Maritime Art Anarchy

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tried to do an impressionist version of a photo I liked on the internet.  I enjoy messing about with paints.  

I painted an image from the 1987 America's Cup.  I named this piece "Connor Covered".  It's based on a popular photo at the time.

French Toast Girl.     

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, PaulK said:
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

port iccp eng rm anode.PNG

After seeing how they weld stuff at Bath Iron Works, have to ask... which way is up? 

I like that angled 4-bolt flange

Couldn't tell you to the nearest hundred how many of those I've made up and re-made when somebody else doesn't understand cross-tightening (not with that sexy angle, though... never seen one like that)

FB- Doug

16 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I like that angled 4-bolt flange

Couldn't tell you to the nearest hundred how many of those I've made up and re-made when somebody else doesn't understand cross-tightening (not with that sexy angle, though... never seen one like that)

FB- Doug

The title if this piece:

"The Struggle is Real"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

This is a thread for posting any of your artwork related to sailing.

this thread is also for critiquing the artwork displayed, for the information of the artist

I'll start off with my artwork https://fineart.castellcreative.com/gallery/maritime

8Fvhep07NEOl3Y0EjHNwrLliQD5MZ2UzTa9o8razw8UJoeo0BRjTttPrjcJl_WWMQVXpHTZAkcjgBMeKIFjIYOBnswimD1u5A9JDxo-FxA89AYMd_-4=w1280Q8xqC_iLcEGWKWRV8cgNi-eG53x_KYTEbzZBMGmbVi9RL47gOaZhzw6i2iyL2oP_3J6DRZaRbQRPvvie5WXwyHSKn5ZS894dgwfPhkrkfY7yxNBvqpgZ=w1280

well, if you want critique, apart of course from the obligatory "buy an ad you fuckwad" one has to admit that this two line  alphanumerical cryptopainting does have some merits, of course it's obvious this not the ultimate work in this genre and certainly not of this painter (as the old monk told to the nun : plus est en vous, plus est en vous !!!),  far better examples have been shown by some real peers onhere, but yes, there is something in it, most notably that in this whole combination there is not one real direct relationship or reference to anything maritime, but the mere fact that the artist responsible for this small masterpiece just mentions the term "maritime" in his most worthy and elucidating explanification and suddenly the otherwise bland and meaningless combination of digits, letters and punctuation marks are seen through a totally different pair of alcohol troubled eyes and maritime  views, dreams and other seaside chimera's or even the odd naughtical oceanwide fata morgana paint themselves on the same alcohol addled brains, or whatever was left, this sir, this is a slight touch of genius, keep up the good works and stop sniffing that paint thinner.

hope the critique is not too harsh, it's inspired by the late Jan Hoet, probably unknown to all but used to be known as "the pope of euro art"certainly when it came down to his explanations why he would like (or not) the most outrageously weird and wonky artists ... who then became really known and $xpensive

1 hour ago, Albatros said:
5 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

this thread is also for critiquing the artwork displayed, for the information of the artist

I'll start off with my artwork https://fineart.castellcreative.com/gallery/maritime

8Fvhep07NEOl3Y0EjHNwrLliQD5MZ2UzTa9o8razw8UJoeo0BRjTttPrjcJl_WWMQVXpHTZAkcjgBMeKIFjIYOBnswimD1u5A9JDxo-FxA89AYMd_-4=w1280Q8xqC_iLcEGWKWRV8cgNi-eG53x_KYTEbzZBMGmbVi9RL47gOaZhzw6i2iyL2oP_3J6DRZaRbQRPvvie5WXwyHSKn5ZS894dgwfPhkrkfY7yxNBvqpgZ=w1280

well, if you want critique, apart of course from the obligatory "buy an ad you fuckwad" one has to admit that this two line  alphanumerical cryptopainting does have some merits, of course it's obvious this not the ultimate work in this genre and certainly not of this painter (as the old monk told to the nun : plus est en vous, plus est en vous !!!),  far better examples have been shown by some real peers onhere, but yes, there is something in it, most notably that in this whole combination there is not one real direct relationship or reference to anything maritime, but the mere fact that the artist responsible for this small masterpiece just mentions the term "maritime" in his most worthy and elucidating explanification and suddenly the otherwise bland and meaningless combination of digits, letters and punctuation marks are seen through a totally different pair of alcohol troubled eyes and maritime  views, dreams and other seaside chimera's or even the odd naughtical oceanwide fata morgana paint themselves on the same alcohol addled brains, or whatever was left, this sir, this is a slight touch of genius, keep up the good works and stop sniffing that paint thinner.

hope the critique is not too harsh, it's inspired by the late Jan Hoet, probably unknown to all but used to be known as "the pope of euro art"certainly when it came down to his explanations why he would like (or not) the most outrageously weird and wonky artists ... who then became really known and $xpensive

It's post-modern deconstructualism. Or something.

How about this one?

bmwcm-5.0_fid-880603_fwcm-1.5_ihcm-38.6_

Why is this worth considering? For one, this painting "The Fighting Temeraire" by JWM Turner sold for  $47.5M and for another Turner was considered one of the greatest artists of his age (and one of the rare great painters that was financially successful in his life time) and this painting drew large emotional crowds when it was newly finished and publicly displayed.

I think that young Admiral Hornblower has some very good talent, but he is young and still learning, improving, still being formed. I like his work and want to encourage him

FB- Doug

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

There are some Turners doen the street. Head-turners, they are.

http://interactive.britishart.yale.edu/art-in-focus-wales/138/joseph-mallord-william-turner

I didn't like Turner when I was young; thank goodness for changing tastes. Some good stuff here

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/212351-jmw-turner-exhibit-mystic-seaport-museum/&tab=comments#comment-6842240

But on to other maritime art & artists- I've always liked Montague Dawson, Breugel, Thomas Hart Benton, Claus Bergen

100700076.jpg

but then every great artist has painted boats and/or ships at some point in his career (except apparently for Marc Chagall and Goya) and they're all worth at least taking a brief look at, the internet makes it so easy.

Considering how pictures can evoke emotion, Gustav Dore's illustrations of "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" will give a sailor nightmares

http://book-graphics.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-rime-of-ancient-mariner-ill-gustave.html

I know I'm posting this late in the day but don't look at these just before bed time.

Is it ART?

FB- Doug

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sidmon said:

This thread needs a little Winslow...

This was on the wall of my room as a kid. A little over a year ago I rounded a corner in the Smithsonian and there it was - a real day-brightener to see

Winslow Homer - Breezing Up (A Fair Wind) - Google Art Project.jpg

• Like 7

I had a copy of Hopper's The Sailboat in my room as a kid. 

s-l1600.jpg

I took it as an admonition to never screw up my navigation. I always interpret the caption as, "oh shiiiit". 

On my boat, I want a pastoral scene. Some guy running a plow or something where they don't know what an oar is. Because when it's cold and blowing hard and I'm seasick wishing I was miles away from where I am currently, I sure as hell don't want to be looking at some a-hole having a nice sunny day sail. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Elegua said:

I had a copy of Hopper's The Sailboat in my room as a kid. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Edward_Hopper%2C_Ground_Swell%2C_1939%2C_NGA_131206.jpg

I took it as an admonition to never screw up my navigation. I always interpret the caption as, "oh shiiiit". 

On my boat, I want a pastoral scene. Some guy running a plow or something where they don't know what an oar is. Because when it's cold and blowing hard and I'm seasick wishing I was miles away from where I am currently, I sure as hell don't want to be looking at some a-hole having a nice sunny day sail. 

We had that Hopper on the kitchen wall when the kids were little. It is wonderfully timeless.It could just as easily be this year out on a Marshall Cat anywhere from City Island to Provincetown. Even the clothing is timeless.

9 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

We had that Hopper on the kitchen wall when the kids were little. It is wonderfully timeless.It could just as easily be this year out on a Marshall Cat anywhere from City Island to Provincetown. Even the clothing is timeless.

Totally - that's how Hipsters dress when they go sailing. But I have to say it always creeped me out. The washed out colors, the attentive looks at the buoy, the body language of the helmsman -  somebody just put their beer down and went, "That's not right". 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Totally - that's how Hipsters dress when they go sailing. But I have to say it always creeped me out. The washed out colors, the attentive looks at the buoy, the body language of the helmsman -  somebody just put their beer down and went, "That's not right". 

The helmsman! YES! That is always the big draw, "what is going on?"

52 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

This was on the wall of my room as a kid. A little over a year ago I rounded a corner in the Smithsonian and there it was - a real day-brightener to see

We had a big print of this somewhere in our house when I was growing up. I thought the boy laying across the fore deck was tied up, for some reason, until much later in life when I saw a clearer reprint and had a chance to look at it closer to eye-level

Also, the sprit appears to be a metal rod... small WTF? But this is a great painting to see how a flat, two-dimensional assemblage of colored blobs can suggest motion and excitement.

6 minutes ago, fastyacht said:
10 minutes ago, Elegua said:

Totally - that's how Hipsters dress when they go sailing. But I have to say it (Edward Hopper's painting) always creeped me out. The washed out colors, the attentive looks at the buoy, the body language of the helmsman -  somebody just put their beer down and went, "That's not right". 

The helmsman! YES! That is always the big draw, "what is going on?"

I spent years not like Hopper, either. But while still don't really like a lot of his work, I realize that he is a very good/great painter. Capturing the body language of the helmsman & crew for example.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Have a copy of this to the shitter. Reminds me oh happier times.

Let us not forget the failed minister, Vincent Van Gogh

image.png.f69aa4b22e545342aaccf786d6b5ef79.png

Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries, June 1888, Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam, Netherlands

One of his weaker paintings IMHO but he did not work with preliminary drafts and sketches etc etc; so maybe that is the lesson here?

Then there's this one, which I find delightful... Renoir was one of my early favorites and still one

800px-Pierre-Auguste_Renoir_121.jpg

and he has many many sailing/boating pictures to choose from. By the way, Renoir is one of those painters whose prints are enjoyable but if you get the chance to see one of his originals, the way he used the shape & texture of the paint itself makes the art take on the aspect of a living thing. How the hell did he -do- that? Van Gogh originals are also considerably more dynamic than his prints, however fabulous his prints may look.

This is a great thread; thanks especially to those of you with knowledge/access to art the public never sees!

FB- Doug

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Let us not forget the failed minister, Vincent Van Gogh

image.png.f69aa4b22e545342aaccf786d6b5ef79.png

Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries, June 1888, Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam, Netherlands

One of his weaker paintings IMHO but he did not work with preliminary drafts and sketches etc etc; so maybe that is the lesson here?

Then there's this one, which I find delightful... Renoir was one of my early favorites and still one

800px-Pierre-Auguste_Renoir_121.jpg

and he has many many sailing/boating pictures to choose from. By the way, Renoir is one of those painters whose prints are enjoyable but if you get the chance to see one of his originals, the way he used the shape & texture of the paint itself makes the art take on the aspect of a living thing. How the hell did he -do- that? Van Gogh originals are also considerably more dynamic than his prints, however fabulous his prints may look.

This is a great thread; thanks especially to those of you with knowledge/access to art the public never sees!

FB- Doug

Yale. Met. Phila. (I get confused which I see where.) They have some originals. Know exactly what you mean about the paint up close.

The studio boat house of Monet. Renoir rather find himself at the boathouse. When you get to Paris - have lunch at the boathouse which is still operating with 3 hour lunches. :wub:

the-studio-boat.jpg

the-canoeist-s-luncheon-1880.jpg!HalfHD.

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Israel Hands said:

It's interesting how with some of the great paintings, there are also studies by the artist and sometimes multiple renditions.

Can it ever be done?  I find new ways of seeing and creating with new techniques and rushed hands. I have a current deviant mixed art streak going. Working on French toast girl for you all. On the right she took form.

E034E58E-E074-488D-850E-70EE13604A1F.jpeg

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Can it ever be done?  I find new ways of seeing and creating with new techniques and rushed hands. I have a current deviant mixed art streak going. Working on French toast girl for you all. On the right she took form.

E034E58E-E074-488D-850E-70EE13604A1F.jpeg

Yowzah!

FB- Doug

In the very early days of photography, WR MacAskill took his very large and cumbersome camera aboard Bluenose.  This picture is called "Starboard Lookout".  I like it because, there he, is the starboard lookout, doing his job.  He can't see four feet in front of him but that doesn't matter.  He is there, looking out.  

image.jpeg.2dbef215936b3e6a9e2708970e0d9f7a.jpeg

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

you underestimate your work and value. Quite nice.

I picked this up in France and have it hanging in the living room. 

DP818240.jpg

I can see how trimming the sails like that might help to keep flow attached.  Might also help to keep the flax from stretching so much. Or maybe it has stretched, and that's why they look like that. 

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Was he the house artist for C&C or something?

Doubtful. He would’ve done well enough with his artwork to afford one of these though. A signed series print like this would fetch a pretty penny. I think I saw this boat for sale out in N.S. which is where he’s from. Who knows? Maybe it belongs to him or a friend. I’ll say this though, he sure has an eye for great lines.

17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Was he the house artist for C&C or something?

Kinda.

The panache of Cuthbertson-designed sailboats attracted sailors both professional and recreational at home and around the world. Berlin Philharmonic conductor Herbert von Karajan ordered a custom C&C 61 and raced Helisara in Mediterranean regattas in the 1970s. The Newfoundland artist Christopher Pratt owned several C&C watercraft over the years. He used wind and canvas to sail sloops such as Lynx, Proud Mary, Dry Fly, Greyling and Dora Maar into the coves and bays he would later render onto stationary canvas.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/designer-george-cuthbertson-crafted-sleek-speedysailboats/article36680910/

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, fufkin said:

Doubtful. He would’ve done well enough with his artwork to afford one of these though. A signed series print like this would fetch a pretty penny. I think I saw this boat for sale out in N.S. which is where he’s from. Who knows? Maybe it belongs to him or a friend. I’ll say this though, he sure has an eye for great lines.

Artwork by Christopher Pratt, NUDE WITH COLOURED PILLOWS, Made of graphite & pastel

Yes he does!

• Like 1