Spreader Anarchy

Just bought a San Jaun 24 in very much ready to roll racy shape. But she needs new upper stay installed, and i have that. But the end cap to the spreader is missing. I knew we saw it. But now its gone. 

Anyone know where to get this???? Aerospreader I think he said, no longer in biz. Sail boat wrecking yard here in lynden will check tomorrow if he has one, $50 for the whole spreader. Easy.

But what is my backup plan if he doesnt?

This is exactly what is missing. 

Screenshot_20210118-150100_Message+.jpg

Called betts, they dont have one. If i need to fab one i have a local machinist. But then i have to take the other one off for a pattern. Maybe i should make an extra to have around, or replace both i guess and keep the other for a pattern if anyone needs. 

13 hours ago, mgs said:

Depends on how nice you want it to look. It’s just capturing the wire. You could drill a hole in the spreader and seize it if you wanted. 

so wouldn't that cause the wire to chafe thru the spreader?  also change up the phsyics of the rig? Does moving the upper stayr inboard 1.5 inches at the spreader make a difference in the math? What about it simply being different from side to side?

I am going to go racing and push this boat. I love to sail when its 20 kts or so too.

Def leaning away from this, but curious to know the answers to these questions.

Rig rite goes to Sparcraft/isomat spreaders and those look close, but not just what I lost. I have a pic of the exact piece that is lost.

sj24 spreader cap.jpg

3 hours ago, Baldur said:

so wouldn't that cause the wire to chafe thru the spreader?  also change up the phsyics of the rig? Does moving the upper stayr inboard 1.5 inches at the spreader make a difference in the math? What about it simply being different from side to side?

I am going to go racing and push this boat. I love to sail when its 20 kts or so too.

Def leaning away from this, but curious to know the answers to these questions.

I cant tell in the other set of pictures, but is there a second piece that gets captured by the 'u' that the wire bears against, or does the wire bear against the end of the spreader anyway? If it just bears on the spreader then the shroud location isn't changing.

If you are going to push the boat, I would find something that resembled the missing piece, but all that piece is doing is keeping the wire from leaving the spreader tip.

you could try, Dwyer or Zephyr spars on the east coast. They might have something that could work.

you could also fab it up out of delrin if you were bored at home some night.

The delrin idea is good, have to check with the class to make sure no one will complain. I have a machinist that could copy the other one, but we want to go for a sail! I will check with dwyer, on of the SJ24 fleet also just suggested that they probably had some of the original contracts. Well check zephyr too. Thanks!

6 hours ago, Pinching said:

Dremel tool, G10 and patience.  Carve your own in an hour.  

If not class legal, cover with rigging tape.

i was just thinking, it would take about 30 mins with a piece of wood, table saw, and a drill... 

and to everyone even mentioning "class legal"  , just when in the history of sailing has any class rules ever mention spreader tips?   

"Oy, i just got me some unobtanium spreader tips,  it'll make me go .000000000000002  knots faster, only cost me an arm and a leg"