Maybe Storming The Capitol Wasn't Such A Good Idea

I have to imagine they have a timeline in mind.  First, get answers from those lower on the list.  Of course, you ask questions to which you already know the answers.  Catch one in a lie and nail them with a Perjury charge.  That should send a strong message.  Work your way up, gathering corroborating statements from those who were there.

THEN, call in The Former Guy and grill him.  I predict a storm of "I don't recall".  By then, the evidence is laid bare and he should be charged by the DOJ.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks take great pride in their ignorance and go out of their way to flaunt it, even to exaggerate it. They like to show it off like they are wearing a lair of the latest Air Jordans. I don't get

You are talking about folks that were taking selfies, some with their company IDs hanging from their necks. Burner phones to cover their tracks?  I'm surprised they didn't order delivered pizzas

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I have to imagine they have a timeline in mind.  First, get answers from those lower on the list.  Of course, you ask questions to which you already know the answers.  Catch one in a lie and nail them with a Perjury charge.  That should send a strong message.  Work your way up, gathering corroborating statements from those who were there.

THEN, call in The Former Guy and grill him.  I predict a storm of "I don't recall".  By then, the evidence is laid bare and he should be charged by the DOJ.

I expect Trump to refuse a subpoena, then depend on DeSantis to block extradition. DeSantis may have other plans depending on how his campaign is going. It will be a lot of fun to watch, especially when US Marshalls go to pick Trump up.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I expect Trump to refuse a subpoena, then depend on DeSantis to block extradition. DeSantis may have other plans depending on how his campaign is going. It will be a lot of fun to watch, especially when US Marshalls go to pick Trump up.

I would expect the same regarding as refusal to appear.  He has absolutely nothing to gain (every claim and every allegation lacks any credibility or evidence) and everything to lose (they will have sworn testimony implicating him).

Evading questions is worse than invoking your 5th Amendment protection.  At that point, this tape should be played in a loop.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I would expect the same regarding as refusal to appear.  He has absolutely nothing to gain (every claim and every allegation lacks any credibility or evidence) and everything to lose (they will have sworn testimony implicating him).

Evading questions is worse than invoking your 5th Amendment protection.  At that point, this tape should be played in a loop.

I hope more than anything that you are spot on about this.

34 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

The problem with this is they may have little time to get any of this done with the mid terms coming up.  Lose the house and this all goes away and we get a Trump in 2024.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

I expect the evaders will be surprised at how seriously the committee will take this, and how disappointed that they listened to Trump.

I hate having hope cause I am constantly disappointed with democrats not having any teeth in their threats.  I hope this is different.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, MauiPunter said:

I hate having hope cause I am constantly disappointed with democrats not having any teeth in their threats.  I hope this is different.

Agreed.  If they fail to follow through, that will be it for our country, I fear.  

• Like 2

I have a horrible feeling that referring people to Garland's DOJ or Wray's FBI is pretty much pointless. They are both in the Federalist Society along with many in Trumpland, such as the 3 Trump SCOTUS insults. I predict that they will drag this out until the GQP takes over the house in the midterms and shuts down the 1/6 committee. By design.

25 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I have a horrible feeling that referring people to Garland's DOJ or Wray's FBI is pretty much pointless. They are both in the Federalist Society along with many in Trumpland, such as the 3 Trump SCOTUS insults. I predict that they will drag this out until the GQP takes over the house in the midterms and shuts down the 1/6 committee. By design.

With all due respect, F#*K YOU!   Remember, I said "with all due respect".

In case you missed it:

Jan. 6 Was Worse Than We Knew

Source: NYT Editorial Board.

Spoiler: Mr. Trump may never stop trying to undermine American democracy. Those who value that democracy should never stop using every measure at their disposal to protect it.

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I just couldn't "like" this but I think it's evident that the Rs have had a plan that Trunt fit right in to, doubtless inadvertently. 

Poor baby...

US Capitol rioter who downplayed the attack is sentenced to three months in jail

A federal judge on Friday sentenced one of the US Capitol rioters to three months in jail, saying that the punishment should be a warning to other defendants that they deserve incarceration if they deflect responsibility or downplay the attack.

"It has become evident to me in the riot cases that many of the defendants who are pleading guilty are not truly accepting responsibility," District Judge Thomas Hogan said.

"They seem to me to be trying to get this out of the way as quickly and as inexpensively as possible -- stating whatever they have to say in the guilty plea, getting probation, and hoping that would be the end of it," he added.

Hogan said that defendants who claimed they didn't realize the severity of the riot are "trying to escape responsibility," and that "other participants in that riot who are guilty of an infraction... can expect to receive jail time."

His comments came during the sentencing for Robert Reeder, of Maryland, who pleaded guilty in June to unlawfully demonstrating inside the Capitol. Hogan sentenced Reeder to three months in jail, and ordered that Reeder pay $500 for damages to the Capitol complex.

"I am embarrassed. I am in shame," Reeder said. "The hurt that I have caused to other people, not just to myself ... has left a permanent stain on me, society, the country, and I don't want to be ever remembered for being part of that crowd. I accept full responsibility for being there. I want you to know that it was not only a mistake, but the biggest mistake of my life. I wish I had a chance to take it back and redeem myself."

Reeder said that his son "doesn't want to go to school anymore because he has been humiliated, embarrassed, bullied," and that his family is "ashamed because they share the same name."

"I am a good man. I am," Reeder said.

Sure ya are.

• Like 1

There's no atheists in foxholes, and very few unremorseful, unrepentant, criminals (or insurrectionists) standing in front of a judge... they're SO-O sorry, they truly wish they'd never done it, blah blah blah.

Fuck 'em, I'd sentence them to what any accomplice to 3rd degree murder would get. I bet it's more than 3 months, which is also a lot less than it's taken some of the DC cops to recover from their injuries.

- DSK

• Like 1

Reeder got off light, in my humble opinion. If I were the judge, I would have sentenced him to 3 years of cleaning the toilets in the capitol building, every day 3 times a day. The amount of shit he'd scrub off those porcelain bowls might make him think about what goes in, comes out.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Reeder got off light, in my humble opinion. If I were the judge, I would have sentenced him to 3 years of cleaning the toilets in the capitol building, every day 3 times a day. The amount of shit he'd scrub off those porcelain bowls might make him think about what goes in, comes out.

If the members knew who was cleaning them they'd probably stop flushing.

Capitol Rioter Decides to Represent Himself in Court, Accidentally Admits to Two New Felonies

Capitol Rioter Decides to Represent Himself in Court, Accidentally Admits to Two New Felonies 
BADLY MISJUDGED 
Jamie Ross 
News Correspondent 
Published Oct. 13, 2021 6:14AM ET 

A Capitol rioter who allegedly smoked weed in a senator’s office on Jan. 6 decided to represent himself in court on Tuesday—and it went exactly as badly as could have been expected. Washington, D.C. news network WUSA reports that the wild hearing opened with a judge advising Brandon Fellows against representing himself, but he ignored that warning and went on to bolster the case against him by admitting to two new felonies. “Most people do not do this,” U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden reportedly told Fellows. “I do not think this is a good idea… but I’m going to allow you to take the stand, if you wish.” Assistant U.S. Attorney Mona Furst reportedly got Fellows to admit that he gained access to the Capitol through a broken window, and that he tried to get a previous judge removed from the case using the judge’s wife’s contact information. At the end of the hearing, McFadden ordered Fellows back into custody and told him: “You’ve admitted to incredible lapses of judgment here on the stand, not least of which was seeking to disqualify a New York state judge.”
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

BADLY MISJUDGED 
Jamie Ross 
News Correspondent 

A Capitol rioter who allegedly smoked weed in a senator’s office on Jan. 6 decided to represent himself in court on Tuesday—and it went exactly as badly as could have been expected. Washington, D.C. news network WUSA reports that the wild hearing opened with a judge advising Brandon Fellows against representing himself, but he ignored that warning and went on to bolster the case against him by admitting to two new felonies. “Most people do not do this,” U.S. District Judge Trevor McFadden reportedly told Fellows. “I do not think this is a good idea… but I’m going to allow you to take the stand, if you wish.” Assistant U.S. Attorney Mona Furst reportedly got Fellows to admit that he gained access to the Capitol through a broken window, and that he tried to get a previous judge removed from the case using the judge’s wife’s contact information. At the end of the hearing, McFadden ordered Fellows back into custody and told him: “You’ve admitted to incredible lapses of judgment here on the stand, not least of which was seeking to disqualify a New York state judge.”

When The Former Guy sent people to the Capitol, he didn't send their best.

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Hopefully, the best would have told TFG to shove it up his ample ass.

2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

BADLY MISJUDGED 
Jamie Ross 
News Correspondent 

Well, he certainly had a fool for a client.

13 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

By what standard? I'm mean... We are talking about a big shed and ALL the tools in it are dull.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Might we hope for the dreaded back-handed double wrist slap ?? 

If he was a TFG evangelical we should hope he would turn the other cheek.

I’m thinking his desire to represent himself will result in a spreading of cheeks for the gen pop courtesy of a judge that doesn’t like his friends on the bench being subject to efforts at disqualification.

That would be a line no lawyer would cross,  well except for nut jobs like Lin Wood, but hey he’s still a lawyer……

Law enforcement's use of force against Jan. 6 conspiracy suspects draws heat — and credit

FBI agents had just found a cache of firearms during a search at the Nashville home of Eric Munchel — the body-armor-clad Capitol rioter famously photographed carrying zip ties in the Senate chamber on Jan. 6 — when the bureau issued a consequential warning.

The FBI warned that police departments seeking to detain Jan. 6 suspects should “exercise caution and consider use of SWAT when affecting the arrest of individuals who displayed body armor or other armament during criminal activity conducted at the US Capitol.”

The bulletin went out to the FBI’s law enforcement partners around the country on Jan. 10, the day of Munchel’s arrest, according to previously undisclosed materials POLITICO reviewed. It featured a picture of more than a dozen weapons spread across a table. Property of the People, a transparency nonprofit, obtained the bulletin through an open records request. 

And many officers arresting Jan. 6 suspects appear to have taken the FBI’s recommendation seriously. In case after case against those seen wearing tactical gear during the insurrection, law enforcement has taken a heavily militarized approach to raids and arrests. Prosecutors say such tactics are necessary when arresting many of the Trump backers who participated in the assault on the Capitol — about five of whom, so far, are facing firearms-related charges.

Defense attorneys for some of those charged have criticized the use of militarized arrest tactics toward Jan. 6 defendants. But most condemnation of the FBI’s approach has come from defendants and their family members outside of the courtroom, often in friendly publications that have done little to challenge claims that alleged insurrectionists were unfairly targeted by overly aggressive law enforcement.

And Trump supporters’ challenge when talking about the use of SWAT against rioters is reminiscent of what House Republicans faced this summer when 21 of them voted against giving a Congressional Gold Medal to Jan. 6 law enforcement: They’re trying to rhetorically “Back the Blue” while decrying its treatment of their ideological allies.

Meanwhile, critics of excessive SWAT raids in general told POLITICO that it’s reasonable for law enforcement to use them in Jan. 6 cases. Current and former law enforcement officials say the raids are essential when arresting people connected to attacks on police. 

Frank Figliuzzi, the FBI’s former assistant director for counterintelligence, said in an interview that many Jan. 6 arrests have been “tactical” — conducted by specially trained officers wearing body armor and prepared to face armed resistance.

“My contacts tell me many of these are being treated as tactical arrests because they feel the groups and individuals involved, combined with the evidence already discovered, merits a high level of risk for these arrests,” he said. 

Suspects’ potential membership in extremist groups also shapes the FBI’s decisions on how to arrest them, Figliuzzi added.

An FBI spokesperson declined to comment on the ongoing investigations. Defendants in nearly every one of the most serious Jan. 6 cases have pleaded not guilty, although prosecutors are engaged in discussions with many of them about possible plea deals. Several defendants in the Oath Keepers conspiracy case, for example, have pleaded guilty and entered into cooperation deals with the government.

The latest such raid emerged over the weekend, when an attorney for Zachary Rehl — a leader of the far right Proud Boys charged with conspiracy related to Jan. 6 — revealed that a group of militarized law enforcement officers raided the home of one of his close friends. 

The attorney estimated that about 20 agents in riot gear arrived at the home of Rehl’s friend, Aaron Whallon-Wolkind, before dawn on Friday morning with an armored personnel carrier and a fifteen-foot battering ram. They handcuffed his girlfriend and seized his personal devices, the attorney added in a court filing that said the raid must be connected to Rehl because Whallon-Wolkind, also affiliated with the Proud Boys, has not been charged with any crimes.

Rehl was hardly the first Jan. 6 defendant to face a militarized arrest. Guy Reffitt, who boasted of donning “full battle rattle” at the Capitol, was reportedly raided by a SWAT team on Jan. 16. Thomas Caldwell, accused by DOJ of conspiring with members of the extremist Oath Keepers militia to plan the riot, has described his arrest by a full SWAT team with armored vehicles and a battering ram outside his door. 

An attorney for Ethan Nordean, another Proud Boys leader charged in connection with Jan. 6, has alleged that his wife was swept up in excessive police use of force: “On February 3, Nordean was arrested in his home state of Washington on a criminal complaint charging him with one or two felonies ... his wife was awoken by flash bangs thrown into Nordean’s home by a large FBI SWAT team,” Nordean’s attorney Nick Smith wrote in a court filing seeking his release from custody earlier this year. 

“They pointed assault rifles at her Handcuffed, she was detained for approximately five hours and questioned without being Mirandized," the attorney continued. "Nordean, 30, has no criminal history.”

In an interview with the pro-Trump outlet American Greatness, Caldwell also decried police tactics during his arrests, saying agents forced him and his wife out of their house partially dressed and aimed guns at them. 

“People who looked like stormtroopers were pointing M4 weapons at me, covering me with red [laser] dots,” he said. 

But experts said militarized tactics are sometimes necessary. David Sklansky, the co-director of Stanford Law School’s Criminal Justice Center and a critic of excessive SWAT use, said in an interview that the Jan. 6 attack is unique. 

The FBI’s Jan. 10 recommendation to weigh SWAT teams for the arrest of people who used tactical gear during the insurrection “doesn’t strike me as particularly troubling,” Sklansky said. “That strikes me as an instance when it would make sense for police to be worried about their safety and think that they might need to use special equipment or tactics in executing the arrest safely.”

The most notorious militarized police raid in recent memory came on March 13, 2020, when police in Louisville, Ky. entered Breonna Taylor’s home using a battering ram, then shot and killed her. Police conducted that raid even though Taylor had no history of violence, and the Louisville Courier-Journal has reported that police didn’t believe she had a gun. Her killing generated a massive outpouring of calls to close the gaping racial disparities in America’s criminal justice system.

No police officer was charged with her killing, though one was charged with wanton endangerment for allegedly firing his gun blindly during the raid. 

Paul Butler, a professor at Georgetown University Law Center, noted that Taylor’s death also bolstered the case for reforming how law enforcement officers execute search warrants.

“Ironically — although I doubt that many of the insurrectionists are activists for police reform — some of the reforms that have been proposed would have made a difference in their cases if they were implemented,” he said. “What reforming the police recognizes is that more oversight reduces the violence and trauma that aggressive police tactics cause.”

But Butler also added that SWAT teams exist in part to arrest heavily armed people who could endanger police — and that many of the Jan. 6 attackers precisely fit that description. 

“The reality is that some suspects pose a great risk of violence and it makes sense for officers to want to protect themselves,” he continued. 

The Justice Department estimates that 1,000 assaults were committed that day, and there’s increasing evidence that some of the rioters carried guns with them into Washington or stashed them nearby for a potential escalation of violence. Prosecutors say more than a dozen members of the Oath Keepers extremist militia stashed guns in a hotel in Arlington, Va., that they intended to deploy if the riot spiraled even further.

Many of those arrested have been released on the condition that they remove any firearms from their homes.

Ryan Shapiro, head of Property of the People, said conservative criticism of Jan. 6 arrests smacks of hypocrisy. 

“The right cheered” the use of aggressive tactics against progressive protesters, Shapiro said in an interview. “Yet now conservatives cry ‘brutality’ when the state gives the kid-glove treatment to participants of a literal attempted fascist coup. Born of cynicism, entitlement, and delusion, the right-wing persecution complex would be laughable if it wasn’t a key instrument for the dismantling of democracy.”

• Like 2

Where were these folks on 1/6/21? On the other side? This is what you see when Americans have a rally to protest the killing of minorities by police.

BLM vs Capitol protests: This was the police response when it was Black  protesters on DC streets last year - CNN

44 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

Born of cynicism, entitlement, and delusion, the right-wing persecution complex would be laughable if it wasn’t a key instrument for the dismantling of democracy.

An excellent closing sentence to a well written article.  Thanks, Hobie1616.

15 minutes ago, Bugsy said:
1 hour ago, hobie1616 said:

Born of cynicism, entitlement, and delusion, the right-wing persecution complex would be laughable if it wasn’t a key instrument for the dismantling of democracy.

An excellent closing sentence to a well written article.  Thanks, Hobie1616.

Yes, thanks from here too. I forwarded that article to a number of people.

It's pretty clear that the mainstream Republican Party is committed to taking over the country, by force if necessary. 

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

It's pretty clear that the mainstream Republican Party is committed to taking over the country, by force if necessary. 

- DSK

Rush was an entertainer. Nobody took him seriously. 

Whoops. 

11 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

- DSK

Fake news this morning was showing several congressman, including  one from your fair state (which I will be hopefully visiting for some sailing next week), calling for civil war.   

2 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Fake news this morning was showing several congressman, including  one from your fair state (which I will be hopefully visiting for some sailing next week), calling for civil war.   

We’ve been in a civil war for some time, it’s just that only one side has been waging it and with a few exceptions it has remained a cold one. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Which flag did they honor ?? 

The Nazi one, I presume. 

Riot images of Confederate flag in Capitol a reminder of past terror

45 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

245615318_4707694435927614_4118266632754

Insurrections have consequences.

AFAIAC he should have been dead on the 6th.

59 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Tough shit. Sometimes there are consequences.

But he's a white male who believes TFG won the election! 

I'm sure there's a place for him with the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers or any of those other loyal patriots of TFG.

19 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He probably thought this was going to be like the last scene in Animal House and he'd be Flounder

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Jules said:

He probably thought this was going to be like the last scene in Animal House and he'd be Flounder

What?

Fat, drunk and stupid?

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Tough shit. Sometimes there are consequences.

The gospel according to Aretha:

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Playing the beast with two backs in a prison shower block for a few years is a more fitting punishment IMHO.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Playing the beast with two backs in a prison shower block for a few years is a more fitting punishment IMHO.

Ummm... I don't think that beast has two backs there.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mike G said:

This is not a surprise. Anyone watching the events of that day unfold on TV in real time saw some Capitol police officers, not all, pulling the barriers open and moving them out of the way. 

34 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

This is not a surprise. Anyone watching the events of that day unfold on TV in real time saw some Capitol police officers, not all, pulling the barriers open and moving them out of the way. 

What I didn't see was the hugging and kissing.

'I'm So Stupid': MAGA Fan Who Attacked Officer Mike Fanone Called Himself A 'Piece Of S**t'

“I’m not smart.”

“I’m so stupid.”

“I’m an asshole.”

“I’m a piece of shit.”

Daniel “D.J.” Rodriguez, the Donald Trump fanatic who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and was arrested for electroshocking D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Mike Fanone a month after he was identified in a HuffPost story, spilled his guts to the FBI after his arrest, repeatedly crying as he told special agents he was a “fucking piece of shit” and worried that his “mom’s going to find out” what he did.

19 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:

'I'm So Stupid': MAGA Fan Who Attacked Officer Mike Fanone Called Himself A 'Piece Of S**t'

“I’m not smart.”

“I’m so stupid.”

“I’m an asshole.”

“I’m a piece of shit.”

Daniel “D.J.” Rodriguez, the Donald Trump fanatic who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 and was arrested for electroshocking D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Mike Fanone a month after he was identified in a HuffPost story, spilled his guts to the FBI after his arrest, repeatedly crying as he told special agents he was a “fucking piece of shit” and worried that his “mom’s going to find out” what he did.

I won't believe these fuckers are sorry until we go a year not seeing them on Fox bragging.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, hobie1616 said:

“I’m not smart.”

“I’m so stupid.”

“I’m an asshole.”

“I’m a piece of shit.”

Self awareness is a good thing.

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

We need to see some real sentences for these assholes.  5 to 10 sounds right for anyone in the Capitol.

treason was and still should be punishable by death.

• Like 1
Just now, Gouvernail said:

They were searching for the bounds of stupidity. Where better to look than a building half filled with Republicans??

Look on the bright side, it was half empty of Republicans.

They would've lynched anyone if the mob had spoken. Dem, Rep, their own mob member, it wouldn't have mattered. If one of the nincom-coup-ers said "that's Pence, get him" that person wouldn't be with us today.

4 minutes ago, Ncik said:

They would've lynched anyone if the mob had spoken. Dem, Rep, their own mob member, it wouldn't have mattered. If one of the nincom-coup-ers said "that's Pence, get him" that person wouldn't be with us today.

I suspect that some would have survived, like Boebert, Greene, Cawthorne, Gosar, the rest of the Insurrection Caucus. They had connections.

40 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
46 minutes ago, Ncik said:

I suspect that some would have survived, like Boebert, Greene, Cawthorne, Gosar, the rest of the Insurrection Caucus. They had connections.

Mob violence is uncontrollable. I had the feeling at the time it was unfolding live on the news, that anybody they caught inside would be killed. The ones who helped plan it probably had the sense to be among the first evacuated. Although some of them are stupid enough to think the mob would have hailed them as heroic leaders.

- DSK

43 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I believe they would've helped.

On 10/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, Bus Driver said:

I have to imagine they have a timeline in mind.

the timeline is to run out the clock . . 

a strategy with which the Dems seem to be OK 

Amazing article here about the gross disparity of the "justice" system between R-word-istas and the left. 

Baker gets over 50 months, the worst of the armed insurrectionists less than half that. 

The judge declared that Baker was a terrorist for joining the Kurdish People’s Protection Units in Syria, where he was fighting against  . . . . . wait for it . . . .   ISIS 

Sometimes The Intercept does good work. 

https://theintercept.com/2021/10/16/daniel-baker-anarchist-capitol-riot/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The Intercept Newsletter