Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any. After AC35, I got into a heated set of conversations around the impact to Bermuda, and particularly kids sailing, and particularly lo

I'll take "things that never happened" for $100

They buy posts on FB, YT, IG and pay to put them in front of people... it doesn't take that much money to generate massive 'vanity' metrics... marketing depts all over do it...

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Billy Besson: "The level on SailGp is higher than the Cup"

I like SailGP too, but, no, I disagree. Just think of the level of preparation, innovation and adaptation in sailing techniques and tactics required by the most advanced sailing vessel ever, the AC75. Three years of work by some of the best sailors and designers in the world.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Billy Besson: "The level on SailGp is higher than the Cup"

Some context for your quote, would lend you, and the quote more credibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Some context for your quote, would lend you, and the quote more credibility.

It's a post from TC - we have all the context we need to determine it's credibility ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strider470 said:

I like SailGP too, but, no, I disagree. Just think of the level of preparation, innovation and adaptation in sailing techniques and tactics required by the most advanced sailing vessel ever, the AC75. Three years of work by some of the best sailors and designers in the world.

On the flip side SailGP will have more "Close Quarter Racing" methinks this Season with the likes of Pete, Jimmy, Ben, Slingers and Nathan.

Aside from a handful of Races AC36 did not produce the exciting, close Racing we had during the IACC Aera. That being said it's probably the nature that the AC75 Class was a new Class and things will get tighter for the next Cycle.

I do predict though that SailGP Season 2 will have more passes than AC36!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, strider470 said:

I like SailGP too, but, no, I disagree. Just think of the level of preparation, innovation and adaptation in sailing techniques and tactics required by the most advanced sailing vessel ever, the AC75. Three years of work by some of the best sailors and designers in the world.

I've been re-watching the 2019 races, and there were many that were more exciting than the AC36 races - frequent lead changes, 6 boats trying to get around a mark at the same time, tactics etc.

These are boats that evolved from the AC35 cycle, and despite being a one design class now, they continue to develop. I'm looking forward to some races in strong wind, as they will be using the new wingsail - one section can be removed to reduce the 24m high rig to 18m. 

In these circumstances we should see how the F50 handles foil cavitation at 50+ knots.  I can see why they call the foil a "dagger" board!
image.png.f4641cbce96d72e8aace54af1f94ae98.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I've been re-watching the 2019 races, and there were many that were more exciting than the AC36 races - frequent lead changes, 6 boats trying to get around a mark at the same time, tactics etc.

These are boats that evolved from the AC35 cycle, and despite being a one design class now, they continue to develop. I'm looking forward to some races in strong wind, as they will be using the new wingsail - one section can be removed to reduce the 24m high rig to 18m. 

In these circumstances we should see how the F50 handles foil cavitation at 50+ knots.  I can see why they call the foil a "dagger" board!
image.png.f4641cbce96d72e8aace54af1f94ae98.png

What I really would like to see is a SailGP with one design AC75s. But probably this is because I'm not a great fan of catamarans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, strider470 said:

What I really would like to see is a SailGP with one design AC75s. But probably this is because I'm not a great fan of catamarans.

The AC75 (would probably have to be the F75 or the GP75 mind ;)) is too big, it needs to be containerable for the travelling circus, thats the advantage the cats have, they come apart

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, strider470 said:

I like SailGP too, but, no, I disagree. Just think of the level of preparation, innovation and adaptation in sailing techniques and tactics required by the most advanced sailing vessel ever, the AC75. Three years of work by some of the best sailors and designers in the world.

That was my first reaction too but he is speaking of the sailors level. The AC is a design competition, Sailgp is a sailors contest.

The best proof is that best AC sailors will compete but other world's best too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

That was my first reaction too but he is speaking of the sailors level. The AC is a design competition, Sailgp is a sailors contest.

The best proof is that best AC sailors will compete but other world's best too.

I agree on that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

The AC75 (would probably have to be the F75 or the GP75 mind ;)) is too big, it needs to be containerable for the travelling circus, thats the advantage the cats have, they come apart

Yes, they are designed to disassemble and fit into standard 40' containers. Even the hulls have a removable bow section so they'll fit.

image.png.e036bc72d4192f8ec9bac8c3d6210617.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, strider470 said:

I like SailGP too, but, no, I disagree. Just think of the level of preparation, innovation and adaptation in sailing techniques and tactics required by the most advanced sailing vessel ever, the AC75. Three years of work by some of the best sailors and designers in the world.

I think Billy meant the level of competition and level of sailing.   In that respect Billy is right because:

(i) It is one design.......so the sailing and tactics is everything.

(ii)  The number of competitors is higher. It includes  at least one helm from the AC teams except AM  and it includes some important helms that were not at the AC.  The match up of Burling, Ainslie, Spitbull, Nathan O, Tom Slingsby in a one design foiling class has never happened before .  Who wins is interesting but who loses is a tough call because they are all brilliant. Nathn probably has the toughest crew assignment but my god it will be amazing.

You are right that the AC75 is a more advanced boat now requiring incredible preparation....but I doubt we get those 5 skippers lined up in AC75s ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Yes, they are designed to disassemble and fit into standard 40' containers. Even the hulls have a removable bow section so they'll fit.

image.png.e036bc72d4192f8ec9bac8c3d6210617.png

IIRC the bows were also the bit manufactured in country for the AC 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 8:12 AM, rh3000 said:

They buy posts on FB, YT, IG and pay to put them in front of people... it doesn't take that much money to generate massive 'vanity' metrics... marketing depts all over do it...

3sec = a view.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I've been re-watching the 2019 races, and there were many that were more exciting than the AC36 races - frequent lead changes, 6 boats trying to get around a mark at the same time, tactics etc.

These are boats that evolved from the AC35 cycle, and despite being a one design class now, they continue to develop. I'm looking forward to some races in strong wind, as they will be using the new wingsail - one section can be removed to reduce the 24m high rig to 18m. 

In these circumstances we should see how the F50 handles foil cavitation at 50+ knots.  I can see why they call the foil a "dagger" board!
image.png.f4641cbce96d72e8aace54af1f94ae98.png

This is going to be a fantastic Season I feel with the likes of Burling, Spithill, Ainslie, Outerridge and Slingsby. I view SailGP as a Replacement for the incredibly boring Extreme Sailing Series which was run until 2018. ESS had shitty Coverage.

Imagine how crowded the Start Line will be with 8 Boats! That Line will look pretty small.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia, France & United States announce their SailGP Line Ups for Season 2

0053_20210407_SAILGP.jpg?fm=webp&w=1920

https://sailgp.com/news/slingsby-reveals-australian-line-up/

SAILGP2104_CP_Team_France_v1.jpg?fm=webp

Is Amelie Riou the sister of Marie? Would make sense!

https://sailgp.com/news/france-announces-line-up-for-season-two/

Moroz-Perez-PCJ-Presti.jpg?fm=webp&w=164

The two Women look quite young to me! Are they kids?

https://sailgp.com/news/us-sailgp-team-lineup-complete/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sail GP Season 2 Line Ups:

Australia

CEO & Helmsman: Tom Slingsby / Wing Trimmer: Kyle Langford / Flight Controllers: Jason Waterhouse/Kinley Fowler / Grinders: Nick Hutton/Sam Newton / Female Sailors: Nina Curtis/Lisa Darmanin

Denmark

CEO: Jonas-Hogh Christensen / Helmsman: Nicolai Sehested / Wing Trimmer Tom Johnson / Flight Controller: Rasmus Kostner / Grinders: Martin Kirketerp/Hans-Christian Rosendahl/Lars Peter Rosendahl / Female Sailors: Anne-Marie Rindom/Katja Salskov-Iversen

France

CEO: Bruno Dubois / Helmsman: Billy Besson / Wing Trimmer: Leigh McMillan / Flight Controller: Francois Morvan / Grinders: Matthieu Vandame/Olivier Herledant/Timothe Lapauw / Female Sailors: Amelie Riou/Helene Noesmoen

Great Britain

CEO: Chris Draper / Helmsman: Sir Ben Ainslie

Japan

CEO & Helmsman: Nathan Outerridge / Flight Controller: Leo Takahashi

New Zealand

General Manager: Karl Budge / Helmsman: Peter Burling / Wing Trimmer: Josh Junior/Andy Maloney / Flight Controller: Blair Tuke / Grinders: Marcus Hansen/Louis Sinclair / Female Sailors: Erica Dawson/Liv Mackey

Spain

Helmsman: Phil Robertson (Interim) & Jordi Xammar / Wing Trimmer: Florian Trittel

United States of America

CEO & Helmsman: Jimmy Spithill / Wing Trimmer: Paul Campbell-James / Flight Controller: Rome Kirby / Grinders: Andrew Campbell/Cooper Dressler/Alex Sinclair / Female Sailors: Daniela Moroz/CJ Perez

 

Some Female Spots are open on the Spanish/British/Japanese Teams as all 3 haven't announced their Season 2 Line Ups. I wonder if Tamara Echegoyen who sailed on Mapfre in the 2017/18 VOR will join the Spanish Team.

 

Assuming the Brits can sail with Iain Jensen (Goobs) & Luke Parkinson (Parko) I'd put them as Favourites together with the Kiwis. Sure, Paul Campbell-James as Wing Trimmer for Jimmy and the US Team is good but he hasn't sailed in over a year. Likewise Rome Kirby isn't used to be a Flight Controller.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sail GP Season 2 Line Ups:

Australia

CEO & Helmsman: Tom Slingsby / Wing Trimmer: Kyle Langford / Flight Controllers: Jason Waterhouse/Kinley Fowler / Grinders: Nick Hutton/Sam Newton / Female Sailors: Nina Curtis/Lisa Darmanin

Denmark

CEO: Jonas-Hogh Christensen / Helmsman: Nicolai Sehested / Wing Trimmer Tom Johnson / Flight Controller: Rasmus Kostner / Grinders: Martin Kirketerp/Hans-Christian Rosendahl/Lars Peter Rosendahl / Female Sailors: Anne-Marie Rindom/Katja Salskov-Iversen

France

CEO: Bruno Dubois / Helmsman: Billy Besson / Wing Trimmer: Leigh McMillan / Flight Controller: Francois Morvan / Grinders: Matthieu Vandame/Olivier Herledant/Timothe Lapauw / Female Sailors: Amelie Riou/Helene Noesmoen

Great Britain

CEO: Chris Draper / Helmsman: Sir Ben Ainslie

Japan

CEO & Helmsman: Nathan Outerridge / Flight Controller: Leo Takahashi

New Zealand

General Manager: Karl Budge / Helmsman: Peter Burling / Wing Trimmer: Josh Junior/Andy Maloney / Flight Controller: Blair Tuke / Grinders: Marcus Hansen/Louis Sinclair / Female Sailors: Erica Dawson/Liv Mackey

Spain

Helmsman: Phil Robertson (Interim) & Jordi Xammar / Wing Trimmer: Florian Trittel

United States of America

CEO & Helmsman: Jimmy Spithill / Wing Trimmer: Paul Campbell-James / Flight Controller: Rome Kirby / Grinders: Andrew Campbell/Cooper Dressler/Alex Sinclair / Female Sailors: Daniela Moroz/CJ Perez

 

Some Female Spots are open on the Spanish/British/Japanese Teams as all 3 haven't announced their Season 2 Line Ups. I wonder if Tamara Echegoyen who sailed on Mapfre in the 2017/18 VOR will join the Spanish Team.

 

Assuming the Brits can sail with Iain Jensen (Goobs) & Luke Parkinson (Parko) I'd put them as Favourites together with the Kiwis. Sure, Paul Campbell-James as Wing Trimmer for Jimmy and the US Team is good but he hasn't sailed in over a year. Likewise Rome Kirby isn't used to be a Flight Controller.

Too bad they had to keep Rome doing something relevant on the team, I can’t imagine Andrew Campbell wouldn’t be the best for the flight controller. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Which teams have sailors with the most SailGP F50 experience, is it BA’s? 

Probably mate but we don't know the Full Line Up by the British SailGP Team. They haven't announced it. I suspect that they will next week. If BA can sail with Jensen & Parkinson then they will have a very experienced one that's for sure.

Australia has a lot of Experience as well but I think BA is the better Match Racer compared to Tom Slingsby. Tom will have to rely on Ben making mistakes to win Match Races.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Australia, France & United States announce their SailGP Line Ups for Season 2

0053_20210407_SAILGP.jpg?fm=webp&w=1920

https://sailgp.com/news/slingsby-reveals-australian-line-up/

SAILGP2104_CP_Team_France_v1.jpg?fm=webp

Is Amelie Riou the sister of Marie? Would make sense!

https://sailgp.com/news/france-announces-line-up-for-season-two/

Moroz-Perez-PCJ-Presti.jpg?fm=webp&w=164

The two Women look quite young to me! Are they kids?

https://sailgp.com/news/us-sailgp-team-lineup-complete/

The “kid” on the left is twice rolex sailer of the year and logged more time foiling than you have sailing so... stfu? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Sail GP Season 2 Line Ups:

Australia

CEO & Helmsman: Tom Slingsby / Wing Trimmer: Kyle Langford / Flight Controllers: Jason Waterhouse/Kinley Fowler / Grinders: Nick Hutton/Sam Newton / Female Sailors: Nina Curtis/Lisa Darmanin

Denmark

CEO: Jonas-Hogh Christensen / Helmsman: Nicolai Sehested / Wing Trimmer Tom Johnson / Flight Controller: Rasmus Kostner / Grinders: Martin Kirketerp/Hans-Christian Rosendahl/Lars Peter Rosendahl / Female Sailors: Anne-Marie Rindom/Katja Salskov-Iversen

France

CEO: Bruno Dubois / Helmsman: Billy Besson / Wing Trimmer: Leigh McMillan / Flight Controller: Francois Morvan / Grinders: Matthieu Vandame/Olivier Herledant/Timothe Lapauw / Female Sailors: Amelie Riou/Helene Noesmoen

Great Britain

CEO: Chris Draper / Helmsman: Sir Ben Ainslie

Japan

CEO & Helmsman: Nathan Outerridge / Flight Controller: Leo Takahashi

New Zealand

General Manager: Karl Budge / Helmsman: Peter Burling / Wing Trimmer: Josh Junior/Andy Maloney / Flight Controller: Blair Tuke / Grinders: Marcus Hansen/Louis Sinclair / Female Sailors: Erica Dawson/Liv Mackey

Spain

Helmsman: Phil Robertson (Interim) & Jordi Xammar / Wing Trimmer: Florian Trittel

United States of America

CEO & Helmsman: Jimmy Spithill / Wing Trimmer: Paul Campbell-James / Flight Controller: Rome Kirby / Grinders: Andrew Campbell/Cooper Dressler/Alex Sinclair / Female Sailors: Daniela Moroz/CJ Perez

 

Some Female Spots are open on the Spanish/British/Japanese Teams as all 3 haven't announced their Season 2 Line Ups. I wonder if Tamara Echegoyen who sailed on Mapfre in the 2017/18 VOR will join the Spanish Team.

 

Assuming the Brits can sail with Iain Jensen (Goobs) & Luke Parkinson (Parko) I'd put them as Favourites together with the Kiwis. Sure, Paul Campbell-James as Wing Trimmer for Jimmy and the US Team is good but he hasn't sailed in over a year. Likewise Rome Kirby isn't used to be a Flight Controller.

CJ was developing the new wing for sail GP so I think he will be just fine.  He spent the last 12month of lock down foiling in the Solent so don’t worry about him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leigh M joining the French?? I guess INEOS are keeping the Goobs and Jensen pairing so Leigh had to find a new spot...

Nick Hutton is another Brit/INEOS crew going 'offshore' and joining the Aussies....

I agree with @Nauti Buoy that putting Kirby on flight control for the USA doesn't seem the most logical choice, he must be feeling a bit of pressure with Campbell looking over his shoulder....

Paul CJ onboard the USA is also interesting, not aware of him sailing with either Jimmy or other guys much before - gonna be intriguing to see how the new line-up work together...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spithill will have thought about each position carefully , restricted as he is to only choosing one non-US crew member. 

Rome has benefit of having spent one season on the GP50s and he was a reserve team member for Oracle on the AC50s in Bermuda so presumably got some time in boat then.  Flight control is something he will be familiar with , and as helm last year he will have been coordinating with flight control.  As I recall they tried various flight controllers in 2019 including Taylor canfield but it was never a strength. 

Not sure why Campbell is grinding vs flight controller. We will see how they each do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

its almost like GB have so few high class foiling sailors they cant afford to lend a few to the other teams for a bit of help ... oh wait :)

I think GB has a deeper bench than we (USA) have.

Its good for Ineos that its crew members not selected for Ineos get rides on other boats...its all experience.  I wonder what the paychecks are like for SailGP crew.  The world match racing tour was zero on the budget gigs, they had to hope for prize money

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

The “kid” on the left is twice rolex sailer of the year and logged more time foiling than you have sailing so... stfu? 

Daniela Moroz has not won the "Rolex Sailor of the Year" Award so what are you smoking here?

The two Women on the American Team look like "Kids" compared to Curtis & Darmanin on the Australian Team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Daniela Moroz has not won the "Rolex Sailor of the Year" Award so what are you smoking here?

The two Women on the American Team look like "Kids" compared to Curtis & Darmanin on the Australian Team.

2-time Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year (2016/2019)

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2021/01/06/daniela-moroz-winging-into-2021/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cbulger said:

Where is the Glenn Ashby?  The best wing trimmer at AC 35 and the best foiling cat sailor on the planet.

We agree on that.

I guess he was looking for downtime after AC.  He could have sailed with either Sling or Burling. I imagine he has dual citizenship.

The real question is I wonder if he could be for hire for 37th/38th. He is less hostage to NZ team because he was a hired gun for TNZ . But I think he feels a significant sense of loyalty to TNZ having sailed with them for so long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 2:27 AM, MaxHugen said:

I've been re-watching the 2019 races, and there were many that were more exciting than the AC36 races - frequent lead changes, 6 boats trying to get around a mark at the same time, tactics etc.

Bloody crying shame the AC75’s didn’t do at least one fleet race out on the sparking Waitemata home of the Cup.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Daniela Moroz has not won the "Rolex Sailor of the Year" Award so what are you smoking here?

The two Women on the American Team look like "Kids" compared to Curtis & Darmanin on the Australian Team.

Fucking mug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Bloody crying shame the AC75’s didn’t do at least one fleet race out on the sparking Waitemata home of the Cup.

Maybe Fleet Races in the ACWS and Match Race in the Prada Cup would have been the better Option? What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So are they having 5 crew positions or 6 for the racing?  If 5, a woman has to helm, flight control, or wing trim. Or is there one fewer grinder and some new role? 

Has anyone read their verbiage and figured out what the crew positions are for racing, not development or practice?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

The picture that says a thousand words........

The only NZ helms to have won the AC with a combined 5 victories between the two of them....and both undefeated 5 and 0.  Two generations of greats.

Burling__Tuke__Coutts_1.jpg?fm=jpg&fl=pr

Pete is thinking "is this a setup? at least its not camo"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

So are they having 5 crew positions or 6 for the racing?  If 5, a woman has to helm, flight control, or wing trim. Or is there one fewer grinder and some new role? 

Has anyone read their verbiage and figured out what the crew positions are for racing, not development or practice?

So they seem to have new foils and rudders, mention materials but not shape, maybe working on that pesky cavitation?  Have to see out of water photos. 

They have 5 crew positions. So a woman will presumably  be replacing one of the non-grinding males/

 

from SailGP website:

NEW FOR SEASON 2:

  • Revolutionary modular wingsail system allowing them to range from 18-24 meters
    • New wingsail tech enables boats to compete in wider range of weather
    • Vital weight savings provides additional performance gains
  • Foils constructed with higher modulus carbon fiber
  • Geometry modified to promote more righting moment, increase boat speed prior to cavitation
  • Lower section of rudders manufactured in high-strength stainless steel to reduce drag

F50_Catamaran_Infograph.png?fm=jpg&fl=progressive&q=85&w=2246

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

This SGP series is going to be brilliant, the teams are awesome! 

Depends how much Burling/Tuke want to win it. I'll put the Kiwis right up there with the Aussies and the Brits.

There are at least 4 Teams who can win the 2021/2022 SailGP Championship IMO:

Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand and USA!

The biggest loser with Ainslie, Spithill and Burling/Tuke entering the SailGP Circuit is from my Point of View Nathan Outteridge and Team Japan. Nathan is going to struggle this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

100421_UN_FRAMEWORK_-18.jpg?fm=webp&w=19

https://sailgp.com/news/nz-signs-un-sports-for-climate-action-framework/

The NZL SailGP Team will fly to Bermuda on April 15th. Pete & Blair must be confident that they can make an immediate impact on the Championship with minimal Preparation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

............ If 5, a woman has to helm, flight control, or wing trim..............

I guess that getting a handle in flight control without a heap of practice would be beyond most males or females, so you are really left with helm/wing, Helming? I feel like that would be challenging as well for the inexperienced, which really leaves the wing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Depends how much Burling/Tuke want to win it. I'll put the Kiwis right up there with the Aussies and the Brits.

There are at least 4 Teams who can win the 2021/2022 SailGP Championship IMO:

Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand and USA!

The biggest loser with Ainslie, Spithill and Burling/Tuke entering the SailGP Circuit is from my Point of View Nathan Outteridge and Team Japan. Nathan is going to struggle this year.

Nathan is  competent of winning it with an "A team " crew . However he has taken on the role of building a Japanese cadre of sailors.  His skill on the helm and tactically really showed in 2019 in that he was always challenging Slingsby despite an inexperienced team. They overcame several obstacles to finish second (including a broken pedestal so that wing adjustments were de minimus on one day of racing) and were the only real challenge to Sling.  He is clearly extremely talented on the helm of a GP50 but without the same depth of experienced crew I am inclined to agree with you. Both his wing trimmer and flight controller will be again be new to the role this year. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Nathan is  competent of winning it with an "A team " crew . However he has taken on the role of building a Japanese cadre of sailors.  His skill on the helm and tactically really showed in 2019 in that he was always challenging Slingsby despite an inexperienced team. They overcame several obstacles to finish second (including a broken pedestal so that wing adjustments were de minimus on one day of racing) and were the only real challenge to Sling.  He is clearly extremely talented on the helm of a GP50 but without the same depth of experienced crew I am inclined to agree with you. Both his wing trimmer and flight controller will be again be new to the role this year. 

Add to that the limitations on practice time, unless its changed, the "new" or inexperienced teams are not given any additional practice over the established teams from what I understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Nathan is  competent of winning it with an "A team " crew . However he has taken on the role of building a Japanese cadre of sailors.  His skill on the helm and tactically really showed in 2019 in that he was always challenging Slingsby despite an inexperienced team. They overcame several obstacles to finish second (including a broken pedestal so that wing adjustments were de minimus on one day of racing) and were the only real challenge to Sling.  He is clearly extremely talented on the helm of a GP50 but without the same depth of experienced crew I am inclined to agree with you. Both his wing trimmer and flight controller will be again be new to the role this year. 

We still don't know either the British or the Japanese Crew for Season 2.

If Ben can sail with Goobs (Iain Jensen) and Parko (Luke Parkinson) he is in good shape to challenge for the Championship, if he can't it throws the whole thing up in the air. Rumors has it that the GBR SailGP Team has the same Line Up as they had in Sydney 2020 but these a only rumors. I'll wait on Confirmation of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unimpressed by what they are doing for the team sponsors in terms of PR , logos and advertising.

You have to search very hard to find out that Rockwool is sponsoring the Danish team. I assume Ineos are paying their way.

Where are the logos and PR on the website?   IF they want to sell the teams to future sponsors, they should be giving lots of publicity. I dont see any.

Im guessing LE is footing the bill for now but doesnt he want to pass this on to self funded teams?     You have to hunt around pretty hard to find out that a company called Acronis is supporting the French team.   They need to logo this the hell up to get attract sponsors.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

I am unimpressed by what they are doing for the team sponsors in terms of PR , logos and advertising.

You have to search very hard to find out that Rockwool is sponsoring the Danish team. I assume Ineos are paying their way.

Where are the logos and PR on the website?   IF they want to sell the teams to future sponsors, they should be giving lots of publicity. I dont see any.

Im guessing LE is footing the bill for now but doesnt he want to pass this on to self funded teams?     You have to hunt around pretty hard to find out that a company called Acronis is supporting the French team.   They need to logo this the hell up to get attract sponsors.

 

 

Agreed, quite a bit more could be done for the presenting sponsors for the individual teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

But for one chance at the bottom mark of the last race in the $1M SailGP finale, Nathan would have won that with the crew he had. 

I was really impressed with Nathan Outteridge and Team Japan, they had their boat humming, great battles with Tom Slingsby! Just re-watched all the races again, so many close ones!

image.png.12a7e8f14ab6d8787546f717ddd1eb53.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eltelatron said:

Do we know why goobs wasn't sailing with INEOS for the cup?

 Bleddyn was on wing trim for Ineos.

Ineos liked that he was experienced wing trimmer but also engineer with time at Team Red Bull Formula one and he interfaced with design team

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I was really impressed with Nathan Outteridge and Team Japan, they had their boat humming, great battles with Tom Slingsby! Just re-watched all the races again, so many close ones!

image.png.12a7e8f14ab6d8787546f717ddd1eb53.png

Yup, Nathan got unlucky in some + had technical Issues. He bascially had San Francisco in the bag!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Yup, Nathan got unlucky in some + had technical Issues. He bascially had San Francisco in the bag!

Amazing job with a less experienced crew and broken pedestals etc.  However Sling was always going to be very hard to beat.  His boat handling and tactics was very impressive.  Can you imagine an Australian AC entry?  (Allinghi out of Royal Perth?)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, EYESAILOR said:

Amazing job with a less experienced crew and broken pedestals etc.  However Sling was always going to be very hard to beat.  His boat handling and tactics was very impressive.  Can you imagine an Australian AC entry?  (Allinghi out of Royal Perth?)

This Aussie lives in hope...  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

Amazing job with a less experienced crew and broken pedestals etc.  However Sling was always going to be very hard to beat.  His boat handling and tactics was very impressive.  Can you imagine an Australian AC entry?  (Allinghi out of Royal Perth?)

Australian AC Entry depends on 3 Things:

# 1) The new AC Protocol

# 2) Funding

# 3) Jimmy Spithill (If Jimmy sticks with Luna Rossa I can't see it happening. However if he doesn't and Jimmy/Nathan/Slingsby and potentially Glenn Ashby as CEO can get an Australian AC Challenger off the Ground it could be possible). The new Nationality Requirement might be too tempting for Glenn and the other 3 guys to form an Australian Challenge. Maybe Ernesto funds it?

 

Speaking of SailGP at the moment I can't see the 2nd Event which is scheduled for June 5/6 in Taranto, Italy happening. COVID19 Cases are rising expotentially in Apulia, Italy where Taranto is located. If that Event gets scrubbed Russell might scheduled an Australian SailGP in Sydney for early next year as Replacement.

Plymouth in July and Saint-Tropez in August look good to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Australian AC Entry depends on 3 Things:

# 1) The new AC Protocol

# 2) Funding

# 3) Jimmy Spithill (If Jimmy sticks with Luna Rossa I can't see it happening. However if he doesn't and Jimmy/Nathan/Slingsby and potentially Glenn Ashby as CEO can get an Australian AC Challenger off the Ground it could be possible). The new Nationality Requirement might be too tempting for Glenn and the other 3 guys to form an Australian Challenge. Maybe Ernesto funds it?

 

Speaking of SailGP at the moment I can't see the 2nd Event which is scheduled for June 5/6 in Taranto, Italy happening. COVID19 Cases are rising expotentially in Apulia, Italy where Taranto is located. If that Event gets scrubbed Russell might scheduled an Australian SailGP in Sydney for early next year as Replacement.

Plymouth in July and Saint-Tropez in August look good to me.

I think the liklihood of Jimmy, Nathan, Tom and Ashby choosing to be on one team is very remote.   Too much senior aft-guard talent for one boat .   Australia is long on talent and experience with no funding. USA has the funding but short on sailors. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LCS Carbon said:

Do the females have to be on the boat as per a rule, or could they be sidelined to shore crew??

I think they have to be "on the team" and do "practice racing and racing" so since there seem to be more than 5 "sailing team members" on the teams now...you are right could be a loophole on regatta day you can drive an F50 through, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eastcoastlow said:

Bermuda lockdown.

I wonder how this will affect things? Maybe they should have run the series in Australia and NZ?

It won't. Teams will live, sail in their respective bubbles. It might affect spectators, but this lockdown is only for 7 days, so it might not. 

Good to see foiling cats back on the Greta Sound yesterday though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eastcoastlow said:

Bermuda lockdown.

I wonder how this will affect things? Maybe they should have run the series in Australia and NZ?

"Speaking on the SailGP event planned to take place in Bermuda, Mr Burt said: “We will work with the organisers to ensure that any activity is carried out in full compliance with the regulations, without exception. SailGP is on the calendar.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

"Speaking on the SailGP event planned to take place in Bermuda, Mr Burt said: “We will work with the organisers to ensure that any activity is carried out in full compliance with the regulations, without exception. SailGP is on the calendar.”

Burt talks out of both sides of his mouth. He can't afford for this to fail, he presides over a struggling economy that needs big events. He'll work to make it happen, and that might mean exceptions and bending of rules. He's a politician after all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TwoRockKnock said:

Burt talks out of both sides of his mouth. He can't afford for this to fail, he presides over a struggling economy that needs big events. He'll work to make it happen, and that might mean exceptions and bending of rules. He's a politician after all. 

Bermuda paid a 750,000 $ Event Fee to host the SailGP!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Bermuda paid a 750,000 $ Event Fee to host the SailGP!

Exactly. He needs the event for marketing, for visitors (spectators obviously aren't coming due to COVID), the sailors, shore teams, etc etc  to demonstrate that Bermuda is open for business, it's a great venue for sports etc etc. ....he needs the event to happen. Desperately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TwoRockKnock said:

Exactly. He needs the event for marketing, for visitors (spectators obviously aren't coming due to COVID), the sailors, shore teams, etc etc  to demonstrate that Bermuda is open for business, it's a great venue for sports etc etc. ....he needs the event to happen. Desperately.

Well to be fair, the whole island needs every bit of good news it can.  While Im sure the financial component of the economy can work from home,  the segment of the population depending on tourism must be really hurting. My heart and best wishes goes out to all my sailing friends in Bermuda and I hope you bounce back as soon as the vaccine has create herd immunity. You probably need more than herd immunity because of the visitor flow......anyway I mreally rooting for you guys,

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mambo Kings said:

Well to be fair, the whole island needs every bit of good news it can.  While Im sure the financial component of the economy can work from home,  the segment of the population depending on tourism must be really hurting. My heart and best wishes goes out to all my sailing friends in Bermuda and I hope you bounce back as soon as the vaccine has create herd immunity. You probably need more than herd immunity because of the visitor flow......anyway I mreally rooting for you guys,

Thank you, it's appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TwoRockKnock said:

Exactly. He needs the event for marketing, for visitors (spectators obviously aren't coming due to COVID), the sailors, shore teams, etc etc  to demonstrate that Bermuda is open for business, it's a great venue for sports etc etc. ....he needs the event to happen. Desperately.

Well, I am cautiously optimistic Bermuda will happen but waaay more pessimistic Taranto will happen in June. Italy and especially Apulia has to get their Act together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TwoRockKnock said:

Exactly. He needs the event for marketing, for visitors (spectators obviously aren't coming due to COVID), the sailors, shore teams, etc etc  to demonstrate that Bermuda is open for business, it's a great venue for sports etc etc. ....he needs the event to happen. Desperately.

Bermuda has a population around 65000 it wouldn't be stretch to vaccinate them all in a couple of weeks, and just open up to tourists. Probs need an upgraded medical network for COVID+ tourists though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LCS Carbon said:

Bermuda has a population around 65000 it wouldn't be stretch to vaccinate them all in a couple of weeks, and just open up to tourists. Probs need an upgraded medical network for COVID+ tourists though. 

Bermuda is well on their way. There apparently was pushback originally against vaccination on the part of a significant percentage of the population, but that is apparently less of a problem now, according to friends there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, accnick said:

Bermuda is well on their way. There apparently was pushback originally against vaccination on the part of a significant percentage of the population, but that is apparently less of a problem now, according to friends there.

Scroll to bottom https://www.gov.bm/vaccines

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SAILGP Event in Bermuda facing Cancellation

SailGP_Promo_2020.jpg

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2021/04/13/sailgp-event-facing-worst-case-scenario-in-bermuda/

https://www.royalgazette.com/sailing/sport/article/20210413/sailgp-on-red-alert-over-lockdown/

All SailGP Operations at Cross Island have been suspended in compliance with the Bermudan Government Regulations.

Boat 8 (SailGP NZL Team) has not been finished yet!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there supposed to have been a "pre season training camp" in Bermuda? If they had done that, everyone would be there already and have sailed before lockdown. Looks like sailors still arriving at end of week. A couple of days isn't much of a camp even without covid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@NeedAClew

Russell Coutts will have to decide tomorrow whether the Event can be staged on not.

The NZL SailGP Team is supposed to fly to Bermuda on Thursday.

It doesn't make sense to me to let Burling & his Team travel halfway across the globe if he can't stage the Event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@NeedAClew

Russell Coutts will have to decide tomorrow whether the Event can be staged on not.

The NZL SailGP Team is supposed to fly to Bermuda on Thursday.

It doesn't make sense to me to let Burling & his Team travel halfway across the globe if he can't stage the Event.

I can't see the team flights even vaguely being a consideration. There are a lot more expensive and complicated considerations than 7 or 8 flights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites