Race 2 Alaska Put on Ice another 12 Months!

1 hour ago, D Wayne G said:

Course looks like around 250 Nm.

So the race name is wrong by more than 100 miles?  But your average speed to finish estimate is accurate either way.

"WA360
360 miles of engineless, unsupported boat racing circling Puget and Washington Sound"

Two weeks (14 * 24) is 336 hours.  250 Nm. / 336 hours = 0.75 knots., 360 Nm. / 336 hours = 1.07 knots.

I measure ~96 statute miles (84 Nm.) from P.T. to Olympia (168 Nm. round trip) plus ~95 Nm. round trip from P.T. to Point Roberts: ~263 Nm. total?
So yeah, the race name is off by ~97 Nm.???

P.S.  Fast boats could finish in two days or less!

4 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

So the race name is wrong by more than 100 miles?  But your average speed to finish estimate is accurate either way.

"WA360
360 miles of engineless, unsupported boat racing circling Puget and Washington Sound"

Two weeks (14 * 24) is 336 hours.  250 Nm. / 336 hours = 0.75 knots., 360 Nm. / 336 hours = 1.07 knots.

I measure ~96 statute miles (84 Nm.) from P.T. to Olympia (168 Nm. round trip) plus ~95 Nm. round trip from P.T. to Point Roberts: ~263 Nm. total?
So yeah, the race name is off by ~97 Nm.???

I measure 361 miles for the route described Port Townsend - Port Ludlow - Olympia - Tacoma - Seattle - Oak Harbor - Anacortes - Bellingham - Point Roberts - Port Townsend

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, KC375 said:

I measure 361 miles for the route described Port Townsend - Port Ludlow - Olympia - Tacoma - Seattle - Oak Harbor - Anacortes - Bellingham - Point Roberts - Port Townsend

There is a thread for the WA 360.

i just measure 301nm with Navionics.  How do you get 361?  Which side of Bainbridge and Vashon did you go?  I went shortest Route.

25 minutes ago, Roleur said:

There is a thread for the WA 360.

i just measure 301nm with Navionics.  How do you get 361?  Which side of Bainbridge and Vashon did you go?  I went shortest Route.

1. Zero claim to navigational skill or local knowledge, just hacking away with Google maps.

2. East of Bainbridge and west of Vashon south bound and east of Vashon north bound

8 hours ago, KC375 said:

I guess it comes down to how close one has to be to "wave to towns in this order" (the course marks)?  This bit of cavalier guidance doesn't make that clear at all:

Rules? Rules are for cowards and accountants. Let us know your safe word, but other than that, let’s keep it simple.
THE ROUTE
Start by running south into Puget Sound til you can go no further, turn around and do the same to Point Roberts, then come back home. You’ll hopefully wave to towns in this order:

Port Townsend - Port Ludlow - Olympia - Tacoma - Seattle - Oak Harbor - Anacortes - Bellingham - Point Roberts - Port Townsend

How close to Port Ludlow?

Is it legit to wave at Tacoma from the west side (the Tacoma Narrows Bridge)?  Or is it required to round Point Defiance and sail SE into Commencement Bay?  How far in?

Is it required to approach Oak Harbor from the east (SE)?  How close?  Where is the Anacortes mark?  How close to Bellingham?

Rules, like fences, are intended to avoid disputes.

14 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

Well.  That would be true, except.  You’ve got some very significant tide gates. (Tacoma Narrows, twice). Deception Pass/ Swinomish Slough and a distinct lack of wind for that time of year.  ‘Sea breezes’ are non-existent for practically the whole length of the course.  I did this route between Anacortes and Olympia 2 years ago—and over 2 weeks only sailed for maybe 8 hours.  The rest was glass calm for days/

2 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

I guess it comes down to how close one has to be to "wave to towns in this order" (the course marks)?  This bit of cavalier guidance doesn't make that clear at all:

How close to Port Ludlow?

Is it legit to wave at Tacoma from the west side (the Tacoma Narrows Bridge)?  Or is it required to round Point Defiance and sail SE into Commencement Bay?  How far in?

Is it required to approach Oak Harbor from the east (SE)?  How close?  Where is the Anacortes mark?  How close to Bellingham?

Rules, like fences, are intended to avoid disputes.

Do you view this a bit of a lark? Is it an excuse to spend some time out on the water? If so then go for it.

Do you view yourself as a sporting person competing against others. Then give it a miss as the “rules” are sufficiently vague that you might find it hard to be a good sport (to paraphrase Elvstrom, winning the respect of your fellow competitors) and win the event.

If you want to win then close enough to wave would at least 3 miles (6 footer's viewing distance to horizon) or longer as you might choose the highest point in each reference location.

In fact if you really want to “win” you might take the view that “hopefully wave to towns” is a desired or suggested but not a required path. Taking this view (and hacking away at google map to avoid land) going from Port Townsend pier to 5th ave Bridge in Olympia, up to the most southern point of Point Roberts and back to the most northern point of Port Townsend gives me a bit over 300 miles (going east of Orcas and then west returning for variety).

Going close enough to the named towns to “shake hands” with them gives me 361...approximating to the named 360 that I believe this is the actual intent. So a good sport might sail 25% further than one fixated on “winning”...

Do it for the fun, not for the competition.

The marks seem to be Olympia and Point Roberts. I would imagine that there will be actual marks to round at both points and maybe inside the Ludlow buoy as well, so even if we don't know which actual marks, the course is pretty well defined.

4 hours ago, KC375 said:

Do you view this a bit of a lark? Is it an excuse to spend some time out on the water? If so then go for it.

Do you view yourself as a sporting person competing against others. Then give it a miss as the “rules” are sufficiently vague that you might find it hard to be a good sport (to paraphrase Elvstrom, winning the respect of your fellow competitors) and win the event.

If you want to win then close enough to wave would at least 3 miles (6 footer's viewing distance to horizon) or longer as you might choose the highest point in each reference location.

In fact if you really want to “win” you might take the view that “hopefully wave to towns” is a desired or suggested but not a required path. Taking this view (and hacking away at google map to avoid land) going from Port Townsend pier to 5th ave Bridge in Olympia, up to the most southern point of Point Roberts and back to the most northern point of Port Townsend gives me a bit over 300 miles (going east of Orcas and then west returning for variety).

Going close enough to the named towns to “shake hands” with them gives me 361...approximating to the named 360 that I believe this is the actual intent. So a good sport might sail 25% further than one fixated on “winning”...

Do it for the fun, not for the competition.

When I did R2AK I thought the Northwest Maritime Center did an exceptionally good job as race organizer.  I fully expect they'll do the same here.  I think they're just being a bit irreverent with the announcement and that when registration opens they'll have a full race packet that explains the course in unambiguous detail.  Only question for me is whether rowing or pedaling a sailboat for most of 360 miles sounds fun or not.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

When I did R2AK I thought the Northwest Maritime Center did an exceptionally good job as race organizer.  I fully expect they'll do the same here.  I think they're just being a bit irreverent with the announcement and that when registration opens they'll have a full race packet that explains the course in unambiguous detail.  Only question for me is whether rowing or pedaling a sailboat for most of 360 miles sounds fun or not.

Fair enough.

Maybe this is a race where the boat should be optimized for human power with sail the auxiliary source of motive power.

I think it could be a lot of fun.

54 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

1 minute ago, KC375 said:

Fair enough.

Maybe this is a race where the boat should be optimized for human power with sail the auxiliary source of motive power.

I think it could be a lot of fun.

400lbs, 40ft stick, Morrelli /Melvin turbo charged C Class 25 would be a weapon, just not sure of the level of fun. 

I did offer my 40ft tri to Katy and the girls team, as I think this race might be fun just to watch 

52024193_2527261277315896_9039211656042774528_n.jpg.a2b9da84fa22afa1bdb83c31267bec20.jpg