South Aus inshore trailerable boat racing

We have started our cracker time of year for inshore racing, a couple of days we did a 39km race around the bay at Robe, cats, dinghy’s and trailer sailers having a great time. Here’s a video 

In five days time we race from Milang to Goolwa at the end of the Murray river across the big lake, 49km of racing with between 100 and 200 trailerable boats. Then a couple of weeks later we do the longest race in Aus for inshore boats, 70km from Goolwa to Meningie across the two big lakes at the end of the Murray River. No covid in our state so we are sailing, giving each other shit on the water and getting pissed together, regardless the type of boat. Including the power boats that do the start, safety etc

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The Milang to Goolwa race across lake Alexandrina down the last leg of the Murray river into Goolwa, run by Goolwa Regatta Yacht Club, biggest race for trailerable sailing craft in South Aus by a long way, cats start last then race through the fleet and I try and get as many of the other boats on video as possible, was variable wind and the temperature started at about 30 degrees and finished at 45 degrees making handling the mast packing up pretty hot on the hands

The Goolwa to Meningie race if tomorrow, this race is from Goolwa up the Murray river, across the top of lake Alexandrina, down the creek called the Narrows that joins to lake Albert  and then the last 20km to the top of lake Albert, wind forecast is right on the safe limit from the fastest wind angle, if the race goes ahead and the forecast is right we could do the 70km in about two and a half hours. 

• Like 3

The longest freshwater race in Australia. Back in 2007 to 2010, there wasn’t enough water in the lakes to run the race due to prolonged drought and upstream river mismanagement.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/

http://www.users.on.net/~meningiesc/Goolwa to Meningie.htm

As an ex South Australian, I have old friends in the area, and IIRC, my youngest brother, RIP, did it on an 18ft skiff many years ago.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sidecar said:

So what happened?

Mate it was the most brutal race I have done in my life anywhere, the forecast was for basically downwind the whole 70km but the last 20km was a beam reach in heaps of wind across the last lake, I got knocked off the side of the boat so many times in gusts just under 30 knots that we let the sails off and sat in doing near 20 knots, still nearly capsizing a couple of times. I won on handicap because I didn’t capsize or break anything. Quote of the day was my wife who’s not far of 60yo writhing around on the floor with cramp after the race, yelling out how long can we keep doing this for, I replied “ I’m not sure but we’re doing it again in November” hehehe. It is an epic race and yes we did lose our water for a few years but we have plenty now. I will edit the video and do a proper write up, including the Diam and Farrier but as a seasonal worker with only half a year to earn my income I need to find some time, thanks for your interest, next big race is the Goolwa to Milang on March 6th which is typically a 45km downwind run

On 2/13/2021 at 8:56 PM, madboutcats said:

I will edit the video and do a proper write up, including the Diam and Farrier

That will be interesting..... It is a race that I wouldn’t mind doing with my boat, but there are logistical issues....

Congratulations on your win and your wife......

Say hello to Keith McBride for me....Ran into Adrian Heard the other day, at our local jetty in King George Sound. What are the chances?!!

I don’t think Ray raced, I’ll post pics of the division times and names when I can get them, it was a small fleet due to being rescheduled from November due to Covid but also others pulled out due to the forecast, I don’t see much of Keith and Vicky but see most of the other people on the southeastern AJ & PA properties. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...