Been a bit breezy up that way lately,  Cat 1 cyclone was in the gulf yesterday before coming ashore at the bottom of the gulf.

So... if you fall off your boat in Australia, they send out a plane and drop you a liferaft for you to get into?  And then a boat comes out to pick you up and bring you in?  Great!!  And after that they track your boat and let you know where it is?  So you can go out and fall off again?  Sounds like job security for the SAR teams, for sure.  Glad they got this guy in any case. If they think those recovery conditions were rough, they're not the Australians we've come to know from the SYD/Hobart, but that's in SE Australia, not N.  Hope his boat is OK. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
14 hours ago, PaulK said:

So... if you fall off your boat in Australia, they send out a plane and drop you a liferaft for you to get into?  And then a boat comes out to pick you up and bring you in?  Great!!  And after that they track your boat and let you know where it is?  So you can go out and fall off again?  Sounds like job security for the SAR teams, for sure.  Glad they got this guy in any case. If they think those recovery conditions were rough, they're not the Australians we've come to know from the SYD/Hobart, but that's in SE Australia, not N.  Hope his boat is OK. 

What would you suppose? Let him drown, sink his boat, and charge the widow AUS$ 20,000? 

Good for them. That's why I have a PLB and keep it in my lifejacket which I wear, both when sailing solo and when kiting far from land. I'm hoping that if I am unlucky enough to go overboard or have my kiting gear fail I have a chance of rescue. I'm glad Paul will not be in the rescue service that might be asked to help me.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:36 AM, PaulK said:

We spent over $184,000,000 looking for MH370 wreckage & they were already dead. 

• Like 1