Sign in to follow this  
SuddenlyBrown

Ski Season 20-21

Took my first runs of the season yesterday, about 30 of them all on the same trail. Mild winter in Upper Michigan so far. 

On top of covid, the local hill is having a tough time with weather, new owners, new management, faulty equipment and a broken lift. 

For those of you with real snow and real mountains. Have a great season and be safe!

Whole family skied at Squaw Valley last Mon, Tues, and Weds. Excellent snow though not quite enough. Great time. I picked a good year to get the no block out Ikon pass. Walk up tickets for last week were 209 USD per day! Used up 7 of my 10 friends and family tickets but saved 350.00 on those. Add that to my three days and I already paid for my pass!

Soft cold snow allowed skiing all around Siberia bowl and headwall. Lots of good off piste lines. The groomed stuff was really good as well. 

COVID rules were:

Triple chairs - pods of up to three of course and singles only rode empty chairs.

Quads - Pods of up to four of course and then only two singles but only if they both agreed.

Six Person - Singles added to pods of three people or less but only rarely did we see the operators ask a three person pod to add a single.

Funicular - normally a 28 person gondola, now they removed the seats (folded up) and the limit is 7 or 8 but they ask. We rode up and they added a single who stood at the other end of the car from us and we all masked and the windows were open.

In general you wore the mask and distanced from when you got to the line until you caught the chair. Ski up to end of line, move goggles to the helmet, disconnect chin strap, pull up the mask and get in line. Catch chair, pull down mask, connect chin strap, put goggles back on. Most people could not wear the mask and goggles in line at the same time.

Took my 16 y/o grandson today. Only chance I have of wearing him out is on snow.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Whole family skied at Squaw Valley last Mon, Tues, and Weds. Excellent snow though not quite enough. Great time. I picked a good year to get the no block out Ikon pass. Walk up tickets for last week were 209 USD per day! Used up 7 of my 10 friends and family tickets but saved 350.00 on those. Add that to my three days and I already paid for my pass!

Soft cold snow allowed skiing all around Siberia bowl and headwall. Lots of good off piste lines. The groomed stuff was really good as well. 

COVID rules were:

Triple chairs - pods of up to three of course and singles only rode empty chairs.

Quads - Pods of up to four of course and then only two singles but only if they both agreed.

Six Person - Singles added to pods of three people or less but only rarely did we see the operators ask a three person pod to add a single.

Funicular - normally a 28 person gondola, now they removed the seats (folded up) and the limit is 7 or 8 but they ask. We rode up and they added a single who stood at the other end of the car from us and we all masked and the windows were open.

In general you wore the mask and distanced from when you got to the line until you caught the chair. Ski up to end of line, move goggles to the helmet, disconnect chin strap, pull up the mask and get in line. Catch chair, pull down mask, connect chin strap, put goggles back on. Most people could not wear the mask and goggles in line at the same time.

No goggles due to fogging?

Bluebird conditions out here, not a cloud inthesky, no wind and low skier numbers. Just opened part of Spaulding and the new chair on tucker. Life is good.

We spent pre- Christmas thru New Years in Taos. Good top to bottom coverage, very, very few people. Really enjoyable stuff. Great turns in the steep trees. 

We came home and got lucky with Covid shots for me and the bride. Plan to do 4-5 days next weekend. We bought season passes again and hopefully will get to use them a lot. 

CMH cancelled our heli trips for this season, we reserved the same weeks next year. 

Yesterday was good. Today was great. The thing I like most is the quiet and solitude in the steeps and trees. So few people. 

27 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Yesterday was good. Today was great. The thing I like most is the quiet and solitude in the steeps and trees. So few people. 

Thats crazy dangerous shit, you could poke your eye out!

If I wasn't leaving for Ft Myers I'd be right there trying to follow you.

Taos has gotten another 2' since I left Sunday. Flange up some work and play at a blues jam tomorrow and I'm headed back Thursday. 

3 feet or more falling in Tahoe this week. Going up Friday for a few days. Going to need the VW Touareg with the snow tires on it. That thing rocks on snow covered roads.

As I write this my NPR radio feed got interrupted by an emergency warning for fire burn areas in Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. Flooding and debris flows.

18 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Taos has gotten another 2' since I left Sunday. Flange up some work and play at a blues jam tomorrow and I'm headed back Thursday. 

Things are getting better around here also. Just in time, I'm headed someplace warm and salty for two weeks.

We were up at Stowe this past weekend. It was uncomfortably cold at the top on a few occasions due to the wind, but conditions were quite good. There was even a bit of powder in places. Going back up in a week and a half.