• Like 1
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

R60/2. Classically beautiful, elegant and sporty

This is my fourth Duke and even though she is kinda ugly I love it to bits. I have a habit of picking part-sports and part-tourer in my boats, cars and bikes.   Still a dry clutch, no ABS but I p

Younger me would be drooling for a Ducati V4 Superleggara... 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Why?

Looks pretty cool

Looks don't win races... Honda and Kawasaki were winning all the MotoX races and that is what was selling, this was off in a corner collecting dust..  Even though it was a 300 they let me race it in the 250 class.  It was the perfect bike for Unidilla and Hollister

Did a few mods to it, pipe, suspension, and better carb and I had great all-a-round bike, that is I could trail ride it, hare scramble, and outdoor track MX.... 

14 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

The bike I owned over the years...

The culprit that started it all, we took off the light and put number plates on it... boy were we cool....

1969-yamaha-at1-125cc-enduro-for-sale-20

This got me in a lot of trouble...

hqdefault.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

img1562-1607092871975@2x.jpg?16070929280

maxresdefault.jpg

img

1primm17_780287.jpg

2a0ff54880f805571f21bcd845b512fe.jpg

s-l1600.jpg?fit=1041%2C729&ssl=1

url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mxworksbik

csteel_110_1.jpg

Bought this brand new from the dealer in 95.. he was glad to get rid of it

1991-ktm-300-jpg.20575

We give the old guys 10 sec/mile....:D

16 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

The culprit that started it all, we took off the light and put number plates on it... boy were we cool....

hqdefault.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

img1562-1607092871975@2x.jpg?16070929280

maxresdefault.jpg

img

1primm17_780287.jpg

2a0ff54880f805571f21bcd845b512fe.jpg

s-l1600.jpg?fit=1041%2C729&ssl=1

url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mxworksbik

csteel_110_1.jpg

Bought this brand new from the dealer in 95.. he was glad to get rid of it

1991-ktm-300-jpg.20575

Seeing the progression of suspension brings back old aches and pains...

12 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Looks don't win races... Honda and Kawasaki were winning all the MotoX races and that is what was selling, this was off in a corner collecting dust..  Even though it was a 300 they let me race it in the 250 class.  It was the perfect bike for Unidilla and Hollister

Did a few mods to it, pipe, suspension, and better carb and I had great all-a-round bike, that is I could trail ride it, hare scramble, and outdoor track MX.... 

Race winner or not, looks like a sweet dirt bike!  Went to Unadilla 40 something years ago with Mom's 20 foot Motorhome.  Met a bunch of local Tri-Town Ct blokes and we partied  until the cows came home.  There was humongous rain that year and the dual rear wheel RV got stuck and an half a dozen or more mates pushed it out.   good times!! 

My first bike, a Yamaha 175 Enduro had ported and polished head, added reed valve, hi-performance expansion chamber exhaust, Ceriana forks and shocks and was a blast to trail ride, and was street legal to boot.

23 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

hqdefault.jpg

First one looks just like my modified 175 Enduro, but in stock form.  Second one looks like my RD 350, but it had no graphics and a maroon tank...

On 1/7/2021 at 2:27 PM, Black Jack said:

R60/2. Classically beautiful, elegant and sporty

Screen_Shot_2021-01-07_at_12_24.12_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-01-07_at_12_25.11_PM.png

In 82 I bought this, was the leading 650 until the Honda Nitehawk came out 4 weeks later.

See the source image 

I did a few minor mods, tapered bearings, air forks, richen the carbs (lean burn era), open the baffles and airbox a little, Koni shocks, drill the discs, recontour the seat, trim the rear fender a bit and spoon on some sporty Dunlops.  A friend and I were at the "Rock Store", Mulholland Highway, for a sporty Sunday morning ride. A rather attractive youngish lady suggested we go off on a winding canyon tour.  She mounted her BMW 60/2 and we followed.  She spent a fair amount of time waiting for us to catch up:lol:

• Like 1
On 1/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i've ridden older bikes,   meh,   give me something with abs ,traction control.  a smooth ride, and something to redirect the wind...  always wanted mid 2000's honda vfr 800   life is too short to ride on poor suspension and handling..

I had a bike with ABS once. That thing was a menace. ABS is meant for cars, not bikes. I was cut off by some car, and I went to lock up my back wheel to give me some slide so I could cut out of the lane without having to shift my center too much, and the damned cylinder did its ABS thing. I disconnected it as soon as I got home.

I agree with you about the shit suspension ... I rode the old dual shocks on my Yamaha street-legal two stroke, it's hard to keep the ass-end stabilized sometimes. Monoshocks are a big improvement.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

liked the yamahas... had a 400dt in high school..  650 Special II was my commuter.. 750 Seca was a crotch rocket......

I would take any of them again....

Retrospective: Yamaha DT400 Enduro: 1975 - 1979 | Rider Magazine | Rider  Magazine

That DT400 was a hellion, the ultimate hooligan bike. Keep it in the powerband and it could take anything on the street or trail. I got a DT (though smaller than the 400) specifically because it was one of the few street-legal 2-strokes available. In that powerband, it was like someone crammed a thousand CCs into a lightweight trail bike.

I loved that thing.

Unfortunately, the brakes were not built for that kind of power.

6 minutes ago, mikewof said:

That DT400 was a hellion, the ultimate hooligan bike. Keep it in the powerband and it could take anything on the street or trail. I got a DT (though smaller than the 400) specifically because it was one of the few street-legal 2-strokes available. In that powerband, it was like someone crammed a thousand CCs into a lightweight trail bike.

I loved that thing.

I have always wanted to put a disc brake and 18 inch front wheel, smaller rear  wheel sprocket,  clip ons,  rearsets and a quarter fairing on a DT400:lol:

• Like 1

This is my fourth Duke and even though she is kinda ugly I love it to bits. I have a habit of picking part-sports and part-tourer in my boats, cars and bikes.  

Still a dry clutch, no ABS but I pulled off the stock cans for the obligatory carbon pipes (Ducatis V-twins were born for carbon pipes)

Fun through the mountains and you can get off at the end of the long day not crying in pain. 

IMG_031777.thumb.jpg.ede09c7d31974444aff8f8728c08d4d4.jpg

• Like 3
14 hours ago, warbird said:

I have always wanted to put a disc brake and 18 inch front wheel, smaller rear  wheel sprocket,  clip ons,  rearsets and a quarter fairing on a DT400:lol:

Yamaha should have stuck with the 360 engine... When the YZ line went to the 400 cc engine it filtered down to their duel sports...  basically the 250 frame with a bigger engine.

15 hours ago, mikewof said:

I loved that thing.

the torque induction carb system on my 400 gave it tremendous grunt at low rpms.. and allowed that bike to power my big ass around a damn site better than anything else in the same CC in the winter of 77-78 ( I think) the Mid atlantic had a rather significant snow event. I pulled the wheels off and shot dry wall screws out thru the knob on the tires and cut them off leaving about an 1/8 to a 1/16 of "stud" sticking out. wrapped the inner tube with an old inner tube and put the whole pile of shit back together and drove that thing around in the snow for about a week. it was much better in the snow than my MG.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Yamaha should have stuck with the 360 engine... When the YZ line went to the 400 cc engine it filtered down to their duel sports...  basically the 250 frame with a bigger engine.

Was the 400 just the same 360 engine with a bit of boring? I remember the old DT360s seems faster than the later 400s. They were all dual-sport street legal bikes, so the EPA had a say on their airflow.

39 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Was the 400 just the same 360 engine with a bit of boring? I remember the old DT360s seems faster than the later 400s. They were all dual-sport street legal bikes, so the EPA had a say on their airflow.

Good question and I don't remember... but knowing the Japanese and they way they did things could be..  I know a lot of their parts were interchangeable. 

17 hours ago, mikewof said:

I loved that thing.

that's what i liked about my magna,   two powerbands,  0-5000 it was like riding a quarter-horse, 5000-11000 , a thorough-bred,  you better be hanging on tight,..    v-4's an awesome motor,  can't imagine what honda's  v-5 race motor was like.. it must have been insane.., 260 HP?  mine was 72HP and that was enough...

RC211V engine 2006  
Displacement 990cc
Engine type four-stroke, injection, DOHC, V5 at 75.5°
Power approx. 260 hp at 16 500 rpm

This machine reached a respectable 260 hp, and rumour had it that it could even make it to over 300 hp. The last of the RC211Vs was the culmination of an era in which Honda motorbikes won three of the five World Championship titles and four constructor's titles.

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

This machine reached a respectable 260 hp, and rumour had it that it could even make it to over 300 hp. The last of the RC211Vs was the culmination of an era in which Honda motorbikes won three of the five World Championship titles and four constructor's titles.

Ridiculous.

The bike equivalent of those center console fishing boats with a row of 300's on the back.

That sort of dick swinging leads to intrusive regulations like the speed limiters on Euro cars.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's what i liked about my magna,   two powerbands,  0-5000 it was like riding a quarter-horse, 5000-11000 , a thorough-bred,  you better be hanging on tight,..    v-4's an awesome motor,  can't imagine what honda's  v-5 race motor was like.. it must have been insane.., 260 HP?  mine was 72HP and that was enough...

One of the most fun bikes I've ever used was the Yamaha TW200, 26 HP with a dinner plate for a rear sprocket, I could rip it like a suicycle, Chicken Fighter style on the street and the trail, but then before I had the chance to get into trouble a few seconds later, it settled into 45 mph, and the slingshot acceleration suddenly disappeared and it turned into a moped. It felt like I was breaking the law, but the speedometer always said "nah, you're okay."

I used to ride it in the snow, though never with Bump's tire spike system. So much fun, all that torque, on the ice and slush, it was like riding on top of those gyroscope wrist exercisers; whatever stability there was came only with careful throttle.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that's what i liked about my magna,   two powerbands,  0-5000 it was like riding a quarter-horse, 5000-11000 , a thorough-bred,  you better be hanging on tight,..   

My Miami friende hade a Magna, I had a Nighthawk, we drove oute to Montauk and backe oune daye.  We swapped bickes at the pointe, and droive home.

He se onley commentte on the Nighthawk wase; "that ist the smootheste jet Ive evere ridden"

:)

This has been an interesting thread for me.... because I think I've finally, at 65 years of age, reached the point where I'm not dreaming of owning some bike or another in the future. 

I think I've got about 40 at the moment - across a wide variety of styles.  Most of them are in my hire fleet - including some dead wood.  A couple each Honda 500X and F, half a dozen Honda CRFs including a Rally, a motard and one with Ohlins, etc - three Suxuki DRZs all in enduro form, but with motard wheels in stock. Three Honda XR250s, 5 XL 250s - a couple of Honda Waves (new and old) - Three scooters - a Forza and a Click 150 from Honda and a Yammie Fino - and there's even a Lifan Cross 200.  Then I've got a few toys - a Ducati Multistrada 1100S - which is of the older school - air-cooled, no ABS or electifoolery, a WR250F Yammie, a KDX 250 Kwacka which is an old school 2 stroke dirt bike, a KTM 525 EXC with a very trick 613 in it (a rather wealthy Austrian chap built the engine at a cost of $10,500 and never got around to using it).  I think that's about it here.  31 at my count.  Back in the land of monsters, I've got a couple of my toys on the block at the moment.  My KTM 950 Super Enduro is for sale, as is my '47 BSA B33.  In the big box, I've got an R90S - first shipment, a modified MZ250, a postie bike or two (Honda 110s although I've got an aftermarket 125 for one) a '38 Norton 16H and I think that's it.  So 38.  Hmm - just had a look.  Found a BMW 650 Dakar over the back, but it needs some work.  It would be a useful day ride bike here... so I should bump it up the list of things to do.  39.  No need for more at the moment.

In the last year, the bikes with the most miles on them in my hands would probably be, in descending order, Honda 500X, Honda Forza 300, Ducati 1100S, Honda CRF 250, Honda Click 150, Suzuki DRZ 440 and 400, Honda Wave 125, Kawasaki KDX 250.  I ride every day.  I rarely drive - but there's a Hilux 4x4 there that gets very occasional use.

I put 435 km on the Ducati on Friday/Sat on an over-nighter.  I organise group rides at least once a week.... riding either lead or sweep.  Here's me sweeping on Friday

0dak1c.jpg

0dak1d.jpg

Thursday was a shorter ride, just up the local mountain 

0dp1l.jpg

Three of my bikes on the Friday ride - the two red bikes and the green one

0dak1e.jpg

Same ride - my right hand man at work, who rides either lead or sweep when I'm at the other end of the group.  I'd done some ergo changes to the Duke and this back road was a great chance to check them out.  I was riding lead, got stuck into it and found myself with enough room to pull over and snap the passing riders.... although half of them hit the brakes when they saw me beside the road (sheesh... I've got a frigging camera in my hand)

0dak1f.jpg

Love that road - but it has one trick corner, just over a hill.  It looks like its going to go left... but as you crest the hill, it goes right.  I try to remember to brief that corner into a ride pre-start.  Just after taking these shots, I pulled a rather large and accidental 3rd gear wheelie overtaking one of the guys over a hill.  Got a kidney thump from the rear seat for that... as I did most times I got over the ton.

0dak2u.jpg

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ridiculous.

The bike equivalent of those center console fishing boats with a row of 300's on the back.

That sort of dick swinging leads to intrusive regulations like the speed limiters on Euro cars.

I've got a different view on how attractive some of those big hp bikes are.  A couple of mates have V4 Panigale Ducatis - 214hp street bikes.  I've gapped one downhill when I was on a Honda CRF 250 Rally on knobby tires.  He blasted past me once we got to a 500 metre straight.... but then I was on his tail again and he couldn't get away in the bends.  Another day, different CRF and I gapped him by over a minute through a mountain pass... bumpy bitumen and high hp don't make good friends.

2 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I've got a different view on how attractive some of those big hp bikes are.  A couple of mates have V4 Panigale Ducatis - 214hp street bikes.  I've gapped one downhill when I was on a Honda CRF 250 Rally on knobby tires.  He blasted past me once we got to a 500 metre straight.... but then I was on his tail again and he couldn't get away in the bends.  Another day, different CRF and I gapped him by over a minute through a mountain pass... bumpy bitumen and high hp don't make good friends.

The KTM 450 sxf only puts out about 50 hp, but the bike weighs only about as much as the rider and KTM of course structures the toque curve perfectly. I see some riders around here who put Baja kits on them and then never take them off the street.

Seems like a waste to me to never dance with a beauty like that in the mud and the rocks, but they like the speed and the body position for street riding.

Since KTM bought Husky some time back, they now make a Husky-badged version of one of those KTM bikes, that now getting even more popular for what you describe; sleeper dirt bikes that have been super-motard'd to slay powerful road bikes.

To the point of this thread ... I guess the KTM 250 SX-F (with a Baja kit) would be the one bike I dream of owning, if not for my family responsibilities ... I'm lucky enough to live in only one of two states in the USA that allows the street legalization of dirt bikes with a Baja kit, the 250 SX-F would be like dancing with a ballerina; strong, light, powerful. But geez, $10-grand on a bike that I would trash on the rocks, seems cheaper to dance with the ballerina.

Wait, the 250 SX-F, with the Baja kit and the Timbersled setup too!

450sxf-snow-bike.png

Be still, my beating heart ...

Here's a 450 that someone did exactly that; Baja kit and a Timbersled. I think it would be street-legal in my state, whereas snowmobiles are usually not. If only I had $11k laying around my desk somewhere. https://denver.craigslist.org/snw/d/crested-butte-2014-ktm-xc-450-currently/7247816922.html

2 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

So... you're saying you agree with me?

Any British bikes of the 60's.. BSA, Triumph, Norton, Vincent, Matchless ...just for that twin sound. 

49 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

So... you're saying you agree with me?

If you want me to agree with you, I'm agreeable.

Its funny that these days I always seem to ride in groups.  I used to always ride alone.  Didn't see a single other westerner out on the Ho Chi Minh Trail when I did it in the wet season.  The go there was torque... not outright power.

122dyidtyi78.jpg

1 hour ago, Trovão said:

Honda-CBX1000-3.jpg

Owned a 1982 CBX for 15 years - sold it about 4 years ago.  Loved it.  My brother has restored dozens of CBXs and is a wizard at keeping those 6 carbs tuned.  If you are in the market for a CBX I know of several for sale.

• Like 1
Just now, Morgan Crewed said:

Owned a 1982 CBX for 15 years - sold it about 4 years ago.  Loved it.  My brother has restored dozens of CBXs and is a wizard at keeping those 6 carbs tuned.  If you are in the market for a CBX I know of several for sale.

the roar of those 6 cylinders...

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

If ever there was a case for fuel injection...  

Just now, nacradriver said:

If ever there was a case for fuel injection...  

why? to lose all the "fun"...?

3 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

And through 6 pipes.  This one is available now.

6 Into 6 Lo.JPG

how many $$$? if only i lived in the us...

3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

U$ 16,500

tks. i can keep on dreamin' though...

My cousin's wife rides a CBX.

Despite never having ridden one, that bike was one of the great disappointments of my life.

When the 750/4 came out I was captivated by its sound - a 4 cylinder engine that made almost the same noises as a Ferrari Colombo V12.

When I heard about the CBX I anticipated a sonic nirvana - which sadly it failed to deliver.

The 750 sounded a lot better.

We've had this discussion before on another thread here.  I’ve owned a CB750, a 1983 CB1100F, a 1982 CBX and now a 2007 CB919 – aka the Honda Hornet.  The CBX had the nicest sound of them all. 

The 6 CBX carbs need to be kept scrupulously clean for those exceptionally fine orifices to do their job.  The carb insulators need to be fresh to have proper vacuum – 40-year-old rubber won’t cut it.  Ethanol polluted fuel plays havoc with the carbs. 

Have your cousin-in-law get a proper carb cleaning in an ultrasonic tank, use a proper re-built kit from Randakk’s and get the carbs properly sync’ed.  Guaran-f--king-teed you will see and hear the difference. 

After that, ALWAYS:

·        Treat every tankful of ethanol polluted fuel with Startron or Techron

·        Run the carbs dry.  I always shut off the petcock a couple of miles from home to make sure they were dry when I put it away.

·        Never store the bike on the kickstand – always use the centerstand – prevents hydro lock.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

My cousin's wife rides a CBX.

Despite never having ridden one, that bike was one of the great disappointments of my life.

When the 750/4 came out I was captivated by its sound - a 4 cylinder engine that made almost the same noises as a Ferrari Colombo V12.

When I heard about the CBX I anticipated a sonic nirvana - which sadly it failed to deliver.

The 750 sounded a lot better.

I had a CB-750 for a couple years. Kind of a compromise on the body position, it was somewhere between a tourer and sport bike, couldn't deliver on either one. But for short rides, it was a blast, and yeah, it sounded so good.

But those four carbs ... I could never get them properly synchronized or tuned. There was a real art to it. If I had Morgan's expertise with the carbs, I might still have my red beauty, she was a wonderful gal.

20 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ridiculous.

it's a fucking race engine....     

13 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

If you want me to agree with you, I'm agreeable.

Its funny that these days I always seem to ride in groups.  I used to always ride alone.  Didn't see a single other westerner out on the Ho Chi Minh Trail when I did it in the wet season.  The go there was torque... not outright power.

122dyidtyi78.jpg

And that is considered an improved road.... right?

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the WorldLong Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotland to South Africa

Won't lie - a new 50cc Vespa scooter to ride the river roads and pathways for low key minimal touring would be really epic. 125 miles a day at the most with the ability to go anywhere for just 10 euros a day. Imagine where you could go and what you could see in a month on one.

Did you know that there are over 70 000 km of trans-border scooter routes in Europe— that is almost twice the length of the equator.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 11.53.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 11.59.01 AM.png

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Won't lie - a new 50cc Vespa scooter to ride the river roads and pathways for low key minimal touring would be really epic. 125 miles a day at the most with the ability to go anywhere for just 10 euros a day. Imagine where you could go and what you could see in a month on one.

Did you know that there are over 70 000 km of trans-border scooter routes in Europe— that is almost twice the length of the equator.

that's awesome and would be fun.  also, did not know that so feel free to cross post in the "did you know" thread!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Black Jack said:

that trip from southern spain to athens looks like a fun ride , as well as the others...   that one from berline to warsaw, not so much..  my ancestors would hate me

6 hours ago, Black Jack said:

After 50 years of motorcycles, I bought a Burgman 650 a couple months ago. 

It's fun, fairly quick, and comfortable. My wife likes it a lot. My other bikes had become too hard for her to get on and off so she didn't want to ride any more. 

I like the scooter a lot more than I thought I would, so I sold my Versys 1000 a few weeks ago. 

Something new and different is a good thing. 

• Like 2

A 50CC Vespa across the Alps?

image.png.6914af23d90bfa9f591e731ac7358bc2.png

Spare me. Those things are urban runabouts.

Next up - Cross country trips on the interstates in a Smart.

11 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I posted this photo earlier...

0dak1d.jpg

Lots of switchbacks and a steep climb.  I've done it two-up on my Forza.  Roads like that one and the one I quoted don't really do it for me... although its a bit of fun.  First gear stuff, even second gear stuff isn't anywhere near the peak of what I want to do in motorcycling (unless I'm on a trials bike).  Too much throttle feathering going on to make it enjoyable, unless its on some gutless thing you can screw the throttle open without fear of dumping it.

As for doing it on a scooter.  My 300cc Forza struggled up this hill at 25 kph - but the Duke does it at significant multiples of that.  There's a sign at the bottom of the mountain cautioning against doing it on automatic scooters.  They have no engine braking and there's a strong chance of losing the brakes on the descent (I've had over a dozen instances of boiled brakes on Thai roads - despite meticulous brake maintenance.  No biggie - just pump 'em a bit and you get to stop).

I will do up a video of some of the better roads.

• Like 1

I want this one with the sideboat!!!

14 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

0dak1d.jpg

Lots of switchbacks and a steep climb.  I've done it two-up on my Forza.  Roads like that one and the one I quoted don't really do it for me... although its a bit of fun.  First gear stuff, even second gear stuff isn't anywhere near the peak of what I want to do in motorcycling (unless I'm on a trials bike).  Too much throttle feathering going on to make it enjoyable, unless its on some gutless thing you can screw the throttle open without fear of dumping it.

As for doing it on a scooter.  My 300cc Forza struggled up this hill at 25 kph - but the Duke does it at significant multiples of that.  There's a sign at the bottom of the mountain cautioning against doing it on automatic scooters.  They have no engine braking and there's a strong chance of losing the brakes on the descent (I've had over a dozen instances of boiled brakes on Thai roads - despite meticulous brake maintenance.  No biggie - just pump 'em a bit and you get to stop).

friend of mine had a honda elite 250 back in the 90's ...  took it for a test drive one day,  was quite impressed with it's capabilities, though i thought the wheels too small , thus the brakes too small...     she commuted 45 miles one way on that thing..

On 1/12/2021 at 7:44 PM, MikeHunt said:

0dak1d.jpg

Horses for courses Ian.  Not all roads allow big bikes.  The way you ride and the speed you do it is often antithetical to other points of good riding practices, safety and most importantly to seeing the clearer colorful world at a slower pace. Not all of us travel the same great roads over and over again as a motorcycle concierge - why would one who come around maybe once want to rush it?

a basic great go anywhere motorbike that says style points count.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 1.22.15 PM.png

• Like 2

I I gave up bikes 20 years ago when I nearly killed myself. But I still love them.  My friend now is a salesman for a Triumph  dealership and recently got to take this for. Spin

A8E359A4-B79E-4D60-AD44-C77F62ACBDB7.thumb.jpeg.b2623aef232e23e0ad9cccbc67811787.jpeg

On 1/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, SloopJonB said:

Have you ever gone down hill on a scooter/bicycle on a road like that? Unbelievably fun!  

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

Have you ever gone down hill on a scooter/bicycle on a road like that? Unbelievably fun!  

I was thinking more about the "up" part.

1 hour ago, chester said:

builder is 24 yr old from oshkosh.  look how tiny it is 

Yamaha RD350 Custom

Extremely cool. The kid has got "The Eye".

What is that finned heat sink thing on the forks?

29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Extremely cool. The kid has got "The Eye".

What is that finned heat sink thing on the forks?

Stylized accoutrements, see the attachment on post #162.  Seems the kid has it going for building a bike. I would like to see his XS.

Nice 330km ride today - but nearly needed a new bike.  Lost the rear - in a big way - into a fast downhill corner.  Got that sorted, but it put me into the marbles on the edge of the road at far too high a speed - headed for a very hard wall, with a big ditch in between.  No idea how I gathered it all back up... I'll just put it down to some experience dirt bike riding... and a very forgiving Ducati.  Couldn't believe I got out of it without dropping it.  Even went back for a look at the skid marks.  Phew.  First ride for a long time without the 50kg ballast on the rear seat... and I was going a couple of notches faster than usual.  Nothing over 195, well, not that I noticed, but a mate and I were hammering it through this section.

6 hours ago, warbird said:

See the source imageA friend bought this new in May. Dealer deeply discounted to $5K

I don't know...probably a competent motorcycle but it looks like a cruiser that they tried to make look like a flat tracker and failed miserably.

2 minutes ago, bridhb said:

I don't know...probably a competent motorcycle but it looks like a cruiser that they tried to make look like a flat tracker and failed miserably.

They are going after the scrambler look which includes the tracker look  and is generally pretty much barebone but it's pretty hard to combine EPA, DOT requirements.  I found a few without including an XS650.

See the source imageSee the source imageSee the source image

15 minutes ago, bridhb said:
6 hours ago, warbird said:

See the source imageA friend bought this new in May. Dealer deeply discounted to $5K

That just looks like a normal old upright riding position bike - BSA, Triumph, Enfield, Sportster etc.

1 hour ago, warbird said:

They are going after the scrambler look which includes the tracker look  and is generally pretty much barebone but it's pretty hard to combine EPA, DOT requirements.  I found a few without including an XS650.

See the source image

sweet!

• Downvote 1

I had a couple of CBX's, first was a 1980 that I bought with basically delivery miles from the dealer to the PO's home. 17 year old kid's first motorcycle that his rich Daddy bought for him. While trying to do wheelies in his driveway to impress girlfriend the bike flipped back over onto him which saved the bike but put him in the hospital for over a month. The second was a '79 that I bought from my BIL after he got out of the service. I eventually sold both to my brother, they are the 2 bikes on the right side of the photo, the other bikes belong to a friend of his. My brother bought and successfully drag raced a Kawasaki 500 Mach 111 triple when they came out. He sold it to one of my best friends when he stopped racing and bought a first gen naked Goldwing in about 1977. About 15 years ago he traded the '79 CBX to my friend to get the Kawasaki back and did a restoration on it. He kept the Kaw and remaining CBX in his living room until his passing after which his son sold them off to finance his "I will never have a job" lifestyle. I have a 1966 BSA 650 Spitfire Mk11 which I bought from my aforementioned friend 48 years ago when he took a job in another country. The price was a McDonald's cheeseburger, 35 cents at the time.

Pana0054.jpg

P6041685.jpg

Img_1654.jpg

IMG_2687.JPG

The one time I had the chance to ride a CBX I was recovering from a nasty get off. Brother had a nice silver CBX but I didnt trust my left ankle at that point.