Jump to content

Recommended Posts

F15s-1.jpg

The rule experts at the protest hearing must have had a wonderful time establishing who had rights in this Flying 15 contretemps.

Was it Part 2, 11 (On the same tack, overlapped, windward boat shall keep clear of a leeward boat), or maybe this was a “not sail below proper course” situation? What think you?

Title inspiration thanks to XTC.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

More facts would need to be established to truly know what transpired, but based on the information available:  Both boats violated rule 14, avoiding contact. Windward did not "keep clear" of leeward. Leeward, based on their advanced angle of heel perhaps did not allow sufficient room and opportunity for windward to keep clear when leeward changed course. If these are the correct facts, leeward is penalized for not allowing windward room and opportunity to keep clear, and windward is exonerated from breach of rule 14 if no damage or injury occurred. Additional questions arise with respect to how the leeward overlap was established. If leeward established from clear astern within 2 boat-lengths, leeward was restricted from sailing above its proper course.

Our game / rules are too complicated, but perhaps that's just the nature of the game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the second time around for this crash, as I recall it made the front page a few months ago

Is the ed checking on our recall or has his failed?

Link to post
Share on other sites


These are F15 keelers. assuming must have been former, and d'ranger makes a good point...seems to be familiar pic...but what do I know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

More facts would need to be established to truly know what transpired, but based on the information available:  Both boats violated rule 14, avoiding contact. Windward did not "keep clear" of leeward. Leeward, based on their advanced angle of heel perhaps did not allow sufficient room and opportunity for windward to keep clear when leeward changed course. If these are the correct facts, leeward is penalized for not allowing windward room and opportunity to keep clear, and windward is exonerated from breach of rule 14 if no damage or injury occurred. Additional questions arise with respect to how the leeward overlap was established. If leeward established from clear astern within 2 boat-lengths, leeward was restricted from sailing above its proper course.

Our game / rules are too complicated, but perhaps that's just the nature of the game.

There's no "opportunity" any more either, and ROW only owes the keep clear boat room to keep clear initially on gaining ROW (rule 15) or if ROW is changing course (rule 16). It also looks as though 3695's pole may be in the water and she may have just crash-gybed, so this may have begun as a port-starboard. So not enough from this snapshot, I think, to say. Would need to collect more facts about what led up to the incident.

Also possible exonerations for rule 14 violations (43.1(c) in the 2021-2024 rulebook.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JimBowie said:
6 hours ago, Lynch said:

This is the second time around for this crash, as I recall it made the front page a few months ago

Is the ed checking on our recall or has his failed?

he's suffering early-onset dementia and is repeating himself

earley?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Looks like a classic oh shit moment 

Aye! But, one of these dodgers had to know he was doing wrong! Of course, being 15s, no doubt, speed meant fast happening and someone messed the deal...Wonder what the meeting turned up...and if truth ruled?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2021 at 3:10 AM, Lynch said:

This is the second time around for this crash, as I recall it made the front page a few months ago

Is the ed checking on our recall or has his failed?

Yep - been up there before &  if i recall quite a thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, TJSoCal said:

There's no "opportunity" any more either, and ROW only owes the keep clear boat room to keep clear initially on gaining ROW (rule 15) or if ROW is changing course (rule 16). It also looks as though 3695's pole may be in the water and she may have just crash-gybed, so this may have begun as a port-starboard. So not enough from this snapshot, I think, to say. Would need to collect more facts about what led up to the incident.

Also possible exonerations for rule 14 violations (43.1(c) in the 2021-2024 rulebook.

Hey, hey.....hey, Mr. Serious answer dude,  you're inside the "First ten posts are for giving the Ed shit" rule.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former F15 sailor I can tell you it doesn't take a whole lot to broach especially in puffy conditions. Judging by  position of the crew (oh shit!!!!!!) on the leeward boat I would say that the rudder has suddenly let go and up they went. Nowhere for 3496 to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We would take a heavy gust and boat would heel and automatically round up, as rudder lost it and loved the feature, but Inshallah, maketh perfect sense. And it happens so fargin fast. 

Trouble seems to be in a hearing, everyone lies...Which, maketh me wonder if pic was used as evidence of something not yet mentioned?

Quote

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...