• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Forourselves said:

No event in Aussie. Does that mean no Aussie team?

No, they are still in it. On the SailGP website:

" SailGP racing is being planned for the Australia/New Zealand region in the early part of 2022. "

10 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

No, they are still in it. On the SailGP website:

" SailGP racing is being planned for the Australia/New Zealand region in the early part of 2022. "

Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor. At the beginning of 2020 I was told that Russel would be OK swapping out the AUS team for an NZ team if the Aussies couldn't pay their way. But I haven't heard since if they have survived the Covid break?

3 hours ago, Flags said:

Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor. At the beginning of 2020 I was told that Russel would be OK swapping out the AUS team for an NZ team if the Aussies couldn't pay their way. But I haven't heard since if they have survived the Covid break?

Both Aussie & kiwi teams for SailGP 2021/22 Lyttelton was likened to San Fransisco by Sir Russell in his press statement

30 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Both Aussie & kiwi teams for SailGP 2021/22 Lyttelton was likened to San Fransisco by Sir Russell in his press statement

Yip. Exactly the same. Except the bridge. 

4 hours ago, Flags said:

Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor.

Maybe Clive is a prospect? Well cashed up, likes (stink) boats, happy to waste tens of millions on hopeless cases, in need of a PR coup. Might need to change the livery to overall canary yellow with a feint green pinstripe.

No event in Aus might be an issue though…

13 hours ago, RobG said:

Maybe Clive is a prospect? Well cashed up, likes (stink) boats, happy to waste tens of millions on hopeless cases, in need of a PR coup. Might need to change the livery to overall canary yellow with a feint green pinstripe.

No event in Aus might be an issue though…

I understand the no event in Aus is only this season as there was an event at the beginning of the aborted Season 2 in Sydney and as this season is also being truncated by COVID one less event is planned than usual.

14 minutes ago, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

Nice but that isn’t Lyttelton?

Hah was posted in response to Rskiff claiming Akaroa was Lyttleton  in error but wow going to be an interesting regatta in Lyttleton.

46 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Hah was posted in response to Rskiff claiming Akaroa was Lyttleton  in error but wow going to be an interesting regatta in Lyttleton.

ha, can't you spell Lyttelton :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Rskiff said:
On 1/21/2021 at 7:52 AM, Priscilla said:

lower end of harbour, will be up further

Sorry mate. You are sadly mistook.  This a heavily-distorted wide angle view of the innermost end of Lyttelton Harbour. Not 100 percent certain of my bearings but the bottom left end of the pix appears to show Governor's Bay which is widely recognized as the head of the harbour.  The longer inlet to the right is called Head of the Bay. The headlands of the harbour mouth are dimly visible in the morning mist at the top left of the pix. It has been a while but as I recall the water in the lower part of the photo is pretty thin, especially at low tide.

The port, which is the largest in the South Island, is located about half way down the harbour on its northern flank.. The harbour is a drowned volcano with precious little flat land on its rim. Likely best place for Rusty's shore side activities are the adjacent park areas at Corsair Bay and Cass Bay. Both are close to the commercial port and to the road and rail tunnels that provide quick access to the City of Christchurch. 

It is hard to sufficiently emphasise the minuscule size and quaint nature of Lyttleton Township, nestled into the hillside behind the commercial port.  Permanent residents, approx 3,000.  A couple of small hotels, a scattering of guest houses, restaurants and cafes. International visitors will stay in Christchurch and surrounds.  St Tropez it aint!  But a great locale for a TV-focused event.

Lyttelton Port.jpg

5 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

The port, which is the largest in the South Island, is located about half way down the harbour on its northern flank.. The harbour is a drowned volcano with precious little flat land on its rim. Likely best place for Rusty's shore side activities are the adjacent park areas at Corsair Bay and Cass Bay. Both are close to the commercial port and to the road and rail tunnels that provide quick access to the City of Christchurch. 

Actually Naval Point (as indicated) will be the location of the shore facilities, adjacent to the Naval Point Club and Coastguard. Racing will be in the water off the port and shipping movements will cease during the racing.

96F2320A-27D6-4AB3-8A7A-8CC0050D627E.jpeg

On 1/21/2021 at 8:05 AM, TheUltimateSockPuppet said:

It is uncanny. 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:38 AM, Horn Rock said:

^^^^ Quite an ambitious schedule I think, with the plague still hanging around. No Australian event?

Apart from the latest delivery delays, no way vaccines will get to herd immunity in Italy by early June

• Like 1

Wonder what the Christchurch City Council paid to get the Lyttelton event. They should be spending their money on fixing the water pipes as a first priority (still a lot of them leaking and haven't been repaired since the Earthquake).

3 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

Wonder what the Christchurch City Council paid to get the Lyttelton event. They should be spending their money on fixing the water pipes as a first priority (still a lot of them leaking and haven't been repaired since the Earthquake).

Except tight water pipes aren't very entertaining, or generate much additional council revenue. ;-)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Apart from the latest delivery delays, no way vaccines will get to herd immunity in Italy by early June

OT but since I booked a frikkin pricey place for overlooking Piazza Navona for 5 weeks over October, am hoping Italy will be letting ‘health passport’ (vaccinated) people in by then.

Maybe similar accommodations will be granted to healthy sailors by June, which must surely be the agreement with Bermuda. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Mono Rail, should move this steaming pile of Shit thread to the multi hull thread again where it belongs cause the spite club has fo to do with the AC.

• Downvote 1
On 1/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, southseasbill said:

Local papers suggest ChristchurchNZ paid around $600k - the bigger cost is going to be on CCC redeveloping Naval Point itself which is a bit of an eyesore. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, NZK said:

New additions to the USA roster too;

https://www.sail-world.com/news/235086/US-SailGP-Team-unveils-strategic-roster-pickups

Dressler, Campbell and Sinclair joining JS after their AM duties are complete for the time being.... Looks like the original S&S boys have been given the flick.

I guess Jimmy's conditions were that he gets to pick the team, but still interesting that he would kick canfield off - I guess jimmy doesn't have faith in his foiling abilities. Did TC even manage to race once before the musical chairs?

• 2 weeks later...

Serious viewer numbers mentioned here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrakirkman/2021/02/25/the-ultimate-spring-break-2021-escape-an-exclusive-sailing-championship-in-beautiful-bermuda/?sh=33926c4a94d7

"... which attracted a worldwide audience of 1.8 billion during its inaugural 2019 season" 

I know it was talked about here before, but how did they get to this number? 

The most viewed video on their YT channel has 1 million views, and it's a trailer for the NYC round:

17 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Serious viewer numbers mentioned here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandrakirkman/2021/02/25/the-ultimate-spring-break-2021-escape-an-exclusive-sailing-championship-in-beautiful-bermuda/?sh=33926c4a94d7

"... which attracted a worldwide audience of 1.8 billion during its inaugural 2019 season" 

I know it was talked about here before, but how did they get to this number? 

The most viewed video on their YT channel has 1 million views, and it's a trailer for the NYC round:

Absolute nonsense numbers Roller, some knob with an abacus and an eye on a bonus.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Absolute nonsense numbers Roller, some knob with an abacus and an eye on a bonus.

They buy posts on FB, YT, IG and pay to put them in front of people... it doesn't take that much money to generate massive 'vanity' metrics... marketing depts all over do it...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

They buy posts on FB, YT, IG and pay to put them in front of people... it doesn't take that much money to generate massive 'vanity' metrics... marketing depts all over do it...

The only way 1 Billion people will ever watch a yacht is if they manage to put one on Mars.

• Like 1

Total bunk - Sail GP would be lucky at best to have 1 Billion impressions even if they counted it the bogus Facebook way of 3 seconds as an impression.  With just 6 boats and 4 days of sailing at 6 venues good luck. Sure a video had 1 million global views, one video, a view can be 3 seconds if scrolled over on Facebook. Facebook got reamed by advertisers when it was found that as low as 1.5 seconds was seen as an impression. 

Americas Cup 36 video live viewing was as low as 29,000 live daily.

Tour de France is 21 days of racing plus 2 days days lead up, two day lay day with coverage, 17 nations represented. I did a swag for this this for 2020 Tour last year numbers (up 21% from 2019) and  looked at 17 countries and extrapolated from there. This is one of the key data points I found (not mine) -  2.2 billion people had watched at least 20 consecutive minutes of coverage while 3.2 billion had watched at least one minute. These are the key baseline numbers to understand this - 20 and 1 minute. This is just for media on TV, does not include pirated online, or in person viewing. 

Here are the newest numbers for the world Cup:

https://www.statista.com/chart/16875/super-bowl-viewership-vs-world-cup-final/#:~:text=According to FIFA%2C the 2018,in over its 90 minutes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jaysper said:

The only way 1 Billion people will ever watch a yacht is if they manage to put one on Mars.

Agreed. 35% of the world's population has never even seen an ocean, apparently. 

Far fewer of those who have dipped their toes into seawater, have any knowledge whatsoever, of a yacht.

SailGP might as well be held on Mars. No wait... water?

31 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

To SailGP’s credit, in the USA they are on TV channels that are  popular in bars, like what the AC Bermuda and SF broadcasts were. Even a lot of non-sailors got hooked. 

Let’s be honest , what does “got hooked” mean? In business we focus on the next sale, they investigated further, sought out the next race to watch, bought gear, learned how to sail... what you described was captive audience . 

12 minutes ago, .......................... said:

Let’s be honest , what does “got hooked” mean? In business we focus on the next sale, they investigated further, sought out the next race to watch, bought gear, learned how to sail... what you described was captive audience . 

No big deal but pubs in my area tend to have lots of TV’s and channels running. If you want an event turned up a touch for a table nearby that TV they will do that for you and after my expressions of interest with a few friends who joined in, it was typical for others to do the same for on other TV’s. In case it amuses anyone? At least half of the (yes, mostly sailing-and AC ignorant) watchers would root for NZ! 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

To SailGP’s credit, in the USA they are on TV channels that are  popular in bars, like what the AC Bermuda and SF broadcasts were. Even a lot of non-sailors got hooked. 

What are these bars you speak of?

9 minutes ago, accnick said:

Places where people used to go to drink, laugh, and talk loudly.

I remember bars....

Yep! Have not been into my favorite pub, or any of them, since March. Am so looking forward to jabs! 

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Except when people were irate their usual Rodeo or Monster Truck sporting events had been preempted., lol.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Yep! Have not been into my favorite pub, or any of them, since March. Am so looking forward to jabs! 

Mr Clew stopped drinking during the pandemic. Now I am going to be stuck buying wine by the glass unless it's a place with half bottles. Gawd what if I stop too?

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Mr Clew stopped drinking during the pandemic. Now I am going to be stuck buying wine by the glass unless it's a place with half bottles. Gawd what if I stop too?

Since starting to order everything delivered, it’s a close call about if I will frequent my pub ever again. But I will give it a try, it’s been almost like a ‘church’ community for many-many years, there are good people, good memories, and good laughs. 

25 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Since starting to order everything delivered, it’s a close call about if I will frequent my pub ever again. But I will give it a try, it’s been almost like a ‘church’ community for many-many years, there are good people, good memories, and good laughs. 

Unfortunately, bars are probably the last place I will go in the near future.

Getting vaccinated is not an excuse for rash behavior.

45 minutes ago, accnick said:

Unfortunately, bars are probably the last place I will go in the near future.

Getting vaccinated is not an excuse for rash behavior.

So the vacs give you a rash too? ;-)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

?

On 2/26/2021 at 8:09 PM, ExOmo said:

?

Yes, NBCSN is one of the channels that play on bar screens, alongside whoever is broadcasting sporting events. NBCSN was broadcasting the AC in SF and in Bermuda and yes it was cool. 

That channel appears headed towards broadcasting AC36 too but I won’t be in any pubs to gauge interest or drive friends into engagement, this time. They are currently open for 25% capacity but I don’t trust the ventilation, especially in the restrooms! :) Most of us will get our jabs soon enough, yay. 

• Like 2

Even with a jab or two, "toilet plume" is going to make me eye my fellow patrons and venues carefully for a long time. Restroom toilets never have lids. Plane lavs, I put the lid down to flush in case my glasses fall in but mostly it's up when I go in. 

I don't want to breathe anybody's plume. And airlines NEVER mention laws when they go on about their sponsored studies and surface cleaning,

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any. After AC35, I got into a heated set of conversations around the impact to Bermuda, and particularly kids sailing, and particularly lower income kids which in Bermuda are predominantly black kids. There was healthy amount of scepticism about any long term benefit. 

The Coutts sponsored "Endeavour" program has been putting sailing on the curricula of all public and private schools in Bermuda since the heady days of 2017. It's focussed around STEAM, so not strictly just sailing, but has nurtured some talented sailors who have continued sailing/racing at local clubs. Perhaps more important is the Maritime Springboard Program, which guides youngster towards maritime careers. 

From a recent article: The Endeavour Maritime Career Springboard Programme is a seven-week training initiative designed to benefit Bermudian youth ages 16 and older who are interested in the maritime industry by equipping them with the skills and training necessary to jumpstart their career. Forty-one Bermudian youth from across the Island have benefitted since the programme was piloted in 2018.

https://bernews.com/2021/02/fourth-cohort-of-endeavour-maritime-programme/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20Endeavour%20Maritime%20Career%20Springboard,necessary%20to%20jumpstart%20their%20career.

It's not just about learning to become coaches. Sail GP heads to Bermuda in May and is partnering with Endeavour. It's a success story and a real tangible benefit from AC35.

https://bernews.com/2021/03/sailgp-inspire-partner-endeavour-sailing/

[disclaimer: not involved in Endeavour in any way]

• Like 10
  • 1 month later...

With around 20 days to go this Sail GP should be interesting. The Aussie dominance that once was came to an end at the hands of Sir Ben and Team UK. Now we have Jimmy and Pete Burling. Who do we all have to win the Bermuda Event? I have no idea but will go with this:

1. Pistol Pete

2. Sir Ben

3. Slinga

4. Outteridge

5. Jimbo

and then the rest..

17 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

With around 20 days to go this Sail GP should be interesting. The Aussie dominance that once was came to an end at the hands of Sir Ben and Team UK. Now we have Jimmy and Pete Burling. Who do we all have to win the Bermuda Event? I have no idea but will go with this:

1. Pistol Pete

2. Sir Ben

3. Slinga

4. Outteridge

5. Jimbo

and then the rest..

What a line up!

And  its not like Billy Besson is a slouch in foiling multihulls.  But I agree these are the top 5 and the finishing order wil e hard to predict. NO does not have the same caliber of team as the front 3.

12 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

As soon as april 20th !

Looking forward to the coming season, but I'm a bit surprised to see how ungainly these cats look after the simple, elegant but mean look of the monohull AC75's....

• Like 1

I still haven't mustered the change of heart to watch given the owner's unrecanted support for a criminal traitor to my country. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2
27 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

I still haven't mustered the change of heart to watch given the owner's unrecanted support for a criminal traitor to my country. 

Yes but don't let his political donations spoil your enjoyment of some good sailboat racing.  He has donated to both sides of the aisle...I think LE most cares about LE and making sure he has political clout... but he does love sailboat racing so its good to see some of his largesse going to something fun vs politics.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Yes but don't let his political donations spoil your enjoyment of some good sailboat racing.  He has donated to both sides of the aisle...I think LE most cares about LE and making sure he has political clout... but he does love sailboat racing so its good to see some of his largesse going to something fun vs politics.

People differ in their compartmentalization choices. Whatever else LE did, he supported the former guy and given the events of 2020-21 I can't forgive or forget. No Lanai, no Nobu Malibu, no Nobu Palo Alto (all places we'd been reserved for precovid) no SGP. 

34 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Why go back to New York City?

That "racing" was unwatchable! 

True but big market. $ over conditions is the SGP rule

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

I’m comforted by the knowledge that the racing will be highly inaccessible, ensuring that I don’t watch any of it. 

53 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Why go back to New York City?

That "racing" was unwatchable!

Looking at the schedule, it does not look like they are going back to NYC (I agree the racing was awful). The US stop on the tour is San Francisco.

https://sailgp.com/about/2021/

Christchurch is an interesting choice to go to South Island vs Auckland NI.

It is a very spread out schedule.  I dont think they have attracted much sponsorship thus far.  They need to make it a bit more newsworthy which means they need to introduce some controversy.

10 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Looking at the schedule, it does not look like they are going back to NYC (I agree the racing was awful). The US stop on the tour is San Francisco.

They need to make it a bit more newsworthy which means they need to introduce some controversy.

^Not sure where I saw NYC on the schedule, thanks for the correction!

Newsworthy? Don't they have exposure to a billion views....

14 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

Looking forward to the coming season, but I'm a bit surprised to see how ungainly these cats look after the simple, elegant but mean look of the monohull AC75's....

Hmmm. Just thinking the exact opposite, ie how nice it looks to have some thing foil that looks like it should foil.

Gimme wings over twin panel sails and geometry over powered ballast any day

• Like 1
14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

If you take that approach to life, you should sell your car, phone, computer and pretty much everything else you own cos there are total cunts in practically every supply chain.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wandering Geo said:

Hmmm. Just thinking the exact opposite, ie how nice it looks to have some thing foil that looks like it should foil.

Gimme wings over twin panel sails and geometry over powered ballast any day

I agree with you in the sense that logically a cat makes a LOT more sense for a foiling boat and I do love the wings - they give the boat a nice 'technological' character

But you have to admit, the AC75's are a lot sleeker...

16 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Taranto, Italy is an interesting choice given how there is no ITA team yet. Sure would be fun to have Bruni thrown into this mix.

It would be great to have an Italian team but as someone else pointed out, the funding for an Italian team probably is not there due to past history.

It would also be great if either the Danish, French, Spanish  did well enough such that their sponsors contemplated an AC challenge.  Anyone know why the Chinese are not there this year , Phil Robertson previous;ly helmed a Chinese team and now helming a Spanish team.

Good news that they net gained to team bringing up to 8 boats.

+  Spain, Denmark, NZ

-  China

9 hours ago, jaysper said:

If you take that approach to life, you should sell your car, phone, computer and pretty much everything else you own cos there are total cunts in practically every supply chain.

Yeah, but I can pick my dildobrain of the year. It's been Ellison since Google v Oracle started. Hey BTW he just lost bwahahaha!  Support for the former guy just was the last straw.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Yeah, but I can pick my dildobrain of the year. It's been Ellison since Google v Oracle started. Hey BTW he just lost bwahahaha!  Support for the former guy just was the last straw.

Fairynuff.

Is that the Android vs Java thing?

Its the only lawsuit I can think of between them but that started 10 years ago didn't it?

4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Fairynuff.

Is that the Android vs Java thing?

Its the only lawsuit I can think of between them but that started 10 years ago didn't it?

Indeed yes. Ten years of trying to extort a settlement on the order of $10b.  Bawahahaha there is no second and no $10b either. 

Just now, NeedAClew said:

Indeed yes. Ten years of trying to extort a settlement on the order of $10b.  Bawahahaha there is no second and no $10b either. 

Fuck that took a long time.

Oh well, good. As soon as he bought Sun he started trying to fuck  people over with  their IP.

If I remember correctly the basis of the argument was that some methods had the same signature, right?

2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Fuck that took a long time.

Oh well, good. As soon as he bought Sun he started trying to fuck  people over with  their IP.

If I remember correctly the basis of the argument was that some methods had the same signature, right?

Basis was Google copied part of an API, claimed fair use. Back and forth 10 years, SCOTUS said yes, fair use. 

4 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

It would be great to have an Italian team but as someone else pointed out, the funding for an Italian team probably is not there due to past history.

It would also be great if either the Danish, French, Spanish  did well enough such that their sponsors contemplated an AC challenge.  Anyone know why the Chinese are not there this year , Phil Robertson previous;ly helmed a Chinese team and now helming a Spanish team.

Good news that they net gained to team bringing up to 8 boats.

+  Spain, Denmark, NZ

-  China

Honestly, Taranto isn't such a bad idea. Yes, there isn't an Italian Team but Luna Rossa garnered a lot of Italian Media Coverage because of their reasonable good showing in the AC Match so Italians are probably still very much into sailing these Days. The Question is now is Italy going to lift restrictions by June when the Taranto Sail GP Event is being held so people can attend it.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Honestly, Taranto isn't such a bad idea. Yes, there isn't an Italian Team but Luna Rossa garnered a lot of Italian Media Coverage because of their reasonable good showing in the AC Match so Italians are probably still very much into sailing these Days. The Question is now is Italy going to lift restrictions by June when the Taranto Sail GP Event is being held so people can attend it.

Yes. Agreed. Italians will watch it and probably get behind Jimmy in the absence of Cecco.

In my AC news feed link to this. Looks like Bermuda paid $750k to host SGP? Or is that the other way around? SGP is a "contractor" so you figure it out? Screenshot_20210405-150951.thumb.png.f9f44bbbdde46149d2616d50812941d1.png 

• Like 1