Less strenuous back/hiking dinghy classes

Embraced the dark side several years ago and bought a 30+ year old Laser after sailing catamarans for decades. The good points: the Laser is fast and easy to rig and move than a catamaran to lug around.. Bad points: the damn things are so twitchy, heel so fast in any wind increase and downright savage in gusts unlike the leverage of an 8 foot wide multi. What other classes are there that are less strenuous to sail, less tender, more stable and kinder to an old farts aching back and lack of core strength?

We have the S box laser series at my club where the original intent was buy a $1000-1500 Shit box laser and social sail.Needless to say some upgraded with near new Lasers with the go fast bits, bells and whistles and as i can't beat em without being in agony I want to outpace them with a kinder more amenable dinghy.  What can you suggest?.   

After you stop laughing, take a good look at the Hobie Wave. I bad-mouthed these boats for decades and now I OWN ONE! They are extremely stable, require zero hiking and have surprising performance especially in a good breeze. Add to that, zero maintenance and ease of launching and you get a great little boat. Happy Sailing!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

After you stop laughing, take a good look at the Hobie Wave. I bad-mouthed these boats for decades and now I OWN ONE! They are extremely stable, require zero hiking and have surprising performance especially in a good breeze. Add to that, zero maintenance and ease of launching and you get a great little boat. Happy Sailing!

That's a great suggestion. I have had a lot of fun sailing Hobie Waves when on vacation at a certain Caribbean resort. If I ever get too old to sail an RS Aero (in a couple of decades maybe?) then I might consider a Wave.

Looks like you don't want to spend much

Dinghies need stability to work so if you can't do hanging over the side and you don't want some sort of multi/dinghy then that only leaves moving your weight out without hiking.

This means, seats, wings  all of which get complicated and expensive.

So my suggestion is to stick with your cheap Laser and add some short stubby wings so your bum is the same distance out from the centre as you would be if you were able to hike hard and then stick with the same central toe strap

If it was me I'd use some of the 3/4" ply I've got from my latest house buiding job, some ex 2x2" from the kitchen cabinet job, some best PVa to stick it all together and some lashings runing through holes drilled in the Laser's gunwale. I'm looking at about 4hrs work and some camping mat glued down over the whole thing and then rounding off all the edges.

You would keep the same boat so not much more expense and also be able to sail with other lasers so get the social experience and maybe have a personal handicap?

However you would be carrying extra weight so may not be that much faster, just have less pain and more fun. Also you would not overload the mast step.

Alternative to the 2.4: Challenger

We have a few at various local sailing clubs. Mix of able-bodied and not so able in the fleet, including an ex Finn sailor. 

May be further than you need to go at this point but perhaps a good long term bet, especially if you have a fleet nearby.  Easier to launch than a 2.4.

Cheers, 

W.

• Like 1

Some excellent ideas there. Looked at the Weta but they are really expensive and even secondhand still prohibitely priced. Contender is interesting but trapezing is out. we had a Hobie wave turn up at a recent social day and was surprised at how easy to rig, sail and depower they are ..Haven't seen a 2.4 in decades. they were a wet boat even on a lake and not favoured by our sailing area which builds a vicious current wind/tide choppy sea.  All food for thought ..Thank you all for your suggestions..