Went sailing today, coming in just shut off, like you pulled the kill cord.

Finally got it restarted, had to play with the throttle, all the way back, just to keep it running.

Need it Sunday, for race and mechanic won't look at it for a week. Ideas?  Never used Ethenial  gas.

Heh...another wound to the ethanol in gasoline myth.

Don’t screw around. Check the filter. Pull the carb, remove the bowl, blow out every orifice. I tighten all the adjustment screws, carefully counting the turns, and then reset to push grunge out of the tiny metering holes. Works every time. If anything is found in the filter, water or fouling, clean the tank and jugs.

Of course look for bigger issues while in there, like bad hoses.

+1 for @El Borracho

Pull carb, remove bowl, use spray carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out every little orifice. Replace fuel filter. There are two recent threads on Tohatsu outboards (since this is a common occurrence) and the threads have good advice, and some spurious/BS/ witch-craft advice. Once you pull the carb and go through it the first time you will realize it is a simple procedure. Do not overthink it. It can be accomplished with simple handtools (and I watched a professional mechanic do it with a Leatherman. Just a Leatherman). Pulling and cleaning the carb on my 'hotsu is a task I view the same as changing the oil in the lower unit. Must be done periodically. 

Snubs

17 hours ago, LarryE said:

Went sailing today, coming in just shut off, like you pulled the kill cord.

Finally got it restarted, had to play with the throttle, all the way back, just to keep it running.

Need it Sunday, for race and mechanic won't look at it for a week. Ideas?  Never used Ethenial  gas.

If the engine is overheating it will shut down 

check your cooling water 

check the little screen fuel filter 

check the STOP switch function and electric connections 

take a spark plug out and inspect ... if it’s wet,  your fuel system is ok , look for an ignition problem 

I owned a Tohatsu 6 long shaft for sailboats. Worst outboard I've ever owned. Would stop suddenly, refuse to start etc. 

I think it's the carb too. The idle jet is tiny and gets clogged super easy and the ethanol fuel really gums it up.

If you still have it the tool kit that comes with the engine has everything in it to pull the card.  You stack the universal wrench's etc.  Don't be surprised if you don't find anything, a small bit of water will kill the ports and once apart you see nothing.  Clean really well empty tank fresh gas off you go.

1 hour ago, El Borracho said:

Interesting. Via a sensor or like an old Ford?

Yah , all the small outboards I’ve owned have a thermo sensor that kills the ignition at overtemp 

double check your motor cooling and the electric connection at the sensor 

this is a  typical thermosensor 

i think it’s a normal closed switch 

7D0762CF-8861-47E0-AA41-81A9212BE5CE.jpeg

• Like 1

Once you fix it, assuming it was bad gas, upgrade your filter game. On my 3.5 with integral tank I added an inline chainsaw/mower filter and now use a filter funnel. There was no filter before. On my 9.8 with remote tank I added a real water separating filter. 

^^^^ I did exactly that on my 3.3 after it quit suddenly.  Pulled and cleaned the carb and its been happy with the filter

My tohatsu 6 died coming in after the wind died. Pulled and cleaned the carb and all that crap, ended up being the spark plugs even though i scrubbed them clean (and they didnt look bad to being with). Easy things first. 

• 2 weeks later...

My fairly new Tohatsu 6, has been running better after a good carb cleaning and new spark plug, but it will only start on a VERY hard pull. I can start it first time when cold, but my wife who is no stranger to outboards has had very little success even when it's warm. Any Ideas on what might cause this? 

20 hours ago, Ohmboy said:

My fairly new Tohatsu 6, has been running better after a good carb cleaning and new spark plug, but it will only start on a VERY hard pull. I can start it first time when cold, but my wife who is no stranger to outboards has had very little success even when it's warm. Any Ideas on what might cause this? 

My 6hp Tohatsu (circa 2007) never starts on the first pull. Never has. Whether warm, cold, spoken to kindly or with a stream of profanity, it never starts first pull. It's a nice workout for my rotator cuff. It's harder to start when the engine is warm (a bit of throttle or a little choke helps get it running again).  You must be living right to get yours running on the first pull. 

Snubs

If you want first pull start, you need a two-stroke Yamaha. 

My Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp never started on the first pull either.  But it did have a 25" shaft, high thrust prop and alternator, so all was forgiven...

On 1/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, snubber said:

My 6hp Tohatsu (circa 2007) never starts on the first pull. Never has. Whether warm, cold, spoken to kindly or with a stream of profanity, it never starts first pull. It's a nice workout for my rotator cuff. It's harder to start when the engine is warm (a bit of throttle or a little choke helps get it running again).  You must be living right to get yours running on the first pull. 

Snubs

It's not so much the first pull starting, as it is that it will never start without an extremely vigorous pull. My wife is pretty strong, and she can almost never get it started.

Late 90's had a 2 stroke Tohatsu 8 that I could start with a gentle 4" pull. Practically started on its own. Wish I still had it, but rust never sleeps. My 15hp Yamaha Enduro was never so well behaved, and this 4-stroke stuff!

On 1/24/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ultraman said:

If you want first pull start, you need a two-stroke Yamaha. 

My Tohatsu Sailpro 6hp never started on the first pull either

Absolutely. Just a gentle half tug and it would start on a few I've owned.

I had a Sailpro 6, What an accursed outboard. It never wanted to start and never wanted to keep running.

9 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Absolutely. Just a gentle half tug and it would start on a few I've owned.

I had a Sailpro 6, What an accursed outboard. It never wanted to start and never wanted to keep running.

I had one of those too. It had an issue where if I left the fuel tank connected but unvented, it would build up pressure, force fuel past the float valve, and flood the carb. Once I figured that out and started disconnecting the tank between uses, it worked just fine. I'm not saying that's everyone's problem with that engine but it was definitely a problem on mine.