All things FINN

Couldn't find the appropriate place for these so started a thread.  A  cool stamp collection gift from my father in law this year.  I'm a long time Finn admirer and aspirer to sail one some day.  Thought some of you would appreciate these and might even know some background...Finn_star_pic.thumb.JPG.453cefa9aebed4105d7dbc3e7db30d70.JPG

Finn pic 1.JPG

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Couldn't find the appropriate place for these so started a thread.  A  cool stamp collection gift from my father in law this year.  I'm a long time Finn admirer and aspirer to sail one some day.  Thought some of you would appreciate these and might even know some background...Finn_star_pic.thumb.JPG.453cefa9aebed4105d7dbc3e7db30d70.JPG

Finn pic 1.JPG

Games of the XXII Olympiad  - 1980 Moscow. The sailing was at Tallinn in Estonia.

66 countries including USA and UK boycotted the games because the Soviet Union had invaded Afghanistan.

Esko Rechardt of Finland took the gold medal in the Finn. My friend David Wilkins won silver in the Flying Dutchman sailing for Ireland.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

Finn pic 1.JPG

Those are very cool...great piece of history.

Want to buy my Finn?  '91 Vanguard.  It has the aluminum mast and I just bought a used modern North sail.  I was going to bring it to Charleston, SC in the Spring to sell to my brother but he is thinking about a different boat now.  Good entry level Finn.  I bought all new lines, deck cover, that sail, and various other hardware for it.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Finn pic 1.JPG

Very cool bit of finn history. Thanks for sharing. You are welcome to come down to L.A. ( lower alabama ) to sail finns anytime you want. Our fleet is now 14 boats and growing and we have some nice loaners available. We hosted the nationals a couple of months ago with people from as far as oregon, michigan, missouri and new hampshire attending. The finn is the perfect social distancing boat. We have weekly practice sessions. In fact, today's forecast is awesome with 70 + air temp and 12-15 kt forecast. I'm stoked. Put a new guy in a boat last week. Come on down !! 

• Like 6
On 12/30/2020 at 10:11 AM, surf nazi said:

Very cool bit of finn history. Thanks for sharing. You are welcome to come down to L.A. ( lower alabama ) to sail finns anytime you want. Our fleet is now 14 boats and growing and we have some nice loaners available. We hosted the nationals a couple of months ago with people from as far as oregon, michigan, missouri and new hampshire attending. The finn is the perfect social distancing boat. We have weekly practice sessions. In fact, today's forecast is awesome with 70 + air temp and 12-15 kt forecast. I'm stoked. Put a new guy in a boat last week. Come on down !! 

A buddy of mine here in Charleston and  have been talking about this.  Is there a schedule you guys have over the winter?  Maybe we could plan a weekend to come down.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, RobbieB said:

A buddy of mine here in Charleston and  have been talking about this.  Is there a schedule you guys have over the winter?  Maybe we could plan a weekend to come down.

The Miami dudes are doing something nearly every other weekend through June and could probably set up loaner boats for you, Surf Nazi and the guys at Buc go out all the time as well and can do the same.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:52 PM, RobbieB said:

we are finalizing official racing calendar now but we sail every weekend. Just message me when you want to come down and we'll schedule it.   

Anyone here coming to the Masters in Medemblik? Really hope it happens, and Corona doesn’t get in the way like last year. 2018 in Spain with 350 boats was a blast, already 150 sailors  on the entry list!

22 hours ago, surf nazi said:

we are finalizing official racing calendar now but we sail every weekend. Just message me when you want to come down and we'll schedule it.   

Thanks.  We're kicking off our laser "frostbiting" here this weekend and I'll check in with Jason.  We'll check our calendars and get back to you.

18 hours ago, GER308 said:

Anyone here coming to the Masters in Medemblik? Really hope it happens, and Corona doesn’t get in the way like last year. 2018 in Spain with 350 boats was a blast, already 150 sailors  on the entry list!

Wish I could. I did the 2019 in copenhagen and it was a blast. I think we had around 250 boats with 125 on each starting line. How many fleets was the 350 divided into ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

Wish I could. I did the 2019 in copenhagen and it was a blast. I think we had around 250 boats with 125 on each starting line. How many fleets was the 350 divided into ? 

Was sorry to miss Copenhagen. We had 2 courses and 2 start groups per course.   
Everyone was assigned a different course and start each day and we had colored streamers to tie on the head of your sail.
I have been to the Masters in 2008 Medemblik NL, 2014 in Sopot Poland, and 2018 in El Balis Spain. Love it and feel lucky to now live in Germany where it is easy to get to a lot of fun regattas all over on a small budget.