It's a great race dominated by local knowledge in the Bay leg.  All that being said though, you can overcome a poor performance in the Bay if you nail the ocean part of the course.  In 2017 we were DEEP after the Chesapeake leg which we spent very little time preparing for since being a Bay boat we had gone "down the bay" plenty of times to just do it.  We were wrong.  However we prepped very hard for the ocean leg and nailed that portion of the race to easily win our class.

I would recommend looking at the CBOFS website for current and weather forecasting.  Also important to look up the flowrates at the Conowingo dam in the days leading up to the race.  If flow levels coming out of the dam are high you might never see a flood tide going down the bay...

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, vtsail said:

It's a great race dominated by local knowledge in the Bay leg.  All that being said though, you can overcome a poor performance in the Bay if you nail the ocean part of the course.  In 2017 we were DEEP after the Chesapeake leg which we spent very little time preparing for since being a Bay boat we had gone "down the bay" plenty of times to just do it.  We were wrong.  However we prepped very hard for the ocean leg and nailed that portion of the race to easily win our class.

I would recommend looking at the CBOFS website for current and weather forecasting.  Also important to look up the flowrates at the Conowingo dam in the days leading up to the race.  If flow levels coming out of the dam are high you might never see a flood tide going down the bay...

Thanks. Exactly the type of information I am looking for   What mistakes did you make in the bay?   Did you go out to the stream on the offshore portion?  

On 1/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Will be participating for first time this June. Looking for good sites to gather  information on Chesapeake currents and any General information  from past participants on the race

We've always found it helpful to watch the other boats to measure how badly we're doing. It's reassuring to see that no matter which side we pick, it's going to be the wrong one.

• Like 2
On 1/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Will be participating for first time this June. Looking for good sites to gather  information on Chesapeake currents and any General information  from past participants on the race

Carry good charts , tide tables and a calibrated depth sounder 

in light wind the race is won on the beach ...

45 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

We've always found it helpful to watch the other boats to measure how badly we're doing. It's reassuring to see that no matter which side we pick, it's going to be the wrong one.

Perfect, what boat wil you be on?   

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, crashtestdummy said:

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/index.html

On 2/2/2021 at 12:46 AM, Controversial_posts said:

No cruising class this year, Just PHRF and ORC,  wonder what that’s about?  

Though it never made sense to run two competing VPP rules in the same race. 

Phrf is not a vpp!

Sailflow has good current vectors, but it only works on the website not the app.  Also navionics app has good current vectors.  

Do NOT go between Block Is and Long Is unless you are 110% certain you will make a gain, having current with you.  If it looks like the current will be slack or going south at any point as you pass anywhere in the vicinity of Block, you will lose.

• Like 1

Thank You.   We have the BI/Newport region covered as it’s our hone waters and we get in multiple races a year around BI

all the nooks of the Chesapeake is concerning.  I am sure there are area where you throw out the tide book and use local knowledge

Does it become more straight forward once you get near the entrance and close to the turn left?

10 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

Thank You.   We have the BI/Newport region covered as it’s our hone waters and we get in multiple races a year around BI

all the nooks of the Chesapeake is concerning.  I am sure there are area where you throw out the tide book and use local knowledge

Does it become more straight forward once you get near the entrance and close to the turn left?

Once you are south of the Potomac, and the Bay gets wider, there are fewer ways to hide from a flood current, so focus more on the wind.  However, if it is lighter wind out of the south quadrant and the current is foul, generally you go way to the eastern shore, but not always.  Keep an eye on the weather stations the whole way down, and the boat tracker.  If the breeze is south quadrant, there's a rule of thumb- if wind is west of south go west, east of south go east- again leep an eye on weather patterns though, as this is not always true.  

Be careful around the mouth of the Patuxent river.  Usually it is better to just stay away from there.  The way the entrance of the river is shaped, the currents are always effed up there, and the winds can be lighter and shifty.  Once you get south of Cove Pt. it's almost always better to either be in the middle or to the east side of the Bay.

Keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules that are always right.  Expect your navigator to be awake the whole trip out of the Bay, watching the wind, currents, and forecast the whole way.  I've navigated that race 7 times (won class 3 times), and it's the most stressful distance race as navigator I've done, much harder than N2B.  The forecasts always end up significantly wrong at some point because of the geographical proximity.  Trying to anticipate the forecast errors is key- watch the clouds and barometer carefully, it helps me to write down observations at least once an hour, and sketch the weather and winds on a backup chart and lay out contingencies if the weather deviates from the predictions.

What type of boat?  Unless it is a very fast boat or a very fast downwind ride, usually you get to the mouth of the Bay the next morning.  

Keep us updated as the race approaches, you might get some more specific tactical suggestions here.

2 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

In the cheasapeake the fleet is still compressed 

left , right , up the middle ... you simply mark the fleet 

for the leg up the east coast boats spread out 

it’s on this leg that you win 

in the  light stuff the beach has won every race I’ve done 

sea breeze  , land breeze cycle 

Very close in , man sitting on a spreader calling water color 

if it a drag race,  the  fast boats always win 

inside block island ? 

tried that once , won’t try it again , too many variables 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, slug zitski said:

In the light stuff slow boats can punch way above their weight class 

Idk, seems the faster boats usually have an easier time connecting the dots and finding new breeze.  

1 minute ago, jackolantern said:

Plus the cost of getting out to the gulfstream is not as high for the faster boats. 

Does chasing the stream pay?  I'd only go that far if there was also wind to make it worth it anyway.

Like I said, pays more the faster your boat is. Very fast and very slow benefit the most.

Also depends how close in the stream is. And the wind conditions to get you out there. 

Paid for the Figaro3 last time 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

not everything boat related is virtual!!! peeled the shrinkwrap off the A2N boat today. splashed in a week or so..

we were planning on Marblehead - Halifax too but that one has been scratched. They are trying to come up with alternative courses that 

dont send us into Canadia.. if they can route us to Maine somewhere, we're in. Also planning to do Block. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bump... Up to 90 entries with the race 6 weeks away.  Shaping up to be a good one.  Really wish we knew how the start breakdown would shake out.  Would be helpful to know if we were starting on Friday or Saturday.

19 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

What boat?  It was broken down in that scratch sheet they accidentally emailed out last month 

Yeah I saw it briefly, but I think things could change yet....

21 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

What boat?  It was broken down in that scratch sheet they accidentally emailed out last month 

I kept a copy - I don't want to post it here to avoid confusion, but it looks like the Fri/Sat divide was right around the J/120s, with anything faster starting on Saturday.  That was about 20 entries ago though, and in 2019, the J/120s started on Saturday. But the split will probably be in that 560-580 ORC GPH range.   

It looks like they were aiming for ORC divisions of about 10 boats each.

On 4/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, vtsail said:

Up to 90 entries with the race 6 weeks away.  Shaping up to be a good one.

Right now it's the biggest A2N in 50 years -- last time they had this many entries was 1971.  And only 3 shy of the all-time record of 93 in 1965.

A lot of boats in that 560-580 range, including us.  Looks to be a big Mix of J boats in one class with couple misfits and. 44vs120vs121.  Horses for courses.   I think 580-5 and up will be fast class of Friday starters.  

I also saved and been playing with it as entries came in. Will adjust now to your thought of 10 per class 

9 hours ago, Salona said:

I kept a copy - I don't want to post it here to avoid confusion, but it looks like the Fri/Sat divide was right around the J/120s, with anything faster starting on Saturday.  That was about 20 entries ago though, and in 2019, the J/120s started on Saturday. But the split will probably be in that 560-580 ORC GPH range.   

It looks like they were aiming for ORC divisions of about 10 boats each.

Right now it's the biggest A2N in 50 years -- last time they had this many entries was 1971.  And only 3 shy of the all-time record of 93 in 1965.

I think a couple boats will move around still - the J/44s should probably be in the same class, as should the Navy 44s, even if there are 1-2 sec differences in their respective ORC ratings. 

I was sort of expecting they'd have split up ORC 3 into two smaller classes, with the 44-46 footers together, and all the J/120, 121, 122s together. 

Re the two Aerodyne 38s, it looks like the rating difference is because Revolution (GPH 553.7) is flying a Code 55, while Zuul (GPH 564.7) has 75.1% Code zero.  It'll be interesting to see if that pays off - it's pretty huge rating penalty & Zuul is a quick boat with its code 75.

** edit ** that code 55 penalty might be even bigger, b/c Zuul's kite is 13m2 larger than Revolution's.

Where do you find that information?

J44 is significantly faster than navy 44’s and I assume all the 44’s are asyms on prod now?

I like class splits by boat type but not sure how you could do that in ORC 3

I meant that the three J44s should all be in ORC 3 (instead of split between ORC 3 and 4) and the Navy 44s together in ORC 4, rather than split (between ORC 4 and 5).

The details on the aerodyne 38s are from their orc certificates’, on the ORC sailor services site.

9 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

Your reading that wrong.   Order of starts on yachtscoring 

No it's a single start for all the crewed entries on Friday, except for the doublehanded class (6 boats), which starts 5 minutes later. So yeah 60 boats crossing the line at 11:05@

image.png.22a83a64e3f90f99de2e8e6771280cbe.png

Here's the starting instructions from last A2N in 2019:

image.png.0ee550c7714cec7934de12ce227a72c0.png

image.png.405f4f60510132b86ab04c8b84f310e8.png

8 hours ago, Salona said:

No it's a single start for all the crewed entries on Friday, except for the doublehanded class (6 boats), which starts 5 minutes later. So yeah 60 boats crossing the line at 11:05@

It's been fun in the past, but it wasn't this many boats by a long shot.

the mids on those 44s will be bummed that they're not racing each other.

16 hours ago, Salona said:

I stand corrected!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 11:40 AM, crashtestdummy said:

Hello CrashTestDummy.

If you want currents for the Annapolis Newport race check out Tidetech. They have all the data on currents you need from start to finish. Available on their own Tidemap or with grib files for integration with Expedition etc. 

https://www.tidetechmarinedata.com/metocean-data-2

scroll down this page a bit for an example of Tidemap when you click on Chesapeake Bay. 

They also have everything you need for Long Island Sound from NY City to Cape Cod. 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:55 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Interesting class splits... maybe they should do by boat type, not rating?  Silly yo not have 44’s in same class and have one class double the size of next 

Yeah bet they make a few more tweaks before the start, doesn't make much sense to split up the Navy 44s - they are only a couple sec difference in GPH.  And might look at splitting up the 18 boat ORC 3 division?

Also I looked into the van thing I remembered that from prior years but couldn't find it.  There is a RIPTA bus 64KINGSTON STATION via URI (KINGSTON) slow but cheap...  I'll probably Uber that one

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure about the wind gribs yet but you can get these currents as gribs. Chesapeake bay is 0.005 degree resolution = approx 550meters, Long Island Sound = 0.001 degree resolution = approx 110m, open ocean resolution 0.1 degree = approx 10km. All can be integrated to Expedition or many other platforms. 

www.tidetechmarinedata.com

Chesapeake bay total.jpg

LiS low res.jpg

CG currents.jpg

Coming up fast. Got some friends in it so will follow with keen interest! Go the ketch!

Looks like 82 on the start line, biggest since 1975.  

We’re in final prep mode.  Quite a few boats raced this last  weekend as a shakedown.  And with 24kts+ and sleet, it sure was.

It was very light at the start.  Haven't found the tracker or checked progress yet.  We had a slow sail back home after seeing the fleet off!  Good luck to all!

6 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Thank you. Nice add to the thread!

Its sure does look nice offsore and miserable in the Bay. 

Chessie line honors.. a somewhat shallow victory.. appears they took an uzi to a knife fight 

The downcard fights are a lot more fun to watch and speculate on. 

Nicole has an interesting track!

image.thumb.png.395f8f53495c4ddc7edda6efa768ab1a.png

Call the Wild Oats crew !!!!   They know the drill.  Were there any helicopters around ???

• Like 1
On 6/7/2021 at 10:20 PM, trimfast said:

Protest against Zuul for AIS infringement. Guess that will make it interesting.

Awards were yesterday and I do not see any result from the protest. Will we ever know the outcome? It was REALLY foggy for a good portion of the race.

Sail safe!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SailRacer said:

Awards were yesterday and I do not see any result from the protest. Will we ever know the outcome? It was REALLY foggy for a good portion of the race.

Sail safe!

The boat protesting decided to drop it.  Would have been interesting if it had gone forward as it was definitely not working...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, vtsail said:

The boat protesting decided to drop it.  Would have been interesting if it had gone forward as it was definitely not working...

Just as interesting, when it stopped transmitting Friday at 9:47 UTC…

I logged one of the protests when finishing but didn’t file as I missed the time window from sailing home but offered to witness the other.   There were two boats not transmitting and one blatantly turned it on/off when near commercial traffic on multiple occasions.  I screen shotted  my ais tracks that clearly show this. Both boats were called out by other competitors on VHF before leaving the Chesapeake.  Personally, I  think safety infractions should be brought to the OA and they should file protest/inquire and not leave the onus on a competitor.  One of these non compliant boats beat us due  to a tactical move at the end of race that we didn’t see. 

I won’t bitch about it anymore but believe OA’s need to address  in their SI’s and clearly state what the penalties  will be for safety infractions. 

...and  the second protest was dropped after discussion about it most likely being  dismissed by jury. 

• Downvote 1

I think I logged 11 out of 18 in our class transmitting at one time or another…. Not saying the others all didn’t but rather mostly people behaved. The offending boat was one that never popped up on our AIS either, even in spitting distance I can understand the frustration if they popped up in front of us. 

We Debated protesting but determined that we did not have enough evidence to support the protest.  Even if this was simply an equipment failure issue, there should still be a penalty (similar to if you were inspected post race and found to have an SER shortfall).  Agree something needs to be done.   There most certainly is a tactical advantage to being stealth and there needs to be some penalties defined and a process in place to curb this bullshit.  Another boat had an AIS equipment failure and was broadcasting a security with their position every 10-15 minutes.  

• Like 1

Zuul is a solid program and good people.  I have been racing against them for years.  I find it extremely hard to believe they would have done this intentionally.  

I was not in their class for this race and thus have no dog in the fight, but have been in many previous races.  My assumption would be an equipment failure, and it is not always possible to know that you are not transmitting.  Did anyone reach out to Zuul on the VHF and notify them or ask them if they were having issues?  Not starting shit asking seriously.  

6 hours ago, MacGregor_Lover said:

Zuul is a solid program and good people.  I have been racing against them for years.  I find it extremely hard to believe they would have done this intentionally.  

We recorded Zuul on our AIS receiver from the start until they pulled well ahead of us after Cove Point, and I have the data log / track to back this up. 

For those observing weak AIS signals, its most likely low quality cables & connectors that’s the problem.  

We just replaced our cable with LMR400 and can now routinely pick up signals 50nm+   But even so there were a couple boats during this race that only showed up on AIS within 1nm. 

1 hour ago, Salona said:

We recorded Zuul on our AIS receiver from the start until they pulled well ahead of us after Cove Point, and I have the data log / track to back this up. 

For those observing weak AIS signals, its most likely low quality cables & connectors that’s the problem.  

We just replaced our cable with LMR400 and can now routinely pick up signals 50nm+   But even so there were a couple boats during this race that only showed up on AIS within 1nm. 

Cookie Monster? If so fuck you for pushing me over pre-start, lol

18 minutes ago, SEC16518 said:

Ugh I forget who was forcing us up, it was stupid. Ordinarily fair is fair, but there was an acre of space in front of us. Trying to force a 20 minute penalty on a competitor… they may want to rethink that rule. Good idea, but…  I didn’t see anyone actually penalized, was anyone? 

2 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

We were on Blink, the 20min didn't matter in the end either way though.  I didn't even think we went over, I would have just went if I had known and had clear air at least.

We discussed doing it intentionally to have clear air.   I am not a fan of that penalty. It cost you more than 20 minutes if you weren’t in the first row so not a terrible strategy to start with 4 minutes to go and just race 

11 hours ago, MacGregor_Lover said:

I was not in their class for this race and thus have no dog in the fight, but have been in many previous races.  My assumption would be an equipment failure, and it is not always possible to know that you are not transmitting.  Did anyone reach out to Zuul on the VHF and notify them or ask them if they were having issues?  Not starting shit asking seriously.  

They were notified on the radio, acknowledged it and said they would do a system restart.  We were picking up boats 30-50 miles and didn’t pick them up from 100 yards away!

3 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

They were notified on the radio, acknowledged it and said they would do a system restart.  We were picking up boats 30-50 miles and didn’t pick them up from 100 yards away!

From the yellow brick I knew they were close to Kenai and we saw them most of the way on AIS. We were within sight at the end and nadda on AIS. I woulda been creeped out at night in the fog knowing they’re close and running dark. Rules hell, safety! 

13 hours ago, SEC16518 said:

I didn’t push you up, you shot the line too early.  

It was light air,we held on same tack for 7 minutes, two boat lengths down, and carved up at 60 sec. There was 1-2 boat lengths between us, and USA 40122 “Dancing Bear was above you. There was room to come down or luff sails to kill speed, and everyone did as would be expected.  

That said, thought you guys sailed a great race.

Here’s a screen shot with about 10-15 sec before the horn.

0EB70044-69DB-48C2-A48F-861A33945B5A.png

No big deal.....But we got pushed over at about 1-2 min before.  We started west of the mid-boat.  I didn't want to get too far from the line with the wind being so light, took that chance of going over early.

Our AIS went out about 4-5 times.  We realized it pretty quickly and had to reboot it.  Not sure why that happens, but we could tell it happened once the other boats nearby went missing on the screen.

• Like 1

So I had to go back and look at the WOXI AIS protest in 2018... It was also never heard technically. It'll be interesting once one of these infractions gets to a room to see what happens.  Yes it's on for safety but it also provides live data to your competitors in range so it's a disadvantage to have it broadcasting to the fleet.  How high is the burden to proof it was, (or was not) operational? Time will tell, from the Nav station I love it for nights being able to hail specific vessels on close approaches also to know which vessels are actually crossing close in the first place.  I sleep slightly better (the little sleep that I get) knowing we're visible in case I didn't see some commercial traffic earlier.  It changed the game, ok, but we gotta keep it fair and all use it and not be afraid to call out to vessels that don't have it functioning.   

On 6/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, Salona said:

Zuul’s AIS dropped once out of the bay, confirmed by others above and noticeable to us. Certainly could be unintentional or a malfunction, but the correct response, once you know you have an issue is to broadcast a securite with your position.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:53 PM, Thistle1678 said:

From the yellow brick I knew they were close to Kenai and we saw them most of the way on AIS. We were within sight at the end and nadda on AIS. I woulda been creeped out at night in the fog knowing they’re close and running dark. Rules hell, safety! 

Agreed, that is sketchy, even the Bloc Island Ferry was pushing out security reports for safety.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:19 PM, crashtestdummy said:

I logged one of the protests when finishing but didn’t file as I missed the time window from sailing home but offered to witness the other.   There were two boats not transmitting and one blatantly turned it on/off when near commercial traffic on multiple occasions.  I screen shotted  my ais tracks that clearly show this. Both boats were called out by other competitors on VHF before leaving the Chesapeake.  Personally, I  think safety infractions should be brought to the OA and they should file protest/inquire and not leave the onus on a competitor.  One of these non compliant boats beat us due  to a tactical move at the end of race that we didn’t see. 

I won’t bitch about it anymore but believe OA’s need to address  in their SI’s and clearly state what the penalties  will be for safety infractions. 

...and  the second protest was dropped after discussion about it most likely being  dismissed by jury. 

Any more details as to why it was dropped? I would think there were enough logs from close boats to make a clear case.

Also, for reference, there generally isn’t any penalty for going to the room and having a protest like this dismissed, and at least having cause documented. Well, the penalty is the time suck on the one protesting.

I do think the rules should be clear with specific penalties, but even then sailing is a self-policing sport. It is up to the sailors to report infractions through protests, not the OA to police the race!

• 1 month later...

I was just made aware of this discussion of Zuul's choosing to go silent on the A2N this year.

just to set the record straight , we also race an Aerodyne  and were obviously tracking Zuuls progress down the bay and noticed early in the afternoon she went silent.

we were both  lucky enough to skirt around any cells that could have been an issue, so we were disappointed to see this random omission on our screen. 

We  were in the lead pack out of the bay and knew she was just a little west of us heading to the tunnel. There were 2 super container ships that were heading out and would converge about the same time as us going over the tunnel and there was a lot of traffic chatter on 16 and 13 directly to our boat and another nearby J44 they could identify by AIS. There were repeated calls from both container ships on 16 and 13 for a vessel  they had on radar but could not see on AIS and gave their location.

we knew that was Zuul and after a couple attempts I was able to raise them on 16. I told them that there were 2 large ship trying to reach them for traffic concerns, then I asked them " are you aware that your AIS is not transmitting"   Their response.... " no, we'll look into it"  I heard nothing further on the radio from Zuul and never saw them on AIS for the rest of the race.

Zuul sailed a good race and came in 2nd in class but we heard a couple of boats had filled protests over the "fair sailing" rule. I visited the race committee in Newport and offered to bare witness to their protests only to find out the protests had been withdrawn .

when it is stated in the SI's that all competitor shall transmit AIS and boats go silent, there should be a time penalty regardless of the reason. WTF

So the issue with penalizing boats, is how do you determine if it was the transmitter or receiver that's at fault? What's the standard of proof for deliberate vs tech issue vs just weak signal? There's at least 5 possible explanations:

1. AIS was turned off deliberately

2. Technical issue (system restarted, issue w/splitter, etc... -- often not apparent to the transmitting boat)

3.  Weak signal on transmitting vessel b/c of inadequate antenna / cable. It's on, you just can't see them.

4. Weak signal on receiving vessel b/c of their own inadequate antenna /cable. 

5. Atmospheric or radio interference.  

We did this race, and there were several boats in our vicinity that were consistently only showing up 2-3nm away, while were seeing the rest from 20-40nm+.   Guarantee that if those guys were inspected, they probably had their OEM RG58 cable on a 60+ foot mast, which doesn't meet the SERs for 40% signal loss ratio.  Should they be protested too? 

And does the RC have the technical equipment & knowledge measure signal strength?  The calculator for meeting the SER standard is here.  Is this enforced?  (If you're being honest, it's hard to see how boats with masts >60' can get away with less than LMR400 cable, unless their transmitter is mounted at the mast base.)

Edit: Ok, maybe LMR240 for the mast run, with a connection at the base to LMR400 to the transmitter, could just barely meet it. Still have unmeasured losses in the masthead antenna, splitter, and connectors though.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:30 PM, Lanes Cove said:

I was just made aware of this discussion of Zuul's choosing to go silent on the A2N this year.

just to set the record straight , we also race an Aerodyne  and were obviously tracking Zuuls progress down the bay and noticed early in the afternoon she went silent.

we were both  lucky enough to skirt around any cells that could have been an issue, so we were disappointed to see this random omission on our screen. 

We  were in the lead pack out of the bay and knew she was just a little west of us heading to the tunnel. There were 2 super container ships that were heading out and would converge about the same time as us going over the tunnel and there was a lot of traffic chatter on 16 and 13 directly to our boat and another nearby J44 they could identify by AIS. There were repeated calls from both container ships on 16 and 13 for a vessel  they had on radar but could not see on AIS and gave their location.

we knew that was Zuul and after a couple attempts I was able to raise them on 16. I told them that there were 2 large ship trying to reach them for traffic concerns, then I asked them " are you aware that your AIS is not transmitting"   Their response.... " no, we'll look into it"  I heard nothing further on the radio from Zuul and never saw them on AIS for the rest of the race.

Zuul sailed a good race and came in 2nd in class but we heard a couple of boats had filled protests over the "fair sailing" rule. I visited the race committee in Newport and offered to bare witness to their protests only to find out the protests had been withdrawn .

when it is stated in the SI's that all competitor shall transmit AIS and boats go silent, there should be a time penalty regardless of the reason. WTF

You are not setting the record straight. You are giving your input of you wanted them to have a penalty and provided the information that you saw fit to do so.

The current word on the street is they paid an electronics company to fix the AIS before the race and to ensure it was working. It was. Sometime during the race, it stopped working again, and even through tries on the boat, they could not get it working again.  So RC and the protestors decided to drop the protest as a result of no foul play involved due to an electronics failure.

You can cry all you want that it is unfair and blah blah blah, but the simple fact is, they beat you boat for boat. They were not getting information from AIS to see your position either.  RC agreed, and awarded them the result, end of story, record is straight as deemed so by RC. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, trimfast said:

You are not setting the record straight. You are giving your input of you wanted them to have a penalty and provided the information that you saw fit to do so.

The current word on the street is they paid an electronics company to fix the AIS before the race and to ensure it was working. It was. Sometime during the race, it stopped working again, and even through tries on the boat, they could not get it working again.  So RC and the protestors decided to drop the protest as a result of no foul play involved due to an electronics failure.

You can cry all you want that it is unfair and blah blah blah, but the simple fact is, they beat you boat for boat. They were not getting information from AIS to see your position either.  RC agreed, and awarded them the result, end of story, record is straight as deemed so by RC. 

Hopefully the decision to drop the protest was that of the protesting boat.  If the RC was involved prior to a hearing then THAT would certainly be improper.

• Like 1