• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

Posted Images

I dont follow Sail GP because it is multihull.

I follow sailGP because 

• It includes some of the best sailors on the planet, including most of the AC helms
  • It allows me to see how those AC helms stack up against each other in one design
  • It is raced in a former AC class which I enjoyed......and I enjoy seeing how they have tweaked and progressed the design. It is fast and leading edge   

I dont deny that it is a spin off from the AC, taking AC technology from AC 34 and turning it into a very fast one design.

This forum is a natural place for at least one thread o the GP50.   The level of interest of AC fans in Sail GP is demonstrated by the activity on this thread vs activity on the multihull thread.    @Editor will leave the thread where it gets the most views/posts because he optimizes the site  for both viewers (anarchists) and advertisers . 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

It is true, and you know it.

Theres no one in the SailGP thread in MH Anarchy, why? Because the AC forum is where its at.

I don't care if anyone agrees with Me. The Facts remain. 

So your argument against SailGP is based on the facts that

1)the more active thread about, on an obscure forum, is in the AC forum rather than the multihull subforum 

2) you don't post in the other thread 

I bet Larry et al lose a lot of sleep about that.

Yes it is an AC spin-off. But frankly who gives a shit. It has exciting boats, the top sailors and good racing. That is what matters.

I enjoyed watching the last AC, but I'm enjoying SailGP more.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That's not true!

I'll give you a little advice: Stop trying exessivly to convince people to dump SailGP! That isn't going to happen and you would save yourself a lot of energy. There is not one person on this board who agrees with your obscure view on SailGP, not one!

Did crackdaddy make you come here on a 2 year mission or something? In dumping on this thread over in his noninfluencer MHA thread, he points out you are #1 in number of posts here. What do you have to do for him to let you go back to MHA?

9 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Wrong on all Accounts!

The reason why people do not like to talk SailGP in the MHA Forum is the User smackdaddy!

He isn't very well liked here (That doesn't include myself of Course because I like him). Most people hate him and that is why @Priscillawas so kind creating this Thread here in the AC Forum.

So you ARE on a mission! 

8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

As I thought. You Can't walk the talk. Pussy.

What was I supposed to prove again? That I'm watching SGP because of you? I am. This thread is going only because of you, so I eventually clicked on some of the videos and thought "This isn't so bad".

4 selves videos illustrate two simple points to me.   The Olympics is the event that the sailors strive for the most and it is the skills that they gain in the Olympic campaigns that they bring back to the Cup and SailGP.    TP52 sailing is very high class but success at the TP 52 does not necessary translate to Sail GP and AC .

1 minute ago, EYESAILOR said:

4 selves videos illustrate two simple points to me.   The Olympics is the event that the sailors strive for the most and it is the skills that they gain in the Olympic campaigns that they bring back to the Cup and SailGP.    TP52 sailing is very high class but success at the TP 52 does not necessary translate to Sail GP and AC .

And success in SailGP doesn't necessarily translate to success in the Cup. Ainslie proved that when he dominated in Sydney then got dominated in Auckland.

Ultimately....I think if you are an aspiring cup sailor then getting a crew role on the Sail GP is probably best way to get noticed other than Olympics.   If you are an established cup sailor and want to keep your skills sharp and hone those skills, then again Sail GP is the place to go. Looking at those old  TP52 videos.....racing TP52s is not going to prep you for foiling in the AC.

Foiling in moths and nacras and A cats is useful at the margin but the team work involved between helm, wing and foil trimmer gets hones at Sail GP.   If I was a billionaire sponsoring a team for the next AC, I would want my afterguard in Sail GP.    

I think the TNZ and Ineos get stronger by participating in Sail GP .  Its great to see the others there but they are not in a team configuration.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

And success in SailGP doesn't necessarily translate to success in the Cup. Ainslie proved that when he dominated in Sydney then got dominated in Auckland.

Of course not....same as success in the Olympics or success in the Volvo does not necessarily translate. In the AC there are so many other variables including design.   But it is all about maximizing every element of your challenge. It s not enough (IMHO) simply to rely on having the better design.....if you want to win, you need to want to have the best of everything....best designers, best logistics, best sailors and best prepared sailors.   I still am in the minority who believes a faster boat can lose the Americas Cup if the sailors are not also at the top of their game.

The greatest illustration of that was the Prada Cup where a slower boat (Ineos) won every single race in the round robin. Better prepared sailors at the absolute top of their game squeezed a little bit more speed out of a slower boat and made slightly better tactical calls to win each and every race.   So in  a way success in Sydney did translate into performance in Auckland.   Did it result in ultimate success? Nope.....because ultimately they didnt win the design race.  The team including Ben is accountable for design as well as sailing...so they didnt make excuses. As Ben said, the team needed to do better in order to win the AC.   I have no idea if Ben will win the AC...but I know it will not be for lack of focus and determination.   I believe that Ben is probably one of the most determined challengers out there and for him Sail GP is partly about that focus and using every opportunity he can to hone himself and his team for the next challenge.

5 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Ultimately....I think if you are an aspiring cup sailor then getting a crew role on the Sail GP is probably best way to get noticed other than Olympics.   If you are an established cup sailor and want to keep your skills sharp and hone those skills, then again Sail GP is the place to go. Looking at those old  TP52 videos.....racing TP52s is not going to prep you for foiling in the AC.

Foiling in moths and nacras and A cats is useful at the margin but the team work involved between helm, wing and foil trimmer gets hones at Sail GP.   If I was a billionaire sponsoring a team for the next AC, I would want my afterguard in Sail GP.    

I think the TNZ and Ineos are shoing the biggest commitment to Sal GP and it will pay off.  Its great to see the others there but they are not in a team configuration.

Didn't help Outteridge or Slingsby.

Look at the established sailors pre last regatta. Burling, Tuke, Ashby, Spithill, Bruni, Sibello, none were involved in SailGP. Yet all were part of the match.

This time Spithill, Bruni and the bulk of the Team NZ team are all part of SailGP. If you watch the last "Racing on the edge" video, Russell Coutts was responsible for team recruitment, not the teams. Ultimately Coutts has the final say on who is on each boat. So it wasn't those guys who went to SailGP and asked to be involved. Coutts head hunted them from the AC to come to SailGP so he could say "there's no denying we have the worlds best sailors now"

16 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Look at the established sailors pre last regatta. Burling, Tuke, Ashby, Spithill, Bruni, Sibello, none were involved in SailGP. Yet all were part of the match.

This time Spithill, Bruni and the bulk of the Team NZ team are all part of SailGP. If you watch the last "Racing on the edge" video, Russell Coutts was responsible for team recruitment, not the teams. Ultimately Coutts has the final say on who is on each boat. So it wasn't those guys who went to SailGP and asked to be involved. Coutts head hunted them from the AC to come to SailGP so he could say "there's no denying we have the worlds best sailors now"

Shit ROI based on Bermuda then. 

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

Well in my humble opinion, American Magic might have  done better with either Outterridge and Slingsby. However at the time that the AC teams were assembling their key personnel, the Sail GP had not happened. 

RC is responsible for recruiting Sail GP skippers/teams where he pays them. The skippers them have a large say in putting the team together  It is clear from Paul Campbell-James interview on Mozzy sails , that Paul was recruited to the China team because they had been threatened by RC with being dropped unless performance improved...so Phil reached out to Paul for help ( and they got two 3rd place finishes in the next two events but still got dropped).  But Paul also explained that Jimmy reached out to him in 2021 to ask him to join Team USA and poached Paul from the Spanish team. Im guessing that Jimmy also reached out to Cecco. So the skippers clearly can have a lot of say in putting together their team.

If a team was to come along and self fund  then RC will take them in a heart beat.   So if Prada said, "We want to pay for a team".....RC will say yes. Sail GP have been clear that is ultimately the route they want to go down where each team is a team owned franchise bringing their own sponsors.  Sail GP also wants to generate revenues for the teams and will share hosting fees and media fees with the self funded teams....but they are a long ways from that. 

The team line up for Sail GP is fairly stupendous. 

5 teams with incredible credential from the AC and elsewhare

3 up and coming teams.

Which nations are missing?   Switzerland (you know who) and Italy. 

I suspect that LE draws the line at funding 8 teams, so if it is going to grow then it will need self funded teams.   Allinghi could clearly afford this  and it would allow them to determine if they think they are competitive for another AC challenge. The only problem is that I think EB has moved on to sailing fast boats himself with wealthy friends and less inclined to give away his money to the long odds of winning the AC.  Prada want to keep going for the AC but its harder for them due to the bad blood with LE to put pride aside and joing the Sail GP.

2 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

The team line up for Sail GP is fairly stupendous. 

5 teams with incredible credential from the AC and elsewhare

3 up and coming teams.

Which nations are missing?   Switzerland (you know who) and Italy. 

I suspect that LE draws the line at funding 8 teams, so if it is going to grow then it will need self funded teams.   Allinghi could clearly afford this  and it would allow them to determine if they think they are competitive for another AC challenge. The only problem is that I think EB has moved on to sailing fast boats himself with wealthy friends and less inclined to give away his money to the long odds of winning the AC.  Prada want to keep going for the AC but its harder for them due to the bad blood with LE to put pride aside and joing the Sail GP.

How many National teams are there? 2?

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

How many National teams are there? 2?

You can get team information here https://sailgp.com/teams/teams-overview/

There are 8 teams.

Australia

Japan

UK

New Zealand

Spain

Denmark

France

USA

6 of the teams have nationals at the helm.

The two teams who have a non-national driving. One is Spain, where all the crew is Spanish but they  do not have an experienced helm so recruited Phil Robertson. Spain certainly meets every definition of a national team

The other is Japan where NO has brought along an imported afterguard but has Japanese grinders and one japanese wing trimmer. I can see why this one would be questioned but , for myself, I want to see NO competitive so I like that he has a strong afterguard.   

I am less hung up on nationality than you are.  As an aside I do not support the UK/NZ proposal for 100% nationality in the AC  either.

But in answer to your question there are 8 teams representing 8 countries.  6 of those teams are driven by a national. One further is 90% national so I would answer seven. Hope that helps but you could take the time to do a little research yourself.

You profess to be disinterested in the SailGP and yet you are always asking questions to learn more about it.

3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So Peter would have won the AC if he had been in the British boat? Answers on a post card please.

19 minutes ago, dullers said:

So Peter would have won the AC if he had been in the British boat? Answers on a post card please.

You think if Pete, Glenn and Blair were on that team, they'd end up with a piece of shit like that? 

18 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

You think if Pete, Glenn and Blair were on that team, they'd end up with a piece of shit like that? 

that is funny.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

How?

It’s almost like you think kiwis, even much lauded great ones never came up with a shit boat...

anyway now Pete, Blair and the Australian are designing your winning boats they can sack off the design team headed by a Brit and save GD a bunch more cash he can lose down the back of the sofa 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

It’s almost like you think kiwis, even much lauded great ones never came up with a shit boat...

anyway now Pete, Blair and the Australian are designing your winning boats they can sack off the design team headed by a Brit and save GD a bunch more cash he can lose down the back of the sofa 

What have I been saying for the last week or so.

NZL81 and 82 were both shit boats designed by a desperate design team thinking that they could compensate for the loss of the bulk of the Team NZ sailing team to Alinghi. Both boats failed spectacularly.

Didn't you know? Dans a Kiwi through and through.

Ironic that Dalts has Russell and Larry paying his bills now lol.

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Interesting development of the foil. I think it's just a matter of time before pressure will be applied to change IMOCA rules and allow foils on the rudder(s).

A keel that could cant even further than 40° (I think that's the max for IMOCA at present) would open the door for a boat that could perform reasonably in displacement mode, then lift the lot out - if they had the rudder foils as well.  Such an extreme keel cant could be practical if they design in a canoe style bustle like Te Rehutai.

Maybe?  B)

"Behind the Scenes" with the French - note, click on "CC" in YT for English translation for Billy's comments.

12 hours ago, Forourselves said:

How?

He was being nice to you so enjoy yourself..

14 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

that is funny.

It is mildly amusing but him saying Dan is a Kiwi is really funny.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

You told us that Guillaume Verdier was a kiwi too. :D

He is on Record that Glen is nothing more that a foreign hand, must have been a frosty debrief when For told him he was surplus to requirements, 

he is part of the team you know? “We”won this “we” won the other :lol:

50 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

He is on Record that Glen is nothing more that a foreign hand, must have been a frosty debrief when For told him he was surplus to requirements, 

he is part of the team you know? “We”won this “we” won the other :lol:

Is he not an Aussie? Yes. Does he identify as one? Yes. That makes him a foreign hand. 

Surplus to requirements? In what way?

Its you that makes all the unfounded statements then when you get called out, you throw insults like a child.

22 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Is he not an Aussie? Yes. Does he identify as one? Yes. That makes him a foreign hand. 

Its you that makes all the unfounded statements then when you get called out, you throw insults like a child.

So Dan the kiwi... want to discuss that? 

‘your’ team don’t even list him as a kiwi! Lol 

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

So Dan the kiwi... want to discuss that? 

‘your’ team don’t even list him as a kiwi! Lol 

Come now JAL, you forget that 4U has his own dictionary. Where the top of "his" team's mast hitting the water is not a capsize; where foreign team's may have foreign hands, but "his"team only have immigrants whose change in nationality has not been recognised (even by the person themselves); and where the definition of best sailor does not include the ability to make the same sailing boat go round a course faster.

And as per the other thread, the title of this dictionary is "Bliss"

Anyway, back to more interesting subjects. Who do people fancy to win the next round? It is hard to look past Slingsby (who is consistently fast) or Ainslie (who may not be as consistent but seems to be able to turn on just that bit more when it matters). 

I was disappointed in Outerridge in Bermuda, I think he has more in him so he would be my outside pick I think

2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Speaking of childlike, your ability to twist reality in your head is quite charming. That is why I like you so much. That childlike enthusiasm for "your" team.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

Anyway, back to more interesting subjects. Who do people fancy to win the next round? It is hard to look past Slingsby (who is consistently fast) or Ainslie (who may not be as consistent but seems to be able to turn on just that bit more when it matters). 

I was disappointed in Outerridge in Bermuda, I think he has more in him so he would be my outside pick I think

I think you can narrow it down to

Team GBR - They have won every Sail GO event they have entered so far. But Bermuda was very close so ...

Australia  - They won 4 out of 6 races in total and finished 2nd in the 2 they didnt win

New Zealand - With 2 back to back ACs, including one on the precursor of the F50 , its impossible to rule out this team

Japan ; Until the collision with Team USA they were in a position to get into the final

USA Until the collision with Japan......

Those would be my 5 top picks closely followed by France and Spain.

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

He is.

So you have to offer a passport to get draw designers in NZ because you have none that counts ? The only one is in UK and we saw the result.

5 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Team GBR - They have won every Sail GO event they have entered so far. But Bermuda was very close so ...

Australia  - They won 4 out of 6 races in total and finished 2nd in the 2 they didnt win

New Zealand - With 2 back to back ACs, including one on the precursor of the F50 , its impossible to rule out this team

Japan ; Until the collision with Team USA they were in a position to get into the final

With Great Britain sitting at 10 Points for the Season Standings followed by Australia at 9 and Japan and USA and 4 and 3 Ainslie and Slingsby have to screw up an Event for Outerridge and Spithill to make up the gap. Ben & Tom do not have to win every Event. They just have to be consistent!

On 5/9/2021 at 7:19 AM, Forourselves said:

Spot on. That's because the AC is a design competition where the best design wins while SailGP is a sailors competition where the best sailors win.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Spot on. That's because the AC is a design competition where the best design wins while SailGP is a sailors competition where the best sailors win.

This is why For will never get it!

9 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Come now JAL, you forget that 4U has his own dictionary. Where the top of "his" team's mast hitting the water is not a capsize; where foreign team's may have foreign hands, but "his"team only have immigrants whose change in nationality has not been recognised (even by the person themselves); and where the definition of best sailor does not include the ability to make the same sailing boat go round a course faster.

And as per the other thread, the title of this dictionary is "Bliss"

I swear you guys are dumb as a plank. 

Where the F**k did i ever say "a mast touching the water is not a capsize?" link please? 

Look I'll admit, Me saying Dan is a Kiwi was a response to the IDIOT @Tornado-Catwho claimed GV designed the AC75, which he did not. It is clear from the teams (even though he doesn't believe anything they say) that the design of the AC75 was a collaborative effort from the LR and ETNZ design teams, that is the fact of the matter. But I guess facts don't always count, so if someone is going to tell one man was responsible for the AC75, and not the ETNZ design team, then I'm going to reply with something equally far fetched.

Both teams and anyone who is anyone has already explained the AC75 design process. I can't help it if he thinks the teams are all lying to him.

The "best sailor" IS NOT, I repeat IS NOT defined by the person who gets the boat around the course the fastest on any given day. 

The best sailor is defined by the one who can get his boat around the course consistently faster than his opponent.

Being the best means being consistent. In SailGP you can be consistent the whole time, lose one race and lose the regatta. Conversely you can lose consistently, then win the last race and suddenly you're the worlds best sailor? No. 

Bens Olympic consistency was the reason he is called the best Olympic sailor of all time.

Team NZ has been consistent. Clearly they are the strongest sailing team in the world right now. Displacement monohulls, foiling Catamarans, foiling monohulls, all dominant. 

SailGP is based on luck. The AC is based on Consistency. You have to win a series. In SailGP you win one race.

One defines the best sailor, the other defines the luckiest.

1 hour ago, SimonN said:

So NZ has a team stacked with multiple World Champions and Olympic medalists. Are you gonna tell Me they had nothing what so ever to do with winning the last TWO AC's?

Thats a big call - and frankly a pretty absurd one.

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

So you have to offer a passport to get draw designers in NZ because you have none that counts ? The only one is in UK and we saw the result.

This doesn't even make sense.

8 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Speaking of childlike, your ability to twist reality in your head is quite charming. That is why I like you so much. That childlike enthusiasm for "your" team.

You talk about "My team" you sit there and talk shit about "My team"

yet you're too scared to pick one of your own lol

drop nuts.

35 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So NZ has a team stacked with multiple World Champions and Olympic medalists. Are you gonna tell Me they had nothing what so ever to do with winning the last TWO AC's?

Thats a big call - and frankly a pretty absurd one.

Using your logic, it is easy to argue that the crew of Ineos have more medals and success than that of NZ so they should have been better. If you think that if Ainslie and his team had sailoed the NZ boat they would not have won, you are stupid. The NZ boat was a better design. That is because the NZ team did a better job of designing the boat. When it came to the racing, the better boat won. It could be argued that for much of the racing, the Italians, in a very inferior boat, sailed a lot better than the NZ boys, but you are too blind to see any of that.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Using your logic, it is easy to argue that the crew of Ineos have more medals and success than that of NZ so they should have been better. If you think that if Ainslie and his team had sailoed the NZ boat they would not have won, you are stupid. The NZ boat was a better design. That is because the NZ team did a better job of designing the boat. When it came to the racing, the better boat won. It could be argued that for much of the racing, the Italians, in a very inferior boat, sailed a lot better than the NZ boys, but you are too blind to see any of that.

Oh FFS, This is one of those "what if" arguments that clearly dismisses or doesn't consider any other aspects except the boats that appeared in Auckland. Its time for you to wake up and see the bigger picture. Lets go back to 2013. The ETNZ team was severely inexperienced in multihull sailing itself, let alone foiling experience. Because of this, the design of the AC72 very much took a very cautious approach. The design was put very much squarely at the feet of the design team. They made the calls, they set the development path and timeframe, which went exactly to plan, which is why the team was caught out and couldn't adapt when they needed to. An inexperienced sailing team combined with a design team that had no previous knowledge of multihulls saw a very cautious approach adopted and a boat that was, by the teams own admissions, "tapped out early"

By 2017, a new competitive, experienced sailing team led by World Champions and Olympic medalists saw a more extreme approach adopted, a direction by Skipper Glenn Ashby who identified specific areas that needed to be capitalised on. Design development based on control systems, simulation and trust in the sailing team to be able to reach the level of the computer tools implemented. By Dan Bernasconi's own statement, they adopted foils that were very difficult to control but fast, and had to trust the sailing team to be able to race the foil set up they chose for the boat.

By 2021, ETNZ had confidence in their sailing team again to be able to use yet another extreme foil set up. As we saw, even during the match itself, the sailing team were still learning how to use the foils in the conditions at that time. Would any lesser sailing team have been able to adapt to the same foil setup? no one knows.

But the moral of the story is, a great sailing team combined with a great design team will produce a boat that capitalises on the strengths of the sailors, as ETNZ have.

The Italians absolutely sailed better than the Kiwi's in the first few races. So did the Kiwi's in San Fran, but as we saw, the design, or rather the limitation of the design was exposed when it mattered.

The same can be said about Team NZ in 95 and 2000. A great sailing team who were in control of the design path at all times, and the results showed that.

• Like 1

4U. I will admit that I might a mistake, it was your fellow delusional Kate who claimed that ETNZ didn't capsize.

But you then went off piste again. Yes being the best sailor is about consistency, but sail go isn't about one race. Firstly you have to be consistently good to get to the medal race (which clearly NZ weren't in the most recent one) and secondly there are several regattas. So overall SailGP requires more consistency and ability across more differing conditions

How is sailgp scored for the season?

I see nothing in the website. There is no published NOR or SIs.

Also it is a shame they don’t keep the individual race results published on line so that we just have to go on memory. 

That is a criticism I level.

38 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

How is sailgp scored for the season?

I see nothing in the website. There is no published NOR or SIs.

Also it is a shame they don’t keep the individual race results published on line so that we just have to go on memory. 

That is a criticism I level.

Is this what you are looking for?

Bermuda Sail Grand Prix | Results | SailGP

Bermuda Sail Grand Prix | SailGP

or in old URLs

https://sailgp.com/news/bermuda-season-2-results/

https://sailgp.com/news/recap-live-coverage-bermuda-sail-grand-prix/

Mariantic

18 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Seems odd to choose Japan and USA because they could have got into final above France who did. Notwithstanding that I picked Japan because I think he is better than that of course. 

Thing is that yes all of those boats could have got into the final. But none of them looked like beating Slingsby to have a chance of winning. Only Ben did and then only when he was on top of his game.

The others have a way to go to be in with a chance of more than 2nd or 3rd I think

4 hours ago, mariantic said:

No...I was looking for how they finished in each race.  I can look that up for an Olympics that happened 20 years ago but not for sail gp which happened last month

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

It's scored as 10 for first in an event; 9 for second etc

I can see that. But no NOR explaining the significance of those scores. Do the three boats with highest score go into the final?   Does tis mean we could know who are the final 3 before the final event?   Or does it all depend on the final event?   No NOR means I cant tell the relevance of the scores.

37 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Seems odd to choose Japan and USA because they could have got into final above France who did. Notwithstanding that I picked Japan because I think he is better than that of course. 

Thing is that yes all of those boats could have got into the final. But none of them looked like beating Slingsby to have a chance of winning. Only Ben did and then only when he was on top of his game.

The others have a way to go to be in with a chance of more than 2nd or 3rd I think

My point really was that they are all very good.

SLING has an edge at the moment but Ben overcame it.

I would not be at all surprised to see NZ have a strong weekend and then 4U will come back and tell us how meaningful the SailGP really is.

42 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

I can see that. But no NOR explaining the significance of those scores. Do the three boats with highest score go into the final?   Does tis mean we could know who are the final 3 before the final event?   Or does it all depend on the final event?   No NOR means I cant tell the relevance of the scores.

Final race is two highest scoring boats in a match race. GB and Aus for me. 

So yes we could know early

48 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

No...I was looking for how they finished in each race.  I can look that up for an Olympics that happened 20 years ago but not for sail gp which happened last month

You can see it on app if you go to the event and select learn more

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

4U. I will admit that I might a mistake, it was your fellow delusional Kate who claimed that ETNZ didn't capsize.

But you then went off piste again. Yes being the best sailor is about consistency, but sail go isn't about one race. Firstly you have to be consistently good to get to the medal race (which clearly NZ weren't in the most recent one) and secondly there are several regattas. So overall SailGP requires more consistency and ability across more differing conditions

SailGP is about one race. You can have a shitty regatta, get lucky in the final fleet race, then win one race and you win the regatta. Thats not consistency.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

SailGP is about one race. You can have a shitty regatta, get lucky in the final fleet race, then win one race and you win the regatta. Thats not consistency.

{sigh}

Are you really that obtuse? 

5 fleet races per regatta. Just doing well in one won't be enough. Ben had 3 good results and only just squeezed in. So you need  good results in 3 fleet races and one medal race to win a regatta. There are  6 regattas plus the final match race. Even assuming you can get there with bad results in 2 regattas you will need at least 17 good race results.  Minimum. Out of 37.  On at least 4 venues. Whereas ETNZ only needed 7 races out of 13. In one venue. Against only one boat

Which shows better consistency, adaptation to different conditions etc?

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So at this level of race they can be lucky to finish in the top 3 and then be lucky to finish 1st ? Ah ah, what a clown.

Final race is two highest scoring boats in a match race. GB and Aus for me. 

So yes we could know early

Precisely what does that mean? .  Do you mean that the scores for each event , 10 thru 1 are added up at the end of the season and the two boats with the highest event score go through into a sudden death single match race?  This would be different from last year.

Last year the final fleet races in Marseilles counted parri passu alongside the accumulated event scores for the season. Winning one race in Marseilles counted the same as winning an entire event .

Thus  10 points available each for 4 events = 40.  Then another 60 (6x 10) points available for a further 6 fleet race , each fleet race worth as much as an entire event earlier in the season.

This year the final fleet race is supposed to be 8 races. Does each fleet race count the same as an event earlier in the year?  

This would be 70 points available from the series and another 80 points available on the final two days of fleet racing.  The final event is March in san Francisco,

{sigh}

Are you really that obtuse? 

5 fleet races per regatta. Just doing well in one won't be enough. Ben had 3 good results and only just squeezed in. So you need  good results in 3 fleet races and one medal race to win a regatta. There are  6 regattas plus the final match race. Even assuming you can get there with bad results in 2 regattas you will need at least 17 good race results.  Minimum. Out of 37.  On at least 4 venues. Whereas ETNZ only needed 7 races out of 13. In one venue. Against only one boat

Excatly,

You have to be consistent to make the the 1M$ Final at the end of the Season.

Also, you do make a very good Point about the different Venues and hence different conditions. The conditons in Taranto could look vastly different from Bermuda.

52 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Excatly,

You have to be consistent to make the the 1M$ Final at the end of the Season.

Also, you do make a very good Point about the different Venues and hence different conditions. The conditons in Taranto could look vastly different from Bermuda.

But most of the points are awarded at San Francisco I think......so getting good consistent scores and avoiding a terrible event is important but the best teams want to peak in San Fran. Does anyone know if there are any throw outs?

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I think, but do not know for certain, that the score to qualify is based on:

7 regattas + an additional 5-8 fleet races hosted in San Francisco. The fleet races are weighted as much as the earlier regattas

It would be helpful if Sail GP published how the scoring is going to work.

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

But most of the points are awarded at San Francisco I think......so getting good consistent scores and avoiding a terrible event is important but the best teams want to peak in San Fran. Does anyone know if there are any throw outs?

Incorrect!

SaiGP Scoring Explained

https://sailgp.com/general/sailgp-scoring-points-leaderboard/

15 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Good find.  It should not be so buried.

1. The scoring is different from last year

2. It does not specify how many boats are in the Grand Final, nor does it describe how the Grand Final is organized. Is the Grand Final one race? or is it a best of three?

3.  This means that as we get closer to the Grand Final there will be opportunities for match racing.   For example if Ben is ahead on points and Sling is 2nd. Ben might want to push Sling back in one event since there does not appear to be a discard.

46 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Good find.  It should not be so buried.

1. The scoring is different from last year

2. It does not specify how many boats are in the Grand Final, nor does it describe how the Grand Final is organized. Is the Grand Final one race? or is it a best of three?

3.  This means that as we get closer to the Grand Final there will be opportunities for match racing.   For example if Ben is ahead on points and Sling is 2nd. Ben might want to push Sling back in one event since there does not appear to be a discard.

While it is not explicit, one would assume that the top three for the season would appear in the Grand Final, as they did in the other finals.

Likewise, for the purpose of drama, it seems likely to be a single Grand Final race for all the marbles.

I like it. A premium is placed on consistency over the season to get into The Big One, but any of those top three could emerge the winner.

It isn't completely clear if there will be both a Final and a Grand Final at the last regatta, but that would seem to make the most sense.