It's hoot'n in So Cal

Sail flow shows an SCE monitoring station above Ventura at 88knts with gusts to 132knts dam.

At the oxnard airport  50 gusting to 80.

Reminds me of the Santana event in the 80's during Thanksgiving. 

6 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Sail flow shows an SCE monitoring station above Ventura at 88knts with gusts to 132knts dam.

At the oxnard airport  50 gusting to 80.

Reminds me of the Santana event in the 80's during Thanksgiving. 

Harvest Platform?

Who remembers when they changed to SoCal marine weather from multiple buoys to a model extrapolated from Harvest Platform. Someone just sat down with a century's worth of data and reduced it down to a single point.

Anyway, sounds like here last week. Lots of large trees down, power outages, etc.

Here is a screen shot around 2:30pm.

It is the data from the arrow with the 82. The station by the cross in ventura.

The blue dot below the 58 is where I am.

Screenshot_20210119-142208_SailFlow.thumb.jpg.62b5918e2e779fde489e7a28d5824026.jpg

16 hours ago, Ultraman said:

I think kph is km/h, but I may be wrong.

58 kph = 31 kts.  Still pretty windy.

Fracking apps, SF must have updated, all my settings were reset. 

I should have put my glasses on. Duh

• Like 1

Right after I posted above, I mean RIGHT AFTER, it blew up at my place, gusting to 30 and it was solid overcast, not like your usual Santa Anna-CAVU to the moon sky. Never seen it do that before.

16 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

Friend of mine was over in Catalina, said that the Harbor Patrol came around on Monday and told everyone to get out or go to Cat Harbor.

I’ve seen photos of Avalon harbor during anSA event. Scary!

On 1/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, kinardly said:

Right after I posted above, I mean RIGHT AFTER, it blew up at my place, gusting to 30 and it was solid overcast, not like your usual Santa Anna-CAVU to the moon sky. Never seen it do that before.

shed on the side of my house loaded with stuff relocated about 10 feet across the yard and the doors blew off. it was definitely honking here in the 805.

On 1/19/2021 at 3:02 PM, Somebody Else said:

Harvest Platform?

Who remembers when they changed to SoCal marine weather from multiple buoys to a model extrapolated from Harvest Platform. Someone just sat down with a century's worth of data and reduced it down to a single point.

Anyway, sounds like here last week. Lots of large trees down, power outages, etc.

Dead head o rama here, if you can see them...expand the pics...70 k gusts, only lost power for 19 hours :P

1224EA3F-1FF7-41F1-92DC-3E6EE210064D.jpeg

1D3B810A-BFF9-47D7-9C45-F29861DC4B01.jpeg

On 1/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, bigrpowr said:

shed on the side of my house loaded with stuff relocated about 10 feet across the yard and the doors blew off. it was definitely honking here in the 805.

I had some shit blown over that I can barely push around. Out side my fence line there is a vortex that develops in an east wind and anything I plant there seems to get ripped apart and sucked out of the ground. It's a  convergence zone.

18 hours ago, socalrider said:

Looks like more fun on the way!

C0B4CF3B-232C-4F63-AE5F-BBEC6DB36B05.jpeg

I always wondered why Sailing does not a Mavericks type event. When the Blow is predicted to come in, we all go for a big time downhill ride.
Something we can do in a good 8 to 12 hour run. Start in Morning Sun Light and finish in Evening Sun Light. I would think this would be popular amongst the Trailerable 24' (some models)  to 35' range and some big boats in the area. Of course all SER and CG rules must be met. I doubt a YC would want to be involved but a bunch of sailors having fun???

On 1/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, Amati said:

Dead head o rama here, if you can see them...expand the pics...70 k gusts, only lost power for 19 hours :P

Oh yeah! The day after, I was motoring just between two marinas and was dodging deadheads the whole way.

10 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

I always wondered why Sailing does not a Mavericks type event. When the Blow is predicted to come in, we all go for a big time downhill ride.
Something we can do in a good 8 to 12 hour run. Start in Morning Sun Light and finish in Evening Sun Light. I would think this would be popular amongst the Trailerable 24' (some models)  to 35' range and some big boats in the area. Of course all SER and CG rules must be met. I doubt a YC would want to be involved but a bunch of sailors having fun???

I don’t think many SoCal coastal sailors are geared up for 35kts and 45-55deg temps. Everything from rigging to sail wardrobe to foulies is optimized for under 20k and over 65f. I did a race a couple years ago in these conditions and it was pretty fucking miserable, won’t do it again. I’ve grown soft, what can I say. Maybe if I was 20 years younger. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, socalrider said:

I don’t think many SoCal coastal sailors are geared up for 35kts and 45-55deg temps. Everything from rigging to sail wardrobe to foulies is optimized for under 20k and over 65f. I did a race a couple years ago in these conditions and it was pretty fucking miserable, won’t do it again. I’ve grown soft, what can I say. Maybe if I was 20 years younger. 

How many windsurfers still do the Gorge?  

On 1/21/2021 at 10:44 AM, kinardly said:

I’ve seen photos of Avalon harbor during anSA event. Scary!

When I lived in Avalon we had a pretty good Santa Ana blow up one September. I had an old H-28 ketch anchored out at Pebbly Beach totally exposed and taking a beating. She was on 2 anchors off the bow in about 35' of water, but I'd dove the anchors previously and found some rode chafing on the many engine blocks (former moorings) strewn about on the bottom so decided I better bring her into the harbor.

I launched my cheapo Sevylor inflatable into the 3-4' surf and promptly broke one of the aluminum oars and cut my hand badly. By the time I'd single paddled out to the boat, maybe 100' out, everything was pretty bloody and slick. I got aboard with difficulty and realized I'd have to leave both rodes there as I couldn't have hauled them up and gotten away before blowing ashore. I tied them off to the inflatable, raised the mizzen and main, kicked over the old Albin 10 hp gas engine (which started without a problem for once), dropped the rodes and bore away. With the engine powering ahead and the sails drawing she was making way but I had to struggle to keep her pinched because if I bore off and the sails filled it was close to a knock down.

Bingo, as if on schedule the engine quit! Fortunately I was starboard tacking toward the harbor about a mile away so just let the sheets fly and played the mainsheet to keep her moving in the right direction. It was miserable with the deck, tiller and sheets wet with sticky  blood, me feeling the early twinges of seasickness, sails and sheets flapping wildly and only 100' off a lee shore in a 50 kt SA.

So I get just off the entrance, roughly where the cruise ships anchor and turn left expecting a brisk run in, an easy roundup and pick up one of the many empty moorings. I make the turn, just start making way and shit be fuck, becalmed! I look around and it's still white capping outside with surf breaking in Lover's Cove, but absolutely breathless in the harbor. I guess the wind piles into the canyon, backs up and causes a high pressure bubble that deflects it up off the surface. I'd seen a similar situation happen frequently when sailing in Newport Harbor so managed to gybe and creep back out into the big blow. Two times I tried it again, from further west and again from over by Lover's Cove, each time totally becalmed and rolling miserably as soon as I got anywhere near the breakwater.

By this time I was pretty relieved to see one of the Harbor Patrol that I was on good terms with idling out to chat. There was no Vessel Assist in Avalon at that time so he knew I had no options without an anchor aboard and agreed to tow me in and put me on a mooring. I imagine he might have felt a little guilty enjoying the entertainment I'd been giving everyone in the harbor for the last hour or so and that might have caused him to feel a little sympathy, because usually they won't offer a tow unless the vessel is in imminent danger.  Unfortunately it was a mooring that was only barely protected by the breakwater, so I was still rolling badly and bringing down the drapes was pretty miserable.

After the sails were tied down I collapsed on my bunk with a bucket of puke for company, too seasick to reach for the VHF and call for a ride. Fortunately, about an hour later a Shoreboat pulled by and offered me a lift, but getting my ass off that bunk was one of the harder things I've done on a sailboat.

Not surprisingly, I'd only just got home when I looked down and saw the wind dying and within another hour or so it was almost dead calm.

That's my Santa Ana in Avalon sea story. Someone buy me a rum drink!

• Like 4

That blow earlier this week was one of the nastiest Santa Anas I've seen, especially unusual in mid January.  A local station was reporting 51 gusting to 77 mph. The old curmudgeon who lives in the trailer park on the other side of the block wall I tied my boat to kept poking his beak over the wall and giving unwanted advice.  He usually sits on his rusted-out exercise bike smoking cigarettes and complaining about the boat yard.  The same boat yard that was right there when he purchased his mobile home.  

On 1/23/2021 at 1:27 PM, Meat Wad said:

The biggest safety factor that keeps me ashore during the 30kt+ Is the sea state. It’s not rare to see the swell buoys measuring 5m at 8sec. That’s plus gusts to 45 or 50 makes for survival sailing. 

that said, the morning after a Santa Ana can make for excellent conditions, 20kts reaching all the way to Catalina. 

24 minutes ago, silent bob said:

It’s gonna nuke tomorrow!

FD74A057-651F-46E4-9D21-F1ECAEAB8297.png

Fcuk yeah.  Let's get the sleds out and go.......Oh wait, they're too old and delicate!!

23 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Fcuk yeah.  Let's get the sleds out and go.......Oh wait, they're too old and delicate!!

Is that like “Don’t sail in a boat smaller than your age”?  Don’t sail in more wind than your boats age”!  

3 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Is that like “Don’t sail in a boat smaller than your age”?  Don’t sail in more wind than your boats age”!  

Or is it more , The sleds are burning in the winds? 

Fracking woke up at 3 am and the wind gusts sound like someone was punching the side of my house.

One thing about a westerly blow, the density of the wind sure is different from an easterly santana.

PZZ750-241430-  Coastal Waters from San Mateo Point to the Mexican Border and out  to 30 nm-  209 PM PST Sat Jan 23 2021    
SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH  LATE SUNDAY NIGHT  GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY  EVENING  

MON  Wind NW 25 to 35 kt with gusts to 40 kt. Combined seas  12 ft dominant period 10 seconds...building to 18 ft dominant  period 12 seconds in the afternoon. Slight chance of tstms in the  morning. Chance of showers.

MON NIGHT  Wind NW 25 to 35 kt with gusts to 45 kt. Combined  seas 19 ft dominant period 12 seconds... subsiding to 17 ft  dominant period 12 seconds after midnight. Chance of showers.

Looks like a container ship got off its anchor off LB. Drifting beam-to in front of NB now:

IMG_5147 (2).JPG

Edit: I'll take my Blokart out in CdM Main Beach parking lot around noon today. Free rides if anyone's interested.

1 hour ago, EarthBM said:

Looks like a container ship got off its anchor off LB. Drifting beam-to in front of NB now:

IMG_5147 (2).JPG

Edit: I'll take my Blokart out in CdM Main Beach parking lot around noon today. Free rides if anyone's interested.

Be careful, asphalt is not friendly to a mast sock or the mast. Gusty winds can be tough to predict.

I had a chat with one of the guys at the club dry storage. He said during the big east winds many boats were leaning and you could see the leaf springs on the trailers uncompressing. My little hatch cover was shredded.

Ventura Yacht club recorded gusts over 40 kts. and yes, my boat was well heeled over on the trailer and everything was under duress.  Being 16 feet wide and maybe 1200 pounds is more conducive to being an aeroplane than a sailboat when it's blowing like that.  

5 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Be careful, asphalt is not friendly to a mast sock or the mast. Gusty winds can be tough to predict.

Prescient, except it was a car being hard to predict. Put a few laps in. Tacking angles constrained by the bending mast. 

63DFD8D0-2089-4760-B7F0-3CC22A399031.jpeg

2 hours ago, mundt said:

Ventura Yacht club recorded gusts over 40 kts. and yes, my boat was well heeled over on the trailer and everything was under duress.  Being 16 feet wide and maybe 1200 pounds is more conducive to being an aeroplane than a sailboat when it's blowing like that.  

I did not realize VYC had a 16' beam in the yard.

2 hours ago, EarthBM said:

Prescient, except it was a car being hard to predict. Put a few laps in. Tacking angles constrained by the bending mast. 

63DFD8D0-2089-4760-B7F0-3CC22A399031.jpeg

Boy, that is a tight course in a Blokart in this breeze. You must have felt like an AC foiler.. :)

1 minute ago, Meat Wad said:

Boy, that is a tight course in a Blokart in this breeze. You must have felt like an AC foiler.. :)

Yep, decision windows were less than 0.25 of a second. Couldn't get the wheel to fly consistently, too gusty between rocks and structures. Should've used the smaller sail

A twice a year kind of wind here.

I'm in the dry storage, not VYC, at least I hope I'm still there tomorrow... Last week gusts of well over 50kts from the East, today 45 kts from the West. Unpleasant.

4 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

Yep, decision windows were less than 0.25 of a second. Couldn't get the wheel to fly consistently, too gusty between rocks and structures. Should've used the smaller sail

A twice a year kind of wind here.

2 meter sail is a must. I use it every other time I go to Ivanpah

2 minutes ago, mundt said:

I'm in the dry storage, not VYC, at least I hope I'm still there tomorrow... Last week gusts of well over 50kts from the East, today 45 kts from the West. Unpleasant.

I am guessing you know which boat is mine?? Not sure which is yours. 16' beam is a pretty big boat.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:23 PM, Meat Wad said:

2 meter sail is a must. I use it every other time I go to Ivanpah

I am guessing you know which boat is mine?? Not sure which is yours. 16' beam is a pretty big boat.

L7’s are 16’ wide on 23’ main hill length.  Is that big?

Was absolutely ripping on Monday. About 50 Freighters/Tankers/Cruise Ships currently anchored off LA/LB/Huntington. Big bottleneck at the Terminals with Covid affecting the workforce. With so many ships outside, some were exposed to the 50 kts and 17' seas, and dragging anchor. Many sought refuge behind the East Ends of Catalina and SC Island. Never seen that before.

51 minutes ago, Irrational 14 said:

Was absolutely ripping on Monday. About 50 Freighters/Tankers/Cruise Ships currently anchored off LA/LB/Huntington. Big bottleneck at the Terminals with Covid affecting the workforce. With so many ships outside, some were exposed to the 50 kts and 17' seas, and dragging anchor. Many sought refuge behind the East Ends of Catalina and SC Island. Never seen that before.

Yup, pretty crowded out there!  Quite the view driving down 25th Street!  Mmmm....haven’t had Busy Bee in a while!  

D29E50D2-BA4D-4D97-A75F-8BF940E7EA80.png

On 1/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, Raz'r said:

Is that a gust to 72!!!?

3 hours ago, DryArmour said:

Yes. 

Santa Barbara Island gets pretty windy.

I'm still waiting for the Winter Storm they have talked about the last 2 days. So far nothing but wind.