Maybe Storming The Capitol Wasn't Such A Good Idea

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

Those claims might be substantiated by loved ones, or police psychologists who saw an awful lot of patients after 1/6.

You might be correct, but I can’t see how they could bring charges or get a conviction against a mob.  They have a hard time convicting family members that tell the person to kill themselves over and over and when it happens charges are rare. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks take great pride in their ignorance and go out of their way to flaunt it, even to exaggerate it. They like to show it off like they are wearing a lair of the latest Air Jordans. I don't get

You are talking about folks that were taking selfies, some with their company IDs hanging from their necks. Burner phones to cover their tracks?  I'm surprised they didn't order delivered pizzas

If you are attempting to minimize the event that interrupted a electoral vote count, and maimed people for life, then your are either delusional or are an asshole. My money is on you being an ass

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Well since only the President can grant pardons. Wouldn’t it be reasonable that he had to be in the loop? 

Maybe Gosar made the  assumption that Trump would of course issue pardons, it's not like he hadn't already pardoned some Grade A assholes.

Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Maybe Gosar made the  assumption that Trump would of course issue pardons, it's not like he hadn't already pardoned some Grade A assholes.

Well not a lot of sympathy for idiots that would commit crimes expecting to be pardoned.  It’s like a drunk running on a football field during a game and thinking their buddy’s a cop so he can get me off.  

13 minutes ago, The Joker said:

You might be correct, but I can’t see how they could bring charges or get a conviction against a mob.  They have a hard time convicting family members that tell the person to kill themselves over and over and when it happens charges are rare. 

There are people who are charged with harming Michael Fanone, and others. Those people are in very serious trouble.

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

There are people who are charged with harming Michael Fanone, and others. Those people are in very serious trouble.

As they should be.   But he did not commit suicide, the issue you brought into the conversation 

1 minute ago, The Joker said:

As they should be.   But he did not commit suicide, the issue you brought into the conversation 

Yes you make a point. these kinds of cases do not normally end up with criminal charges, they end up in civil court charged with negligent and intentional infliction of emotional distress, and face crushing financial damages. However, these are cops so all bets are off. We'll see where it goes.

27 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Maybe somebody in Trump's inner circle told Gosar that pardons would be easy. I get the feeling Trump is one of those guys that doesn't read what he's signing.

Or maybe Trump did promise to pardon them. He definitely said he'd pay the legal fees of his supporters who assaulted people he didn't like, at his rallies

- DSK

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Maybe somebody in Trump's inner circle told Gosar that pardons would be easy. I get the feeling Trump is one of those guys that doesn't read what he's signing.

Or maybe Trump did promise to pardon them. He definitely said he'd pay the legal fees of his supporters who assaulted people he didn't like, at his rallies

- DSK

Of course he would pardon them, right after he was appointed King For Life.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Well since only the President can grant pardons. Wouldn’t it be reasonable that he had to be in the loop? 

Promising pardons before the event...how does anyone justify this?

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

The National Archives is set to begin turning over records to the House on November 12, unless Trump gets a court order. 

My question is why wait until Nov 12th?  Start today!  Don't give shitstain time to stonewall it with court orders.

Just now, bstrdsonofbtl said:

I sincerely hope and pray to the baby jesus with all my might that as we keep peeling the layers of this putrid onion back, more and more of cuntbag's inner circle and allies get exposed, making it even more likely that the authorities will find that smoking gun that implicates tfg hisself.  Isn't the penalty for treason and sedition.... death?  And I'm torn on that one.  As satisfying as watching them all get strung up from a gallows in front of the capitol bldg (how ironic that would be?) - I think I would rather have them rot in obscurity a supermax for life.  I think that punishment honestly would be worse for the orange one - because a sociopathic narcissist needs attention and he will wither without it.  Cruel and unusual?  Maybe, but totally worth it.

3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Lucky for them you aren't the one who gets to decide. It's called negligent homicide, penalties vary, but are never taken inconsequentially.

How about Felony Murder?

They were all involved in a common criminal act that resulted in death.

That would surely set a record - 1500 or whatever people charged with felony murder at one time.

• Like 1

#BigMagaCamo Ray Epps is an unperson.

So on January 8, 2021, the FBI begged the public for information regarding the identity of Suspect 16, Ray Epps, and even offered a cash reward.

The public obliged, and in less than three days, Ray Epps was identified as Suspect 16. Researchers corroborated his identity with troves of unassailable direct evidence, including an effective confession from Epps himself to his own local newspaper.

Then, for nearly six months, amidst the biggest manhunt in American history, the FBI did nothing with this information. As the FBI did nothing on Epps, it was simultaneously investigating, arresting, raiding and imprisoning hundreds of completely benign MAGA moms and social media trolls — mostly for minor misdemeanor trespassing charges.

Then, on July 1, between the hours of 3:37 a.m. and 5:55 p.m., the FBI finally took action on Ray Epps. But not to prosecute him, or to announce a sweeping investigation or FBI SWAT raid on Epps’s house for all of his phones and electronics. Instead, someone at the FBI quietly and stealthily purged every trace of Ray Epps from the Capitol Riots Most Wanted database.

Using the Wayback Machine from archive.org, we see that from January 8, 2021 until 3:37 a.m. on July 1, every archived version of the FBI.gov website shows Ray Epps as Suspect 16. The below photo is just a snapshot sample from February 16, 2021 — but users can view the Web Archive themselves to witness the Ray Epps purge occurring sometime between 3:37 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. on July 1. That would be during the FBI workday.

The wayback machine is one of the greatest things about the internet.

9 hours ago, Ishmael said:

This is quite disturbing. I hope Merrick Garland is working quietly and not just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. I'm more than a little concerned that he wants to "just move on". We saw how well that worked with the Mueller investigation.

Kinda like Watergate.  If the justice department had just decided to move on, the US wouldn't have to had to endure all those silly investigations. 

We could have focused on things really important to saving democracy, like how to deal with those damn hippies.

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Mo Brooks. Remember that name.

The lying worthless traitorous rats are leaving the ship

wpl2sKz.png

https://www.businessinsider.com/mo-brooks-shifts-blame-to-staff-over-capitol-riot-involvement-2021-10

Is that the fella who wears body armor to a peaceful protest? Pretty sure it is. We're gonna need a good ol bullshitter deflection from that. Get to work boys. Do what you were raised to do!

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Is that the fella who wears body armor to a peaceful protest? Pretty sure it is. We're gonna need a good ol bullshitter deflection from that. Get to work boys. Do what you were raised to do!

Can't wait to hear what his staff have to offer.

The insurrectionists had every reason to believe they could skate without penalties for their actions. 

In fact, that is what they were promised. 

Right now I am reading "Hatchet Man" - good book about the reign of Bob Barr at the DOJ . . .

he subverted the rule of law at every opportunity - ignoring or covering up criminal acts from the Mueller Report, Ukraine, Flynn, Roger Stone and much more.; 

and did incalculable harm to the rule of law in the US 

Whoopsiedaisy… RS is still on it. Don’t sweat it, bullshitters. Just a coincidence. 

Rolling Stone identified nearly 40 Oath Keeper memberships linked to public-sector work credentials, including domains like nasa.gov

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oath-keepers-investigation-public-employees-1246358/

12 hours ago, Burning Man said:

My question is why wait until Nov 12th?  Start today!  Don't give shitstain time to stonewall it with court orders.

I believe that the records have to go through a review and redaction period before they can be turned over. There are electronic discovery technologies that have dramatically cut down the time it takes to review such large discovery databases, but I'm sure in a case like this Every document that gets flagged by the computer will also get reviewed by a human being. Frankly I'm amazed they can begin turning over materials as soon as Nov. 12.

1 minute ago, Remodel said:

I believe that the records have to go through a review and redaction period before they can be turned over. There are electronic discovery technologies that have dramatically cut down the time it takes to review such large discovery databases, but I'm sure in a case like this Every document that gets flagged by the computer will also get reviewed by a human being. Frankly I'm amazed they can begin turning over materials as soon as Nov. 12.

They obviously don't have that finely-honed team of Cyber Ninjas working on this.

2 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Here is the full article on the Fed in on the Insurrection:

Thanks for that post . . .  

more Eva Dense that Garland is/was in the tank for fascism.  

Did I see somewhere that he is a member of the Federalist Society  ? 

(A bit later  . . .   Hmmmmm, guess not. Sorry if there was any confusion. ) 

11 minutes ago, The Joker said:

They don’t care it doesn’t fit their agenda.  

Do you really think an undercover agent of the FBI would be involved with an insurrection in any capacity, and use his real name and give a legitimate home and business address? The man has a full-time career and works full-time for the FBI? The FBI is not that inept, provocateur? Absolutely no one at the Capitol on January 6, needed any encouragement. A lot of this makes no sense at all.

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Do you really think an undercover agent of the FBI would be involved with an insurrection in any capacity, and use his real name and give a legitimate home and business address? The man has a full-time career and works full-time for the FBI? The FBI is not that inept, provocateur? Absolutely no one at the Capitol on January 6, needed any encouragement. A lot of this makes no sense at all.

Then why was he not one of the first arrested.  He is on video talking about storming the capital the day before.  He is on video telling people we need to get in there.  He is on video breaking a capital window.  He was on the FBI’s most wanted list.   He is not hiding they know exactly where he is.    Now every reference of the guy, from the FBI has been scrubbed including his pic on the most wanted list.   Nothing indicates that he  has been arrested.  

I agree lots of strange things that make no sense.   They have arrested and detained people for stepping on the lawn.  But this guy is still free?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

How so? That's the oath they swore to. What better recruiting area could there be ... after the police unions?

The moment they signed up with an anti government group, they violated their oath. There’s a bunch of Oath Keepers facing Seditious Conspiracy charges for demonstrating their view of the oath by storming the Capitol. 

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Then why was he not one of the first arrested.  He is on video talking about storming the capital the day before.  He is on video telling people we need to get in there.  He is on video breaking a capital window.  He was on the FBI’s most wanted list.   He is not hiding they know exactly where he is.    Now every reference of the guy, from the FBI has been scrubbed including his pic on the most wanted list.   Nothing indicates that he  has been arrested.  

I agree lots of strange things that make no sense.   They have arrested and detained people for stepping on the lawn.  But this guy is still free?

First, the FBI is not going to let agent get involved with anything like Jan 6th, without giving him a phony name and a phony background.

2nd if he was wanted for anything, do you think they would put his picture on the Internet for the world to see?

3rd There are many people that want to see the action up close, but do not want to be arrested or be seen doing anything illegal. This is the profile that best fits Ray Epps, he was not filmed in the capitol, nor seen doing anything illegal.

4th The best answer was he was questioned by the FBI and released for lack of evidence.

Just now, badlatitude said:

First, the FBI is not going to let agent get involved with anything like Jan 6th, without giving him a phony name and a phony background.

2nd if he was wanted for anything, do you think they would put his picture on the Internet for the world to see?

3rd There are many people that want to see the action up close, but do not want to be arrested or be seen doing anything illegal. This is the profile that best fits Ray Epps, he was not filmed in the capitol, nor seen doing anything illegal.

4th The best answer was he was questioned by the FBI and released for lack of evidence.

5th What revolver is reporting is what happens to journalism when you are too close to QAnon.

21 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Those are good points.   I guess I had assumed he did go into the capitol.  If he never entered the capitol, then it would make sense that they would release him and remove him from the website.  I would hope if I was one of the idiots in DC but never entered the Capitol I would want to be removed from the wanted list.

Just now, MauiPunter said:

Those are good points.   I guess I had assumed he did go into the capitol.  If he never entered the capitol, then it would make sense that they would release him and remove him from the website.  I would hope if I was one of the idiots in DC but never entered the Capitol I would want to be removed from the wanted list.

I'm fairly certain that's the story, but when you argue against 18,000 word screeds, it gets lost in the messaging. The truth will come out, and this will disappear like so many of the others have.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MauiPunter said:

He might have given them an interview, but we wouldn’t know that because the AG isn’t going to talk details of ongoing investigations. He didn’t go in, and he didn’t commit acts of violence, on camera at least. I don’t think that anyone who so much as crossed a police barricade should go without charges, but I don’t get to make that call. 

8 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

She's right.  It's right there in the Declaration of Independence:

"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary to overthrow tyrants, go forth and riot."

The moment they signed up with an anti government group, they violated their oath. There’s a bunch of Oath Keepers facing Seditious Conspiracy charges for demonstrating their view of the oath by storming the Capitol. 

Sure as we see it.  I think that is a justiciable issue. Maybe all the way to the Bigs who will side with the keepers.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Sure as we see it.  I think that is a justiciable issue. Maybe all the way to the Bigs who will side with the keepers.

Don’t be so sure. Authoritarians will have no need for judicial oversight. The folks in the robes are protective of their branch of government too. 

I can't see any way these "Oath Keepers" differ from McVeigh.

Any individual who feels they have the right to decide when "The Government" has become oppressive and needs to be torn down is an individual who needs to be kept in a cage.

It's also interestingly ironic that they all seem to be in favour of a fascist government - no oppression there.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The moment they signed up with an anti government group, they violated their oath.

Anti-Gummint groups are fine, no oath issues there. 

You are free to call for the overthrow (legal precedent there), 

but you cannot use threats or violence or conspire to do so. 

As an old leftie, that seems reasonable to me. 

15 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Anti-Gummint groups are fine, no oath issues there. 

You are free to call for the overthrow (legal precedent there), 

but you cannot use threats or violence or conspire to do so. 

As an old leftie, that seems reasonable to me. 

The Oath Keepers are cops and (other) military. They take an oath for that service that they violate when they hitch their wagon to the Oath keepers. 

I’m all for anti government groups protesting but not causing damage or storming the nations Capitol to beat cops and smear shit around. The message can be put out without violence. Here’s an example from my small county courthouse, where a confederate soldier reminds everyone of the equal justice they can expect. 

063171F8-9984-4B95-8163-3550DB5DA374.jpeg

• Like 1

At Least 5 Ex-Trump Staffers Have Testified

At Least 5 Ex-Trump Staffers Have Testified 

October 26, 2021 at 12:06 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 13 Comments 

https://politicalwire.com/2021/10/26/at-least-5-ex-trump-staffers-have-testified/ 

"SNIP....... 

“At least five former Trump administration staffers have voluntarily spoken with the House committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol,” CNN reports. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

If you got too close, like Jeremy Brown, you might get locked up. But I assume you read the article you posted?

12 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He might have given them an interview, but we wouldn’t know that because the AG isn’t going to talk details of ongoing investigations. He didn’t go in, and he didn’t commit acts of violence, on camera at least. I don’t think that anyone who so much as crossed a police barricade should go without charges, but I don’t get to make that call. 

One does wonder what Ray Epps said to Ryan Samsel 2.6 seconds before Samsel broke the first barricade. Probably nothing he had repeated over and over about the need to go in the Capitol. Just idle chit chat, I'm sure.

10 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The Oath Keepers are cops and (other) military. They take an oath for that service that they violate when they hitch their wagon to the Oath keepers. 

Oath Keeper head Stewart Rhodes' website seems to have forgotten all about former AZ chapter head Ray Epps. The Wayback Machine didn't. From the revolver piece.

Oddly, Stewart Rhodes’s website OathKeepers.org deleted several historical blog posts featuring events run by Ray Epps, where Epps was listed as both President and Press Contact.

The Wayback Machine’s automatic archiving process suggests Stewart Rhodes’s OathKeepers.org posts concerning Ray Epps were effectively dormant from 2011 until 2021. Then, at approximately 3 p.m. on January 27, 2021, there is an update showing the page had been 404’d.

The  leader of the Republican’s caucus, Margie Green now says the January 6 insurrection was just a riot trying to support the Constitution and throw off tyrants.

and she is one of the most centrist practical remaining Republicans. 

'Sovereign citizen' who stormed Capitol tells judge she only blew up in court because she was under stress

On Wednesday, NBC4 Washington's Scott MacFarlane reported that Pauline Bauer, a so-called "sovereign citizen" who was jailed ahead of trial for her involvement in the January 6 Capitol insurrection, is now seeking for an appeals court to release her from pre-trial detention. 

Bauer, a pizzeria owner from Pennsylvania, is accused of shouting "Bring Nancy Pelosi out here now. We want to hang that f*cking b*tch. Bring her out," while forcing her way into the Capitol with the crowd. She was kept in prison after outbursts in court, proclaiming to the judge that the court has "no dominion over a living soul," and that "I have a right to my self-determination!" She has also delivered lengthy, typo-ridden manifestos to the court proclaiming she had a right to be in the Capitol, and has called searches of her home "illegal." 

Now, she is taking a different strategy: telling the court that she was under stress when she did all those things. 

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-rioter-pauline-bauer-2655396690/ 

Threatening government officials of the United States is a felony under federal law. ... Threatening other officials is a Class D or C felony, usually carrying maximum penalties of 5 or 10 years under 18 U.S.C. § 875, 18 U.S.C. § 876 and other statutes, that is investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation

45 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

AG Garland testifying before Senate Judiciary committee. 

The FBI that Christopher Wray runs? The Christopher Wray that Trump appointed? The one that ignored 4500 tips about Kavanaugh?

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Now, she is taking a different strategy: telling the court that she was under stress when she did all those things. 

Having to eat baloney three time a day while in jail will do that to you.

• Like 1

New, troubling questions about Madison Cawthorn and Jan. 6

Followers of former President Donald Trump have found one conspiracy theory they don’t like: That some Republican members of Congress may have had deeper roles in plans and events that led to the storming of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. 

One reason they don’t like it is that — unlike the bizarre theories of QAnon, the baseless notions of rampant voter fraud and suspicions about COVID vaccines — the concern that members of Congress may have had a hand in efforts to overturn the election appears to be backed by evidence. 

Rolling Stone reported on Sunday that two organizers of the Jan. 6 protests have told congressional investigators that “multiple members of Congress were intimately involved in planning both Trump’s efforts to overturn his election loss and the Jan. 6 events that turned violent.” 

Rolling Stone said the organizers, speaking anonymously, named seven Republican members of Congress who joined, either directly or through their staffers, in the effort to overturn the election. Republican North Carolina Rep. Madison Cawthorn was among those named. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/troubling-questions-madison-cawthorn-jan-204644379.html

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

AG Garland testifying before Senate Judiciary committee.

How much you wanna bet when this is all over none of the politicians who participated in the attempted coup get anything more than a hand slap?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Jules said:

How much you wanna bet when this is all over none of the politicians who participated in the attempted coup get anything more than a hand slap?

Sen Whitehorse got him to answer that the investigation was not limited to those who actually entered the capitol to look for politicians to kill and a place to smear their poop...or something like that. AG Garland confirmed that the investigation is not limited. 

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Patience, grasshopper.

However, let the record show that I personally am not willing to place a large bet. If Team D! doesn't win this upcoming wave of elections, then the whole matter will be dropped or maybe some pardons issued.

- DSK

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

Patience, grasshopper.

However, let the record show that I personally am not willing to place a large bet. If Team D! doesn't win this upcoming wave of elections, then the whole matter will be dropped or maybe some pardons issued.

- DSK

And the Trump Loyalists who organized and supported the insurrection will be placed in high roles in the Reichstag and Gestapo.

14 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

And the Trump Loyalists who organized and supported the insurrection will be placed in high roles in the Reichstag and Gestapo.

Well it worked for Adolf for a while...........makes you wonder who will be shipped to the camps.

Chief federal judge in D.C. assails 'almost schizophrenic' Jan. 6 prosecutions

Source: Washington Post

The chief judge presiding over the federal court in Washington on Thursday unleashed a blistering critique of the Justice Department’s prosecution of Capitol rioters, saying fiery rhetoric about the event’s horror did not match plea offers to minor charges. “No wonder parts of the public in the U.S. are confused about whether what happened on January 6 at the Capitol was simply a petty offense of trespassing with some disorderliness, or shocking criminal conduct that represented a grave threat to our democratic norms,” Judge Beryl A. Howell said in court Thursday. “Let me make my view clear: The rioters were not mere protesters.” 

While she and other judges have expressed similar concerns before, this was Howell’s first time sentencing a rioter and her first chance to fully air her views and demand answers from prosecutors. She took the opportunity, spending over an hour interrogating prosecutors on the decision to let Tennessee video game developer Jack Jesse Griffith plead guilty to the misdemeanor of parading inside the Capitol. Howell, who was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2010, also oversaw portions of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Before taking the bench, she served as a prosecutor and worked on cybersecurity law in the public and private sector. 

Why, she asked, when prosecutors called the riot an “attack on democracy . . . unparalleled in American history,” were Griffith and other participants facing the same charge as nonviolent protesters who routinely disrupt congressional hearings? “It seems like a bit of a disconnect,” Howell said — “muddled” and “almost schizophrenic.” The parading charge carries a sentence of at most six months, with no supervised release. “Is it the government’s view that the members of the mob that engaged in the Capitol attack on January 6 were simply trespassers?” Howell asked incredulously. “Is general deterrence going to be served by letting rioters who broke into the Capitol, overran the police . . . broke into the building through windows and doors . . . resolve their criminal liability through petty offense pleas?” 

After asking for probationary sentences in several cases, the government sought a three-month jail sentence for Griffith. Howell questioned what distinguished those cases from this one. Assistant U.S. Attorney Mitra Jafary-Hariri said prosecutors gave some defendants credit for early acceptance of responsibility. Griffith, she added, displayed a lack of remorse after the attack and continued to spread false election claims. “Probation should not be the norm,” Howell said, but added that Griffith should not be punished more than others who engaged in similar conduct. Instead, she put him on probation for 36 months.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/judge-howell-capitol-riot-case/2021/10/28/8f6da2c2-3809-11ec-9bc4-86107e7b0ab1_story.html 

4 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Chief federal judge in D.C. assails 'almost schizophrenic' Jan. 6 prosecutions

Source: Washington Post

The chief judge presiding over the federal court in Washington on Thursday unleashed a blistering critique of the Justice Department’s prosecution of Capitol rioters, saying fiery rhetoric about the event’s horror did not match plea offers to minor charges. “No wonder parts of the public in the U.S. are confused about whether what happened on January 6 at the Capitol was simply a petty offense of trespassing with some disorderliness, or shocking criminal conduct that represented a grave threat to our democratic norms,” Judge Beryl A. Howell said in court Thursday. “Let me make my view clear: The rioters were not mere protesters.” 

While she and other judges have expressed similar concerns before, this was Howell’s first time sentencing a rioter and her first chance to fully air her views and demand answers from prosecutors. She took the opportunity, spending over an hour interrogating prosecutors on the decision to let Tennessee video game developer Jack Jesse Griffith plead guilty to the misdemeanor of parading inside the Capitol. Howell, who was appointed by President Barack Obama in 2010, also oversaw portions of the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Before taking the bench, she served as a prosecutor and worked on cybersecurity law in the public and private sector. 

Why, she asked, when prosecutors called the riot an “attack on democracy . . . unparalleled in American history,” were Griffith and other participants facing the same charge as nonviolent protesters who routinely disrupt congressional hearings? “It seems like a bit of a disconnect,” Howell said — “muddled” and “almost schizophrenic.” The parading charge carries a sentence of at most six months, with no supervised release. “Is it the government’s view that the members of the mob that engaged in the Capitol attack on January 6 were simply trespassers?” Howell asked incredulously. “Is general deterrence going to be served by letting rioters who broke into the Capitol, overran the police . . . broke into the building through windows and doors . . . resolve their criminal liability through petty offense pleas?” 

After asking for probationary sentences in several cases, the government sought a three-month jail sentence for Griffith. Howell questioned what distinguished those cases from this one. Assistant U.S. Attorney Mitra Jafary-Hariri said prosecutors gave some defendants credit for early acceptance of responsibility. Griffith, she added, displayed a lack of remorse after the attack and continued to spread false election claims. “Probation should not be the norm,” Howell said, but added that Griffith should not be punished more than others who engaged in similar conduct. Instead, she put him on probation for 36 months.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/judge-howell-capitol-riot-case/2021/10/28/8f6da2c2-3809-11ec-9bc4-86107e7b0ab1_story.html 

These people are all getting off too lightly.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, saxdog said:

These people are all getting off too lightly.  

Maybe, the majority of the cases we have seen have been minor and most have plead guilty beforehand. The judge is right though, we need to see longer probation to see if they have reformed. The federal system is kind of stuck on sentencing and there isn't much they can do about a lot of it.