We are looking at getting a PC and Software onboard,

We have a Tacktick system running 0183

NMEA USb link

Garmin Plotter (older ne) 

AIS Transponder

boat is only used for racing,

what we want is to be able to have something like experdition or seatrack that we can click marks and get some sort of data feedback through the system and it all appears on the screens on deck,

then we get the polars and suggest kites etc,

What do people suggest?

Not keen on Ipads etc and they just arnt good for a days racing and the battery will be gone by midday

Expedition does have the ability to receive data from Tacktick, and to send custom channels to Tacktick displays.

The receiving is going to be straight forward.., but not having used expedition with tacktick, i am not sure how well the sending will work

The thing is, it's going to be a NMEA 0183 connection, so you are limited to numbers for which there are NMEA 0183 sentences, plus whatever custom sentences tackitick has enabled

I have Tacktick on my boat - but i have never connected expedition to it - i just daysail..., nevertheless, i did just get the T122 interface, and might as well give it a try in the spring

here is the section of the expedition manual that deals with Tacktick:

Raymarine Wireless instruments, previous Tacktick instruments.

Web

www.raymarine.com (previously www.tacktick.com)

Connection settings

Raymarine wireless / Tacktick instruments (via the T122 Wireless Interface) communicate using the NMEA 0183 protocol, so the default serial port settings are 4800,8,N,1. See the NMEA 0183  and serial port help for more information on the Nmea standard and interface, however, there are also several custom NMEA strings available with Tacktick.

Baud rate

Data bits

Parity None

Stop bits

Note: Tacktick does not send TWD, so Expedition needs to calculate it. Select this on the calculations page.

Tacktick settings

More advanced interface options are available by clicking on this button.

Output

Any Expedition channel, including alternating channels, can be sent to one of four or six Tacktick Proprietary NMEA sentences. See your Tacktick manual for further information.

Selecting the damped check-box next to any output channel will cause damped data to be output.

The Custom name fields lets the user over-ride the default external channel tag.

Some displays cannot display the proprietary data, please check your Raymarine/tacktick product documentation. The T210 Maxi, T215 Maxi and T110 displays can, but the  T111 dual line and 215 dual maxi displays can't.

Because of the limited display space, values below -100 may not show the - sign.

NMEA 0183

Allows NMEA messages to be selected to receive and/or sent.

Tacktick cals

Send Twa and/or Twa auto-cal values to the Tacktick processor. Select which auto-cal values to send on the calibration system page.

Alternating

Alternating numbers.

Exp calibration

Advanced calibration and calculations.

Exp calculations

Tacktick does not send TWD, so Expedition needs to calculate it. Select this on the calculations page.

5 hours ago, ollylove said:

We are looking at getting a PC and Software onboard,

We have a Tacktick system running 0183

NMEA USb link

Garmin Plotter (older ne) 

AIS Transponder

boat is only used for racing,

what we want is to be able to have something like experdition or seatrack that we can click marks and get some sort of data feedback through the system and it all appears on the screens on deck,

then we get the polars and suggest kites etc,

What do people suggest?

Not keen on Ipads etc and they just arnt good for a days racing and the battery will be gone by midday

What type of boat and what is your budget? 

Based on your initial post I get the feeling your expectations may exceed the budget and time commitment.

Expedition is the standard. Running it on a handheld PC or relaying the screen to an iPad will be your most economical choice. 

Maybe just run an app like RaceQs?

I have used Experdition quite a bit, always feel its a bit offshore orentaited, 

We have a tablet but i think the main thing is stopping the plotter being the primary input to the course etc, 

Not keen on ipad/phone use as the apps are more toys than serious race tools,  and dont feedback into the system, 

Boat is a 32ft, 

For expedition I use a 12vdc I5 fanless mini PC found on Amazon years ago and have been happy with that, it is something like this with lots of cooling fins, SSD, and then upgraded the memory to 16GB. Like this, I didn't use exactly this:
https://www.amazon.com/QOTOM-Processor-Fanless-Desktop-Windows/dp/B07DYLMWYN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fanless+i5+128GB&qid=1610237224&sr=8-3

Beware, if your PC and engine use the same battery, you may need to put something to manage the power surges in front of this to keep it from rebooting on engine start. Also, plan on buying a copy of windows10, the windows these pcs come with are sometimes crippled and you cant get them setup quite right and get updates.

Here are the links for the actual monitor, lighted wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse I added to it.

monitor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3ZSXJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

keyboard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZOPVSKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mouse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZZMAJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1