2021 TBF - singlehanded only. 125 boat limit

Saw the notice yesterday that due to Covid regs, Singlehanded Sailing Society decided to allow only singlehanded entries in the Three Bridge Fiasco this year. Cant fault them. What I did not notice was the 125 boat entry limit. Went to register last night at around 7pm and was already full.

Bummed not not be racing, but wishing all that entered a good day on the water - hopefully some breeze this year. 

32 minutes ago, Donkey687 said:

Not sure why they don't allow doublehanded boats from the same family. I was looking forward to sailing the race with my daughter.

so is there anything stopping you from rounding up some likeminded folks and having your own 2H event?

4 hours ago, Mr Moab said:

Saw the notice yesterday that due to Covid regs, Singlehanded Sailing Society decided to allow only singlehanded entries in the Three Bridge Fiasco this year. Cant fault them. What I did not notice was the 125 boat entry limit. Went to register last night at around 7pm and was already full.

Bummed not not be racing, but wishing all that entered a good day on the water - hopefully some breeze this year. 

Possibly constraints on the race committee? Running this race with one start finish line for 300 boats (including calling the line for OCS even with the reverse start) is a huge task for a fully staffed race committee. Trying to do it with a few people socially distanced may have been a logistical impossibility.

Just guessing.

I commend the SSS Race committee for their decision. Considering the fact that many double handers in the past races throughout the bay in 2020 were not from the same family bubble did challenge not only the ability to conduct the race safely but does go against the multi-county Covid restriction orders.  If a single sailor needs emergency assistance, first responders are less likely to be challenged by circumstances and demands placed on dealing with solo sailors. We are lucky to be out at all since 400 people a day in California are currently dying of Covid related illness with thousands more hospitalized daily.

Those who are considering sailing double handed that day or with groups not affiliated with the race directly should be advised to stay away from the starting/finishing lines and marks respectively as we all want to put the SSS and the authorized participation in the best community light. Moreover it will be easier to identify those boats by the reduced race committee that have signed up, paid and are participating in this event.

41 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Possibly constraints on the race committee? Running this race with one start finish line for 300 boats (including calling the line for OCS even with the reverse start) is a huge task for a fully staffed race committee. Trying to do it with a few people socially distanced may have been a logistical impossibility.

Just guessing.

I think that is a fair guess. Glad they are getting the race off. No lack of tide on the 30th, hope they will have breeze. 

5 hours ago, Black Jack said:

I commend the SSS Race committee for their decision. Considering the fact that many double handers in the past races throughout the bay in 2020 were not from the same family bubble did challenge not only the ability to conduct the race safely but does go against the multi-county Covid restriction orders.  If a single sailor needs emergency assistance, first responders are less likely to be challenged by circumstances and demands placed on dealing with solo sailors. We are lucky to be out at all since 400 people a day in California are currently dying of Covid related illness with thousands more hospitalized daily.

Those who are considering sailing double handed that day or with groups not affiliated with the race directly should be advised to stay away from the starting/finishing lines and marks respectively as we all want to put the SSS and the authorized participation in the best community light. Moreover it will be easier to identify those boats by the reduced race committee that have signed up, paid and are participating in this event.

I understand that they couldn't allow doublehanders from mixed households, but why not allow family doublehanded to enter?  They could have kept the same entry limit in place so there wouldn't be any additional work for the RC by having some of the entries have a second person from the same family aboard. My guess is that not many people in SSS leadership sail with family members in this race so they aren't sensitive to excluding family boats, but historically the 3BF has had a lot more doublehanded entries (many of them same household) than singlehanded.

Same family and same household aren't the same things.

I don't think they want to start policing public health policy, especially given how flagrantly "same household" guidelines have been violated. We all know people who would push the limits.

• Like 2

Yep, my kids a Sr this year and already accepted to an out-of-state college, so was hoping for a last shot at it for the next few years. We’ll still go sailing, and we’ll stay out of the way. But if the weather is shit, well, I guess we don’t have to go this year!

An alternative to the 3BF is this weekends corinthian midwinters.  They've changed this weekends races to a Saturday 10 mile pursuit race with only household members.  "Household members" is certainly open for interpretation and will unfortunately not be followed by some boats but nonetheless a good alternative if you can't or don't want to race the single handed 3BF this year.

• Like 1

I understand the SSS perspective for a race that some people take seriously. In the Corinthian Friday Night Races the violations of the family/social distancing rules were so flagrant as to make a mockery of the whole exercise. If some teams completely ignore the rule without consequence then better for everyone to sail singlehanded. 

• Like 2
On 1/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, Donkey687 said:

I understand that they couldn't allow doublehanders from mixed households, but why not allow family doublehanded to enter?  They could have kept the same entry limit in place so there wouldn't be any additional work for the RC by having some of the entries have a second person from the same family aboard. My guess is that not many people in SSS leadership sail with family members in this race so they aren't sensitive to excluding family boats, but historically the 3BF has had a lot more doublehanded entries (many of them same household) than singlehanded.

Sailors are already viewed as rich out of touch people by non-sailors.  Better to avoid the negative press regardless of the actual circumstances.

I can't blame the OA

I'll still sail with my kid, don't worry racers, we won't get in the way.

This shit will end. 

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 8:33 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

I understand the SSS perspective for a race that some people take seriously. In the Corinthian Friday Night Races the violations of the family/social distancing rules were so flagrant as to make a mockery of the whole exercise. If some teams completely ignore the rule without consequence then better for everyone to sail singlehanded. 

I get it. But why close it out at 125?

7 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

I get it. But why close it out at 125?

Running this race with one start finish line for 300+ boats (including calling the line for OCS even with the reverse start) is a huge task for a fully staffed race committee. Trying to do it with a few people socially distanced may have been a logistical impossibility.

• Like 1

Remember, last year there were sabout 40-50 singlehanders and 275 doubles. I don't think anybody expected anywhere near 125 singlehanders to sign up.

14 minutes ago, Alan H said:

Remember, last year there were about 40-50 singlehanders and 275 doubles. I don't think anybody expected anywhere near 125 singlehanders to sign up.

Your signature says it all -

Life is short, and the cancer of time is complacency.

If you want to do something, do it now.

Tomorrow is too late.:::Pete Goss

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

Remember, last year there were sabout 40-50 singlehanders and 275 doubles. I don't think anybody expected anywhere near 125 singlehanders to sign up.

I would've given it a go, but still wanted to sail with my daughter. That's more important than a race, anyway.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, Alan H said:

During a normal year there are hundreds of races that can be done, with only a handful this year everyone wants in. Plus its a Bay Area bucket list race to have.

I understand that they couldn't allow doublehanders from mixed households, but why not allow family doublehanded to enter?

Enforcement would be an issue.   As stated the lack of masks, crews from many household, social bubbles the size of Maine have been noticeable.   The USCG has limited the Race Committee to 2 people from the same household.   Very difficult task if there were huge numbers allowed to race.

I was very disheartened to see MANY (at least 5) fully crewed boats....   getting ready to sail Saturday while walking down the dock at the Richmond Yacht Club.   Like 5-7 adults on each, many already not wearing masks, close together getting the boat ready to sail.   I didn't realize the Bay Area still had so many communes of adults cohabitation together.   I loath people who are blatantly breaking the rules and extending our stay at home order.

• Like 1

I questioned one yesterday and got a justification that left me scratching my head:  It was okay because they didn't actually enter the race.

This particular skipper has been using this approach since last Spring.

4 hours ago, BobJ said:

I questioned one yesterday and got a justification that left me scratching my head:  It was okay because they didn't actually enter the race.

This particular skipper has been using this approach since last Spring.

and this is why we can't have nice things.

I have little patience for this. Like.NONE.  I don't like to think of myself as a vengeful person, but honestly I wish people like that would catch it and wind up dangerously sick, only to discover that gosh...the ICU beds locally are all full up.

10 minutes ago, Alan H said:

I have little patience for this. Like.NONE.  I don't like to think of myself as a vengeful person, but honestly I wish people like that would catch it and wind up dangerously sick, only to discover that gosh...the ICU beds locally are all full up.

That is not vengeful. It is epicaricacy. 

1 hour ago, MikeR80 said:

Just go sail the course with whoever you like, who gives a shit whether youre listed in the final results or not? its the three bridge fiasco for crissakes not the pac cup

Just not during the race. Bush move. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Mr Moab said:

Just not during the race. Bush move. 

agreed, if it was a typical race or regatta.  3BF is a total clusterfuck ie fiasco by design.  if you give a shit whether the guy next to you payed the registration fee or not, you don't get it. 

It's a counter for the SSS season and usually a counter for a couple of the OD class seasons - not sure on the latter this year due to it being SH only.

The locals care about the effort the SSS puts into running it and the long history behind it.  It is indeed a fiasco but it's OUR Fiasco.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

Just go sail the course with whoever you like, who gives a shit whether youre listed in the final results or not? its the three bridge fiasco for crissakes not the pac cup

sure. make life harder for the two family members running the race deck. 

I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

• Like 1

Even though it's a fiasco many boats are still trying to do as well as they can and for some boats the points matter in season standings.  Even though the 3BF has a kindler, gentler vibe respect for the racers, the race and RC should still be kept in mind.  Having to tack away because another boat has 3 or more people on board or a boat that isn't even registered is a little annoying and disrespectful to those who paid to race and also to the RC who put in a lot of time and energy to run the race.

Collisions are always a real possibility when 350+ boats race in the 3BF and I can only imagine how upset someone would be if they were involved in a collision with someone who wasn't even registered.  Collisions are potentially even more possible when only 125 single handed boats race this year because many of those 125 probably rarely, if ever, race solo.  It's one the greatest and most unique races out there and even though it's a fun lighthearted race those who are racing and those putting it on should still be treated with the same respect as any other race.  Maybe I'm in the minority but that's my 2 cents...

• Like 3

"Just go sail the course with whoever you like" and "just stay home and let these 125 boats have the bay to themselves" are not the only two options.

No one is telling anyone to stay off the water, just to stay away from a congested starting line w/ two race committee volunteers trying to make sense of 125 singlehanded boats you Florida muppet.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

Yes, in order to avoid the potential possibility of may possibly affecting some beercan-Karen's season championship, everyone should just stay home and let these 125 boats have the bay to themselves and maybe possibly get into collisions because maybe they arent used to single handed sailing...  FOH

Are you this much of an asshole in real life?

12 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

Fun fact: between GPS/AIS/Competitors reporting finish times/Video recording/Mark Set Bots you dont need human RCs on site to run races, and you certainly dont need them for the 3BF.  

Fun facts:

GPS/AIS is not accurate enough to record over early boats in a fleet of a dozen Express 27s or Moore 24s starting in two different directions when there is a time penalty for being over the line early. In this race the R/C also plays a vital safety role in keeping track of which boats have checked in, which boats have started, which boats have withdrawn and which boats have finished. 

Mark set bots cost a fortune and require humans to place them (in any event irrelevant for 3BF which uses fixed marks). 

It is considered poor form for non-racing boats to interfere with boats that are racing. You wouldn't understand this as it involves good manners and good sportsmanship and other concepts which are apparently foreign to you.

• Like 2

From the SSS website:

"The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard"

They made a reasonable decision.  If you don't like it, volunteer to help in someway to make it a fun event.

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, KHSailor said:

From the SSS website:

"The decision was reached by taking into consideration the risks for the needed additional race committee personnel as well as issues with having boats race with mixed households onboard"

They made a reasonable decision.  If you don't like it, volunteer to help in someway to make it a fun event.

It is certainly a reasonable decision but I think a somewhat lazy one and not necessarily the safest one.  If you could enforce same household doublehanded, that would certainly be safer as a lot of boats are sailing singlehanded for the first time that could have sailed doublehanded with a member of their household.  There is no greater COVID risk allowing doublehanded same household if there was compliance with same household. I understand that SSS fears lack of compliance and thus took the easy way out and didn't allow same household doublehanded. Totally reasonable especially for an overtaxed committee already feeling skittish about running the race, but I don't think it would have been impossible to enforce same household doublehanded.  Here is how I would have done it.  

1) Require each person on the doublehanded teams to list their address and certify that they are in the same household (not in the same social bubble, actually residing in the same household).  

2) Publish warning signs on that certification that all teams will be published on the website with both names and subject to protest by any competitor up to 6 months after the event.

3) Anyone found violating the same household provision will be banned from the event for 5 years.

I think those 3 steps would have prevented entries from multiple households and wouldn't have created a lot of extra work for the RC.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

It’s called the singlehanded sailing society, not the double handed sailing society. Glad they are getting back to their roots. 

A real YC should run this regatta.

Hey woody sailor, you notice I said that interfering w/ paid competitors is not appropriate in typical regattas.  I pointed out that this race different, as it is intended to be a FIASCO. Learn to read, ya dumb bastard. And who gives a fuck if some loser thinks this is a big deal for some beercan season championship bullshit? get a life.

PS- you point out the limitations that AIS/GPS have, but ignore the fact that I mentioned VIDEO RECORDING the finish.  Again, learn to read, ya dumb bastard.

• Downvote 1

Way to represent your Coconut Grove Sailing Club there, Mike.

(Not outing him - he changed his location when he decided to be an ass earlier today.  He also hid some of his posts.)

If someone were to take Mike's advice which was to start (on a very congested starting line) and sail the pursuit course inevitably creating bad air and taking lanes away from the competitors I would consider that to be plainly unsportsmanlike and bad manners. It is the fact that the entry list is constrained by COVID that makes it unethical, as well. I can't imagine anyone being a big enough asshole to actually do that based on the social opprobrium from the actual competitors so it would never get to Rule 69. 

Still bad advice, though. 

I suspect SSS ran more "real" races than any "real" yacht club this past year so I am glad they are around.

There will be many double handed non-scored competitors out there, trust me.  And it aint on account of any "advice" from me.  

Some dinosaur wooden boat asshole on the internet doesnt like me, gosh im just crushed. 

• 3 weeks later...

A few pictures are in a flickr gallery = https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU2RA7u

Wylie 39, Punk Dolphin, 2nd Monohull to Finish, 1st Single Handed Spin PHRF 108 and under MW (Manual Winches)

50899703077_ff89745111_c.jpgIMG_6360_DxO 

50897251071_73921310b6_c.jpgIMG_6666_DxO

Sunfast 3200 Barconova, finishing from Treasure Island

50896519218_7200ff706d_c.jpgIMG_6872_DxO 

Details or nuances of Flickr:

Gallery link puts all pictures in Correct Time-Order.

Individual pic links like Punk Dolphin, 
or the SunFast 32000, goes to the image.
Click left-right arrow from the image & it may / will result in Incorrect Time-Order.

• Like 1