Post Office grinding to a halt

USPS rant number about a million!

My car registration took from Dec 20 to now to travel about 15 miles :angry: At least the po-po have been advised to let expired stickers slide, lots of them are in mail limbo.

I have a package from New Orleans that somehow went to New Hampshire on the way to Maryland and has been there about a week.

Gaithersburg to my house is maybe 45 miles. That package got to DC and has been sitting a week.

WTAF :huh: Maybe no room on the truck going to Fargo :rolleyes:

seems to me the USPS has been off it's game right around the time that crooked tRumpturd de joy put a stick in it's spokes, eh. seems worse now due to holiday backload/covid.

long live the USPS.

25 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

My car registration took from Dec 20 to now to travel about 15 miles :angry: At least the po-po have been advised to let expired stickers slide, lots of them are in mail limbo.

I have a package from New Orleans that somehow went to New Hampshire on the way to Maryland and has been there about a week.

Gaithersburg to my house is maybe 45 miles. That package got to DC and has been sitting a week.

Yep. Had a package from Charlotte take 12 days to get here, a business letter take 14 days from Dallas and last week my wife got a credit card bill on the 31st, the last day to pay before a late penalty. Fortunately, she knew it was due so went online on the 30th and paid it with a transfer payment. My bank has notified us that their bill pay service can’t guarantee mail delivery for creditors who don’t accept payments and recommended that we add 3-5 days to the lead times we have been using for 10 years and we have adjusted cash flow planning accordingly. 

5 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

Nothing to see here Donnies acting fuckwit has simply positioned the carcass in a place where the Capitalist vultures can pick it clean after Donnies departure.

And it is coincidentally making a lot of mail-in ballots late in Georgia.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

And it is coincidentally making a lot of mail-in ballots late in Georgia.

Well, at least that won't raise any thought provoking questions.   And if the Republicans win the runoff we'll know that there was no compelling case for targeted fraud.

After 4 years you begin to see the pattern, Donnie squeals the loudest about the very things he's doing,  that are illegal.

Probably a good thing we have at least one tape of him trying to influence elected officials in an election.

Oddly enough, I ordered some prescriptions from my pharmacy on-line on Sunday afternoon  the 27th (X-mas weekend) and the US Post Office delivered them Monday afternoon the 28th.

Could it be that you expected great mail performance during the busiest time of the year?  Nah.  Anecdotes do not make a good basis for policy.  

(And didn't "po-po" go out of linguistic fashion in about 1996?)

priority express took 13 days to travel 150 miles over the holidays, now it’s down to 10 days.     My local post office had 3000 packages after lunch when I stopped by last week, the postmaster said 1000 was normal.    Add the loss of sorting machines in an attempt to stop absentee voting, it’s bad.   I did forward some diabetic supplies to my neighbor in AZ overnight and he got them before noon,   It cost $50.    

An acquaintance has been trying to send me a first class letter for a  month.   The first time they mistakenly returned to sender.    Now it’s on day 14 and pending.   

20 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Oddly enough, I ordered some prescriptions from my pharmacy on-line on Sunday afternoon  the 27th (X-mas weekend) and the US Post Office delivered them Monday afternoon the 28th.

Could it be that you expected great mail performance during the busiest time of the year?  Nah.  Anecdotes do not make a good basis for policy.  

Correct.  Meanwhile, I've been ordering stuff from Amazon and getting them 3-4 days EARLIER than they said they would deliver.  Same from some online gun dealers.  Some bits and parts they say will take 5-7 business days have been arriving by UPS in 2.  So it's not like this stuff "can't" be done.  

Also correct.  It's now officially the Po-Leece.  

1 minute ago, Burning Man said:

Correct.  Meanwhile, I've been ordering stuff from Amazon and getting them 3-4 days EARLIER than they said they would deliver.  Same from some online gun dealers.  Some bits and parts they say will take 5-7 business days have been arriving by UPS in 2.  So it's not like this stuff "can't" be done.  

Also correct.  It's now officially the Po-Leece.  

As it has been since the 70's or perhaps right after people stopped calling them "The Heat", "Flatfeet",  "Bobbies"  or "Peelers".  

Let me add my anecdote.

I ordered some food items from a place in NJ.  Highly perishable.  Due at my house at noon. At 10pm the previous evening they were still in Philly. Showed up at my house at 11:15am.  Seller sent them overnight priority, or something like that.  

Just now, Left Shift said:

As it has been since the 70's or perhaps right after people stopped calling them "The Heat", "Flatfeet",  "Bobbies"  or "Peelers".  

The only Peelers I knew worked in strip clubs.

"The Law" is always in style.

"Pigs" don't fly in polite conversation.

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The only Peelers I knew worked in strip clubs.

"The Law" is always in style.

"Pigs" don't fly in polite conversation.

Sir Robert Peeler professionalized the London constabulary.  Thuse the source for both "Bobbies" and "Peelers"  Yeah, I know.  TMI.

Meanwhile the miserable, disgraceful Postmaster DeJoy is heading for the door.

1 minute ago, Left Shift said:

Sir Robert Peeler professionalized the London constabulary.  Thuse the source for both "Bobbies" and "Peelers"  Yeah, I know.  TMI.

Meanwhile the miserable, disgraceful Postmaster DeJoy is heading for the door.

He should be headed to the plank. Deliberately trashing a prime government agency is not something to be proud of.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

He should be headed to the plank. Deliberately trashing a prime government agency is not something to be proud of.

Interfering with the mail is big-time offense, or using mail in a crime. Used to be something they tacked on to mobsters charge sheets to make sure they spent an extra decade or two in the pen.

Might be difficult to PROVE he did it ON PURPOSE but I bet there are enough people with a grudge that they'll be able to pull in plenty of testimony.

- DSK

2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Great = taking 17 days to travel 15 miles? I think we can do better than 1.1 miles PER DAY.

Also totally disagree about policy. It is amazingly obvious to me at least the USPS couldn't get a letter from my house to my neighbor's house anymore. This is not an accident! I say boot every single freaking Trumper right on out of there and put people who know how to run the place back in charge.

26 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Great = taking 17 days to travel 15 miles? I think we can do better than 1.1 miles PER DAY.

Also totally disagree about policy. It is amazingly obvious to me at least the USPS couldn't get a letter from my house to my neighbor's house anymore. This is not an accident! I say boot every single freaking Trumper right on out of there and put people who know how to run the place back in charge.

That would be a start.

9 minutes ago, Metrognome said:

I'm still getting Christmas cards.

Poor you . . 

Did you get off your keister and protest the sabotage of the USPS ?? 

If not, I have little sympathy 

4 minutes ago, Metrognome said:

Who shit in your Cheerios this morning?

The delays in the mail were entirely predictable 

and deliberate. 

I guess you did not get the memo. 

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Poor you . . 

Did you get off your keister and protest the sabotage of the USPS ?? 

If not, I have little sympathy 

are you usually this rude to Newbies?

The correct response is to ask if they were being delivered by Ridgelines. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Meanwhile I got a package from Ireland in 4 days :rolleyes:

And my Books ordered from the UK a week before Christmas? (Book depository) 2 out of three got here in a week. 

It's mad out there.

10 hours ago, Metrognome said:

It was an anecdotal data point not a fucking editorial.  Jesus.

Oh, of heuristic importance was it? 

When I protested the sabotage outside our local USPS, several Reichistas 

poo pooed it, denying that there were going to be any delays. GRRRRR !!

Made me a bit touchy on the subject, sorry dude 

(DeJoy belongs in an orange jump suit)

It has next to nothing to do with Trump or the U.S. Government.

It has almost everything to do with Amazon and Bezos's spreading tendrils of deception to take over the U.S. Postal Service, which is firmly in his sights.

https://observer.com/2019/07/jeff-bezos-amazon-usps-delivery-exploitation/

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-usps-rural-packages-deliveries-2020-5

It's become worse because so many people are using Amazon as their main "Mechanism of Laziness" in the COVID lockdowns. Instead of getting up off of their fat asses and waddling down to the store with a mask, they cite their fear of infectious agents and then have everything from a bottle of French's Mustard to replacement AAA batteries for their remote control delivered to their door. And pretty much every item that Amazon delivers, at some point, takes a brief dip or a long swim through the U.S. Postal Service.

The USPS is now so intertwined with Amazon, that it will be nearly impossible to extricate our public property from the clutches of Amazon. And to make matters worse, a lot of staunch conservatives who have no problem with the wholesale privatization of the United States Postal Service, are now being supported by all the tree-hugging lefties who see Amazon as a kind of Greenie Christ.

We're all fucked, and it we're all fucked because The United States of America is increasingly the land of bloated fat lazy fucks who see their inaction as a form of higher purpose in the new COVID reality.

That letter used to be the USPS's prime mission, and now letter delivery has taken a back seat to the USPS's other business, parcel delivery, "aka Amazon subsidization" to the point that the letter delivery is no longer of any key importance to anyone anymore. The bills come by email, something very important is shipped FedEx, and USPS's letter delivery is mainly advertising circulars and cars for Grandma. So when the USPS turns to their lord and master, Jeff Bezos, he shouts "get my fucking Prime Packages through your system" and letter delivery then becomes a low-ranked second fiddle.

Do you miss the old U.S. Postal Service? Look inward, you Prime-addicted fucks. I cancelled my Prime years ago and I've never looked back. If I need to buy something from Amazon, which is a few times a year, I pay for the shipping costs. And if I want to watch something on Amazon's service, I figure I have enough time to read a book instead, or waste time with y'all my fellow beloved drunken degenerates.

Sure, the Drumphists did nothing to impede the USPS, all fake news . . 

What does Bezos have to do with first class letter delivery ??  Nothing 

In today's mail I received a christmas card that was postmarked Dec 5th - from Chicago. 

And below  is total and complete crappola - lefties do not support Amazon. 

Mike you are lying . .  

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

wholesale privatization of the United States Postal Service, are now being supported by all the tree-hugging lefties who see Amazon as a kind of Greenie Christ.

34 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Sure, the Drumphists did nothing to impede the USPS, all fake news . . 

What does Bezos have to do with first class letter delivery ??  Nothing 

In today's mail I received a christmas card that was postmarked Dec 5th - from Chicago. 

And below  is total and complete crappola - lefties do not support Amazon. 

Mike you are lying . .  

I guess you don't know then ...

The USPS has two sides of its business that are not "nothing" as you claim. The letter and the parcel. But the reason Congress got imvolved from the 1970s onward was BECAUSE the USPS was able to use the letter side of their business to give an "unfair advantage" to the parcel side of their business. (It's actually OUR business, since we own the USPS as a public resource, so I'll use "our" from now on.)

We used the trucks (at one point, the planes, before FedEx nixed that) the sorting and the employees of the letter side of our business to subsidize the parcel side of our business, and the parcel infrastructure to subsidize the letter side of our business. UPS cried foul on the parcel side, and FedEx cried foul on the letter side.

But we had no choice, really. The USPS was an is an expensive business to run, because every town in every remote knuckle of our country has an input to our shared resource, even with very low population density.

But then Amazon jumped on the back of our resource, and within ten years, they had the volume to begin to negotiate shipping class and volume.

And now, we're here in 2020, and letters are a money-hemorrhaging business, they're now subsidized by our package business in our Postal Service. Worse, the core of Amazon's business, books, has the cheapest and most highly subsidized rates of all, the USPS book rate, where ten pounds of books will ship for a few bucks. (Thus the likely reason that Amazon started in books, and not jars of mayonnaise and televisions.)

The parcel side of our business will almost always commandeer the letter side of our business, regardless what you write, because unlike that Christmas card you got, the parcels have a CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED DELIVERY DATE.

The Christmas card doesn't.

So when you get the late card, you blame the Post Office. But when your jar of saffron aioli and your new iPhone charger come late, you will blame Amazon, even though both of those likely spent 80% of their transit time in the United States Post Office infrastructure. That's why Amazon's deal with the USPS includes maximum delivery times, especially when the final mile is made by Amazon truck.

And finally, lefties absolutely do support Amazon, as about 60% of households in the USA have Prime memberships, and Amazon Prime deliveries to lockdown work-at-home fellow lefties skyrocketed since March.

These market realities may annoy you, but they are the market realities. And regardless that Trump and Bezos fought with each other (Bezos the lefty who won't support charitable causes) in fact, they might as well have been working hand-in-hand to privatize OUR United States Postal Service.

This is not an intractable problem to solve. The first step is simply to cancel your Prime membership and spend the $150 on something else.

22 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

The USPS is trying to be like other logistical operations but they do not know how to pull it off yet.

Where I live in the Oxnard / Ventura area all our mail goes up to Santa Barbara about 30 miles away to be sorted and then trucked back to be delivered it it is local.

I've had friends send cards from a local address and it takes days to be delivered across town, even though we have a pretty big facility in town. It's kinda redundant.

14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Let's hope it's not a crate of lobsters.

Don’t think I want lobster from the Rio Grande river or Lake Texoma.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, jerseyguy said:

My wife just told me that she bought me a gift. I have no idea what it is but it has been sitting in TX since 1/1/21

Update.  The package that had been sitting in TX since 1/1 found itself on our front porch this morning.  Thing must have set speed records heading up I44 and I55