Had an issue with the motor, coming in from sailing, today.

The motor just shut off, just like if you pull the kill switch. Finally got it going again but had to sit and play with the throttle, to keep it running.

Any ideas? Need it this weekend for a race, then in the shop, if I can't fix  it. Ideas?

Thanks. 

I got some good advice in Fixit anarchy, maybe something will help you.   

• Like 1

What Solo said.   Order the carb and while waiting for it to arrive run some of that Sea Foam stuff thru it.   If it works great.   If not ya have the carb.

• Like 1

Disassemble the carburetor and clean the idle jets.  Then use nothing but ethanol free fuel..  I use avgas in my Nissan/Tohatsue 9.8 and rarely have a problem.

And my understanding is that you don't have to toss the 2 stroke mixed non-ethanol gas at the end of the season.  The oil stabilizes it so it doesn't go bad over winter.

Or so I was told.

Ethanol gas, no.

I have the same engine in the 5HP variety.

Ethanol free fuel like everyone says.  Same for all of the garden engines.  The other issue I sometimes have is vaccum in the tank.  If i forget to open the tank vent at some point the engine starves for fuel and has the same symptoms that you said.

Be sure that you are using the highest grade gasoline available in your area which usually means buying from Shell.  Outboards don't like ethanol so don't buy any grade of Sunoco or regular grade anything.  There is more ethanol in US gasoline than you might realise.

when you manually pump the gas, does it overflow out of the carb trough a nozzle on the top? If that's so, then you have to clean the needle, because the floater is stuck.

In the end, the problems you describe year-in and year-out led me to get a propane motor.  Not a bit of trouble, ever.

22 hours ago, Dr.A said:

In the end, the problems you describe year-in and year-out led me to get a propane motor.  Not a bit of trouble, ever.

Which one do you have? In theory they would eliminate all the problems with fuel and carbs. Also, pouring and spilling fuel. But I hear the Lehr ones aren't so great. Now Tohatsu is selling their own.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up with the Tohatsu 5hp propane.  It's identical to my Tohatsu 6hp gas engine, only clean, quiet and reliable.

2 hours ago, Dr.A said:

I ended up with the Tohatsu 5hp propane.  It's identical to my Tohatsu 6hp gas engine, only clean, quiet and reliable.

What is your propane usage?  I’ve got a 5HP Lehr that I am moving to a 10 lb cylinder