Motorbikes you dream owning someday anarchy

7 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I hadn't seen that before.  Good one.

I just re-mixed an old video of mine... a couple of minutes showing what its like riding in Java, Indonesia.  Sumatra's worse, because it is more random there

why do they bother painting the centerline?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

R60/2. Classically beautiful, elegant and sporty

That is a 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200.  A development of the Breva 1100 platform,  and the basis for the Norge,  which is what I was looking at initially - to replace my aging (and excellent) Yamaha FJ

the beak...no manufacturer can make a bike of any genre without that fucking beak...fuck they're ugly.  sorry man, i'm sure they are great bikes but christ i hate the beaks.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I hadn't seen that before.  Good one.

I just re-mixed an old video of mine... a couple of minutes showing what its like riding in Java, Indonesia.  Sumatra's worse, because it is more random there

Live fast, die young, leave a splattered corpse.

7 hours ago, chester said:

why do they bother painting the centerline?

Hope they have decent health care and cheap mortuaries.  Although with all the motorcycles on the road, maybe people are more aware.  KTM?  Probably the best bike choice for that mission!

Let me qualify the above statement that was made from a person that could never be able to think that fast.  I have met people that can ride like that in a relatively safe manner.  Birds fly through trees.  I would not be capable of pulling it off.

• Like 1

That was me 9 years ago.  Rode Indonesia like a 17 year old.  That KTM 950 Super Enduro was the absolutely perfect bike for it.  The widest part of the deal was the Highway Dirtbike handguards (back then a one man operation somewhere in the US - not sure if he's still at it) - which had spring-loaded plastic mirrors.  I clipped them on trucks going the opposite way a few times... which is getting a bit close for comfort.  I actually rammed a mid-sized bus (25-30 seater) with them once.  I got sick of those pricks just pulling into the traffic without looking - so he got a 350 kg smack in the side - enough to rock the bus on its springs.

I can't stand the Charlie and Ewan look - big fat "adventure" bikes, with huge panniers and topboxes.  We see them here all the time - never with any dirt on them.  This bloke, who we met in BFN Cambodia had at least seen some dirt roads.  The rest of his kit was at his guesthouse... but this shows part of the problem - the damn bike is so wide, you can't get it through the traffic

00cambo6e.jpg

He wanted to do the Death Highway - which we were setting off for - but his bike was too wide for it.  Too late now mate - five years on and its gone.  This was how that "highway" started btw

00cambo5b.jpg

and the scene of my stack on the Death Highway - another KTM, but the smaller one - back in these days with a 570 engine, now with a bored and stroked 613,

00cambo5s.jpg

No great problem - but I was only a few months out from a tibial plateau reconstruction... so I wasn't thrilled about it.

I will include another crash photo - because it shows the width thing.  We're on the road here... and the widest thing, as mentioned is the bars.  I'm under the bike in this shot - went down at 40mph - and no trouble.  A set of hard panniers would have probably broken my leg in this crash

0underbike1a.jpg

The closest I came to trouble in Indonesia was nearly hitting a kid.  Unbelievable circumstances... she was not much beyond what I would call toddler size... but she'd bolted across a four-lane road near a school like a scalded cat.  I was in the fourth lane and she appeared in front of me as she ran across (unseen) in front of an SUV... which missed her by inches.  I threw the bike sideways - missed her by a whisker and was too shaken to even pull up and gather my thoughts.  If I'd stopped, I probably would have ended up in the slammer for smacking her "carer" into the next dimension.

• Like 1

Had a run in the forest / jungle the other day - lots of trees and bamboo down, so we had to do some bush-bashing and cutting our way out.  That... and two flat tyres.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Great Red Shark said:

My other,  other bike

11664.jpeg

Is that a Moto Guzzi?   Looks like one from the motor. Goodle Image search just says :Cruiser????

17 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Is that a Moto Guzzi?   Looks like one from the motor. Goodle Image search just says :Cruiser????

Yes.

From the engine configuration, and the logo on the gas tank... but I do not know which model.

That is a 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200.  A development of the Breva 1100 platform,  and the basis for the Norge,  which is what I was looking at initially - to replace my aging (and excellent) Yamaha FJR1300,  that I rode from National City to New Brunswick.

But,  I went with the 'naked' version because I keep the bike at a buddy's place and this is smaller and he can ride it more easily - he doesn't do long trips and fully-faired bikes can be a hassle to handle for some guys if you don't.  Plus,  they do take up more garage space.  His garage. So...gotta be flexible, I say.

These are the last of that generation of bigger motors with the 2v heads,  which I prefer here,  for a couple reasons - but yeah,  the distinctive engine architecture of the transverse air-cooler V-twin and shaft-drive has been a Guzzi signature since the mid-60s.   Moto Guzzi has a great history,  they have made some great bikes and while they might not be understood by a lot of folks that's okay - Not Everything is For Everybody.   But I dig 'em.   Best-sounding bikes ever too,  imo.

Moto-Guzzi-Custom-Segarra-Replica-Right-Side.jpg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

That is a 2008 Moto Guzzi Sport 1200.  A development of the Breva 1100 platform,  and the basis for the Norge,  which is what I was looking at initially - to replace my aging (and excellent) Yamaha FJR1300,  that I rode from National City to New Brunswick.

But,  I went with the 'naked' version because I keep the bike at a buddy's place and this is smaller and he can ride it more easily - he doesn't to longer trips and fully-faired bikes can be a bother to some guys if you don't.

These are the last of that generation of bigger motors with the 2v heads,  which I prefer here,  for a couple reasons - but yeah,  the distinctive engine architecture of the transverse air-cooler V-twin and shaft-drive has been a Guzzi signature since the mid-60s.   Moto Guzzi has a great history,  they have made some great bikes and while they might not be understood by a lot of folks that's okay - Not Everything is For Everybody.

I always thought that bike was pretty sexy. I heard dealerships and stock parts can be a little hit or miss - still a great bike. 

Can you tell me a little about the servicing aspect. I hold out hope to get one for a fun ride in the Piedmont before the clock runs out.

Service?   That's really all down to your location - I mean,  if you have a relationship with a decent independent shop they can handle most stuff -  but sure - dealer support is really nice with a new bike too.

I've just never owned a new bike (having worked selling them) - and am a blatant bottom-feeder who isn't afraid of getting my hands dirty,  or throwing the whole fucking thing in a dumpster on the way home from a track day,  so my take might not be for everybody.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

But,  I went with the 'naked' version because I keep the bike at a buddy's place and this is smaller and he can ride it more easily - he doesn't do long trips and fully-faired bikes can be a hassle to handle for some guys if you don't.  Plus,  they do take up more garage space.  His garage. So...gotta be flexible, I say.

These are the last of that generation of bigger motors with the 2v heads,  which I prefer here,  for a couple reasons - but yeah,  the distinctive engine architecture of the transverse air-cooler V-twin and shaft-drive has been a Guzzi signature since the mid-60s.   Moto Guzzi has a great history,  they have made some great bikes and while they might not be understood by a lot of folks that's okay - Not Everything is For Everybody.   But I dig 'em.   Best-sounding bikes ever too,  imo.

I would guess comfortable rapid miles, nice.

29 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Service?   That's really all down to your location - I mean,  if you have a relationship with a decent independent shop they can handle most stuff -  but sure - dealer support is really nice with a new bike too.

I've just never owned a new bike (having worked selling them) - and am a blatant bottom-feeder who isn't afraid of getting my hands dirty,  or throwing the whole fucking thing in a dumpster on the way home from a track day,  so my take might not be for everybody.

I do most of my own work too, the airheads nearly all of it.  The Guzzi would be a good bike to swap with a bike I have been road touring with in Europe that needs to come home.

The other option to consider for me that is similar is this one. I have to be careful cause my wife only allows one bike at the house at a time. 

20200409-2007-bmw-r1200s-left.jpg

9 minutes ago, warbird said:

Friends with garages?

I do have those. Direct deposit ruined my sly slush fund since we commingled the checking account and she loves being the bean counter.  The one thing I refuse to argue about is money - this works to keep the marriage happy.

1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

What is with that giant sumP

Do those things carry a couple of gallons of oil?

Well...air-cooled motors really are OIl-cooled,  so yeah.  The R1200S is a real nice bike Black jack,  hard to go wrong there - not too many built either,  if you like owning unique things.  I put a fair number of miles on a borrowed R1150S and it was a very good bike, imo.

I couple more of the recent Guzzi - that I haven't even gotten to ride yet because of the thing

13166.jpeg

13163.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Well...air-cooled motors really are OIl-cooled,  so yeah.  The R1200S is a real nice bike Black jack,  hard to go wrong there - not too many built either,  if you like owning unique things.  I put a fair number of miles on a borrowed R1150S and it was a very good bike, imo.

I couple more of the recent Guzzi - that I haven't even gotten to ride yet because of the thing

13166.jpeg

13163.jpeg

That is a sweet bike. Where is your next ride. Appears you come out of the keystone state. Lots of options. I would love to do a Canadian maritimes ride. 

16 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Next bike might be one of these when they start coming up used:  See the source image

Zoomie bikes are one of the biggest bargains on the face of the earth.

The typical Ninja bike would cost $300,000 or $400,000 if it was a car - they are built as beautifully as any Lambo or Ferrari.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Great Red Shark said:

They're really not that expensive,  if you want one,  get one - few of us know when we have had our last sunrise.

That is exactly the discussion I had with a friend when he convinced me to buy my first racing boat when I was , ouch, 40....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...