Maybe Storming The Capitol Wasn't Such A Good Idea

Just now, Ncik said:

Don't RWNJ want prison life to be hard? Haven't they voted for that for generations? Backfire.

They also covered their bets with "Doesn't apply to me".

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks take great pride in their ignorance and go out of their way to flaunt it, even to exaggerate it. They like to show it off like they are wearing a lair of the latest Air Jordans. I don't get

You are talking about folks that were taking selfies, some with their company IDs hanging from their necks. Burner phones to cover their tracks?  I'm surprised they didn't order delivered pizzas

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

They also covered their bets with "Doesn't apply to me".

The hypocrisy is achingly strong. It actually hurts, I have panic attacks and black-out from the hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, Ncik said:

The hypocrisy is achingly strong. It actually hurts, I have panic attacks and black-out from the hypocrisy.

Scotch helps. 

10 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I still cannot believe how kind the judge was. He's a capital P Pragmatist. Larry the Cable Guy Goes To LawSchool.

I never met a cable guy remotely that dim.

Of course I never met anyone that dim so...

3 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Bullshitters are whiners.

776102900_ScreenShot2021-07-28at3_54_13PM.thumb.jpg.b61e69ace755ddd2d61a502aad85fdbc.jpg

1480070866_ScreenShot2021-07-28at3_53_47PM.thumb.jpg.59fa428c4052c22fe5b8e6da87156583.jpg

Pussy.

Cry me a fuckin' river.

Can't wait for him to get to real prison.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The mattress is so thin he wakes up with a sore asshole every morning. Unfair. SO Unfair. 

Prolly doesn't provide a lot of support when it's that soggy.........sounds like the Proud Boy has lost his pride. Sad.

I like that the white supremacist gangs don't like him.

He's going to get an in depth understanding of Karma when he meets the Aryan Brotherhood in real prison.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Cry me a fuckin' river.

Can't wait for him to get to real prison.

True.  They are literally in pre-trial lockup, which is basically what people call "Jail".  When he goes to real prison, he will pine away for the days in "Jail".  I do love that the "law & order" crew are getting a first hand tour of the system they built and supported.  I would be a fool to think they will become "prison reform" citizens when they get out.

37 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I would be a fool to think they will become "prison reform" citizens when they get out.

If  they get out.

Many of them are going in as rats and all of them are going in as strutting fake bravado pussies.

That's chopped liver in the greybar hotel when they come in contact with real  tough guys. They'll be dreaming of the days of one man showers and crying themselves to sleep.

1 hour ago, MauiPunter said:

True.  They are literally in pre-trial lockup, which is basically what people call "Jail".  When he goes to real prison, he will pine away for the days in "Jail".  I do love that the "law & order" crew are getting a first hand tour of the system they built and supported.  I would be a fool to think they will become "prison reform" citizens when they get out.

Capitol tourists getting a jail tour. oh boy.

11 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

776102900_ScreenShot2021-07-28at3_54_13PM.thumb.jpg.b61e69ace755ddd2d61a502aad85fdbc.jpg

1480070866_ScreenShot2021-07-28at3_53_47PM.thumb.jpg.59fa428c4052c22fe5b8e6da87156583.jpg

Pussy.

Next thing you know he'll be demanding prison reform.

10 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Goll durn. When you're on pretrial release and one of the conditions is "no guns in the house", it's prolly not a good idea to have guns in the house.

Next thing you know this will happen to them...

Nikki Fried suspends 22 gun licenses of Floridians involved in Capitol riot

TALLAHASSEE, FL (WCTV) - Tuesday, Florida AG Commissioner Nikki Fried and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing announced the suspension of 22 gun licenses held by Floridians involved in the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

“The deeply disturbing events that occurred at our nation’s Capitol on January 6th were sedition, treason, and domestic terrorism – and those individuals involved in the insurrection must be held accountable for attempting to subvert our democratic process,” said Commissioner Fried in the press release. “Since charges began being filed, we are using our lawful authority to immediately suspend the licenses of 22 individuals involved in the storming of the U.S. Capitol. This is an ongoing effort, and as charges and sentences continue in the wake of this despicable attack, we will further suspend and revoke any additional licenses granted to insurrectionists.”

Pursuant to Section 790.0601, Florida Statutes, FDACS can neither confirm nor deny whether an individual has ever applied for or received a concealed weapon or firearm license, as this information is exempt from disclosure as a public record.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Jules said:

Next thing you know this will happen to them...

Nikki Fried suspends 22 gun licenses of Floridians involved in Capitol riot

TALLAHASSEE, FL (WCTV) - Tuesday, Florida AG Commissioner Nikki Fried and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Licensing announced the suspension of 22 gun licenses held by Floridians involved in the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol.

“The deeply disturbing events that occurred at our nation’s Capitol on January 6th were sedition, treason, and domestic terrorism – and those individuals involved in the insurrection must be held accountable for attempting to subvert our democratic process,” said Commissioner Fried in the press release. “Since charges began being filed, we are using our lawful authority to immediately suspend the licenses of 22 individuals involved in the storming of the U.S. Capitol. This is an ongoing effort, and as charges and sentences continue in the wake of this despicable attack, we will further suspend and revoke any additional licenses granted to insurrectionists.”

Pursuant to Section 790.0601, Florida Statutes, FDACS can neither confirm nor deny whether an individual has ever applied for or received a concealed weapon or firearm license, as this information is exempt from disclosure as a public record.

Insurrecting is hard, isn’t it bullshitters?

The suspension of licenses is good but the real problem with gun laws is that they're only followed by lawful people. This is toothless. Plus last time I went to a FL gun show, I walked out 20 min later with a new weapon. Cash ... no checks if ya get mah drift.

A former New York senate candidate stormed the Capitol, then asked friends to delete video evidence, feds say

Moments after Daniel Christmann climbed through an open window to get into the Capitol on Jan. 6, the former New York state senate candidate took out his phone to record the insurrection for his Instagram followers, prosecutors said.

That afternoon, Christmann walked around the building taking videos he posted to his @dannyforsenate account, according to a 19-page criminal complaint that was unsealed Wednesday.

In the following days, private messages obtained by federal authorities show Christmann bragged about participating in the riot, explaining to those messaging him on Instagram how he reached unauthorized areas.

When Christmann later became aware that authorities arrested two people he knew who were inside the Capitol on Jan. 6, he began reaching out to Facebook friends to ask them to delete any videos showing him on the grounds that day, prosecutors said.

“Please remove those videos,” Christmann wrote, according to a screenshot in the complaint. “My friend jake got taken in and my campaign manager from this summer got taken in. Its go time on the end of times.”

“Deleted,” one person, who is not identified in the complaint, replied.

Christmann, who now faces multiple charges over his alleged role in the deadly insurrection, did not immediately respond to messages from The Washington Post late Wednesday. Court records do not indicate who is representing him.

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Insurrecting is hard, isn’t it bullshitters?

But pretending to be a big bad tough guy is so cool!  Why did those mean government types ruin all our fun?

Another Proud Boy Bites the Dust.....Virginia's own James Davis

image.jpg

The U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia announcedU.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia announced on Wednesday that Virginia resident James Russell Davis has been charged with assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officers and obstruction of law enforcement during civil disorder. 

The criminal complaint filed against Davis alleges that video footages shows him wielding what appears to be a "large stick" that he brandished while charging at officers during the riots. 

The complaint claims that Davis can be seen charging "up the West Front Terrace stairs" of the Capitol building and "toward the Officers wielding the large stick/pole like a baseball bat in a pose consistent with a person preparing to strike with the object." 

The footage cited in the complaint also shows Davis "pushing and screaming" at a police officer, and also "pushing the officers hands down" as they try to stop him from advancing toward the building. 
=====================================

https://www.rawstory.com/proud-boy-arrested/

15 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

Pussy.

What?  Going to jail sucks?  You don't say?  This guy is no different than any other dipshit bully...lots of tough guy talk but pull off the layers of flab and power lifting heft and he's just a big giant cry baby, snowflake pussy.  Gawdamn, you Rightwingnuts are idiots.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

The suspension of licenses is good but the real problem with gun laws is that they're only followed by lawful people. This is toothless. Plus last time I went to a FL gun show, I walked out 20 min later with a new weapon. Cash ... no checks if ya get mah drift.

That's why God invented the No Fly List.  Hi Tom!

What is it about treasonous cocksuckers that makes them want to subvert our elections and travel to Cancun, bullshitters? 

Hey look on the bright side, bullshitters.  When he comes back from Cancun you can finally talk about someone coming into the US from Mexico who has actually participated in an attack on America, instead of just bullshitting one up. 

1 hour ago, hobie1616 said:

A former New York senate candidate stormed the Capitol, then asked friends to delete video evidence, feds say

Moments after Daniel Christmann climbed through an open window to get into the Capitol on Jan. 6, the former New York state senate candidate took out his phone to record the insurrection for his Instagram followers, prosecutors said.

That afternoon, Christmann walked around the building taking videos he posted to his @dannyforsenate account, according to a 19-page criminal complaint that was unsealed Wednesday.

In the following days, private messages obtained by federal authorities show Christmann bragged about participating in the riot, explaining to those messaging him on Instagram how he reached unauthorized areas.

When Christmann later became aware that authorities arrested two people he knew who were inside the Capitol on Jan. 6, he began reaching out to Facebook friends to ask them to delete any videos showing him on the grounds that day, prosecutors said.

“Please remove those videos,” Christmann wrote, according to a screenshot in the complaint. “My friend jake got taken in and my campaign manager from this summer got taken in. Its go time on the end of times.”

“Deleted,” one person, who is not identified in the complaint, replied.

Christmann, who now faces multiple charges over his alleged role in the deadly insurrection, did not immediately respond to messages from The Washington Post late Wednesday. Court records do not indicate who is representing him.

These clowns are so fuckin' stupid they think their stuff can be completely deleted once it's out there. :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

What is it about treasonous cocksuckers that makes them want to subvert our elections and travel to Cancun, bullshitters? 

Hey look on the bright side, bullshitters.  When he comes back from Cancun you can finally talk about someone coming into the US from Mexico who has actually participated in an attack on America, instead of just bullshitting one up. 

Sounds like a Canadian judge.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:
39 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Expand  

Expand  

Sounds like a Canadian judge.

Secret meeting with Ted Cruz?

Or a ploy to let them out of the country and then not let them back in?

- DSK

1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

What?  Going to jail sucks?  You don't say?  This guy is no different than any other dipshit bully...lots of tough guy talk but pull off the layers of flab and power lifting heft and he's just a big giant cry baby, snowflake pussy.  Gawdamn, you Rightwingnuts are idiots.

I want to know how his messages are getting out.  Are they allowing phones in jail now?   How about a selfie while on that very non-private shitter and a VR video of life in the slammer?

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Maybe storming the Capitol was a good idea.

Like most unions, the leaders have much the same character traits as politicians.  The good and the bad.  And the bigger you are, the more likely you are to protect your self-interest so you can keep that high profile job.

The irony in that article came when it stated Republicans, long-time union busters, strongly support the police union. 

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I wonder how many black people have been released for a trip to Cancun? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jules said:

Like most unions, the leaders have much the same character traits as politicians.  The good and the bad.  And the bigger you are, the more likely you are to protect your self-interest so you can keep that high profile job.

The irony in that article came when it stated Republicans, long-time union busters, strongly support the police union. 

I was forced into joining a union to keep my job.  There was an official union headquarters but all of the officials did most of their work from a bar around the corner.  Most were hammered by 10 AM daily.  Nice work if you can get it.

Judge Questioned If Capitol Rioters Are Getting Off Too Easy For "Terrorizing Members Of Congress"

WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Thursday pushed back on the government’s decision to ink deals in the Capitol riot cases that involve low-level misdemeanors, questioning whether that was appropriate for people involved in “terrorizing members of Congress.” 

The unusual exchange came during a plea hearing for Jack Jesse Griffith, who was charged solely with misdemeanor crimes for going into the Capitol on Jan. 6; he wasn’t accused of violence or property destruction. As Griffith prepared to plead guilty to one count of parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building — a class B misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of six months in jail — US District Chief Judge Beryl Howell asked the prosecutor to explain why Griffith’s deal involved a class of crime typically reserved for people who did things like trespass in a national park at night. 

“I'm just curious — does the government have any concern given the factual predicate at issue here, of the defendant joining a mob, breaking into the Capitol building through a broken door, wandering through the Capitol building and stopping a constitutionally mandated duty of the Congress and terrorizing members of Congress, the vice president, who had to be evacuated?” Howell asked. “Does the government, in agreeing to the petty offense in this case, have any concern about deterrence?” 

It was the second time this week that a judge questioned whether defendants charged in connection with Jan. 6 are getting off too lightly in plea deals, even if they’re not accused of more serious criminal activity, such as attacking police. On Tuesday, US District Judge Reggie Walton, one of Howell’s colleagues on the federal bench in Washington, DC, briefly pondered whether he should jail two defendants who signed a deal similar to Griffith’s, given their involvement in the “atrocious act” of storming the Capitol; he ultimately allowed them to go home until they’re sentenced in October. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/capitol-riot-jan-6-defendants-plea-deals-too-lenient 

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Judge Questioned If Capitol Rioters Are Getting Off Too Easy For "Terrorizing Members Of Congress"

WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Thursday pushed back on the government’s decision to ink deals in the Capitol riot cases that involve low-level misdemeanors, questioning whether that was appropriate for people involved in “terrorizing members of Congress.” 

The unusual exchange came during a plea hearing for Jack Jesse Griffith, who was charged solely with misdemeanor crimes for going into the Capitol on Jan. 6; he wasn’t accused of violence or property destruction. As Griffith prepared to plead guilty to one count of parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building — a class B misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of six months in jail — US District Chief Judge Beryl Howell asked the prosecutor to explain why Griffith’s deal involved a class of crime typically reserved for people who did things like trespass in a national park at night. 

“I'm just curious — does the government have any concern given the factual predicate at issue here, of the defendant joining a mob, breaking into the Capitol building through a broken door, wandering through the Capitol building and stopping a constitutionally mandated duty of the Congress and terrorizing members of Congress, the vice president, who had to be evacuated?” Howell asked. “Does the government, in agreeing to the petty offense in this case, have any concern about deterrence?” 

It was the second time this week that a judge questioned whether defendants charged in connection with Jan. 6 are getting off too lightly in plea deals, even if they’re not accused of more serious criminal activity, such as attacking police. On Tuesday, US District Judge Reggie Walton, one of Howell’s colleagues on the federal bench in Washington, DC, briefly pondered whether he should jail two defendants who signed a deal similar to Griffith’s, given their involvement in the “atrocious act” of storming the Capitol; he ultimately allowed them to go home until they’re sentenced in October. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/capitol-riot-jan-6-defendants-plea-deals-too-lenient 

Well, fuck... maybe one of the judges will suddenly remember that people died during the commission of these crimes, too

- DSK

20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, fuck... maybe one of the judges will suddenly remember that people died during the commission of these crimes, too

- DSK

Some of the judges might be thinking "wait a minute, what if they attack my courthouse?"

• Like 1

If the majority of the offenses committed are misdemeanors to start with, and then get pleaded (pled?) down to the equivalent of a slap on the wrist; it seems that this will simply encourage folks to storm the Capitol again.  Break into Congress, threaten members of the House/Senate, weapons of any kind involved; that’s a felony. 5 years minimum prison time and no country club prison either.

26 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

I’m happy to see the judge ask the question, it may cause some debate in the prosecutors offices. That said, federal sentencing law is clearly written and I don't see a way around that. There will be people paying serious prices for their actions, I look forward to many of those.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Look at who else had advance knowledge of 1/6. Pass the subpoenas please.

E7aig-GWYAATPoa.jpg

Stirring up nationalism across the world because when we all choose to be selfish bitches it is bliss.

41 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

221988346-10220140383803111-7440778886472836994-n.jpg

I’d imagine a summary execution against the nearest brick wall, no hearing, no defence, no pleading just a quickly administered bullet.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

whaddya know, bullshitters.  Another peaceful unarmed tourist backing the blue. 

Yes, they are getting off too easily. What would the punishment be for a Black Lives Matter protest participant?

11 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

I’d imagine a summary execution against the nearest brick wall, no hearing, no defence, no pleading just a quickly administered bullet.

Money saved is money earned.

9 hours ago, saxdog said:

Yes, they are getting off too easily. What would the punishment be for a Black Lives Matter protest participant?

This really is the elephant/donkey in the room. The drum circle just wants to "yeah, well whatabout ..."

Need some ideas fellas. Protest  is A-OK. Arson and looting, not so much. Color shouldn't be a factor but it is. Need some ideas fellas.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

This really is the elephant/donkey in the room. The drum circle just wants to "yeah, well whatabout ..."

Need some ideas fellas. Protest  is A-OK. Arson and looting, not so much. Color shouldn't be a factor but it is. Need some ideas fellas.

Dye everyone some shade of darkish brown before they start their peaceful "stop the steal" protests.

11 hours ago, saxdog said:

And look at Dan Hale's sentence . . . 

skin color and money affect how one is treated by the (in)justice system, 

but also don't forget political affiliations. 

They throw the book at peacenik lefties. 

Gouge out the eyes of 74 million Americans would be a good start? 

Check it out Bullshitters. Insurrectionist wants his phone back. In other news little boy on bicycle in “Better Off Dead” wants his two dollars. unfair. SO Unfair. 

5 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

The way forward is not to stare in the rearview mirror.

Benghazi !!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Sean said:
26 minutes ago, quod umbra said:

Benghazi !!!!!!!

"Time to heal..." does not make any sense while the tumour is still in the body. These RWNJ's are scared shitless of accountability.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, Sean said:
1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Benghazi !!!!!!!

"Time to heal..." does not make any sense while the tumour is still in the body. These RWNJ's are scared shitless of accountability.

That, plus they are determined to try again.... and again, if necessary.

- DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, Sean said:
1 hour ago, quod umbra said:

Benghazi !!!!!!!

Expand  

That, plus they are determined to try again.... and again, if necessary.

At which point, quod umbra and his elk will scream how not enough was done to prevent such a thing.

Or, he'll cheer at the success.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Dye everyone some shade of darkish brown before they start their peaceful "stop the steal" protests.

I keep expecting you to have a legitimate comment but it just never happens. Call me crazy.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

At which point, quod umbra and his elk will scream how not enough was done to prevent such a thing.

Or, he'll cheer at the success.

We demand all of our rats and don’t you’uns dare to try to saddle us with responsibilities. That about rat, bullshitters?

I keep expecting you to have a legitimate comment but it just never happens. Call me crazy.

You're crazy.

That help?:P

• Like 1

I did it all for the nookie
The nookie

Suckah!

‘Comically Minimal Ego-Stroking’: Inside The Bumble Takedown Of A Violent Capitol Rioter

Six months ago, on a cold Wednesday night, a 20-something communications professional in Washington, D.C., was watching a remarkable and disturbing scene unfold on her television screen.

Supporters of outgoing President Donald Trump, who believed online conspiracy theories and the president’s lies about a stolen election, had breached the U.S. Capitol in a brutally violent attack that police officers would later describe as “medieval.” They brought bats. They brought hockey sticks. They brought Molotov cocktails. They brought stun guns. They brought firearms. They brought pepper spray. At least one Trump fanatic was carrying a metal whip.

A citywide curfew was in place, and she could hear the helicopters hovering in the sky. Outside her window, “Claire” could see Trump supporters streaming back from the Capitol to a hotel near her home, carrying their flags and wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

“I was watching on the news and seeing everyone walk back,” Claire told HuffPost. “It felt kind of useless for me to be that close and not kind of do anything proactive about it.”

By that evening, before Congress had formally certified President Joe Biden’s win in the early morning hours of Jan. 7, the FBI was seeking information from the public. The bureau wanted Americans to identify the rioters.

“OK, fine,” Claire thought. “I will.”

Claire had put a pause on online dating during the coronavirus pandemic. But she decided to fire up Bumble. She’d had what she described as an “on-and-off relationship with Bumble” (she tended to prefer Hinge) but knew that Bumble would let her “endlessly scroll through these guys” based on location and political affiliation. 

She deleted a few photos that showed her doing “non-MAGA things” and “clearly liberal stuff”: that image of her in the pink pussy hat at the Women’s March wasn’t going to fly. She settled on a main profile image (it may have been a shot of her on a boat, or perhaps a photograph of her engaged in a “vanilla recreational activity” like visiting a brewery, she can’t quite recall). She turned on the “conservative” filter, and she got to swiping. For democracy.

Bumble is the dating app where “women always make the first move.” Over the course of the next few days, Claire made plenty of them. Like many singles in D.C., Claire has “almost always” passed on potential suitors who lived across the river in northern Virginia. Her MAGA alter-ego, on the other hand, didn’t have any reservations about bros located in Arlington and Alexandria. So when Andrew ― a 32-year-old from Houston who was located eight miles away in Alexandria ― popped up on her screen, Claire swiped right. 

“Hey how’s it going?” she wrote.

They got to chatting. She made small talk, and basically tried to get Andrew thinking they were on the same page. Eventually, Andrew told Claire he was at the Capitol.

“Were you near all the action?” she asked. “Yes,” he replied. “From the very beginning.”

When Andrew claimed he’d stopped “agitators” who “were clearly antifa people” during the attack, Claire stayed in character and kept pushing for more info.

“Wait wow they were in the crowd? That’s wild, how could you tell?” she asked. Andrew continued mansplaining his conspiracy theories about how undercover left-wingers had actually been responsible for the actions of the pro-Trump mob.

“Majority of the people attacking police and smashing windows were all antifa. They just threw on a Trump hat or shirt they bought on the street,” Andrew told Claire. “They have had this planned out for weeks.”

Andrew continued to open up, sending Claire an image of himself he said he’d taken about a half-hour before being “sprayed.” He was “just standing there” when an officer sprayed him, he claimed. 

Claire wanted to know whether Andrew had plans to return to D.C. to interrupt Biden’s inauguration, so she kept the conversation going. When Andrew proposed a video chat, she told him she was at a beer garden with friends. (She was not.)

Still in character, she suggested she could show him the beer garden if he returned. Andrew seemed open to it: He might be headed back to D.C. soon with other “Patriots ready and willing to head back.”

Claire had picked up a skill on dating apps that ended up being very helpful for finding insurrectionists. She knew how to take the limited amount of information disclosed in a dating app profile and connect it to a guy’s real identity. 

Andrew’s Bumble profile gave away plenty of details, including the name of the business he co-owned, so Claire didn’t have much trouble finding his full name — Andrew Taake — after searching around a bit on Facebook.

Claire estimates she chatted with about a dozen conservatives who attended Trump’s Jan. 6 rally. With the kind of “comically minimal ego-stroking” she used with Andrew, she says, she got three of them to admit they were unlawfully present on the grounds of the Capitol. She sent all three, including Andrew, to the FBI.

“I basically just asked, ‘Wow, crazy, tell me more’ on repeat until they gave me enough,” she said. “One of my friends was like, ’You basically got all these confessions just being, like, ‘Haha! Then what?’”

About three months after the Capitol attack, an FBI special agent from Texas got in touch with Claire. The female special agent (“Let the women do the work,” Claire joked) asked a bunch of questions that made it evident they were in somewhat new territory: Not many FBI cases involve dating app stings. “Clearly, it’s not a common scenario,” Claire said.

More than six months after Jan. 6, Claire was scrolling through Instagram over the weekend when she saw a headline: “Capitol attack suspect turned in by Bumble match.” The post included a familiar name: Andrew Taake. He’d been arrested in Houston on Friday, July 23. 

On Bumble, Taake had claimed that “antifa” was actually behind the violence at the Capitol. The video showed otherwise. The feds say Taake was caught on video pepper-spraying officers and attacking others with a metal whip.

Online sleuths who are part of the “sedition hunters” community would label Taake ― who was known as 257-AFO (Assault on Federal Officers) on the FBI’s Capitol wanted list ― as #MacerInBlack, and track his actions throughout the Jan. 6 attack. They’d separately identify him using a facial recognition website that turned up mugshots from his prior arrests.

But Claire’s work on Bumble in the immediate aftermath of Jan. 6 had already given the FBI a way to build the case unveiled last week.

One “sedition hunter” told HuffPost that arrests like Taake’s are “very comforting” because they make the community realize they are not operating in a “black hole,” even if the FBI takes longer than they would like to make an arrest. 

“It gives us hope that all of these other people who have yet to be arrested have been IDed by other people,” the person said.

Claire has been around D.C. for a few years now, so she was perhaps more jaded than most Americans about how long the process would take, given how much information was being sent to the FBI. 

“I had read they were drowning in tips,” she said. “I kind of expected, as a federal entity, that it would move a little bit slower ... I figured it was going to be a lot of red tape and bureaucracy.”

Women on dating apps in D.C. got to work after the Jan. 6 attack, as several media outlets covered at the time. (“Honestly all the girls in DC bragging about being better than the FBI at tracking down guys better step it up right now,” read one post on the popular Instagram account Overheard District, which also posted about “catfishing the Trump supporting insurrectionists on dating apps.”)

And Taake isn’t the first Jan. 6 defendant arrested off of a Bumble tip: Another dating app user told Robert Chapman “We are not a match” before turning him in to the FBI. But Taake certainly is the most violent defendant caught off of a Bumble tip to date.

“It definitely does feel like it’s kind of a team sport,” Claire said. “It was something that I literally just did alone in my apartment, but also it feels not like an isolated incident. It feels like a drop in a larger bucket.”

Several of Claire’s potential targets didn’t fully take the bait. One, who said he was on a metro train back to Arlington when the Capitol attack unfolded, seemed to catch on to what Claire was up to. “Also, for clarity up front, your profile says conservative, is that genuine?” Greg wrote. “It’s simply pretty rare in this area, that’s why I ask :).”

But many of those she spoke with were happy to talk about conspiracy theories and how they believed the election was stolen.

“A couple of guys were parroting election fraud talking points that were very on-brand for the MAGA rally,” she said. “They wanted to regurgitate a lot of these ideas to somebody, and I seemed like a willing participant. It didn’t take a lot of arm twisting to get them to start talking about it.”

Taake does not have a court date set in D.C., and there’s no attorney listed on his court docket. But federal Magistrate Judge Christina A. Bryan of the Southern District of Texas had him remanded into custody.

So Taake will be coming back to D.C. after all — in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

• Like 2

Yes, women on social media do it for the Aussies!

10 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A real patriot.

And smart.

I want that girl to have my baby. :D

She would have your wife tracked down, and informed of your intentions before you even ordered the first beer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A real patriot.

And smart.

I want that girl to have my baby. :D

She would have your wife tracked down, and informed of your intentions before you even ordered the first beer.

Now that she's retired, Mrs Steam thinks babies are adorable. We have some new grand-nieces that she is dotty over. And I'm sure she would agree "Claire is a smart, capable, patriotic, young woman who is deserving being a mother of The Future Of America. Not sure how to make the next few dots, though.

- DSK

8 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

No one explains that a pencil is a pencil.  Why would anyone call you crazy?

9 hours ago, hasher said:

No one explains that a pencil is a pencil.  Why would anyone call you crazy?

I can smell the irony all the way over here. 

Wrong, Bigo Bullshitter. I’m sure you would like to bullshit the focus away from you, but I assure you that in the room where people take the oath to tell the truth, it will be all about you and your violations of the law. Insurrecting is hard, isn’t it Bulldefacators?

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Wrong, Bigo Bullshitter. I’m sure you would like to bullshit the focus away from you, but I assure you that in the room where people take the oath to tell the truth, it will be all about you and your violations of the law. Insurrecting is hard, isn’t it Bulldefacators?

According to him, what IS it about?

Yup, they see themselves as patriots apparently. Patriots who sought to subvert the constitution because the entity to whom they give their allegiance lost an election. 

In other news, some bullshitter whack a mole. 
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jul/30/instagram-posts/no-dc-officer-michael-fanone-isnt-man-who-stormed-/

Bullshitters need love too.

A lawyer hoped history books would help her Capitol riot clients grow. She was called a traitor — and worse.

Defense attorney Heather Shaner said her first client from Jan. 6 wanted to invoke “the Constitution from 1776.″ When she tried to explain that the document was ratified years later, the man told her he had done his research and she was incorrect.

In the very beginning, Shaner couldn’t imagine representing anyone involved in the riot. She said she cried all day as she watched the insurrection unfold, stunned by the scene playing out just miles from her home.

When the broadcast networks showed D.C. police officer Daniel Hodges being smashed against a door, she felt she was being crushed, too.

But as the demand for public counsel grew, the Criminal Justice Act panel attorney softened her original terms: She would only defend people who didn’t hurt a police officer.

Shaner is charged with the defense of a handful of people who entered the Capitol on Jan. 6. Though she’s not assigning her clients homework, she is encouraging them to read about history and write what they’ve learned. She wants to help them learn about the past to better understand their place in it.

Critics of her methods don’t think a civics lesson can change an insurrectionist — or they think she’s putting her clients through a reeducation program. She’s been called a traitor, Nazi, communist and worse.

But before the flurry of court cases and charges and debates over repeating the past, Shaner was sitting at her neighbor’s house, transfixed as footage of the riot played over and over.

It felt like 9/11, she said. She couldn’t look away.

The front window of the 74-year-old’s Dupont Circle home and office, where she has lived since it was a group home decades ago, is adorned with a sign that reads “DISARM HATE.” When she moved in, she paid $110 a month to rent the house’s tiniest room.

Large lettering on the roof reads, “NO BAN NO WALL NO WAR,” which she said her husband painted for President Donald Trump to see from his helicopter.

When Shaner took a handful of cases from the insurrection, she did what she thinks every good defense attorney does: found the humanity in her clients.

“What happens is when you’re watching television on January the 6th, they’re monsters,” she said. “Then when you get assigned them, potentially they’re human beings. And then as you get to know them and work with them, you see all the mitigating influences.”

Among Shaner’s clients are: a camouflage-clad family that road-tripped to Washington, a man with American flag-inspired hair and the woman who was the first person sentenced from the riot.

Shaner said many of her clients are victims of misinformation and lack of information, and some of them are learning from the upheaval they participated in.

“People came for a whole lot of different reasons,” she said. “None of them based on understanding factually what was happening in the Capitol that day.”

Shaner has told all of her Jan. 6 clients, except the family she was just assigned, to read books and go back to school. If they took a class or read a book, she asked them to send their grades or a report.

She sent everyone a link to the Constitution and free online civics courses and asked them to let her know if they wanted a list of books and movies about history.

The list was fluid. She would suggest some titles to one person, add more as she thought of them and then pass the list along to someone else — if they were interested.

Shaner said she included options such as “Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee,” “Just Mercy” and “Schindler’s List” to offer a base of historical knowledge.

She said the reports might not help at sentencing, but they couldn’t hurt.

But many have the question CNN’s John Berman asked Shaner on air: “As my grandmother used to say, ‘Schindler’s List’ and ‘Just Mercy,’ what does that have to do with the price of fish in Russia? What does that matter here?”

Shaner is not a traditional attorney. She does not wear suits to court, favoring tunics and interesting handmade jewelry. She hugs prosecutors and judges.

As one former federal prosecutor who argued against Shaner put it, she’s “the one attorney who’s a grandmother with purple hair who appears in court regularly.”

“Heather is petite in stature and enormous in spirit, and nothing will deter her continuing what she’s doing,” Christopher Macchiaroli said.

She meets with clients at her house and has given them clothes from her closet. She says she babysits their children, if they need it. She sends them money. She lets them sleep on her couch when they don’t have anywhere to go.

She’s one-of-a-kind, friends and colleagues say, and a fixture of the D.C. courts.

“Most of the prosecutors and the judges know that when her name is on the calendar representing somebody, that person is well represented,” said Thomas Crossley, an investigator who’s known Shaner for decades. “And that she is going to do everything possible to defend her client.”

Shaner’s reading-and-watching list method — which The Indianapolis Star reported on in late June — seemed unconventional to the public, but not to her. She’s been giving her clients books and other materials for decades.

She’s sent them dictionaries, novels, poetry and more. She’s asked judges to grant them permission to have reading glasses. Education, to her, is paramount.

Books hold power, Shaner said. It’s like the message of the Magic Tree House series, which her granddaughter enjoyed: Books can transport you away from your circumstances. She’d seen it firsthand.

During her first job out of college, where she said she watched over abused and neglected children, she would stay late and sit in the facility’s bathroom to read to two particularly bright boys. They learned quickly, she said.

In her next job working with incarcerated youth in Pennsylvania, Shaner recalled meeting a whip-smart boy nicknamed Tweety Bird. With her help, he learned to read, and eventually Shaner said she contacted his father and convinced him to “take an interest.”

“It was kindness and love, but it was also books,” she said.

Kim, a former client who asked to be identified only by her first name to protect her privacy, was in a bad place and struggling with drug abuse when she met Shaner. She said the lawyer helped her find treatment, gave her literature to learn about addiction and was always there to talk to her — not just as a client, but as a person.

Shaner believes in making the world a better place with knowledge, Kim said. She wasn’t surprised to hear about the book reports.

Barbara McQuade, a professor of law at the University of Michigan and former U.S. attorney, called Shaner’s book report idea “novel.” She said it makes sense when you think about what judges consider during sentencing: Will this person commit a crime again? Have they been rehabilitated?

“This isn’t a gimmick,” Macchiaroli said. “This isn’t like putting glasses on a defendant to make him look more studious.”

An attorney representing another Jan. 6 defendant denigrated Shaner’s education-focused method when arguing his client couldn’t get a fair trial in D.C. The assumption that one of her clients is a “bigot” for supporting Trump “is beyond outrageous, yet typifies the attitude of many District residents,” he wrote. Shaner had not called her client a bigot.

Lawyers, pundits and critics from both sides of the aisle have attacked Shaner’s educational approach, though she said she’s heard from many more on the right than the left. On the right, she’s been accused of forcing her client into a reeducation program. On the left, she’s been lambasted for arguing a “traitor” has grown.

Shaner has represented people involved with convicted Mexican drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán and multiple murderers and defendants in other high-profile cases. She gave them books, too, she said. But she had never received hateful emails or phone calls until now.

In the worst of the messages, Shaner either gets called a Nazi, communist or something profane, she said. Either she’s force-feeding her clients propaganda or defending the indefensible.

In one message left on her home phone, the speaker’s voice crackles a little.

“I don’t care if she was there for 10 seconds or 10 years,” they say. “Read “Schindler’s List” and then you’re a good person? Bulls---. She was a traitor, and you’re a traitor for representing her. You are disgusting. You should be suspended. I don’t know why you’re even allowed to practice law. You shouldn’t be. No one should be representing traitors to this country. You are disgusting.”

Shaner’s niece, Rachel Pinkerton, said she’s worried the publicity around the Capitol riot cases could put her aunt in danger. She’s been worried about her before, but said the hateful messages are new and frightening.

But Shaner said it’s just part of the job. Her husband, Phil Palmer, said they refuse to live in fear.

Shaner wants to make a difference for her clients and country. If there’s healing and learning to be done, she hopes to be a part of it.

“She does it because that’s who she is, through and through,” Palmer said. “Every fiber in her body is made out of justice.”

Hate mail aside, Shaner has also received several supportive messages. A librarian contacted her to ask about finding a way to get more books into the jails. A retired prosecutor in Alaska called to praise her. Lawyers and friends from over the years have reached out, too.

A family charged in relation to the riot got in touch after reading about Shaner and asked her to represent them, she said. They thought she would treat them fairly.

Though there’s no way to measure the effectiveness of Shaner’s push to educate her clients, she’s confident some of them have grown.

Anna Lloyd, an Indiana grandmother who was the first person sentenced on Capitol riot charges, initially called Jan. 6 the “best day of my life.” She had been inside the Capitol for about 10 minutes, prosecutors said, and did not contribute to any violence or theft.

Lloyd later wrote about books and movies opening her eyes to injustice and apologized for her involvement. She continues to support Trump, who has repeatedly downplayed the riot.

Shaner said Lloyd has taken it upon herself to continue her education. She watches documentaries on the History Channel, Shaner said, and got a library card.

Another woman Shaner is representing from Jan. 6 changed her voter registration from Republican to Democrat, the lawyer said, and is going back to school to study political science. She was horrified watching the House select committee’s first hearings investigating the attack, Shaner said.

Shaner believes the women’s regret is sincere. She believes they’ve learned from their mistakes. And she believes reading books, while not fully responsible for that change, surely didn’t hurt.

“They change themselves, and that’s a voluntary process,” Shaner said. “Even if I wanted to, I couldn’t force anybody. People change, but you can only give them the opportunity to change and the tools. You can’t obligate anybody to change their ideas.”

15 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I can smell the irony all the way over here. 

You might say the pot calling the kettle black.  There was no irony.  When you graduate beyond four letter words you need to consult a dictionary.

Former RNC chairman to Jim Jordan on Jan. 6: 'You know, b****, what time you called the president'

Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele called Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan a "son of a b****" for his recent remarks that he wasn't certain whether he spoke to former President Donald Trump on Jan. 6. 

The former RNC chairman, a frequent critic of the former president, expressed disbelief that Jordan would be uncertain of the details of his conversation with Trump surrounding the events of Jan. 6.

"I can tell you the time, the place, the date of every conversation I've had with every president of this country, period," Steele said during a Thursday livestream for the Lincoln Project, a group of current and former Republican operatives who oppose Trump. "Going back to Bill Clinton, I can tell you where I was. I can tell you what was said. This son of a b**** is sitting up there acting like, 'Well, I don't know if it was before. I don't know if it was after. Oh, lordy, Jesus, I don't remember. I got to look at my notes.' You know, b****, what time you called the president, and you know what you said."

Steele then compared Jordan, who's a "grown a** man," to a 10-year-old who "got caught masturbating by [his] mama." 

"Stop it," he advised Jordan.

Rudy Giuliani Says He's 'More Than Willing To Go To Jail' But Did Nothing Wrong

NBC New York’s Melissa Russo interviewed former NYC mayor and former Donald Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani this week, and in very on-brand fashion the outspoken attorney made multiple startling declarations. Of particular note, and sure to be meme’d for all time, Giuliani said that he is “more than willing to go to jail” should it come to that. 

Giuliani spoke with Russo at length about the investigations into his and his former client’s activities, and specifically the federal probe into his dealings in Ukraine. 

On that subject, he maintains absolute innocence, and said rather grandiosely that, should he be punished, those enact it will “suffer the consequences in heaven.” 

“I committed no crime, and if you think I committed a crime, you’re probably really stupid, because you don’t know who I am,” Giuliani told NBC. “Is the guy who put the mafia in jail, terrorists in jail, Ed Koch’s commissioners in jail, and the worst people on Wall Street — I’m not going to file (a form)? I mean, that’s just crazy.” 

“I am more than willing to go to jail if they want to put me in jail,” he said at one point. “And if they do, they’re going to suffer the consequences in heaven. I’m not, I didn’t do anything wrong.” 

“Why are you willing to go to jail if you feel that you’re innocent,” Russo asked. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rudy-giuliani-says-he-s-more-than-willing-to-go-to-jail-but-did-nothing-wrong-in-amazing-interview-with-nbc-new-york/ar-AAMNn3D

46 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

“I am more than willing to go to jail if they want to put me in jail,” he said at one point. “And if they do, they’re going to suffer the consequences in heaven. I’m not, I didn’t do anything wrong.” 

“Why are you willing to go to jail if you feel that you’re innocent,” Russo asked. 

More insanity.

If he has to go to jail, his willingness is not required.

EDIT: Is the inability to recognise reality, a sign of a mental health problem?  Is there a collective mental health problem across these people.  Is it crazy to tell recognisable bullshit and expect people to accept it?

3 minutes ago, random. said:

More insanity.

If he has to go to jail, his willingness is not required.

It's all BS, he he's just laying a carpet of crap so they won't look at the facts. It won't work. The jury comes back with a guilty verdict in minutes on this one.

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

It's all BS, he he's just laying a carpet of crap so they won't look at the facts. It won't work. The jury comes back with a guilty verdict in minutes on this one.

So his spin on it is ... he is willing to go to jail and other people will suffer the consequences.

That is insane, it's not just bullshit, he's insane.

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

That’s gonna require a third Borat moviefilm.