Could you, would you, weld a trailer axle (vs. replace)

My trailer has a broken axle.  Welding might quite a bit cheaper than replacement, and less overall hassle.

It's a 2" square tube, maybe 3500# rating (like the springs), cracked between the leaf spring and the hub. It's still intact, but bent so the wheel is tilted against the frame.

In general the trailer isn't rusty.  I don't think rust was the cause of the break.

I know a welder who's mobile and may be able to fix it on site, or do a quick turnaround from his shop.  I haven't asked him yet.

Should I?

Depends on what the trailer is carrying and what/where you are towing.   Million dollar boat, on a hwy, over 1000's of miles forget it.  Garden trailer to your local dump, sure.

I'd want to know why the axle broke. Misaligned, overloaded, faulty construction, faulty steel? Are you just going to push the problem somewhere else.

Deep penetration structural welds take some skill, would want to ensure he knew what he's doing, not just tacking steel together.

Could also sleeve it or put plates on the axle to increase strength of repair.

• Like 1

Without seeing it, I'd say get it welded and have doublers welded across the repair.

The welder can tell you more when they see it.

• Like 2

Your gonna have to build an alignment jig.

If the axle tube is really just 2" box, IFF:

Cut both spindles off.

Get a new piece of 2" box to replace the whole tube.

Build a jig and get that shit straight and burn everything back together.

Bob's yer auntie.

Certainly a trailer axle is a generic trailer shop item. If you go shadetree make sure your insurance and karma are enough to cover the highway fatalities.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blurocketsmate said:

Yup, rust. Was looking at it from the other side last time, where the rust wasn't so apparent.

So, replace.

Not sure if it's the angle of the camera or the picture, but that hanger bolt looks awfully thin. In my mind I see it as a pencil-thin, rusted cookie of rust. 

Snubs

crapity_crap.jpg

• Like 1

I'd replace it.  In the amount of time that it would take to remove the axle, haul it off to a welder and working with them to get it repaired properly and safely, you could buy new and be done with the job.  It's easy work if the boat is off the trailer.  

Good eye on Snubber.  Definitely look at the leaf spring bolts all the way around. 

• Like 1

Yeah^^

Unless you were repairing yourself probably better to replace, it's a fair bit of work to scarf the hub off then the whole thing needs to get aligned, looks like it may have been galvanized so getting clean welds will be a issue.

• Like 1

Measure, order, upgrade. 

Unless the weldor is a buddy and you'll be getting a buddy price, a new axle will probably be in the same neighborhood of the 2-hour minimum most guys charge around here...

I have welding gear and would probably still buy new, unless the spindles and bearings were brand new. The welding wouldn't take long, but the cleanup, prep, and fixture to get it straight... that will.

I went through something similar on a weird little camper that sheared off its spindle... after watching craigslist for a while, I found a new axle that didn't fit as intended, and brought home a fully loaded brake axle for less than $200. It was a delight to work on clean metal!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

Yup, rust. Was looking at it from the other side last time, where the rust wasn't so apparent.

So, replace.

bent-trailer-axle.jpg

Holy shit! That entire trailer needs to go to the junkyard. That wouldn’t be serviceable here in the Philippines, even. And filipinos are world are experts in Structural Rust

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, El Borracho said:

And filipinos are world are experts in Structural Rust

2nd only to Cubans :P

• Like 1
2 hours ago, El Borracho said:

And filipinos are world are experts in Structural Rust

So are all mechanics from Pennsylvania!

I once disassembled a 5-year old Triumph from Pittsburgh with a dull hatchet.  Along the way I found a nice hunk of Oak slid inside part of the frame as a structural repair.  No, I didn't have a Morgan (and I think their frame bits were Ash)

• Like 1

^^^  I actually read that book!  Highly recommended for nerds like us.

FWIW the rest of the trailer is sound, and pretty stout for the boat that's on it. Only the one axle, the springs, and some bolts in that area are rusty.  It needs a new jack too, also a minor repair.

The springs were new when it was towed here 4 years ago. I meant to put Boeshield, etc., on them, but never got around to it. The jack might have survived too, if I had flushed and regreased it.

I used to wonder about all the badly neglected boats everywhere, even in expensive marinas. Why were their owners paying so much for their boats to sit and deteriorate? Sadly, I became one of those people!

thought about doing same type of repair to trailer for 25' Mako... dual axle.. I clipped a fence post and bent it.. same sorta rust on the inside.. in fact I think it's the same axle you've got on that one... only reason I even considered a weldup on it was it's very hard to find one that matches the other old (still good) axle. 

gave up looking for a few months and just starting to source a new axle again. Afraid I may end up buying two.. probably cheaper to find another old trailer and junk this one. .

Oddly enough, sitting in the hallway, delivered yesterday, is a new axle for one of my trailers, also of 2 inch tube, cost ..£78 delivered. Though the hub mountings are separate, just a plate for the hub and suspension to be transferred across to.

Yours needs replacing,

Time, for me to get the axle across to the shed, before SWMBO starts complaining..

20 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

thought about doing same type of repair to trailer for 25' Mako... dual axle.. I clipped a fence post and bent it.. same sorta rust on the inside.. in fact I think it's the same axle you've got on that one... only reason I even considered a weldup on it was it's very hard to find one that matches the other old (still good) axle. 

gave up looking for a few months and just starting to source a new axle again. Afraid I may end up buying two.. probably cheaper to find another old trailer and junk this one. .

I found this one for $216...

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/3500lb-custom-trailer-axle-2-x-2-galvanized-tube?variant=36463389386

...but I'll keep looking. At the length I need there's an extra $80 shipping charge on top of the regular shipping charge. 

11 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

I found this one for $216...

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/3500lb-custom-trailer-axle-2-x-2-galvanized-tube?variant=36463389386

...but I'll keep looking. At the length I need there's an extra $80 shipping charge on top of the regular shipping charge. 

when I was looking end of last summer. everything was on 10-12 week backorder.. for the axles I found that would fit the frame, I could only find 5 lug hubs.. 

have 4 relatively new tires(no rot) on 6lug *5.5" wheels. I wasn't too concerned about brakes, so an idler axle was fine. This trailer isn't intended to be an over the road rig.. just move it around a boatyard, or into my backyard rig. 

• Like 1