, but don't recall which one?  

5 hours ago, Metoxi said:

Ok…I don’t think F1 should be in SA…

It looks like Monaco walls at insane speeds, difficult to overtake, at least one red flag and an unusual podium. 
I just hope no one gets hurt.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:52 PM, ro! said:

Ok…I don’t think F1 should be in SA…

It looks like Monaco walls at insane speeds, difficult to overtake, at least one red flag and an unusual podium. 
I just hope no one gets hurt.

What's wrong with having F1 in GA?

Monaco has always been difficult to overtake.  One of the more boring tracks, IHMO...

EDIT.. I don't recall the Saudi track as far as passing lanes?

Monaco has always been difficult to overtake.  One of the more boring tracks, IHMO...

in this case Billy , SA == Saudi Arabia 

I don’t think F1 should be in Saudi Arabia…

You have to have been to Monaco to understand how difficult it is to drive there…drivers love it..tv viewers tend to hate it.

The SA track is so fast but sketchy, I’m sure the really brave drivers like it but you could hear the commentators waiting for a big one before CL backed it in…

7 minutes ago, Liquid said:

The track looks like all chicanes with only 2 turns....

Those aren’t chicanes dude,,,they are 5th,6th and 7th gear corners with zero runoff ..