Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SeanPurdy said:

RC also says that with the new big wing the boats are predicted to foil in just 4 knots of wind.

That really is extraordinary.

That is remarkable and almost scary.

Can you imagine being in a lead mine toodling along at a few knots in that much breeze and one of those goes past on the foils?

Presumably it would be doing 15kts+

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

I've never been annoyed this much watching otherwise excellent racing or in fact any sailing ever.  The sailors and sailing are awesome, boats are good for trashing around short courses - how can

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

Since they are a private league they can make rules and change rules as is convenient. No separate owners to vote or get consensus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SeanPurdy said:

RC also says that with the new big wing the boats are predicted to foil in just 4 knots of wind.

That really is extraordinary.

Seeing is believing. I predicted I was going to win the lotto 3 times in my lifetime, but hasn't happened as yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Flippin Out said:

Seeing is believing. I predicted I was going to win the lotto 3 times in my lifetime, but hasn't happened as yet.

yeah but predicting 4 knots isn't like odds of winning the lotto. say it's actually 5... that's pretty close. if it's even close to true it opens up a wide net of possible starts vs. say 7-8 knots. another aspect that's better for everyone if it's even close to true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the aggressively continuing upgrades to the F50's and the growth from 6 to 8 teams this year, projected to be grown to 10 next year, there's a lot to enjoy in SailGP.

Given the number of teams and the short 3 day weekend events I am expecting varying results in different locales but hopefully several teams will get highlights along the way this year.

Bermuda is going to be hard to top but we'll see. All good, and a nice, very-competitive series to get to watch between AC's. I love that we have it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

With the aggressively continuing upgrades to the F50's and the growth from 6 to 8 teams this year, projected to be grown to 10 next year, there's a lot to enjoy in SailGP.

Given the number of teams and the short 3 day weekend events I am expecting varying results in different locales but hopefully several teams will get highlights along the way this year.

Bermuda is going to be hard to top but we'll see. All good, and a nice, very-competitive series to get to watch between AC's. I love that we have it.

Right now we still have 2-Day Events (Sat + Sun) and not 3 Days as you claim!

However if we do get 10 Teams for Season 3 I would like Russell Coutts to expand each Event to 3 Days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Right now we still have 2-Day Events (Sat + Sun) and not 3 Days as you claim!

However if we do get 10 Teams for Season 3 I would like Russell Coutts to expand each Event to 3 Days.

isnt 1 day a practice race day? so 3 to watch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

isnt 1 day a practice race day? so 3 to watch?

You are right! Fridays are Practice Days BUT these Pratice Days will only be shown if we have a light unsailable Winds forecasted for Saturday like we had in Bermuda.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flippin Out said:

Seeing is believing. I predicted I was going to win the lotto 3 times in my lifetime, but hasn't happened as yet.

Making that prediction once was optimistic in the extreme. To keep on doing it? Well ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

The first leg of the 2021 SailGP season was much better racing than the A. Cup.

When is leg 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Right now we still have 2-Day Events (Sat + Sun) and not 3 Days as you claim!

However if we do get 10 Teams for Season 3 I would like Russell Coutts to expand each Event to 3 Days.

We will be sure to let him know your wishes

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 5:06 PM, SeanPurdy said:

Making that prediction once was optimistic in the extreme. To keep on doing it? Well ...

Just drop me a note when they get them foiling in 4knts. I'll be first to congratulate them. Until then I'll just keep watching my lotto numbers as I reckon they'll come up before we see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, bigrpowr said:

yeah but predicting 4 knots isn't like odds of winning the lotto. say it's actually 5... that's pretty close. if it's even close to true it opens up a wide net of possible starts vs. say 7-8 knots. another aspect that's better for everyone if it's even close to true.

Agreed, but just not sure it's going to happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

 

No one absolutely no one cares about that Series which has no TV Coverage and a Tracker out of stone time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The vid of the fastest part of the race.

 

51 knots? Yeah, that's reasonably quick.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

51 knots? Yeah, that's reasonably quick.

Let's wait they break 54 kts, or 100 km in a straight line now, they'll make great headlines in the papers. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Let's wait they break 54 kts, or 100 km in a straight line now, they'll make great headlines in the papers. :)

Agree, "top speed" for 2 secs rounding a mark or whatever doesn't cut the mustard, IMO.

I don't think we've witnessed an AC75 or F50 manage 50+ knots in a race for any sustained time yet.  That alone would be newsworthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

British designers helping the colonies again ;-) 

British designers collaborating with the greatest sailing nation in the world today. Obviously the grass is greener...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

British designers collaborating with the greatest sailing nation in the world today. Obviously the grass is greener...

For once I agree with 4U.

Combination of Dan (British) with NZ sailors (deep talent pool) and GD leadership was very successful. 
 

Danmade a smart career choice.  GD made a good decision to look outside cog NZ to get the best design head. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

British designers collaborating with the greatest sailing nation in the world today. Obviously the grass is greener...

if only the alleged Kiwi designers had done a better job on the F50 it might have helped Pete at Sail GP.

 

or is it another lie that the Kiwis deigned the F50?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

No one absolutely no one cares about that Series which has no TV Coverage and a Tracker out of stone time.

Enough care, the video views are in the few hundred, with one or two in the few thousand. This is perfectly in line with the marketing budget, and I would suggest probably stacks up well against SailGP for ROI.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Potter said:

Enough care, the video views are in the few hundred, with one or two in the few thousand. This is perfectly in line with the marketing budget, and I would suggest probably stacks up well against SailGP for ROI.

Are you joking! That hilarious bad Series has no TV Coverage. All you get is a 30 Minute Highlight show 1 month after the Event.

To compare this Event to SailGP it's not even close!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

if only the alleged Kiwi designers had done a better job on the F50 it might have helped Pete at Sail GP.

 

or is it another lie that the Kiwis deigned the F50?

warped.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Wow things got so bad the teams biggest fan won’t even defend the their sail GP performance 

It doesn't need defending. They had a perfectly fine and acceptable performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

For once I agree with 4U.

Combination of Dan (British) with NZ sailors (deep talent pool) and GD leadership was very successful. 
 

Danmade a smart career choice.  GD made a good decision to look outside cog NZ to get the best design head. 

TC will be along shortly to remind us about, Verdier. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 4:58 AM, Flippin Out said:

Just drop me a note when they get them foiling in 4knts. I'll be first to congratulate them. Until then I'll just keep watching my lotto numbers as I reckon they'll come up before we see it.

4 kts would be bloody impressive, but that is so far from where they currently are ( assuming zero current ).  I would imagine any ability to foil in 4 kts, would remove some of the top end also....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

This article from Verdier describing the AC75 dates of sept 4, 2018, Dan Bernasconi was not even on the map at this time.

https://www.guillaumeverdier.com/coupe-de-lamerica-2021-lac75-un-monocoque-volant/

Facebook live 11 Apr2018

https://www.facebook.com/EmiratesTeamNZ/videos/2174426182582422

Follow up YT 17th April 2018.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Are you joking! That hilarious bad Series has no TV Coverage. All you get is a 30 Minute Highlight show 1 month after the Event.

To compare this Event to SailGP it's not even close!

No, I am not kidding, read what I wrote. The ROI is comparable. If you spend millions on production then you need to get millions back; if you spend thousands, then you get thousands back....

The competitors that take part in that series do not care about the TV numbers, which is why they don't spend money on it. If you are judging the the success of a series based on its TV coverage then you are right, but you are pretty much the only person simply using that metric to measure success.  

It is not a bad series, it is a series based upon the desire of its competitors, rather than on the desire of the marketing company behind it. Stop thinking that the success of a series is based upon its viewership. The GC32 tour is not trying to change the face of sailing, or invent new fans; it is there to serve the teams.

Pretty much every SailGP team has raced in the GC32 Series, and some still do, they just don't do it for the TV coverage.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Potter said:

No, I am not kidding, read what I wrote. The ROI is comparable. If you spend millions on production then you need to get millions back; if you spend thousands, then you get thousands back....

The competitors that take part in that series do not care about the TV numbers, which is why they don't spend money on it. If you are judging the the success of a series based on its TV coverage then you are right, but you are pretty much the only person simply using that metric to measure success.  

It is not a bad series, it is a series based upon the desire of its competitors, rather than on the desire of the marketing company behind it. Stop thinking that the success of a series is based upon its viewership. The GC32 tour is not trying to change the face of sailing, or invent new fans; it is there to serve the teams.

Pretty much every SailGP team has raced in the GC32 Series, and some still do, they just don't do it for the TV coverage.

Every Major Sailing Event whether that's SailGP, America's Cup, the Volvo (now TOR) is judged by the TV Production & it's Viewership. Stop kidding around here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Potter said:

No, I am not kidding, read what I wrote. The ROI is comparable. If you spend millions on production then you need to get millions back; if you spend thousands, then you get thousands back....

The competitors that take part in that series do not care about the TV numbers, which is why they don't spend money on it. If you are judging the the success of a series based on its TV coverage then you are right, but you are pretty much the only person simply using that metric to measure success.  

It is not a bad series, it is a series based upon the desire of its competitors, rather than on the desire of the marketing company behind it. Stop thinking that the success of a series is based upon its viewership. The GC32 tour is not trying to change the face of sailing, or invent new fans; it is there to serve the teams.

Pretty much every SailGP team has raced in the GC32 Series, and some still do, they just don't do it for the TV coverage.

Potter is correct GC32 tour was very much aimed at the participants vs the audience. Ac teams, well certainly Ineos, used it as a way to sharpen team skills in tactics, foiling etc.

I think that most AC team would turn to Sail GP vs GC 32 now because it offers tougher competition and more sophisticated boats ....and it is highly subsidized by LE.

LE/RC vision to provide a sustainable ROI to sponsors means TV coverage.   Its going to be a tough model to make succeed .  Sail GP is more likely to succeed than any other event on the calendar . I give Sail GP a 30% chance of commercial success

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think are the realistic targets for each team, below which they would consider the next event a disappointment.

Slingsby and Ainslie that is clearly 1st. But all the other teams I suspect would be happy with a podium

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

What do you think are the realistic targets for each team, below which they would consider the next event a disappointment.

Slingsby and Ainslie that is clearly 1st. But all the other teams I suspect would be happy with a podium

Paul Campbell James , describes the mindset Spithill had inspired in his team. Prior to collision, they felt they would make the final and then anything can happen.  They will be there to win.

Nathan is there to win.

The kiwis have just come off two successive AC victories, they know that as they get more and more familiar with the boats they are capable of winning.

5 teams will be there determined to win. 3 teams will be there determined for a podium.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps, but after their showing last time out, I think for example  the kiwis might be relieved to get a podium next time. Progress on the right direction. 

Of course they are all going for the win, but I'm not sure many would be disappointed with 2nd next time out

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Perhaps, but after their showing last time out, I think for example  the kiwis might be relieved to get a podium next time. Progress on the right direction. 

Of course they are all going for the win, but I'm not sure many would be disappointed with 2nd next time out

5 teams will not finish on the podium.   All of them believe they are capable of getting there with possible exception of the Danes.

On the numbers the teams with the best record on the water thus far are :

1. Sling : Average finish in Bermuda in round robin 1.4

2. Outteridge : Average Finish 3.33

3. Ainslie : Average finish in round robin 3.8 (but 1.5 in last 4 races)

So they will be favorites but there will be one in the podium that we dont expect.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

other teams I suspect would be happy with a podium

 

With SailGP, there is no 4th place...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Liquid said:

 

With SailGP, there is no 4th place...

There is no 2nd place either, there is only the 1st loser.

I really like the Foiling boats, they are cool. But, until the bring a stable foiler, that 50% of the sailing public can sail, it is just a show.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

There is no 2nd place either, there is only the 1st loser.

I really like the Foiling boats, they are cool. But, until the bring a stable foiler, that 50% of the sailing public can sail, it is just a show.

They will never design a Formula One car that 50% of the driving public can drive , because F1 is just that...a show!

Sail GP is not trying to bring foiling to the people, it is a show.

The wing foils and negative twist camber are tools that we will never be able to use.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I'd like to visit Tarento. looks really nice. I don't know local conditions but I guess they will use the new big wing.TELEMMGLPICT000222802488_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqyuLFFzXshuGqnr8zPdDWXiTUh73-1IAIBaONvUINpkg.thumb.jpeg.7b7b0774f2f61113436fec0f3280c479.jpeg

Has there been any actual news that they have created the extra wing section, to take it to ~29m tall?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

There is no 2nd place either, there is only the 1st loser.

I really like the Foiling boats, they are cool. But, until the bring a stable foiler, that 50% of the sailing public can sail, it is just a show.

Maybe not 50%.  But AC75 style foils are now being used in a smaller class, and someone has commissioned a private yacht even larger, that will use a similar canting foil system.

Like F1, many developments have a habit of slowly filtering down, although mostly for high performance craft. Plus for those with very deep pockets:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 2:51 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Every Major Sailing Event whether that's SailGP, America's Cup, the Volvo (now TOR) is judged by the TV Production & it's Viewership. Stop kidding around here!

So by that metric they are all abject failures, stop trolling, you are not very good at it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe not 50%.  But AC75 style foils are now being used in a smaller class, and someone has commissioned a private yacht even larger, that will use a similar canting foil system.

Like F1, many developments have a habit of slowly filtering down, although mostly for high performance craft. Plus for those with very deep pockets:

 

:lol::lol::lol: While I'd love to see it, it's never gunna happen!

People who have those sort of supermaxi cruising boats will never stop putting toys on them and making it more comfortable. They will never be weight conscious enough for it to work and what's the point? Can't sail against your other $B friends so no showing off your project.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe not 50%.  But AC75 style foils are now being used in a smaller class, and someone has commissioned a private yacht even larger, that will use a similar canting foil system.

Like F1, many developments have a habit of slowly filtering down, although mostly for high performance craft. Plus for those with very deep pockets:

 

That can fuck off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, crashtack said:

Why "Italy sail grand prix" instead of "Italian sail grand prix"? Did f1 trademark adjectives?

That is the naming protocol SailGP uses: Denmark SailGP team, Great Britain SailGP team, France SailGP team, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IPLore said:

They will never design a Formula One car that 50% of the driving public can drive , because F1 is just that...a show!

Sail GP is not trying to bring foiling to the people, it is a show.

The wing foils and negative twist camber are tools that we will never be able to use.

OK, I do not care about SAILGP. it is a FOILING issue.

Everyone can take their car down a canyon road and feel like they are racing....THAT IS THE POINT that you do no get.

9 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe not 50%.  But AC75 style foils are now being used in a smaller class, and someone has commissioned a private yacht even larger, that will use a similar canting foil system.

Like F1, many developments have a habit of slowly filtering down, although mostly for high performance craft. Plus for those with very deep pockets:

 

Deep pockets can only last so long. People need to feel the passion. Right Now only Ice and Land Sailing can give you that passion (AKA SPEED), Unfortunately the traditional water side of the sport of sailing ignores their cousins. mostly to the determent of the sport.

Unfortunately most of you will never hit the 50Knt mark sailing while I and many others have. The traditionalist will kill everything. It is written in history and it is the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

OK, I do not care about SAILGP. it is a FOILING issue.

Everyone can take their car down a canyon road and feel like they are racing....THAT IS THE POINT that you do no get.

Deep pockets can only last so long. People need to feel the passion. Right Now only Ice and Land Sailing can give you that passion (AKA SPEED), Unfortunately the traditional water side of the sport of sailing ignores their cousins. mostly to the determent of the sport.

Unfortunately most of you will never hit the 50Knt mark sailing while I and many others have. The traditionalist will kill everything. It is written in history and it is the future.

"Speed" is relative to individuals.  Decades ago, surfing a 48' heavily built cruising yacht at 15-20kn in heavy seas was heart-stopping.  So was ~180mph skydiving, ~150mph car racing, ~500kn in a MiG 15.  From 15-500kn, each felt darn "fast" in the circumstances.

What's "traditional"?  The Moth? Catamarans, trimarans, ocean racers, sailboards, even cruising yachts?  From rich to "thrifty", heaps of people are heading towards foils, and having a blast. I'd say they are all feeling the passion.

IMO.  :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

OK, I do not care about SAILGP. it is a FOILING issue.

Everyone can take their car down a canyon road and feel like they are racing....THAT IS THE POINT that you do no get.

Deep pockets can only last so long. People need to feel the passion. Right Now only Ice and Land Sailing can give you that passion (AKA SPEED), Unfortunately the traditional water side of the sport of sailing ignores their cousins. mostly to the determent of the sport.

Unfortunately most of you will never hit the 50Knt mark sailing while I and many others have. The traditionalist will kill everything. It is written in history and it is the future.

Excitement, passion etc come in many forms. I have been Mach 2 in an aircraft, raced cars at 160mph. But neither could match the excitement of a 30 footer offshore in a storm going a fraction of the speed

Water sailing gives a bigger variety of conditions, a bigger variety of challenges, a bigger variety of options.

More people have access to the water. The sport has always had a range from opposes to trapeze dinghies to offshore boats etc. Just because your focus is purely speed, doesn't mean it is the only focus, or the right focus

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, dachopper said:

4 kts would be bloody impressive, but that is so far from where they currently are ( assuming zero current ).  I would imagine any ability to foil in 4 kts, would remove some of the top end also....

And the ability to make way towards a mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 7:55 AM, IPLore said:

Paul Campbell James , describes the mindset Spithill had inspired in his team. Prior to collision, they felt they would make the final and then anything can happen.  They will be there to win.

Nathan is there to win.

The kiwis have just come off two successive AC victories, they know that as they get more and more familiar with the boats they are capable of winning.

5 teams will be there determined to win. 3 teams will be there determined for a podium.

 

Taking this shit seriously is like thinking reality TV is real.

How many fucking socks can possibly be in one thread?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Randorm said:

Taking this shit seriously is like thinking reality TV is real.

How many fucking socks can possibly be in one thread?

 

I am not a sock...but I do concede we are probably taking it too seriously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he meant sook? :P Not you though IP

1 hour ago, Randorm said:

Taking this shit seriously is like thinking reality TV is real.

How many fucking socks can possibly be in one thread?

 

Noun. sook (plural sooks) (Australia, Atlantic Canada, New Zealand, slang, derogatory) A crybaby, a complainer, a whinger; a shy or timid person, a wimp; a coward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Maybe he meant sook? :P Not you though IP

Well picked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barfy said:

And the ability to make way towards a mark.

Yep.........     I think 4 kts is about the limit , maybe 5 for kitesurfers hydrofoiling. Getting up is going to be the biggest problem for a big heavy boat without a massive rig. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Randorm said:

Taking this shit seriously is like thinking reality TV is real.

How many fucking socks can possibly be in one thread?

 

speaking of socks, what's the island slang for "someone making bait comments for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that they feel superior to those trying to hold a normal discussion"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crashtack said:

speaking of socks, what's the island slang for "someone making bait comments for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that they feel superior to those trying to hold a normal discussion"?

'Cunt'.  That's the word we would use ...

Why?  Have you seen one around here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, Tornado-Cat said:

In only 21 days, Italy, Taranto, YESSSSSS !!!!!

https://sailgp.com/races/italy-sail-grand-prix-event-page/

 

serious question here. how does this circus move?

looking at the calendar, there's normally 5/6 weeks between events. 

I guess there's a lot of containers involved. but do the big parts like the hulls and wings come apart and get packed or just lashed onto a large ship? I'm guessing the organisation does all of these logistics, the teams just move some of their own kit into one of the containers and see it at the other side

denmark 21 aug => (south of) france 11 sep is just 19 days between racing. That seems tight, but the european leg is a bit of a zig zag actually, but i guess they wanted GB and DEN in the height of summer.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shebeen said:

serious question here. how does this circus move?

looking at the calendar, there's normally 5/6 weeks between events. 

I guess there's a lot of containers involved. but do the big parts like the hulls and wings come apart and get packed or just lashed onto a large ship? I'm guessing the organisation does all of these logistics, the teams just move some of their own kit into one of the containers and see it at the other side

denmark 21 aug => (south of) france 11 sep is just 19 days between racing. That seems tight, but the european leg is a bit of a zig zag actually, but i guess they wanted GB and DEN in the height of summer.

Yes the entire boat gets disassembled and packed into 40' containers.

image.thumb.png.d6eb707e603018da9dca5de0255ee6ce.png

image.thumb.png.ab23364a8a9887fd5ea5bef4034d21d5.png

image.thumb.png.b6d681274bb1b124028ba98fc05e3198.png

And how do you fit a 50' hull into a 40' container?   Chop off the bow...

image.thumb.png.f7e9647deb6a00f9d18d4d0cd6aca07e.png

With thanks to a quiet forum browser for the container pics.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

Yes the entire boat gets disassembled and packed into 40' containers.

And how do you fit a 50' hull into a 40' container?   Chop off the bow...

image.thumb.png.f7e9647deb6a00f9d18d4d0cd6aca07e.png

With thanks to a quiet forum browser for the container pics.  :)

THANKS. i guess that was my main stumbling block. obviously containers made the most sense - i did find 60ft containers but i think they are rare and come with other issues.

still the question remains, 19 days seems a quick turnaround to put this lego in a box in denmark and open it up in the med, all very rock concert!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, shebeen said:

THANKS. i guess that was my main stumbling block. obviously containers made the most sense - i did find 60ft containers but i think they are rare and come with other issues.

still the question remains, 19 days seems a quick turnaround to put this lego in a box in denmark and open it up in the med, all very rock concert!

It sure is a bit frantic.  These boats would have to take a couple of days to dissemble, and the same or more to assemble and test everything is working, esp hydraulics.  All that sounds like quite a solid week. At least road transport across EU will be faster than sea transport from Bermuda to Italy.

I guess the shore team is indeed "very rock concert".  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Yes the entire boat gets disassembled and packed into 40' containers.

image.thumb.png.d6eb707e603018da9dca5de0255ee6ce.png

And how do you fit a 50' hull into a 40' container?   Chop off the bow...

image.thumb.png.f7e9647deb6a00f9d18d4d0cd6aca07e.png

With thanks to a quiet forum browser for the container pics.  :)

 

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

There are not 50’ containers 

 

The front fell off (deliberately).
BTW, the RC44 works in a similar way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's about 2 days per boat to assemble. Each team used to have a full shore team but as cost cutting I think they consolidated them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 12:47 AM, Forourselves said:

It doesn't need defending. They had a perfectly fine and acceptable performance. 

Us coming third (UK) must be a perfectly acceptable in the AC if coming 5th is ok in Bermuda. I am enjoying Bronze.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Conveniently follows on from the AC50 there "container-able" hulls and the "construct in country" bow :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2021 at 12:47 AM, Forourselves said:

It doesn't need defending. They had a perfectly fine and acceptable performance. 

That’s disappointing, we expected more from you. DFL as an acceptable performance.? . how far have they fallen since the AC. So sad their fans have given up and except and accept such terrible performance levels 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dullers said:

Us coming third (UK) must be a perfectly acceptable in the AC if coming 5th is ok in Bermuda. I am enjoying Bronze.

There Americas Cup, where there is no second.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

That’s disappointing, we expected more from you. DFL as an acceptable performance.? . how far have they fallen since the AC. So sad their fans have given up and except and accept such terrible performance levels 

Blah blah blah.

I bet you thought they lost the AC after they lost the second race too?

Look what happened.

Need I remind you...

AC1.jpg

?m=02&d=20170630&t=2&i=1191099599&r=LYNX

1080406.JPG

Kiwi dominance!

The AC is where it matters. SailGP is a bit of fun and a paycheck in between.

You win the Americas Cup, you're at the top of the mountain

You win SailGP, no one cares.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Your win the AC then flop badly in Sail GP.. 

everyone laughs (at You) 

We win the AC, and we laugh at the fools who think SailGP is of any significance lol

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

We win the AC, and we laugh at the fools who think SailGP is of any significance lol

 

I suspect the significance of SailGP wlll correlate to the results of the NZ team.   If they start winning, the event will seem significant to you.  If they finish towards the back , it will appear insignificant.

 

I expect NZ to win or podium in one or more of the events. So it will eventually seem significant to you

Link to post
Share on other sites