• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

By selecting km/hr to "reach a wider audience" they are conceding the US market is weaker than rest of world. Little wonder, given we had to have an "American" with a weird accent as helm to bring excitement.

You didn't really think that the US market was even a contender for strongest market did you? There are probably more people in NZ alone that are interested in sailing than the number of people living in the US who are aware that people race sail boats.

6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

By that metric your team is just as culpable,  no wonder you don’t want to support your team and that was before their abject failure! Haha! 

Wouldn't call winning an Olympic Gold medal and the AC twice a failure.

2 hours ago, atwinda said:

You didn't really think that the US market was even a contender for strongest market did you? There are probably more people in NZ alone that are interested in sailing than the number of people living in the US who are aware that people race sail boats.

OK make that "weakest among the extant teams."  There probably wouldn't even BE a US team, I suspect, if they originally  didn't want a spot for Rome Kirby et al and after all it WAS Oracle Team "USA"   They gave SGP USA the old Oracle Team USA Facebook page (discussed previously) which is how they got their large number of followers. 

Season 1:

The five members of the U.S. SailGP Team are: Rome Kirby, 29, of Newport, Rhode Island (helmsman); Riley Gibbs, 22, of Long Beach, California (wing trimmer); Hans Henken, 26, of Coronado, California (flight controller); Mac Agnese, 24, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida (grinder); and Dan Morris, 30, of Newport, Rhode Island (grinder).  Pressure Drop - Sail GP USA Details Released (pressure-drop.us)

14 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

OK make that "weakest among the extant teams."  There probably wouldn't even BE a US team, I suspect, if they originally  didn't want a spot for Rome Kirby et al and after all it WAS Oracle Team "USA"   They gave SGP USA the old Oracle Team USA Facebook page (discussed previously) which is how they got their large number of followers. 

Season 1:

The five members of the U.S. SailGP Team are: Rome Kirby, 29, of Newport, Rhode Island (helmsman); Riley Gibbs, 22, of Long Beach, California (wing trimmer); Hans Henken, 26, of Coronado, California (flight controller); Mac Agnese, 24, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida (grinder); and Dan Morris, 30, of Newport, Rhode Island (grinder).  Pressure Drop - Sail GP USA Details Released (pressure-drop.us)

That's all good and well, but I don't think the origin of SGP Team USA has much to do with viewership market share, or catering the speed output to the existing sailor base.

I am assuming the decision on what UoM to display the boat speeds in depended solely on one thing- "Fastest Boats, Best Sailors" marketing. Once the AC75's equaled and surpassed the SGP 50s they couldn't claim "fastest" anymore, so what better way to cover that up than to simply change to km/h. "Hey look! that one is going 80! that's so much faster than the 50 in the boring old America's Cup."

The e-mail confirmation above that the sail gp sailors are required to speak and think in terms of km/h now is a pretty good indication that its a marketing thing- obviously the sailors don't want to do it.

• Like 1

Knots are easier to understand sailors and aircraft pilots because a nautical mile for practical purposes, is equivalent to about a minute of latitude.

A meter on the other hand is equal to 1650763.73 wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.

I think that Slingsby would find the former easier to get his head around.

• Like 3

the KM thing is super dumb. makes zero sense. the racing is good, why even care if the speeds are higher or lower anymore, a big mistake if thats why they are doing it? hopefully the next event gets everybody on a more level playing field in terms of practice, it'll just be that much better.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Knots are easier to understand sailors and aircraft pilots because a nautical mile for practical purposes, is equivalent to about a minute of latitude.

A meter on the other hand is equal to 1650763.73 wavelengths of the orange-red emission line in the electromagnetic spectrum of the krypton-86 atom in a vacuum.

I think originally the metre was defined as one 10 millionth part of the distance from the North Pole to the equator on a line passing through Paris.

16 minutes ago, Zennor said:

I think originally the metre was defined as one 10 millionth part of the distance from the North Pole to the equator on a line passing through Paris.

Yes indeed so Team Uk were doing 90/10,000 of the distance from the equator to the North Pole every hour. Bermuda is approximately on the equator so the commentator at sail GP could have put the speed in context something like this;

”My god look at the speed of the kiwis on right hand side of the course.   They can be at the North Pole in 4.6 days at these speeds”. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

The metre was redefined yet again some 40(?) years ago, to the distance light travels in a minuscule fraction of a second... close to 300 millionths.  Commentators could have fun at 50 knots:

"Incredible, all teams are now exceeding 1/582,700,000th of the speed of light."

Personally, I favour Mach 0.075.  Beats kph.

there's a few things they can do on the speed/boat graphics.

a)if it's kph, so be it. just put the number there no kph required. also don't think we need a decimal

b)take away the text, just use flags. NZ gets the black silver fern one to distinguish from the almost identical oz flag.

1 hour ago, Zennor said:

correct.

220px-Kilometre_definition.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_metre

7 hours ago, crashtack said:

Is there someplace that one can view the onboard angles from Bermuda?

Yes.. with the SailGP app.. sadly it's only working on phones and videos cannot be made fullscreen and share screen space with a lot of (very interesting) data... it would be awesome to have a SailGP version of the App for browsers.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, kunos said:

Yes.. with the SailGP app.. sadly it's only working on phones and videos cannot be made fullscreen and share screen space with a lot of (very interesting) data... it would be awesome to have a SailGP version of the App for browsers.

So agree!  I've emailed SailGP asking for this... if enough people do that, who knows? Add it to your email requested they revert to knots. ;)

contact@sailgp.com

2 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

So agree!  I've emailed SailGP asking for this... if enough people do that, who knows? Add it to your email requested they revert to knots. ;)

contact@sailgp.com

They've actually done a questionnaire last week asking people to fill it with feedback and I've repeated multiple times how awesome it'd be to have the SailGP App on the browser :D

Regarding kmh vs kn.. I don't know... it was a surprise to see that in the first race.. actually the first race on saturday was fun because they somehow forgot to convert the graphics on screen.. so it was showing "80kn".. that's a bit too fast even for a foiler :P They fixed it later.

But I understand what they are doing by expressing speeds in an unit that anybody can relate to even without being a sailor.. at the end SailGP needs to make the audience bigger if they want to survive, and if they manage to do that it's going to be a positive thing for the anybody involved in sailing, at any level... IMO they should be supported in this, not attacked.

• Downvote 1

To respond to a couple of the things debated on here of late 

1) The Americas cup is undoubtedly a pinnacle of sailing, but that doesn't mean the best sailors won it because it is a design contest. So in the context of who the best sailors are, Burling et Al certainly didn't do themselves any favours 

2) Did Ainslie win the AC as tactician? Try telling Tuke he hasn't won it because he isn't skipper or helm. Good luck 

3) km/h is shit. I've been on boats that measure wind speed in m/s but never km/h. M/s to knots is simple factor of 2 so is easy

3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

The metre was redefined yet again some 40(?) years ago, to the distance light travels in a minuscule fraction of a second... close to 300 millionths.  Commentators could have fun at 50 knots:

"Incredible, all teams are now exceeding 1/582,700,000th of the speed of light."

Personally, I favour Mach 0.075.  Beats kph.

Not any old light.....its the the distance of the wavelengths of the orange red light in a vaccum. See my post below.

12 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

So they are traveling at 90,000 times the speed of light in a vaccuum......and will be at the North pole in under 5 days......and for those of you who are traditionalists....they are exceeding 50 knots.

34 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

3) km/h is shit. I've been on boats that measure wind speed in m/s but never km/h. M/s to knots is simple factor of 2 so is easy

But knots to km/h is not that far from 2 either tho.

52 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

1) The Americas cup is undoubtedly a pinnacle of sailing, but that doesn't mean the best sailors won it because it is a design contest. So in the context of who the best sailors are, Burling et Al certainly didn't do themselves any favours   I give Fourselves a hard time because he is so biased.  But I think we can all acknowledge  that Burling/Tuke record speaks for itself in many departments.  If he had just won the AC, perhaps we can debate whether TNZ haad a faster boat BUT....when you have a helm who has won a gold medal and multiple world championships in the 49er, has won the International Moth worlds with ease over a very talented field and has won the AC twice in 2 different boats....then you have to believe there is some talent there.   Yes design is very important......but as you can see from SailGP, design is not everything.....Burling/Tuke/Ashby brought the skills that enables their fast boats to close the deal and win. 

2) Did Ainslie win the AC as tactician? Try telling Tuke he hasn't won it because he isn't skipper or helm. Good luck Yes he did. But he also wants to win and bring it back to UK .   Time will tell if the stars align

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

There is no denying that Burling et al are great sailors. But we are talking about being the best in the world. Plenty of people (relatively) have won a gold and a few world championships. Who is best from Ainslie, Slingsby and Burling? This was one of the only times afaik that they have raced together in identical boats.

So far advantage Ainslie even if AC is more prestigious, albeit far from conclusive evidence. We will see how the rest of the season progresses. Will be interesting. 

46 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

There is no denying that Burling et al are great sailors. But we are talking about being the best in the world. Plenty of people (relatively) have won a gold and a few world championships. Who is best from Ainslie, Slingsby and Burling? This was one of the only times afaik that they have raced together in identical boats.

So far advantage Ainslie even if AC is more prestigious, albeit far from conclusive evidence. We will see how the rest of the season progresses. Will be interesting. 

Slingsby won more races, but Ainslie won when it was all on the line. As you say, it is going to be an interesting season.

On their overall SailGP matchups, Ainslie is ahead, but not by a huge amount. And he has won when it really counted. Both times.

I've seen that characteristic in a few great sailors, when they seem to be able to will themselves to victory even when they seem impossibly behind.

Now, if Ben could only get a really good AC boat.....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, shebeen said:

b)take away the text, just use flags. NZ gets the black silver fern one to distinguish from the almost identical oz flag.

Ahh fuck that - we had our flag for almost half a century before the aussies did thankyouverymuch...

1 hour ago, accnick said:

Slingsby won more races, but Ainslie won when it was all on the line. As you say, it is going to be an interesting season.

On their overall SailGP matchups, Ainslie is ahead, but not by a huge amount. And he has won when it really counted. Both times.

I've seen that characteristic in a few great sailors, when they seem to be able to will themselves to victory even when they seem impossibly behind.

Agreed that the advantage Ainslie has over Slingsby is minor in the same boats. Still an advantage, just a slim one. Burling will have very disappointed not only to not make the top 3 but to have been knocked out of that after 4 races.

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

1) The Americas cup is undoubtedly a pinnacle of sailing, but that doesn't mean the best sailors won it because it is a design contest. So in the context of who the best sailors are, Burling et Al certainly didn't do themselves any favours 

2) Did Ainslie win the AC as tactician? Try telling Tuke he hasn't won it because he isn't skipper or helm. Good luck 

Yes, it does. A good sailing team will be content being given a boat by the design team and seeing how they go (The KZ 7 Challenge did this in 1987. Tag Heuer in 95 and Team NZ in 2003. The Kiwis did it again in 92 and were beaten. A great sailing team will give the design team input into what kind of boat they want (Coutts Team NZ in 95, Ashby’s Team NZ in 2017 and Burlings Team NZ in 2021. That’s the difference. Every Cup NZ has won is because the Sailing team have been as instrumental in the design process as the design team themselves. Great sailors will end up with a boat they helped produce. Good sailors will be content relying entirely on the design team.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

You do talk bollocks 4U.

So you think the difference in the designs is solely down to the better sailing input, not the better simulations or greater experience of the designers with foils?

Discovering that 4U talk B is like discovering night follows day. Its blindingly obvious. Sadly it never gets bored so you just have to navigate thru with a sense of humor. I just laugh.  

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Yes, it does. A good sailing team will be content being given a boat by the design team and seeing how they go (The KZ 7 Challenge did this in 1987. Tag Heuer in 95 and Team NZ in 2003. The Kiwis did it again in 92 and were beaten. A great sailing team will give the design team input into what kind of boat they want (Coutts Team NZ in 95, Ashby’s Team NZ in 2017 and Burlings Team NZ in 2021. That’s the difference. Every Cup NZ has won is because the Sailing team have been as instrumental in the design process as the design team themselves. Great sailors will end up with a boat they helped produce. Good sailors will be content relying entirely on the design team.

Thank you 4U.  I continue to be thunderstruck by your remarkable insights.  I hope everyone else recognizes your point that NZ sailors range from good to great.  Also you forgot to mention the 2013 AC  where they had a really great design for the first 18 races and then the silly buggers at the back of the boat stopped giving design input to the design team and the design deteriorated rapidly.  I think this proves your thesis beyond any reasonable doubt. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

A great sailing team will give the design team input into what kind of boat they want Burlings Team NZ in 2021. That’s the difference. Every Cup NZ has won is because the Sailing team have been as instrumental in the design process as the design team themselves.

Ah ah, what crap, Verdier designed the boat, TNZ asked him a wider hull and to replace the 2 rudders by one for safety reason and after the sailing team gave input as in each team. You live like Alice in Kiwiland.

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Enigmatic.......I'm not sure we should make this a litmus test about who is the best.  I think we should enjoy watching 5 of the very best sailors racing against each other. Nathan Outteridge has already beaten Peter Burling on his own turf when he beat PB to win the gold medal in the 49er class.  Peter then came back 4 years later and beat Nathan into silver. Two superb sailors, who can each beat the other when they are on top form, and when one unanticipated wind shift can determine the outcome. Who is the best?  We dont know now and we wont know after this event.  By the end of their careers we might be able to look back.

One of Ainslie, Burling, Outteridge, Slingsby & Spithill will probably win this thing. Only one can win it. Speculating who that might be makes this good fun to watch.

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

Enigmatic.......I'm not sure we should make this a litmus test about who is the best.  I think we should enjoy watching 5 of the very best sailors racing against each other. Nathan Outteridge has already beaten Peter Burling on his own turf when he beat PB to win the gold medal in the 49er class.  Peter then came back 4 years later and beat Nathan into silver. Two superb sailors, who can each beat the other when they are on top form, and when one unanticipated wind shift can determine the outcome. Who is the best?  We dont know now and we wont know after this event.  By the end of their careers we might be able to look back.

One of Ainslie, Burling, Outteridge, Slingsby & Spithill will probably win this thing. Only one can win it. Speculating who that might be makes this good fun to watch.

I do think Ainslie is the better Match Racer or Podium Racer compared to Slingsby. That's my own personal opinion though! I hope Ben & Tommy make it to the Top 3 in Taranto because I want to see a Rematch.

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

You do talk bollocks 4U.

So you think the difference in the designs is solely down to the better sailing input, not the better simulations or greater experience of the designers with foils?

Yes. Simulations are only as good as the experience programmed into them.

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ah ah, what crap, Verdier designed the boat, TNZ asked him a wider hull and to replace the 2 rudders by one for safety reason and after the sailing team gave input as in each team. You live like Alice in Kiwiland.

Crap. Bernasconi led a design team of 30 people who designed that boat. That is the facts. Anything else is fiction.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Thank you 4U.  I continue to be thunderstruck by your remarkable insights.  I hope everyone else recognizes your point that NZ sailors range from good to great.  Also you forgot to mention the 2013 AC  where they had a really great design for the first 18 races and then the silly buggers at the back of the boat stopped giving design input to the design team and the design deteriorated rapidly.  I think this proves your thesis beyond any reasonable doubt. 

That 2013 team did the same thing the 2003 team did. That’s why the development cycle ended early. Barker couldn’t and didn’t have enough reliable input into the design just as they didn’t in the 2003 cup. The design team didn’t have enough trust in the sailing team (for obvious reasons) to take their input into consideration. NZL81 was a shit design and had massive structural failures to the point where it was useless in two boat testing sessions so they’d tow it out with 82 to make it look like business as usual. The Black Magic doco released during the AC on TVNZ on demand states this. NZL82 was also a shit design and also had multiple failures. The 2013 version of Aotearoa was a victim of wholesale rule changes and a design team who only foresaw a development cycle to the end of the LVC Challenger series. A pattern reminiscent of Nick Holroyd and seen again this last Cup. In 2013, the ETNZ boat was “tapped out” as Kevin Shoebridge put it. From that point on, they had to hope Oracle couldn’t learn their boat in time.
In 2017, Glenn Ashby pulled rank as skipper (something Dean either couldn’t do, wouldn’t do or wasn’t trusted enough to do) and he led the design team in the direction he wanted them to go. And they ended up with the fastest boat in Bermuda. In Auckland they designed the boat around the needs of the sailing team and the style of Peter Burling. Max Sirena recognised it and stated it publicly. “The NZ boat is designed around Pete and his sailing style”

The difference between a sailor led design and a design team led direction is evident in TNZ’s history.

25 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

1) In 2017, Glenn Ashby pulled rank as skipper (something Dean either couldn’t do, wouldn’t do or wasn’t trusted enough to do) and he led the design team in the direction he wanted them to go. And they ended up with the fastest boat in Bermuda.

2) In Auckland they designed the boat around the needs of the sailing team and the style of Peter Burling. Max Sirena recognised it and stated it publicly. “The NZ boat is designed around Pete and his sailing style”

The difference between a sailor led design and a design team led direction is evident in TNZ’s history.

1) Glenn, the best sailor, is leaving the team, out.

2) No, the TNZ designer knows better that Max Sirena, Verdier by his own account designed a trimaran hull for B1 with the bulb. The sailors gave their input, that is all. Cut the BS.

4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Whatever to number in the the team, they work on the details. There is NO Kiwi designer that matters.

You clearly haven’t watched any of the AC videos or read any of the Bernasconi interviews or listened to Shirley Robertson’s podcasts. It’s all explained by Dan himself.

2 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

1) Glenn, the best sailor, is leaving the team, out.

2) No, the TNZ designer knows better that Max Sirena, Verdier by his own account designed a trimaran hull for B1 with the bulb. The sailors gave their input, that is all. Cut the BS.

Who cares? If he wants to leave, that’s his decision. Good for him. He’s won the Cup 3 times, and he’s not getting any younger so that’s perfectly understandable.

Listen to Shirley Robertson’s podcast. Bernasconi explains it all.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, EYESAILOR said:

One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

One degree of latitude equals approximately 364,000 feet (69 miles), one minute equals 6,068 feet (1.15 miles), and one-second equals 101 feet.

And Mach 0.2 equals terminal velocity of a person in a moderately streamlined position.  :lol:

10 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

That's fair and I for one really enjoyed the Bermuda event. Great racing albeit with some big mistakes. Had Ben not reacted quickly when Slingsby got it wrong we could have had both of them out.

Nevertheless it is a rare chance to get all of the top sailors (of this sort of racing) together so it is inevitable (and fun) to speculate what it means for who is the best.

44 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

That's fair and I for one really enjoyed the Bermuda event. Great racing albeit with some big mistakes. Had Ben not reacted quickly when Slingsby got it wrong we could have had both of them out.

Nevertheless it is a rare chance to get all of the top sailors (of this sort of racing) together so it is inevitable (and fun) to speculate what it means for who is the best.

Agreed.    Definitely interesting to get so many top sailors into a spectacular boat which none of them have perfected how to sail yet. 

On 5/6/2021 at 12:09 AM, kunos said:

They've actually done a questionnaire last week asking people to fill it with feedback and I've repeated multiple times how awesome it'd be to have the Sa

On the browser ain't gonna happen as they can't definitively geo-lock it. GPS enabled devices only. Now if you want to go thru the trouble of GPS spoofing go right ahead, but there is huge money in those broadcast rights...:blink:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, barfy said:

On the browser ain't gonna happen as they can't definitively geo-lock it. GPS enabled devices only. Now if you want to go thru the trouble of GPS spoofing go right ahead, but there is huge money in those broadcast rights...:blink:

They THINK they will GET the huge money potentially available in desirable broadcast rights. 

As a startup, a fine line to tread between pissing off new viewers and grabbing every buck you can from the get go. How well they do is ultimately an empirical matter.  Will there be a SGP 2025? Will they sell SGP to the now publicly traded Endeavor (early stakeholder in SGP, LE has substantial position in Endeavor) and let the shareholders reap whatever?

22 minutes ago, barfy said:

You can watch it live on the browser via youtube, its just the fancy graphics that are not. I suspect its more "lack of money" to produce the web app, they want you using the app whilst watching on the big screen, not at a computer.

Re watched day 2. The 'cheese-wire' incident made me recall when I first started sailing offshore, I sometimes had to do foredeck work. I was gybing the pole on a fair sized boat in strong winds, one crew was supposed to ease the guy 30cm, but actually eased it 2m and the downhaul/foreguy scraped my cheek and ear as it went past. Would have cut my head in two

I 'retrained' that crew when I got back to the cockpit. With the aid of a winch handle to reinforce the lesson

On 5/5/2021 at 1:09 PM, kunos said:

They've actually done a questionnaire last week asking people to fill it with feedback and I've repeated multiple times how awesome it'd be to have the SailGP App on the browser :D

Regarding kmh vs kn.. I don't know... it was a surprise to see that in the first race.. actually the first race on saturday was fun because they somehow forgot to convert the graphics on screen.. so it was showing "80kn".. that's a bit too fast even for a foiler :P They fixed it later.

But I understand what they are doing by expressing speeds in an unit that anybody can relate to even without being a sailor.. at the end SailGP needs to make the audience bigger if they want to survive, and if they manage to do that it's going to be a positive thing for the anybody involved in sailing, at any level... IMO they should be supported in this, not attacked.

possibly for every 2 sailors they lose in the audience they gain 1 land lubber....

I think KMH is daft and a long term strategic error if it stays. The only audience sailing will ever get if it is outside the Olympics are people who mostly sail yachts and their wives.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:53 PM, enigmatically2 said:

The vendee globe is the pinnacle of sailing. Or to use a better term the Everest of sailing. Going back to a 5 star hotel every night does not qualify as the pinnacle imoho...The rest I agree with. The AC is a famous race but I suspect jo public knows more about the round the world stuff. The AC is the pinnacle of racing in New Zealand though.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, accnick said:

If you include practice races in Sydney gp Ainslie is well ahead.

1 hour ago, dullers said:

The vendee globe is the pinnacle of sailing. Or to use a better term the Everest of sailing. Going back to a 5 star hotel every night does not qualify as the pinnacle imoho...The rest I agree with. The AC is a famous race but I suspect jo public knows more about the round the world stuff. The AC is the pinnacle of racing in New Zealand though.

I agree, i deliberately said that the AC was "a" pinnacle of sailing, not "the". Vendée is undoubtedly another (and has surpassed the fully Crewed round the world imo.

Olympics would a third. 

They are all such different branches of the sport that there is no point debating which is the highest. Again imo. Sailgp isn't up there yet but with so many top skippers doing it could well become so.

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I agree, i deliberately said that the AC was "a" pinnacle of sailing, not "the". Vendée is undoubtedly another (and has surpassed the fully Crewed round the world imo.

Olympics would a third. 

They are all such different branches of the sport that there is no point debating which is the highest. Again imo. Sailgp isn't up there yet but with so many top skippers doing it could well become so.

The "triple crown" is considered to be Olympics, AC and RTW.

I agree there are many pinnacles and over time they shift around.

An Olympic gold medal and winning the AC are certainly 2 pinnacles.

A RTW race (Vendee or formerly known as Volvo) is certainly a pinnacle that commands respect.

SailGP definitely not there yet . Im a huge fan but its not a pinnacle yet.

Some world championships used to be pinnacles in their own right because they attracted so many of the worlds best sailors .  505s, Etchells etc. Less so now. I pay attention to the months.

I consider Ian Walker one of the greats because he won the RTW after several tries and 2 silver medals in 2 different classes. He never had much success in the AC , attaching himself to teams that turned out not to be well funded (GBR CHallenge) or competitive (I forget the name of the Italian challenge he joined)  but he was and probably still is a great sailor and team leader. With the right platform, he would have led a strong AC campaign.

5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Lets agree not to count practice races :)

I have to grab something from somewhere. Funnily enough Ben Ainslie always reminds me of Allen Partridge.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:47 PM, Forourselves said:

Go to the AC thread for Kiwis who dont think too much.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is an AC Forum. Go to the Multihull forum since this has nothing to do with the AC.

good point, come and join me.

21 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

This is an AC Forum. Go to the Multihull forum since this has nothing to do with the AC.

Wrong, there are lot of AC Sailors involved in SailGP incl. the entire TNZ Afterguard from March.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Wrong, there are lot of AC Sailors involved in SailGP incl. the entire TNZ Afterguard from March.

But until recently you hated it here and loved your happy-talk-only thread in MHA!   Why are you not happy talking there? Did crackpappy talk mean to you and leave you out of his "astute analyses"? How sad! I thought you used to be so close. Well, this is a safe place for all. 

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

There are a lot of AC Sailors involved in The Ocean Race too, yet its thread is in Ocean Racing Anarchy, where it should be. The ONLY reason this thread is here, is because they know without the AC, SailGP has no traction. They know SailGP would fade into obscurity without the AC, so they discuss it here. They like to say "its different to the AC" and "it has nothing to do with the AC" but in reality it has literally EVERYTHING to do with the AC. From the tech, to the boats, to the sailing teams, to the TV coverage to the discussion forums here. Without the AC, SailGP is NOTHING. 

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

There are a lot of AC Sailors involved in The Ocean Race too, yet its thread is in Ocean Racing Anarchy, where it should be. The ONLY reason this thread is here, is because they know without the AC, SailGP has no traction. They know SailGP would fade into obscurity without the AC, so they discuss it here. They like to say "its different to the AC" and "it has nothing to do with the AC" but in reality it has literally EVERYTHING to do with the AC. From the tech, to the boats, to the sailing teams, to the TV coverage to the discussion forums here. Without the AC, SailGP is NOTHING. 

That's not true!

I'll give you a little advice: Stop trying exessivly to convince people to dump SailGP! That isn't going to happen and you would save yourself a lot of energy. There is not one person on this board who agrees with your obscure view on SailGP, not one!

14 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That's not true!

I'll give you a little advice: Stop trying exessivly to convince people to dump SailGP! That isn't going to happen and you would save yourself a lot of energy. There is not one person on this board who agrees with your obscure view on SailGP, not one!

It is true, and you know it.

Theres no one in the SailGP thread in MH Anarchy, why? Because the AC forum is where its at.

I don't care if anyone agrees with Me. The Facts remain. 

People can make all the excuses they like but there is a simple truth. In one design foiling boats, Ainslie has a winning record over everybody. He was the man in the foiling AC45's (beating the NZ boys), he has a perfect record in SailGP (competed twice, won twice). In the SailGP it doesn't matter who win the most races, just who won the event. Day 1 of a SailGP event is more like a training day because unless you are well off the pace, your aren't going to lose the event on that day. When it really counted (day 2), Ainslie won 3 out of 4 races, including the big one. Slingers won 1 out of 4 on the final day.

I believe Ainslie had boat issues on day 1, as did Burling for most of the event. However, in Burling's case, he made too many mistakes that were nothing to do with the type of boat and everything to do with him. The biggest was his gybe to screw up Ainslie but there were also times when he got his angles so badly wrong he came into marks off foils and/or down speed, and failed to recognise what was going on until too late to do something about it.. All straight forward high performance/foiling boat stuff that really surprised me. Burling is an exceptional sailor, but having seen him in a number of classes, it is very clear that to reach that high level, he needs to train hard. By way of example, there was a Moth event (I think it was at Wangi) where neither Nathan or Pete had sailed for a Moth for long time. Nathan won, Pete was 6th. Then there was the Sorento worlds. Pete trained hard for the event and won. Nathan turned up 3 days before having not sailed a Moth for 15 months and came second. Different sailors, different approaches

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

It is true, and you know it.

The SailGP thread in the AC forum is where its at.

I don't care if anyone agrees with Me. The Facts remain. 

FIFY.

It is the most active thread on the AC forum because AC fans (with one notable exception) find Sail GP interesting.

As you say, the facts speak for themselves. It is the SailGP thread which so many are interested in.  In fact, even the AC37 thread spends as much time talking about SailGP as they do about AC37.

16 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

FIFY.

It is the most active thread on the AC forum because AC fans (with one notable exception) find Sail GP interesting.

As you say, the facts speak for themselves. It is the SailGP thread which so many are interested in.  In fact, even the AC37 thread spends as much time talking about SailGP as they do about AC37.

AC fans find the Ocean Race interesting too. Same with the Vendee Globe, Myself included.

Some are over in those threads regularly. Still have their own place in its own thread in its own forum.

So does SailGP. Problem is, no one wants to talk about it. FACTS.

Take away the SailGP thread from this forum, and it goes away, it fades into obscurity. FACTS.

Infact, here we go... if SailGP fans take this thread to the thread it belongs in, in MHA, I won't post in it. I said that last time when SD did it, and I don't post there. Never have.

Infact, I respect SD for doing just that.

Its easy. There's a thread over there right now titled "SailGP", its been set up for months now. There's indepth SailGP discussion there, why not join SailGP fans over there? I don't go near it.

The AC forum isn't going anywhere, you can always come back to the AC discussion when ever you like.

I bet they don't though.

9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

AC fans find the Ocean Race interesting too. Same with the Vendee Globe, Myself included.

Some are over in those threads regularly. Still have their own place in its own thread in its own forum.

Take away the SailGP thread from this forum, and it goes away, it fades into obscurity. FACTS.

Infact, here we go... if SailGP fans take this thread to the thread it belongs in, in MHA, I won't post in it. I said that last time when SD did it, and I don't post there. Never have.

Its easy. There's a thread over there right now titled "SailGP", its been set up for months now. There's indepth SailGP discussion there, why not join SailGP fans over there? I don't go near it.

The AC forum isn't going anywhere, you can always come back to the AC discussion when ever you like.

I bet they don't though.

To be fair you and you alone keep this thread at the top of the heap. If you just fucked off it would be gone. I'm actually watching SGP simply because you keep fucking promoting it and this thread is the only thing going here now.

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I bet they don't though.

Wrong on all Accounts!

The reason why people do not like to talk SailGP in the MHA Forum is the User smackdaddy!

He isn't very well liked here (That doesn't include myself of Course because I like him). Most people hate him and that is why @Priscillawas so kind creating this Thread here in the AC Forum.

32 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

To be fair you and you alone keep this thread at the top of the heap. If you just fucked off it would be gone. I'm actually watching SGP simply because you keep fucking promoting it and this thread is the only thing going here now.

Fine. Lets see if you can back your shit talk. Prove it. 

I bet you can't, or won't.