Motorbikes you dream owning someday anarchy

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

R60/2. Classically beautiful, elegant and sporty

That is a 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200.  A development of the Breva 1100 platform,  and the basis for the Norge,  which is what I was looking at initially - to replace my aging (and excellent) Yamaha FJ

the beak...no manufacturer can make a bike of any genre without that fucking beak...fuck they're ugly.  sorry man, i'm sure they are great bikes but christ i hate the beaks.

Posted Images

The BMW S1000RR would be a great Sunday morning ride or to do a wallet/backpack only Alps tour.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 12.58.32 PM.png

More like someday, back in the day...  I have used up all of my motorcycle 9 lives

Eric Goboers  RC500MX  even with 4 speed gear box, the thing could still dig trenches.  Got to ride one that was built by Pro-Circut one day...  The Cheshire Cat had nothing on me after doing a few lap on that thing.. smooth power band and a suspension that could handle anything.

_DSC8934e_1400w.jpg

Always like the old school BMW.. looked pretty cool in white too

maxresdefault.jpg

As for canyon blasting, always like the rice rockets... 

Kawasaki%20GPZ500S%2096%20%203.jpg

16 minutes ago, ancientseawolf said:

I loved the low level whirring mechanical sound at idle - and then the rush through the gears

image.png

What is it?  Google image search failed me.  First bike was Yamaha 175 Enduro totally tricked out, then an RD 350.   Had a friends BMW R/75, when  a woman turned right into me, and I endoed over the car and flew more than a few feet.  Shattered left wrist, and cracked the Bell helmet, bike was totaled.  One of my 9 lives.  I think I may have a few left, but not tempting fate any more.

Only bike I still dream of owning.

For putting along the beach in summer.

This one with cow horn bars, a hairpin sissy bar and angled cocktail shakers with baffles - all in chrome - would be exactly it.

And I know - completely useless and a kidney killer but it's the bike equivalent of Milner's '32 Ford.

image.png.a9c64dac241a47badc4e38392f05979f.png

These days I find myself lusting for more relaxed custom classics like the Deus Bel Air 1200 

BelAir1200-B-web-01161.jpg

Or the Deus Elegant Mongrel (Kawasaki W base)

y_TRkf1OTBb3kMrw0zotVgeGt18Rt5LbIATsq9HW

• Like 2
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

What is it?  Google image search failed me.  First bike was Yamaha 175 Enduro totally tricked out, then an RD 350.   Had a friends BMW R/75, when  a woman turned right into me, and I endoed over the car and flew more than a few feet.  Shattered left wrist, and cracked the Bell helmet, bike was totaled.  One of my 9 lives.  I think I may have a few left, but not tempting fate any more.

Ariel Square Four  Had it in 1958.  Like lots of stuff it would be nice to have againimage.png.bbe92245771b951ad418ae4d21782dda.png

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Only bike I still dream of owning.

For putting along the beach in summer.

This one with cow horn bars, a hairpin sissy bar and angled cocktail shakers with baffles - all in chrome - would be exactly it.

And I know - completely useless and a kidney killer but it's the bike equivalent of Milner's '32 Ford.

image.png.a9c64dac241a47badc4e38392f05979f.png

When my son was 19 or 20, he built a pan head hard tail from swap meat parts and put 16000 miles on it one year. I asked if he wore a kidney belt in August of that year. He replied, I do now!:ph34r:

Had this in college for a couple of years:

aSCA30LT3DQqdAG5954g2Yem1RKJShytf3-jZ-4C

Loved riding it on winding back roads.

Still, my dream bike is probably a BMW. I'd take either the R60/2  or the S100  in a heartbeat. I do prefer their silver livery however.

I also wouldn't turn down a Ducati SuperSport 950 in white if someone wanted to give me one ..

liked the yamahas... had a 400dt in high school..  650 Special II was my commuter.. 750 Seca was a crotch rocket......

I would take any of them again....

Retrospective: Yamaha DT400 Enduro: 1975 - 1979 | Rider Magazine | Rider  Magazine

1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II. My first street bike that was tagged. | Xs650,  Yamaha, Yamaha 650

image.jpeg.75f155143b929f8c5df5ba671b0670fb.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

liked the yamahas... had a 400dt in high school..  650 Special II was my commuter.. 750 Seca was a crotch rocket......

Retrospective: Yamaha DT400 Enduro: 1975 - 1979 | Rider Magazine | Rider  Magazine

1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II. My first street bike that was tagged. | Xs650,  Yamaha, Yamaha 650

image.jpeg.75f155143b929f8c5df5ba671b0670fb.jpeg

Friend had a DT 400 in El Paso (Ft Bliss).  My Can AM 175 WAS A LOT FASTER. It was really light, the street legalities were maybe stretched a little but the light weight in the rolling dessert was a joy.See the source image

This being not exactly model came in weight wise only 15 or 20 lbs heavier than a factory MX bike of the time.

4 hours ago, Bacchus66 said:

Had this in college for a couple of years:

aSCA30LT3DQqdAG5954g2Yem1RKJShytf3-jZ-4C

Loved riding it on winding back roads.

Still, my dream bike is probably a BMW. I'd take either the R60/2  or the S100  in a heartbeat. I do prefer their silver livery however.

I also wouldn't turn down a Ducati SuperSport 950 in white if someone wanted to give me one ..

Hmm .. picture showed in preview but dint seem to come through in post .. Here's another try.

aa5cfa6d3643f98d07fc152eb5cba868.jpg

It was a Yamaha Midnight Virago, 82 or 83 I think, though I bought it used from a friend and don't remember model year for sure.

Take this and add some giant loop coyote panniers then ride from AK to MX.

PHO_BIKE_90_RE_690enduror-us-21-90re_%23

In the mean time I'm perfectly happy puttering around on my current ride.

i-hvbB7k8-X2.jpg

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Take this and add some giant loop coyote panniers then ride from AK to MX.

PHO_BIKE_90_RE_690enduror-us-21-90re_%23

In the mean time I'm perfectly happy puttering around on my current ride.

i-hvbB7k8-X2.jpg

Loved my KTM 300, best all around bike.. and my last one.. :mellow:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

almost bought a seca 750 in 84...   went with the v45 magna instead...   also the other problem with older bikes, is the tire selection, you have to go with bias ply...

DSC07660.JPG

4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

almost bought a seca 750 in 82...   went with the v45 magna instead... 

I hadn't planned on buying a bike when got the Seca.. A friend had bought it and his wife wouldn't let him keep it LOL 

she sold it to me for half of what he paid for it. Couldn't pass up the deal.

I let him come over and ride it every it every now and then. Felt sorry for his henpecked ass... 

14 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

Had the RD 350....  that was responsible for at least 3 of my motorcycle 9 lives...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Why did you guys stop riding  ?

That is a good question. Picking places and times to ride are key to the safe riding the motorcycle and when you can't aware everything and everyone you can around you. Avoid commuting or traffic.  Zealousness, speed beyond wisdom, impaired ability or adverse road conditions suggest poor timing.

I do like me a styled K- Bike. Would suggest a more comfortable saddle than most silly cafe builds suggest.

Screen_Shot_2021-01-08_at_11_58.21_AM.png

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Like I said, I used up my motorcycle 9 lives...  really I think it was more like 109... 

Went out riding one day and was hitting it pretty hard on some back trails at the Hungry Valley SRV Park...  came flying around a turn and there were a bunch of quad riders just sitting in the middle of the trail smoking pot and drinking...   I hit one of them and got a serious bruise/contusion/swelling mid-abdomen from the handlebar end.... a little harder and it could have impaled me..  to my fortune I was not pissing or shitting blood and no metallic taste in my mouth, but it was a long stint recovering from it.

It was time. 

Looking back it was a good 30 year run... made some good friends along the way, met some great people in the sport of Moro-Cross, learned a lot about engines/suspension/mechanics in general, and have some great memories.. no regrets..

But, I do get a little horny when I see one of these,

maxresdefault.jpg

I wish I had the Can-am 400 and the GS850 as they were rock solid performers and dead reliable but there were cold start issues and altitude issues with the lack of EFI 

1. CZ250 Black Frame

2. CZ400 Red Frame 

3. Husqvarna 390 Enduro

4. Can-am 400 Qualifier

5.KZ650 Road

6.GS850 Shaft Drive I had used up my motorcycle 9 lives by this point putting 50,000 miles on in three years 

10 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Like I said, I used up my motorcycle 9 lives...  really I think it was more like 109... 

Went out riding one day and was hitting it pretty hard on some back trails at the Hungry Valley SRV Park...  came flying around a turn and there were a bunch of quad riders just sitting in the middle of the trail smoking pot and drinking...   I hit one of them and got a serious bruise/contusion/swelling mid-abdomen from the handlebar end.... a little harder and it could have impaled me..  to my fortune I was not pissing or shitting blood and no metallic taste in my mouth, but it was a long stint recovering from it.

It was time. 

Looking back it was a good 30 year run... made some good friends along the way, met some great people in the sport of Moro-Cross, learned a lot about engines/suspension/mechanics in general, and have some great memories.. no regrets..

maxresdefault.jpg

This would be more fun :-)

See the source image

Was behind one of those big ass GS's on a muddy "adventure" ride one time and he put the front wheel into a deep muddy hole and pitchpoled spectacularly.  Only thing that broke was one of his add on spot lights.  Things are difficult to pick up though!

2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Got hurt and got smart.

If I didn't live in the city I might have kept riding but never again in the city.

30 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Got hurt and got smart.

If I didn't live in the city I might have kept riding but never again in the city.

I hear that.

It's just Country Roads, small towns, and mountain passes for me. No Urban bullshit or freeways,  or city morons.

I just picked up a Kendon trailer for traveling with the van and the scooter. Avoid the crap and ride when the riding is good.

20210103_131838.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

It was time. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Had one. Very nice ride. Always had the nagging feeling that something was gonna break and cost $4137 to fix. 

20171023_133807.jpg

2 hours ago, bridhb said:

This would be more fun :-)

See the source image

Was behind one of those big ass GS's on a muddy "adventure" ride one time and he put the front wheel into a deep muddy hole and pitchpoled spectacularly.  Only thing that broke was one of his add on spot lights.  Things are difficult to pick up though!

Ohhhh now that looks very tempting...  But a little to spartan for my baby boomer body.

11 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Had one. Very nice ride. Always had the nagging feeling that something was gonna break and cost $4137 to fix. 

20171023_133807.jpg

Me so horny, love you long time.... :D

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

had rebuilt and restored the bike , all i needed to do was pull the tank , fix a couple of dents and repaint and would have been finished,  withing 1 month had two drivers cut me off forcing me to drop the bike, all that work down the drain.. ( imagine having to source parts from ebay for a 20 year old bike) ... fixed it up the best i could and rode it to work as a rat bike..  one day about to head out to work, bike wasn't running right, parked it.. haven't had the heart to fix it for the third time...   haven't had the money to buy a different one..    it's parked in the back yard for the last 10 years..   drivers around here don't treat bikes with any respect

3 hours ago, Black Jack said:

That is a good question. Picking places and times to ride are key to the safe riding the motorcycle and when you can't aware everything and everyone you can around you. Avoid commuting or traffic.  Zealousness, speed beyond wisdom, impaired ability or adverse road conditions suggest poor timing.

I do like me a styled K- Bike. Would suggest a more comfortable saddle than most silly cafe builds suggest.

Screen_Shot_2021-01-08_at_11_58.21_AM.png

that's a good looking bike, i agree , seat too thin..  but i like all that weight down low,  definitely can carve some turns..

35 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

saw an interesting story the other day...  indian companies are buying up old english bike companies to turn them around and reproduce some of the legends...   Norton and BSA recently bought ..

Friend of mine had a motorcycle dealership and got a Triumph franchise in the roaring 90s....  told me all he heard was what colors do they come in and when can I get it... 

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

saw an interesting story the other day...  indian companies are buying up old english bike companies to turn them around and reproduce some of the legends...   Norton and BSA recently bought ..

I saw one of these Royal Enfields in the village a couple of years ago. I said "Nice resto" to the owner and he said "It's brand new - from India".

They should start doing it with '65 Mustangs.

image.png.e88ea5d88f3dd0a9727c2d68563837d4.png

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I saw one of these Royal Enfields in the village a couple of years ago. I said "Nice resto" to the owner and he said "It's brand new - from India".

They should start doing it with '65 Mustangs.

image.png.e88ea5d88f3dd0a9727c2d68563837d4.png

65 Mustangs are hard to get inro.

1 hour ago, rstone said:

A couple of favorites.

The Gold Star is currently listed on BAT

_20210108_182208.JPG

A friend, fellow Marine, had an 850 Commando at El Paso. Gorgeous in black with gold lettering and pinstripes.  I rode that bike once, during a party and after a beer or two, so I did not ring it out but the smooth power delivery was awesome......

21 hours ago, Dorado said:

no particular reason... work, life, a kid, sailing all sort rose in priority until bikes were just sittin around collecting dust. 

been very tempted lately but also realizing my vision aint what it was and my reaction times are slowing down LOL

this thing is fucking cool though...

2020GearUp_Terracotta_L1.jpg

33 minutes ago, warbird said:

I still have this bike though it is in my son's care at this point.

Came so close to buying one of those as a "vintage" WERA race bike.  Ended up with a FZR 4/6 instead.  

21 hours ago, Dorado said:

After my divorce about 6 years ago, I quit racing a year later as if I got hurt, no one to take care of the animals I was left with.  Was always on the back of my mind. which isn't good at the track.  Besides, lost count of the concussions, which I am sure are already making me more stupider than I would be, although I can still count the lumps from healed broken bones.  I do miss seeing my friends that came from all over the SE, and still occasionally go to a race to watch and help out with a rear stand.  Street riding, in the Florida eastern flatlands, just isn't very fun, especially with all the people texting.  Seems my friends that still street ride have "bar" destinations for beers and I won't do that.

Still do a little dual sport riding.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:24 AM, nacradriver said:

Loved my KTM 300, best all around bike.. and my last one.. :mellow:

Bought a used 300 during their "mint/tomato" color scheme.  Possibly the ugliest bike ever made.  I bought it as a hare scrambles bike to replace a honda XR350 that was stolen from me.  The KTM was such an improvement over the XR.  So much easier to ride and so much faster at the same time.

Sold a KTM 200 MXC, that was somehow, but not really, street legal, about a year ago.  It was like riding a 40 hp mountain bicycle.  I just wasn't riding it anymore.  I still have an older XRL650 and a BMW R100GS (that needs a new starter) but I don't ride them much anymore either.  Transitioned more to off road bicycles.  Less chance to break my old fragile bones hitting trees at lower speeds.

49 minutes ago, warbird said:

I still have this bike though it is in my son's care at this point.

15 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Came so close to buying one of those as a "vintage" WERA race bike.  Ended up with a FZR 4/6 instead.  

The FZR is probably a better platform to start from to race. The CB1 was great for the commute up the 405 splitting lanes and a joy in the canyons but a little soft on suspension and down on power compared to the FZR. I am sure those short comings could be corrected with cubic dollars but at that exspense you may as well just race a sailboat. 

1 minute ago, warbird said:

The FZR is probably a better platform to start from to race. The CB1 was great for the commute up the 405 splitting lanes and a joy in the canyons but a little soft on suspension and down on power compared to the FZR. I am sure those short comings could be corrected with cubic dollars but at that exspense you may as well just race a sailboat. 

Yeah, I sort of race my boat now occasionally.....and it is less expensive than road racing motorcycles had become, even with doing it all as cheap as possible.  Or at least I think it is.  I never kept a list of the money spent.  Takes all the fun out of it for a cheap bastard like I am if you know how much it cost.  

14 minutes ago, bridhb said:

After my divorce about 6 years ago, I quit racing a year later as if I got hurt, no one to take care of the animals I was left with.  Was always on the back of my mind. which isn't good at the track.  Besides, lost count of the concussions, which I am sure are already making me more stupider than I would be, although I can still count the lumps from healed broken bones.  I do miss seeing my friends that came from all over the SE, and still occasionally go to a race to watch and help out with a rear stand. 

Years ago Peter Egan wrote a column for Road & track describing going to an old timers bike race long after he had quit riding.

He commented on "The assorted limps and gaits" of of the old riders. :D

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Got hurt and got smart.

I understand that. I  am sorry you feel it has come to this. Many of the inherent risks a motorcycle has so does a bicycles. 

I take the risks on but know it is dangerous. I do ride scared and slow.  I do not trust other people in vehicles and bikes around me. Fully suited in armor, riding gloves, boots made to ride and full face quality helmet.  There is few things that can match the freedom, experience and passage through this world that a motorcycle delivers. 

6E103D44-9437-46C6-B9CE-499847B8A4F1.jpeg

66AF3ED2-4AB1-4906-89AD-BE11E22070A4.jpeg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Years ago Peter Egan wrote a column for Road & track describing going to an old timers bike race long after he had quit riding.

A friend of mine (he is a whole lot younger than me) keeps his "race RV" at my house as he lives in one of those fancy hoods that you can't park anything in.  He races a Ducati Panigale twin.  I always remind him of Egan's quote (paraphrasing) "Racing a Ducati is God's way of saying you have too much money".  He started his Ducati career with a 916.  They have got a lot better!

Yeah, a lot of people walk funny at the track.  

When I had one of these:

image.png.74a29f933f671755764970a400b15b55.png

(not mine, but yes, in that very livery...)

I was dreaming to own one of those:

image.png.6ca2c430dc56aaf5ca4283d72494df9a.png

I am impressed by the number of BMW in all the previous posts...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Peter Egan returned to riding after he said he gave it up. His love for the R90s was greater than almost anything he ever rode or drove.

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

Racy bikes with that boxer engine always looked so wrong to my eye.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Laurent said:

When I had one of these:

image.png.74a29f933f671755764970a400b15b55.png

(not mine, but yes, in that very livery...)

I was dreaming to own one of those:

I am impressed by the number of BMW in all the previous posts...

And not a single R90S129746812_BMWR90S1.thumb.jpg.c3a3ae3aa55b07fbc9a3ab46a5cddba5.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Racy bikes with that boxer engine always looked so wrong to my eye.

There was a time when boxers were beating up the Ducatis.

1 minute ago, warbird said:

d3cb6e20c7e3db7558fd87400442dcf6.jpg.6f05f93d33bdcd146857948778c9af05.jpg

:(

I have had the pleasure to be passed like I was standing still by one of these at Daytona.  Britten's team would show up every year but usually ran into some sort of fatal failure.  Absolutely gorgeous bikes.  The other side showing the exhaust pipe is the best angle!

23 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

here's us during a lunch break, in Muenster Tx..

DSC09945.JPG

that second bike is a honda 929,  talk about a holy shit bike..   notice the size of the brake rotor on that thing, there's a reason it needed to be that big.. 

2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that second bike is a honda 929,  talk about a holy shit bike..   notice the size of the brake rotor on that thing, there's a reason it needed to be that big.. 

Why does the 929 have upside down front forks?  I would think that increases the unsprung weight....