Took my first runs of the season yesterday, about 30 of them all on the same trail. Mild winter in Upper Michigan so far. 

On top of covid, the local hill is having a tough time with weather, new owners, new management, faulty equipment and a broken lift. 

For those of you with real snow and real mountains. Have a great season and be safe!

Whole family skied at Squaw Valley last Mon, Tues, and Weds. Excellent snow though not quite enough. Great time. I picked a good year to get the no block out Ikon pass. Walk up tickets for last week were 209 USD per day! Used up 7 of my 10 friends and family tickets but saved 350.00 on those. Add that to my three days and I already paid for my pass!

Soft cold snow allowed skiing all around Siberia bowl and headwall. Lots of good off piste lines. The groomed stuff was really good as well. 

COVID rules were:

Triple chairs - pods of up to three of course and singles only rode empty chairs.

Quads - Pods of up to four of course and then only two singles but only if they both agreed.

Six Person - Singles added to pods of three people or less but only rarely did we see the operators ask a three person pod to add a single.

Funicular - normally a 28 person gondola, now they removed the seats (folded up) and the limit is 7 or 8 but they ask. We rode up and they added a single who stood at the other end of the car from us and we all masked and the windows were open.

In general you wore the mask and distanced from when you got to the line until you caught the chair. Ski up to end of line, move goggles to the helmet, disconnect chin strap, pull up the mask and get in line. Catch chair, pull down mask, connect chin strap, put goggles back on. Most people could not wear the mask and goggles in line at the same time.

5 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Whole family skied at Squaw Valley last Mon, Tues, and Weds. Excellent snow though not quite enough. Great time. I picked a good year to get the no block out Ikon pass. Walk up tickets for last week were 209 USD per day! Used up 7 of my 10 friends and family tickets but saved 350.00 on those. Add that to my three days and I already paid for my pass!

Soft cold snow allowed skiing all around Siberia bowl and headwall. Lots of good off piste lines. The groomed stuff was really good as well. 

COVID rules were:

Triple chairs - pods of up to three of course and singles only rode empty chairs.

Quads - Pods of up to four of course and then only two singles but only if they both agreed.

Six Person - Singles added to pods of three people or less but only rarely did we see the operators ask a three person pod to add a single.

Funicular - normally a 28 person gondola, now they removed the seats (folded up) and the limit is 7 or 8 but they ask. We rode up and they added a single who stood at the other end of the car from us and we all masked and the windows were open.

In general you wore the mask and distanced from when you got to the line until you caught the chair. Ski up to end of line, move goggles to the helmet, disconnect chin strap, pull up the mask and get in line. Catch chair, pull down mask, connect chin strap, put goggles back on. Most people could not wear the mask and goggles in line at the same time.

No goggles due to fogging?

Bluebird conditions out here, not a cloud inthesky, no wind and low skier numbers. Just opened part of Spaulding and the new chair on tucker. Life is good.

We spent pre- Christmas thru New Years in Taos. Good top to bottom coverage, very, very few people. Really enjoyable stuff. Great turns in the steep trees. 

We came home and got lucky with Covid shots for me and the bride. Plan to do 4-5 days next weekend. We bought season passes again and hopefully will get to use them a lot. 

CMH cancelled our heli trips for this season, we reserved the same weeks next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was good. Today was great. The thing I like most is the quiet and solitude in the steeps and trees. So few people. 

27 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Yesterday was good. Today was great. The thing I like most is the quiet and solitude in the steeps and trees. So few people. 

Thats crazy dangerous shit, you could poke your eye out!

If I wasn't leaving for Ft Myers I'd be right there trying to follow you.

Taos has gotten another 2' since I left Sunday. Flange up some work and play at a blues jam tomorrow and I'm headed back Thursday. 

3 feet or more falling in Tahoe this week. Going up Friday for a few days. Going to need the VW Touareg with the snow tires on it. That thing rocks on snow covered roads.

As I write this my NPR radio feed got interrupted by an emergency warning for fire burn areas in Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. Flooding and debris flows.

18 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Taos has gotten another 2' since I left Sunday. Flange up some work and play at a blues jam tomorrow and I'm headed back Thursday. 

Things are getting better around here also. Just in time, I'm headed someplace warm and salty for two weeks.

• 1 month later...

Anybody else skiing? 

Been a bizzare snow season out here. Not much snow but what is on the ground has been subject to some weird weather creating a brittle snow pack. 11 backcountry avalanche deaths so far this year.

On a lighter note Sunday was wonderful, warmish and sunny, minimal crowds, smiles all around. 

haven't been out of my living room in MD much 

On 3/9/2021 at 5:39 AM, bmiller said:

Anybody else skiing? 

Been a bizzare snow season out here. Not much snow but what is on the ground has been subject to some weird weather creating a brittle snow pack. 11 backcountry avalanche deaths so far this year.

On a lighter note Sunday was wonderful, warmish and sunny, minimal crowds, smiles all around. 

Was planning to go up today but will wait now until tomorrow though tomorrow will be a powder day. Too much to do at work.

Bummer about the back country deaths. People need more education in general I guess.

From what I have seen on a powder day at Squaw this year, the improvement of equipment and the evolution of what used to be called "extreme" skiing has made the entire mountain even steep chutes and cliff jumps more the "norm" and they have to do control on the entire resort before opening lifts. By mid day with 12 inches of fresh the ENTIRE resort was already skied off. We had to put our skis in line at 0715 (8th chair on KT22) and even then we got two runs with clean lines to ski. After that is was slim pickings.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, bmiller said:

Anybody else skiing? 

You're getting quite good dump this weekend.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, redboat said:

You're getting quite good dump this weekend.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Models are all over the place, which is normal. Could get 2 feet, could get 2 inches, nobody really knows.

Here's my prediction, Denver news stations will be in a frenzy trying to out hype each other. Local officials will go overboard in an attempt to appear proactive.  There's a news video of some apartment manager warning residents about freezing pipes, even though temps will be very mild.

Idiots will be idiots regardless.

Thankfully up here in my area its a bit more measured of a response. 

Turns out it was 2 feet! Had to wait for the second week of March for a sensational day of skiing but it was worth the wait. Early spring break crowds but they were contained.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 5:44 AM, bmiller said:

Models are all over the place, which is normal. . 

• 3 weeks later...

It ain't over, not by a long shot. The last couple of big dumps extended a few resort seasons.

Yesterday and today are warm bluebird days with very few people. Of course you need to be selective and follow the softening snow. Also some south facing runs are getting shut down early in the day due to wet slide potential. 

Fricking awesome spring season on tap for the next few weeks.