Cook it with fire and smoke 2021

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

what do you use for seasoning?

A bbq rub I make. 1/4 cup each of paprika, Coarse salt, brown sugar. 2 tsps each black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, 1 tsps each celery seed and cayenne. 

I shake that over both sides liberally and then added thyme.  

10 hours ago, Grabbler said:

Spent a crappy weather weekend making venison bologna...

FB_IMG_1610415447031.jpg

FB_IMG_1610415468030.jpg

FB_IMG_1610415505264.jpg

Looks great, nice texture. Do you run it through the grinder a couple times with a small plate instead of trying to emulsify? What did you add for fat? I've been using bulk ground pork from our local butcher. 

12 hours ago, chinabald said:

A bbq rub I make. 1/4 cup each of paprika, Coarse salt, brown sugar. 2 tsps each black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, 1 tsps each celery seed and cayenne. 

I shake that over both sides liberally and then added thyme.  

I'll give it a run... thanks

I reckon we've got this brisket thing nailed.

Brisket slicing.jpg

That was a 5.8kg brisket, from which we bagged 2.75kg of sliced meat.  We ate the burnt ends... so maybe 3kg cooked.

This next one is already on the Food thread... but worth including here.  Smoked spare ribs - done with a Memphis dry rub and then a Carolinas sauce.  Served with Italian kale sauted in garlic.

Spare Ribs Memphis and Carolina with Kale in Garlic.jpg

Then a 400 gm slab of pork soft ribs, same Memphis dry rub and sauce is a BBQ sauce (my Thai wife's recipe).  Served with a wedge salad and blue cheese sauce

400gm Spare Ribs BBQ Sauce with Wedge and Blue Cheese.jpg

• Like 2
14 hours ago, bmiller said:

Looks great, nice texture. Do you run it through the grinder a couple times with a small plate instead of trying to emulsify? What did you add for fat? I've been using bulk ground pork from our local butcher. 

Couple times through grinder then short emulsification through food processor...cold smoked then into sous vide til 155°F internal temp...ice bath til back down to 100°...I just use pork shoulder with the venison...

Hardly flashy but tomorrow I plan to make my great big cheese burgers, a couple of days ago I drilled out the pop rivets in my burger form & expanded the diameter by about half an inch, I'm trying to reach the point where they shrink down to match a big Kaiser bun.

I also took a trip out to the mall to pick up a kitchen scale so I can divide up the meat accurately, went to Macy's first but that was a fail, tried Penny's next & there was the very thing! After I got home I was telling my son what I had been up to & the little fart revealed he had bought a scale quite a while ago!

Doing some experimenting today with veggies in the smoker.  In here we've got two varieties of eggplant, bell peppers in three colours, carrot, tomato, potato and sweet potato, corn, onions and garlic.  I did a couple of cobs of corn for stripping - and served it up in sour cream with chili flakes and sliced chili.  Didn't look as good as it tasted.

00smoked veggies big.jpg

I haven't seen much written of pork soft ribs in the US - they're proving popular here because they have significantly more meat on them than the way we get spare ribs here

00shortribscoleslawandfries.jpg

New batch of beans 'n bacon today.  Needs some pulled pork.

00beansnbacon.jpg

5 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Doing some experimenting today with veggies in the smoker.  In here we've got two varieties of eggplant, bell peppers in three colours, carrot, tomato, potato and sweet potato, corn, onions and garlic.  I did a couple of cobs of corn for stripping - and served it up in sour cream with chili flakes and sliced chili.  Didn't look as good as it tasted.

00smoked veggies big.jpg

I haven't seen much written of pork soft ribs in the US - they're proving popular here because they have significantly more meat on them than the way we get spare ribs here

00beansnbacon.jpg

Nice. I plan to give a smoked ratatouille a try this year. Did. One in the oven last year and it was far better then I expected. I might go half and half smoke and finish in the oven. 

today I am pulling from the freezer some baby back ribs I smoked a month ago. Going to put them in the sous vide to heat back up. If this turns out like I hope I will never cook 1 rack of ribs at a time ever again. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

00smoked veggies big.jpg

00beansnbacon.jpg

What is a soft rib?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, chinabald said:

today I am pulling from the freezer some baby back ribs I smoked a month ago. Going to put them in the sous vide to heat back up. If this turns out like I hope I will never cook 1 rack of ribs at a time ever again. 

I have done smoked pork from the freezer then Sous Vide. I used 10 Lbs. of country style ribs and smoked them for 2 hours. 

Put 2 Lbs. in a plastic dish and covered with BBQ sauce then froze in the sauce for 24 hours.  Took the bowl out of the freezer, put the bottom in hot water to release the frozen meat & sauce block then vac-packed the block.  Put in the Sous Vide for 18 hours at 154°F and made pulled pork grinders with it after searing in the oven.  Sharp provolone cheese, vinegar based coleslaw and a smear of Mayo with the pulled pork on the grinders.

Also put my 9 pepper taco seasoning on 2 Lbs. and froze it in a vac-bag.  Took it from the freezer, put in Sous Vide for 18 hours at 154°F.  Took it from the Sous Vide, browned it in a hot iron skillet and used it for tacos with fresh cilantro, compari tomatoes, Co-Jack cheese, pickled Jalapenos and a squeeze of fresh lime juice on a fried corn taco shell.

Still have a couple of vac-bags of plain smoked pork in the freezer for chili and goulash.

10 hours ago, bmiller said:

What is a soft rib?

I don't know that I can answer that - I went looking for the answer and came up short with respect to western terminology.  They are a different shape, have a lot more meat on them and cost more.  Raw spare ribs here are about $2.25 a pound and raw short ribs are about $2.55 a pound 

In this image, there's five of each type.  On the rack, the three on the left are soft ribs, along with the two racks in the right hand tin.  This is after a couple of hours in the smoker, pulling them for a Texas Crutch - pre saucing.

00ribscookingspareandsoft.jpg

20 minutes ago, Polytelum Tom said:

Got a new grill lighter and tried it out last night.

flamethrower.jpg

Got one of those years ago. Great for bonfires and killing weeds. Pro tip, hide it from teenaged boys. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Got one of those years ago. Great for bonfires and killing weeds. Pro tip, hide it from teenaged boys. 

Yeah I used it to light that fire. Got it from my brother, who used it on weeds.

No problem with the local teens taking it. I'm pretty sure they know where their dad keeps his.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:48 AM, bmiller said:

What is a soft rib?

Probably pork belly.

In the Caribbean it's called "riblets". Best stewed or marinated for a while in something acidic, and then slow cooked/smoked. Lots of fat, but the meat can be tough if it's not broken down.

23 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Probably pork belly.

In the Caribbean it's called "riblets". Best stewed or marinated for a while in something acidic, and then slow cooked/smoked. Lots of fat, but the meat can be tough if it's not broken down.

Pretty sure its baby back ribs.  Looks a bit like a shark fin in shape

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

it has been a while since I used the smoker.  A local store had a great deal on brisket and since the forecast was for sunny and 45° F today I decided to go for it. 

Dam glad I did, it is cow perfection.

brisket 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought a cheap used vertical smoker on-line. Today is its maiden voyage. Going to see how these water smokers work before I put down real money on one. 

F1B63407-2BFE-46E3-95CE-ADFAAB65CB0E.jpeg

93E71524-D57D-4807-AB3A-0F965AD88605.jpegNot sure why my pics are always turned when I post here 

19 hours ago, chinabald said:

I bought a cheap used vertical smoker on-line. Today is its maiden voyage. Going to see how these water smokers work before I put down real money on one. 

F1B63407-2BFE-46E3-95CE-ADFAAB65CB0E.jpeg

93E71524-D57D-4807-AB3A-0F965AD88605.jpegNot sure why my pics are always turned when I post here 

if you do get one,  look for a weber smokey mtn..   i've got friends who swear by them and there's a local bbq contest where that's all that's used..    after the contest they can be bought at a discount..

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

if you do get one,  look for a weber smokey mtn..   i've got friends who swear by them and there's a local bbq contest where that's all that's used..    after the contest they can be bought at a discount..

That’s what I’ve been looking at. Friends of mine swear by them. 

Not sure if I've ever mentioned this before, but if you ever stumble across some Alder wood chips.....or even cut off pieces of it......grab them and give 'em a test flight in your smokers or grills. Quite literally the best smelling wood I've ever used in 50 years of burning shit.....

11 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Not sure if I've ever mentioned this before, but if you ever stumble across some Alder wood chips.....or even cut off pieces of it......grab them and give 'em a test flight in your smokers or grills. Quite literally the best smelling wood I've ever used in 50 years of burning shit.....

Yo Boothy, long time.

WTF, its quarter to 5 in the morning in Mexico. You should be sleeping off a hangover.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Yo Boothy, long time.

WTF, its quarter to 5 in the morning in Mexico. You should be sleeping off a hangover.

Actually....I'm trying create one. Yackatcha around late lunchtime today.....:lol:

Simple rosemary/garlic lamb chops with some Maitake and Pink Oyster 'shrooms the Missus found at the farmer's market...

FB_IMG_1617108791492.jpg

FB_IMG_1617108831619.jpg

• Like 4
On 3/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, El Mariachi said:

NOPE !!!!!

Try some ALMOND Wood

"THE BEST" !!!

yet not everywhere

the frigging HighCost Rail to NoWhere Cut a 2.2 mile path through ALMOND Country

No REALLY ..... Try It !!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, a bastardized "Steak Diane".... Carmelized onions, garlic, red onion, and mushrooms in a reduced red wine sauce with beef stock, mustard, and heavy cream. NY strip steak grilled medium rare/rare over hardwood charcoal, sliced thin and covered in the sauce. Served with steamed asparagus with butter and a touch of sea salt, and a half a baked potato with butter, sea salt, pepper and sour cream.

may the forks be with you ... 

No photo description available.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

may the forks be with you ... 

No photo description available.

Wtf you got going there....the Mars Rover?.....

9 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
15 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Wtf you got going there....the Mars Rover?.....

You never saw Star Wars?

He allreddey tolde us he dossente wache TV................                   :)

10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

He allreddey tolde us he dossente wache TV................                   :)

Hell..... I was a movie theater projectionist (1921 Simplex carbon arc projectors) when STAR WARS came around to our little town theater. That, JAWS! and  Halloween, plus a few too many others I've seen so many times, that I can tell when the commercials on TV viewings are about to start before they do. (Look for the "football" upper right corner of the screen.)

• Like 1

:huh:  wut ?

On 3/29/2021 at 4:35 AM, El Mariachi said:

Alder wood ?  , like from Alder trees ?

, wait a minute, 

?  Boothy is the Messkin word for "Alder" maybe somehow different than the 'Merican word for "Alder" ?

, , might be important difference, ya know.

3 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

:huh:  wut ?

Alder wood ?  , like from Alder trees ?

, wait a minute, 

?  Boothy is the Messkin word for "Alder" maybe somehow different than the 'Merican word for "Alder" ?

, , might be important difference, ya know.

he knows of which he speaks.. alderwood is excellent for smoking. it's great by itself or mixed in with other woods.. I use alder/apple blend for venison. Alder/hickory for pork if I wanna cut down the impact of the hickory a little bit. it's really good for poultry and water fowl.

31 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

he knows of which he speaks.. alderwood is excellent for smoking. it's great by itself or mixed in with other woods.. I use alder/apple blend for venison. Alder/hickory for pork if I wanna cut down the impact of the hickory a little bit. it's really good for poultry and water fowl.

you shall Never know till you smoke w ALMOND Wood !!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

he knows of which he speaks.. alderwood is excellent

, agree about Alder being excellent,,,  BUT, that only shows that,

,a lefty from the right coast and a righty from the left coast can agree  :o

about the 'Merican word,, BUT ,,

I'm pretty sure Boothy's not in a snow cave in Montana,,

, might be in a Tiki bar in an abandoned mine in AZ, 

,  most likely ,  some where  not in reach of 'Merican immigration Federales, 

, hence my question about the Messkin word.

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

he knows of which he speaks

?Dude?    it's Boothy

35 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

,a lefty from the right coast and a righty from the left coast can agree  :o

clever wordplay, but I'm no lefty LOL

?Dude?    it's Boothy

yeah, I know... that part worries me LOL

, had to analyze my  smoke signals failures ,,

It would seem my sittin' spot was facing  south, putting your geo location to _my_ left.

;) , sorry about a temporary spell of antipodian thinking, 

(pssst,, don't tell Boothy,, coulda made him stinking reache)

21 minutes ago, retroSail said:

Pork Chops and sausages, first BBQ of the season. 

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

You boil those sauggys for a while first? Before throwing them on the grill? I recall The Nurse boiling those Johnson Valley {sic?} Beer Beaut/whatever their called things first, then handing 'em to me outside whenever I was playing Fire God. Can't recall the actual reason....unless it was a throwback to her olde Polish Grandmother tips? Or maybe just to give 'em a little head start so you wouldn't have a raw innie with a blackened outie?......

39 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

You boil those sauggys for a while first? Before throwing them on the grill? I recall The Nurse boiling those Johnson Valley {sic?} Beer Beaut/whatever their called things first, then handing 'em to me outside whenever I was playing Fire God. Can't recall the actual reason....unless it was a throwback to her olde Polish Grandmother tips? Or maybe just to give 'em a little head start so you wouldn't have a raw innie with a blackened outie?......

Boiling gets a lot of the excess fat out of the sausages if you poke some fork hole through the casings first. Then it will brown up better. My GF came home today with a case of of 1.5 lb sausages from a decorating client from Louisiana who just bought a condo here on the Redneck Riviera. She married into an old coonass sausage family called Down Home Meats.

I'm a loyal Conecuh Sausage from Alabama kind of guy but my first taste of the Cajun product at lunch is promising! The move in at the redecorated Condo went well and they were very generous with the links but I'm hoping that they will do a big Gumbo feast this weekend for the crew!

image4402

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

Fuk. Ing. Drool....:lol:

I'll give them your regards! 

We started with regular grade and that is close to my limit for spicy hotness. But what do you expect from a CoonAss? We also got a Green Onion grade which I suspect has added kick and then there is the Hot variety. Then there is the top shelf Jalepeno version that I will have to acclimate to. Might be just your speed Mariachi...

I've been daring hundreds of Hispanic/Latino cooks in California, Arizona, Texas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Louisiana, Florida, Guatemala, Honduras & Peru for 5 decades now, to make me a bowl of salsa that will either stop my breathing, dissolve my heart, smite me dead whilst I'm standing up...or make me cry. And so far.....only two people pretty much accomplished that. One guy here in Mañeadero a couple years back....and one guy in Mancora, Peru back in 1980. Jfc but I can STILL feel the pain.....:lol:

48 minutes ago, El Mariachi said:

I've been daring hundreds of Hispanic/Latino cooks in California, Arizona, Texas, Mexico, Costa Rica, Louisiana, Florida, Guatemala, Honduras & Peru for 5 decades now, to make me a bowl of salsa that will either stop my breathing, dissolve my heart, smite me dead whilst I'm standing up...or make me cry. And so far.....only two people pretty much accomplished that. One guy here in Mañeadero a couple years back....and one guy in Mancora, Peru back in 1980. Jfc but I can STILL feel the pain.....:lol:

Ha ha - thanks for the reminder.  I bought four big bags of Jalapenos the other day and the cook has hidden them.... hoping I'd forget them.  It's pickling time.  Last year, I told her and my wife (the head chef) to wear gloves. They didn't.  I had to do the yogurt rubbing thing for them both.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Ha ha - thanks for the reminder.  I bought four big bags of Jalapenos the other day and the cook has hidden them.... hoping I'd forget them.  It's pickling time.  Last year, I told her and my wife (the head chef) to wear gloves. They didn't.  I had to do the yogurt rubbing thing for them both.

You would NOT believe how many times I've silently screamed in the 'men's room' during my cooking sessions.....:lol:

21 hours ago, El Mariachi said:

Yea they look that way, but no. They were just flipped before this picture. The BBQ cooked them nice all the way through. 

OK, as a New Yorker my first inclination with brisket has been to make pastrami- with pretty good results recently. I brine the brisket with pickling spices, kosher salt, pink salt and garlic for 5-7 days. Soak in water for a day or so to desalinate a little, rub with a combination of cracked peppercorns and coriander, let sit for a day, then smoke (propane smoker in my case) at 225 degrees with cherry or apple chunks to an internal temp of 150 degrees. Then I steam it for around three hours until very tender. It's a long slog, but worth it.

IMG_2622.jpg

• Like 1

Or.....you could just 

14 minutes ago, Grizz said:

OK, as a New Yorker my first inclination with brisket has been to make pastrami- with pretty good results recently. I brine the brisket with pickling spices, kosher salt, pink salt and garlic for 5-7 days. Soak in water for a day or so to desalinate a little, rub with a combination of cracked peppercorns and coriander, let sit for a day, then smoke (propane smoker in my case) at 225 degrees with cherry or apple chunks to an internal temp of 150 degrees. Then I steam it for around three hours until very tender. It's a long slog, but worth it.

IMG_2622.jpg

Or.... you could just throw together a quick salad inside of four minutes.....and be done with it...m..

FB_IMG_1612720437156.jpg

• Like 1

Waaaaaaaaaaay too windy to cook w/ fire and smoke today. (35-40 mph winds w/ gusts up around 50)

So it's an Indonesian inspired stir fry with garlic marinated chicken, shrimp, chorizo, cabbage, red onion, (more)garlic, ginger, scallions, diced carrot, noodles, and Serano peppers (I'm using jalapenos instead, because that's what I have).

25 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Waaaaaaaaaaay too windy to cook w/ fire and smoke today. (35-40 mph winds w/ gusts up around 50)

So it's an Indonesian inspired stir fry with garlic marinated chicken, shrimp, chorizo, cabbage, red onion, (more)garlic, ginger, scallions, diced carrot, noodles, and Serano peppers (I'm using jalapenos instead, bec

25 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

So it's an Indonesian inspired stir fry with garlic marinated chicken, shrimp, chorizo, cabbage, red onion, (more)garlic, ginger, scallions, diced carrot, noodles, and Serano peppers (I'm using jalapenos instead, because that's what I have).

ause that's what I have).

I HAVE to go up to Hell-A next week for a few daze and take care of a bunch of shit....which I don't want to, but I'm running out of procrastination chips. And though I never thought I'd ever say this.....but I'm ALMOST burned out on Mexi food....and am looking forward to being able to buy some cool shit & making The Nurse's and the Nursetta's kitchen and bbq area look like a fuking scene from Criminal Minds. Tempura batter on the ceiling, chile relleno pieces on the floor, beer braut and bacon grease splatters on the grill hood, burned beer cans that smell like chicken asses, deep fried pork chops that will peel paint off the walls, alder smoked sirloin strips that will jealousfy the whiney ass neighbors, my patented 70/30 ratio'd ground steak & J-Dean hamburgers (complete with my minced Serranos, cilantro, Bermuda onions & garlic mixture blended in).....and possibly topped off/tapped out with some home made Tapioca pudding. 

Never mind the cost of the food....it's the f'ng ensuing cleaning bill that worries me....:lol:

Alder wood is good for smoking fish. For pork and beef I prefer Cherry. For chicken I like Maple. But you get what's available.

Funny thing, around here when I told neighbors that I'd smoked the ribs they were gobbling down over Cherry wood, they were terrified "That's poisonous!" They declared.

I've been smoking pork and beef over Cherry wood for 40+ years, and while I've come close to dying a few times, it wasn't from Cherry..... (Well, there was that one red head from Alaska who came very close to killing me in 1982, but I wasn't using her for smoke)

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Alder wood is good for smoking fish. For pork and beef I prefer Cherry. For chicken I like Maple. But you get what's available.

Funny thing, around here when I told neighbors that I'd smoked the ribs they were gobbling down over Cherry wood, they were terrified "That's poisonous!" They declared.

I've been smoking pork and beef over Cherry wood for 40+ years, and while I've come close to dying a few times, it wasn't from Cherry..... (Well, there was that one red head from Alaska who came very close to killing me in 1982, but I wasn't using her for smoke)

Smoke? Depends on how many push-ups you can do in thirteen minutes and 8 seconds.....

On 1/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, Grabbler said:

Spent a crappy weather weekend making venison bologna...

FB_IMG_1610415447031.jpg

FB_IMG_1610415468030.jpg

FB_IMG_1610415505264.jpg

Neophyte here,  what is the difference between  venison bologna and venison sausage?

8 hours ago, warbird said:

Neophyte here,  what is the difference between  venison bologna and venison sausage?

2 flight bags.....

Lunch today.  Nothing special - basic smoked burger meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato and mayo.... well, hang on - that bowl of sauce is one we make to a Memphis Sweet 'n Spicy recipe... I dumped about a third of it into the burger and the rest on the wedges.  Bloody brilliant.

basic cheeseburger.jpg

We've been running the smoker both days this weekend. Saturday was spare ribs, soft ribs and duck breast.  Today is brisket and soft ribs.  My wife pinched a couple of racks of the soft ribs before we got to rubbing them... and fried 'em up Thai style.  She's a great chef, so don't tell her, but they're bloody awful compared to what we pull out of the smoker.

• Like 1

'scuse the blurb on the shot... used it for a local FB group feed.   First lot of ribs out of the smoker today... ready for saucing.  Second lot have just gone in for their Texas crutch.  These are mostly soft (back) ribs and we ran two sauces today to balance out stocks.  The spare ribs are in now

May6smoking.jpg

2 small Boston butts on the BGE for pulled pork.  Did not trim.  7 hrs at 240, internal temp at 195, rest an hour.  Mustard then home made rib from what was in the spice cabinet, basically salt, black pepper, crab spice, coriander, garlic, a pinch of Borsari, a pinch of a local backwoods smokey spice, and brown sugar.  The salt and brown sugar made up about 2/3 of it. Then garlic and coriander.  Really flavorful and moist even without sauce.  I don't really like dry pork.  The only pulled pork I liked any better is from an old guy and his wife with a big smoker trailer on the road to St Michaels MD.