OLympics.....Just vaccinate all the athletes

There are rumors that there is pressure to postpone or even cancel the Olympics again.

The organizers say they cannot postpone.  I think it would be a damn shame for all the athletes from any sport if they cancelled. We have the vaccines , although the supply is tight vs world population. Cannot we make them a priority population and just host the games as a TV event so that the world has something at least to look forward to and bond us together.

The alternative is that the athletes arrive, test and quarantine for 2 weeks....although frankly isnt vaccine capacity as important to expand as testing capacity.

• Like 2

Last week it was Charles Barclay saying pro athletes should all get vacinated, now this. How about everyone just wait quietly for your turn, enough with this jump the line stuff.

• Like 2

I think the Tokyo Olympic Committee is determined to go ahead. The testing upon landing at NRT and HND are part of this program. The test events have gone off without a hitch. The ethics of jocks getting the vaccine ahead of others is an ethical issue, of course. Regardless, the Olympics are on no matter what as per TOC. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

What makes them more important than everyone else??

Nothing. They are the least likely to suffer long term. Test the athletes like they do in all other professional sports.

That hundreds (if not thousands) of jobs, even if temporary, rely on the games? 

What makes me more important than anyone else?

The only reason I suggested they get vaccinated is that it involves international travel from all corners of the globe and we dont want to create a super spreader occurrence.  Many can shelter st home and still do their job online. Grocery clerks and olympic athletes cannot......so I would like to see both categories inoculated.

IMHO, If you are an athlete at that level, You damn sure have been in quarantine and self isolating since this thing began.  Teams at that level have been doing the same thing the pro's do and I would trust them to self police a hell of alot better than the general population up to their event(after, all bets are off.) I do see Eye's point about world unity and the power of sport though, so if the vaccine is available, well...  It might just do what eye hopes and unify a bleak world at a time where it is desperately needed.   

And, Where else are you going to get Tens of Thousands of people together to do a mass Vac event??  Change it from a potential superspreader event to a world vaccination party...   

11 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

What makes me more important than anyone else?

The only reason I suggested they get vaccinated is that it involves international travel from all corners of the globe and we dont want to create a super spreader occurrence.  Many can shelter st home and still do their job online. Grocery clerks and olympic athletes cannot......so I would like to see both categories inoculated.

You are looking at this from the perspective of the US. Even though the vaccination program here has been f****ked up royally, we are way ahead much of the rest of the world. Much of the world won't even have a chance to vaccinate until well after the Olympics are scheduled. Even then do you propose that a few privileged athletes get shots before doctors and nurses? 

44 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

That hundreds (if not thousands) of jobs, even if temporary, rely on the games? 

Most Olympics rely heavily on volunteers to fill all the temporary positions.   Most of the loss will be to local businesses that stand to have a one-time revenue windfall.  The construction of the venues is usually the biggest job creator - I think they were planning only modifications to existing venues, but I could be wrong.

Watching the response of govt & athletes going thru prep for the Australian Tennis Open, I'd say there's only a slim chance of Tokyo going ahead...athletes from around the world are complaining about quarantine and lack of practice (despite the terms of attendance being fully explained prior to committing)....the populace is asking why these pampered people are getting access to quarantine facilities ahead of other citizens trying to return to the country....and why their health /economy is being put at risk by bringing people from around the world to a covid free zone....The answer is MONEY..but that isn't going over well with the public. It'll take just a handful of positive tests to derail events and schedules....I just don't think the roll out and protection it affords will be in place in time.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

Most Olympics rely heavily on volunteers to fill all the temporary positions.   Most of the loss will be to local businesses that stand to have a one-time revenue windfall.  The construction of the venues is usually the biggest job creator - I think they were planning only modifications to existing venues, but I could be wrong.

When talking about jobs I obviously was not thinking about volunteers. But from the semislave workers in Asia that make shirts, flags and other memorabilia and the guys who sell this stuff all over the world, to the TV workers and bars where the turn their tv's for people to watch their national teams and athletes compete, along with all the related industries (local and foreign), Hell, even all the economy generated the years before and after the games, there's a lot at stake for many people.

And of course, the athletes. I'm pretty sure participating in an Olimpiad changes your life forever.

50 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

You are looking at this from the perspective of the US. Even though the vaccination program here has been f****ked up royally, we are way ahead much of the rest of the world. Much of the world won't even have a chance to vaccinate until well after the Olympics are scheduled. Even then do you propose that a few privileged athletes get shots before doctors and nurses? 

Rum......I really dont know. Vaccinations are going to be a political nightmare.

Take our country. Yes we care deeply about vaccinating the whole world......but Im guessing that behind closed doors the new administration is going to justify using all the vaccinations they pre-paid for to get the US back on track. I think if Olympic athletes from less developed nations get a vaccine, they wont be getting it ahead of their doctors and nurses, but getting ahead of the US 50 year olds.  The allocation would almost certainly come from the developed world allocation as a donation to making the Olympics happen. 

Anyway...just a thought.  If the worlds athletes were seen to take the vaccine, it would send a message about the safety of the vaccine.

2 minutes ago, slug zitski said:

The athletes are not the problem 

the massive Olympic  crowd is the issue 

hold the olympics in closed  stadiums , venues ...with no fans 

Indeed.

But as a primarily TV event?

Or do we think they will cancel.  Cancellation would be major blow.  I recall when they postponed it, it didnt feel like they put it back far enough.

4 hours ago, JEA said:

I think the real issue for Japan is that no one will come watch the games.  They would lose a lot of visitors and revenues.

That doesn't matter so much because hotel occupancy is so high in Tokyo in any case. The real point from the prestige point of view was making Tokyo relevant again after the lost decade(s). If there are empty seats to be filled, school kids will be sent to fill them like any other international sports event in Japan. 

5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

If the worlds athletes were seen to take the vaccine, it would send a message about the safety of the vaccine.

Really?  Surely we could see through why they were taking the vaccine and safety has nothing to do with it.

9 hours ago, sailman said:

Cancel the Olympics, see how many people care

yea really, who care at all

6 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Grocery clerks and olympic athletes cannot......so I would like to see both categories inoculated.

Grocery clerks do a important if not vital job. Olympic athletes are just avoiding getting one. This is as stupid as the Australian open tennis fuckup. Bring covid from all around the world. We have just had the Indian Cricket team touring Australia for the last 4 months and that was going well until yesterday when we lost the test series to them. You shouldn't play games with covid 19.

apart from the message of privileged people go first, the lack of spectators etc the idea of an international super spreader event during a pandemic! Get the fuck outa here!

the 5 ring human circus itself is a hot mess of corruption and political dick waving, fuck the olympics. it sucks a lot of money out of our sailing scene in the pursuit of gongs

19 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Indeed.

But as a primarily TV event?

Or do we think they will cancel.  Cancellation would be major blow.  I recall when they postponed it, it didnt feel like they put it back far enough.

The competitive  life span of an elite athlete is very short 

why would you wish to punish these athletes by canceling the Olympic cycle ? 

2 hours ago, slug zitski said:

The competitive  life span of an elite athlete is very short 

why would you wish to punish these athletes by canceling the Olympic cycle ? 

Because we are in the middle of a global pandemic and entitled people who play games for a living should go get a real job that contributes to more than themselves and a few sycophants. 

• Like 1
On 1/19/2021 at 7:50 PM, shaggy said:

IMHO, If you are an athlete at that level, You damn sure have been in quarantine and self isolating since this thing began.  Teams at that level have been doing the same thing the pro's do and I would trust them to self police a hell of alot better than the general population up to their event(after, all bets are off.) I do see Eye's point about world unity and the power of sport though, so if the vaccine is available, well...  It might just do what eye hopes and unify a bleak world at a time where it is desperately needed.   

And, Where else are you going to get Tens of Thousands of people together to do a mass Vac event??  Change it from a potential superspreader event to a world vaccination party...   

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/shortcuts/2016/jul/18/rio-2016-42-condoms-per-athlete-olympic-village-sex#:~:text=The number of condoms provided,sexual activity is well-earned.

Rio 2016's record-breaking haul: 42 condoms per athlete

The number of condoms provided to athletes suggests that the Olympic Village’s reputation as a hotbed of sexual activity is well-earned. Is that really the case?

On 1/20/2021 at 3:31 AM, EYESAILOR said:

There are rumors that there is pressure to postpone or even cancel the Olympics again.

The organizers say they cannot postpone.  I think it would be a damn shame for all the athletes from any sport if they cancelled. We have the vaccines , although the supply is tight vs world population. Cannot we make them a priority population and just host the games as a TV event so that the world has something at least to look forward to and bond us together.

The alternative is that the athletes arrive, test and quarantine for 2 weeks....although frankly isnt vaccine capacity as important to expand as testing capacity.

It's actually not a bad idea, the number of athletes wouldn't even be material in terms of numbers of vaccines needed/produced.

yup, the numbers involved are tiny, so get them all vaccinated and make it a TV event. I'd be sad to see it cancelled, it could serve as a marker for the world emerging from the pandemic.

26 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

yup, the numbers involved are tiny, so get them all vaccinated and make it a TV event. I'd be sad to see it cancelled, it could serve as a marker for the world emerging from the pandemic.

To see a bunch of privileged mostly professional athletes play games?  Very inspiring... 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

The games are fun to watch but I don't think a TV only event will cover the billions spent bidding and then building for a couple week event.  Its out of control.  Money would be better spent elsewhere.  These numbers are staggering.  

Olympics-Costs-Graphic-BGR-1300x590_3.jpg

• Like 1

In Tokyo, there just isn't all that much that was built for the Olympics. It's many of the same venues as 1964, including the sailing. 

I got a chuckle over 1998 winter that couldn't be bothered with a budget.

It would be a worthless accounting exercise.

I can see the meeting play out...

"Hey Frank, how much you think this Olympic thingie is going to cost?"

"I don't know Marge... could be expensive... but think of the jobs and international prestige!"

"Ok... lets do it."

"Is it lunchtime?  Why yes it is!  Lets break for the afternoon."

"Want to go skiing?"

"No, skiing is for those elitist a-holes with too much money... And cold, wet with too much gear"

"Right, nobody really likes doing that, lets go sailing then, ok?"

"Sure!" 

On January 19, 2021 at 9:38 PM, Benytoe said:

yea really, who care at all

It gives me something to watch on TV, now that there won't be anymore  protest or violence or looting

On 1/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, sailman said:

Cancel the Olympics, see how many people care

Don't care if I never here about the Olympics again. 

On 1/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, slug zitski said:

The athletes are not the problem 

the massive Olympic  crowd is the issue 

hold the olympics in closed  stadiums , venues ...with no fans 

of just have sailing events...nobody watches those anyways  ;-)

• Like 1
On January 21, 2021 at 7:58 AM, sailman said:

To see a bunch of privileged mostly professional athletes play games?  Very inspiring... 

Come on, the basketball team is not professional. LOL

The Olympics have devolved into a TV crap sports show that exists to support a huge bureaucracy of overpaid non-athletes. We get the latest TV faves (tell me break dancing and water ballet are serious sport) and we forget about the real sports that take years of training and dedication to master.  These sports are there because the network bosses think they bring in more of the favored demographic that buys Coca Cola and McDonalds. 

On top you have the Olympic suits who earn lots of money from the network fees and sponsorship deals while leaving real athletes to starve.  

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

The Olympics have devolved into a TV crap sports show that exists to support a huge bureaucracy of overpaid non-athletes. We get the latest TV faves (tell me break dancing and water ballet are serious sport) and we forget about the real sports that take years of training and dedication to master.  These sports are there because the network bosses think they bring in more of the favored demographic that buys Coca Cola and McDonalds. 

On top you have the Olympic suits who earn lots of money from the network fees and sponsorship deals while leaving real athletes to starve.  

Worse yet, we add pointless rules to "boring" sports in a vain attempt to draw a TV audience. Case in point, medal races. I'm sure in a few more decades we'll have some sort of convoluted "Chase for the Cup" system.