2 hours ago, Ishmael said:
3 hours ago, Ajax said:

I said I'd post a photo of a boat that went walkabout. Any idea what it is?

20210102_111533.jpg

Currently, it's a powerboat.

Currently it's a hazard to navigation.

11 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

depending on the size, it could also be a Farr 37 which is very similar to the 33 and there are a few on the bay. 

No, it's right on the size of my boat. I don't think it's a  Dash. The stern is closer to the Farr.

Just now, Ajax said:

No, it's right on the size of my boat. I don't think it's a  Dash. The stern is closer to the Farr.

It would be odd to see a Dash in your neighbourhood. Is it ripe for salvage?

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

It would be odd to see a Dash in your neighbourhood. Is it ripe for salvage?

Oh Christ,  I don't have time for another boat. 

7 minutes ago, Ajax said:

No, you don’t have to fix it up, just sell it. Very profitable. 

13 minutes ago, Ajax said:

You could make a catamaran.  Then it's still one boat.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That's going to be tricky when the hulls want to go different speeds.

Doesn't stop proas.

• Like 1

Suppose Ajax salvages this boat, finds its all intact apart from some mud statins and and  the missing rig, and passes it on to someone else. 

How much buy a brand new rig?  $10k? $20k?

8 minutes ago, Ajax said:

@slap , it's right on your doorstep.  We should salvage it and race it on Wednesday nights. 

My doorstep?  I figured it was an escapee from Holiday Hill Marina, so it would be near your dock.

Blue Water Marina cleared out all of the non paying zombies this fall.

11 minutes ago, slap said:

My doorstep?  I figured it was an escapee from Holiday Hill Marina, so it would be near your dock.

Blue Water Marina cleared out all of the non paying zombies this fall.

It's over in that half moon bay across from Cadle Creek. Your marina is/ was for sale.  Do you know if it sold?

2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

It's over in that half moon bay across from Cadle Creek. Your marina is/ was for sale.  Do you know if it sold?

It's sold - that's why they purged out the non paying zombies.   The land includes one or two small houses  -  the new owners want to turn one of them into a bed and breakfast / cafe.   The marina itself isn't a big moneymaker - I just hope they don't make too many changes to it or raise the rates significantly.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Ajax said:

I agree that it looks closer to the Farr vs the Dash... and if there is a chance it is a bit bigger, there is a Farr 37 named Stylo that hails out of Edgewater from the ChesBay PHRF valid list. 

I think crash and slick are right.. Farr windows of that 80's vintage in the cabin for sure, but I am gonna side with crash on the length..I didn't know there was a Farr33, but that looks about right...not big enough to be a Farr 37. 

• Like 2

Farr 33s were built (12 I think?) in Annapolis (well Arnold, really) by Annapolis Custom Yachts.  There are more of them on the bay then one might realize.  One way to tell difference between Farr 37 and 33, is that the fixed ports on the cabin of the 33 actually have 2 supports (looks like 3 ports from down below) that you can see if you zoom into the picture.  The Dickerson built Farr 37 only had 1 support (so looks like 2 from below)

14 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

Suppose Ajax salvages this boat, finds its all intact apart from some mud statins and and  the missing rig, and passes it on to someone else. 

Regarding the new rig, I've seen some very nicely crafted DIY rigs on Craig's List for a fraction of that. Some PT lumber and aluminum tubing is all you need, and a blue tarp, brown if you're a traditionalist.

For comparison, I have been quoted $18,000 for a new 62’ mast, double swept spreaders, standing and running rigging for my Catalina 42.

A new mast for a 33’ sloop should be around $12,000. 

The boat is the Farr 33 3 port model.

1 hour ago, Crash said:

Farr 33s were built (12 I think?) in Annapolis (well Arnold, really) by Annapolis Custom Yachts.  There are more of them on the bay then one might realize.  One way to tell difference between Farr 37 and 33, is that the fixed ports on the cabin of the 33 actually have 2 supports (looks like 3 ports from down below) that you can see if you zoom into the picture.  The Dickerson built Farr 37 only had 1 support (so looks like 2 from below)

It doesn't really matter, and you probably have a better history on these two boat designs than I do from my little bit of internet sleuthing. However, I found a few pictures of Farr 37s online with two supports. Maybe they changed at some point? Like this one on yachtworld https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/dickerson-farr-37-2261758/

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Regarding the new rig, I've seen some very nicely crafted DIY rigs on Craig's List for a fraction of that. Some PT lumber and aluminum tubing is all you need, and a blue tarp, brown if you're a traditionalist.

FIFY.

The silver & black tarps look good on racy boats - sort of makes you think carbon fiber. At least on one tack.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

It doesn't really matter, and you probably have a better history on these two boat designs than I do from my little bit of internet sleuthing. However, I found a few pictures of Farr 37s online with two supports. Maybe they changed at some point? Like this one on yachtworld https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/dickerson-farr-37-2261758/

OK, show's you what I know!:o  

All these thoughts have of course, entered my head. The reality is that I simply don't have the time and money to jump through the administrative hoops to salvage this thing, then dock it at my community dock and strip it or restore it. I'd have to insure this wreck just to be allowed to dock it at my place for salvage, in addition to a docking fee.

I barely have time to maintain my existing boat and enjoy sailing it. I'm trying to get out there, not be held hostage at the dock by a wreck no matter what its pedigree is.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

All these thoughts have of course, entered my head. The reality is that I simply don't have the time and money to jump through the administrative hoops to salvage this thing, then dock it at my community dock and strip it or restore it. I'd have to insure this wreck just to be allowed to dock it at my place for salvage, in addition to a docking fee.

I barely have time to maintain my existing boat and enjoy sailing it. I'm trying to get out there, not be held hostage at the dock by a wreck no matter what its pedigree is.

Just don’t let it follow you home. 

From the photo it looks like a very well kept boat.  I am sure the owner would want to get it back.  Do they know where it is?

26 minutes ago, bridhb said:

From the photo it looks like a very well kept boat.  I am sure the owner would want to get it back.  Do they know where it is?

Since the water cops are the ones who initially dragged it off and secured it to a temporary mooring buoy, you'd think they would have looked up the owner and attempted to communicate with them. I am a little baffled that someone would abandon a boat like this...but then again, they may be suffering some sort of hardship from covid such as health or financial distress. It's hard to say.

20 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

A new mast for a 33’ sloop should be around $12,000.

Sounds right. I put a basically new rig on a brand new B361 a few years ago - the owner left Charleston City Marina (under duress) where the boat had been commissioned, and thought he could make it under the James Island fixed bridge just a few hundred feet away to spend the night.
It was high tide. He didn't.
Reusing what we could - boom, furler parts, and spreaders, basically - the new rig cost him about $15K, shipped here from FL, IIRC.

A couple weeks after he left here (just ahead of the warrants arriving), some friends with a salvage operation in the Bahamas pulled him off the reef, where he'd wound up very high and very dry.
I'd let them know prior to expect him (and what to expect of him), and he didn't fail to show up in a manner I predicted. They were glad to have known what they were getting into, afterwards...

They took him to the yard there in Georgetown. Eventually - and not surprisingly - I found out that he was literally thrown off the dock and into the water by the yard owner. Last I heard of him, he'd managed to sink the boat somewhere in the Caribbean.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person...

• Like 1

My wife is a park ranger. She has a couple of friends with the water cops. I asked her to make some inquiries on my behalf to try to locate the owner.

What I'd prefer to do, is help the owner get their boat back. If the boat truly is abandoned but I can find out where it was originally slipped, it makes sense that the mast would be stored at that marina/yard. I do not believe the boat was dismasted as there is no loose rigging about. I think the mast was removed for storage or maintenance.

• Like 1

I have a “lightly unused”Charleston Spar mast if Ajax needs it for his new boat!

In other words, I bought a mast that didn’t fit my boat and I’m trying to unload it here...

...which came off of a new Sun Jenneau 42. The crane scraped the masthead and left a black streak so the owner had the marina replace it.

Not looking to really sell it here, just  figured I’d explain how I have the spar sitting around

11 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

...which came off of a new Sun Jenneau 42. The crane scraped the masthead and left a black streak so the owner had the marina replace it.

Not looking to really sell it here, just  figured I’d explain how I have the spar sitting around

Beer, if you get no takers, why not stick the mast on some beat-up 30-footer to supercharge it as a light-air flier?

It would be absurd, but a bundle of fun in those light-winded est coast summers

That’s a great idea! I probably have one of those laying around as well.

I wish you had said something before I bought a new rig for the Fareast28R this summer!!

• Like 1

Beer, my brother and I had fun one pre-teen summer doing that to dumpy old model boats.

New mast made of 1/4-inch plastic ducting pipe.  Three or four spreaders made from old bicycle spokes.  Stays from fishing line, including masses of perma-fixed runners.  Sails cut from old polycotton pillow cases, ultra-crudely with no sewing, including a genoa which started at about 200%.

We just snipped bit off the sails until the boat balanced, and then they became light air upwind fliers which we chased in canoes. If the wind got up to 2 or 3 knots, they'd be pressed down flat, but below that they more or less made their own wind.

A big version of that would be a hoot, if the elfin-safe-tea brigade didn't pounce and kill the fun

So, the plan is that Ajax moves the boat to his dock.   Then next summer on his way back from Maine he picks up the mast from Sail4beer and brings it home.

57498997.jpg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, slap said:

So, the plan is that Ajax moves the boat to his dock.   Then next summer on his way back from Maine he picks up the mast from Sail4beer and brings it home.

road trip.  let get a group together motor the derelict up to NJ,  rig the boat,  cobble together a patchwork quiver of sails and head to bermuda. 

'Ive got a 30 year old jib that's never been used.    what could go wrong...  we could so get stuck off shore around hatteras and call the coasties to come pick us up...

If the boat is floating around abandoned, one could ask around the local marinas to see if they have a matching mast and boom in a rack that could be had for unpaid storage fees. 

It was fun modding small boats we were young. We would destroy any boat we could get our hands on-it was ok because they were old and wooden.

As an adult, I’ve cut out soles, bulkheads, centerboard trunks and cabin tops from boats I bought to make them “special”. 

I need to get a life and just sail the damned things!

• Like 1

Anyone need a 3’x6’ foam core cockpit sole? I have one laying around now. I had to move it out so I could sail without resting my chin on my knees. The boat must have been built for wee little people.

998C5053-762F-4D40-B2A7-939D94364B80.jpeg

On 1/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, Ajax said:

... Any idea what it is?

I'm just a newb, but I'm pretty sure what it is, is aground.

(someone had to say it, and I'm a little disappointed that we had to get all the way down to here for it to be said. Sheesh.)

On 1/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, Sail4beer said:

There's bundles of masts sitting around here from hurricane boats. Most have some minor damage, some are all but pristine.

Of course, they're all from Catalina 30s and such, not racing boats, but for the low cost of "come get the damn thing outta my yard" it's the kind of gift horse one ought not look in the mouth.

- DSK

• 2 weeks later...

The vessel was recovered and seems to be back with its owner in Cadle Creek. The temporary mooring buoy that it broke free from has also been removed.

Thanks for asking, I meant to close the circle on this.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

The vessel was recovered and seems to be back with its owner in Cadle Creek. The temporary mooring buoy that it broke free from has also been removed.

Thanks for asking, I meant to close the circle on this.

Was it one of the boats that are moored to the left as you enter Cadle Creek?

On 1/2/2021 at 8:49 PM, TwoLegged said:

Screw a new rig.  Go a local marinas and find a sailboat they're about to chop up.  A marina local to me does 10 to 15 a year.  Will it be perfect?  No.  Will it work?  Yep.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, slap said:

Was it one of the boats that are moored to the left as you enter Cadle Creek?

I think so but I don't go up into Cadle Creek very often. Only when I haul out.