Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Everyone with a brain already simply did that, so no reason to do anything else. 

He is on my block mainly to get to the proper discussion quicker.  Also as it is the internet you never really know the mental state of posters so i sort of tread carefully. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had to stop and take a photo of this today (not like I'm pushed for time during lockdown ). Looks like my youngest likes SailGP. Perhaps the boats are just easier to build with lego than the foiling

Some of you are truly amusing. Let's start with a simple truth. This event was probably the best televised sailing I have ever seen. Sure, there is room for improvement but the racing was epic, t

i didnt bag the ac dipshit. quite strangely you identify yourself with that event and you feel like if someone bags on you, that means the event. i thought it was good. you on the other hand must be f

Posted Images

9 hours ago, shebeen said:

Yes, thanks and it is interesting, but this is the SailGP thread and there's actually sailgp boats sailing right now so it would be nice if we could stay on topic.

 

would be more relevant here, or maybe the original speed sailing thread

 

Ya...too right. It's like this place is anarchy or something.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dullers said:

He is on my block mainly to get to the proper discussion quicker.  Also as it is the internet you never really know the mental state of posters so i sort of tread carefully. 

Yep - True of most all of the Internet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Syroco
If having a top-flight speed sailor as a part of your team is a mark of potential, then Syroco certainly starts off in impressive style.

Alex Caizergues is due to pilot the boat and is the co-founder of the project. He has a wealth of speed sailing records and wins to his name, including holding the outright world speed sailing record on two occasions on his kitesurfer. Additionally, he has won the Kite Speed World Championship four times. So he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to going fast on the water and could well be a key part in this team’s ambition to create the fastest sailboat ever recorded.

The Syroco concept – named after the ‘sirocco’ warm wind originating in the sandy expanses of the Sahara desert – is essentially made up of three components: the hull or module; a kite, which provides driving force; and a hydrofoil, the purpose of which is to compensate for the vertical force and to provide a counter to the forces generated from the kite. This foil is on a long vertical with a T-foil at it’s base.

 

Fastest-sailboat-credit-syroco-rendering-super-169-630x394.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stingray~ said:

Yep - True of most all of the Internet. 

Also the good thing about anarchy is that people can say what the hell they want and the anarchy team seems not to interfere.  YBF censors to the point you are not even sure what it was they found offensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dullers said:

Also the good thing about anarchy is that people can say what the hell they want and the anarchy team seems not to interfere.  YBF censors to the point you are not even sure what it was they found offensive.

I have no problem with guys like F posting here. But after years of experience with that tedious fool, it’s simply my choice to Ignore all that regurgeatative, revisionist crapola. It makes this forum’s life better :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, barfy said:

Syroco
If having a top-flight speed sailor as a part of your team is a mark of potential, then Syroco certainly starts off in impressive style.

Alex Caizergues is due to pilot the boat and is the co-founder of the project. He has a wealth of speed sailing records and wins to his name, including holding the outright world speed sailing record on two occasions on his kitesurfer. Additionally, he has won the Kite Speed World Championship four times. So he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to going fast on the water and could well be a key part in this team’s ambition to create the fastest sailboat ever recorded.

The Syroco concept – named after the ‘sirocco’ warm wind originating in the sandy expanses of the Sahara desert – is essentially made up of three components: the hull or module; a kite, which provides driving force; and a hydrofoil, the purpose of which is to compensate for the vertical force and to provide a counter to the forces generated from the kite. This foil is on a long vertical with a T-foil at it’s base.

 

Fastest-sailboat-credit-syroco-rendering-super-169-630x394.jpg

Thanks.  This is more relevant to SailGP than a few might think, as the F50 is a one design development class.  In this foiling era, we see that it's become a matter of hitching up aerofoils to hydrofoils, via some sort of platform, be that 1, 2 or 3 hulls or even just a board.

While there are challenges using base ventilated or super cavitating foils to get up to the speed needed to be workable, we may eventually see something like the F50 use dual or morphing foils etc, but I doubt this will happen in the near future.

Using a canted aerofoil is nothing new, whether it's a "sail" as we think of it, a canted wing, or a kite etc. Who knows, we might even see an F50 with a wing mounted on a traveller that allows it to cant from one side to the other so it can actually tack/gybe, and race on a course as we know it.

Barely a decade ago, having a sailing boat with foils in a round-the-world race would have seemed laughable!

Interesting times.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dullers said:

To be honest we should not censor it as the world is plunging into an abyss in regards free speech. I may not like what fourskin says but he has a voice like any another and you can do a personal block.

Absolutely, he has a voice and nobody mind his stupid, repetitive comments, or even trollings, but for the constant spamming he should be banned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

...a one design development class.

That's an oxymoron right there. ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Absolutely, he has a voice and nobody mind his stupid, repetitive comments, or even trollings, but for the constant spamming he should be banned.

I agree! Consistently putting Off-Topic Content from TOR-E is downright silly and gives the impression of an immature 10-year old child.

The SailGP Thread is in this Forum because it is related to the AC. 70% of the Sailors sailing in SailGP have either competed either in Bermuda 2017 or Auckland 2021!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I agree! Consistently putting Off-Topic Content from TOR-E is downright silly and gives the impression of an immature 10-year old child.

The SailGP Thread is in this Forum because it is related to the AC. 70% of the Sailors sailing in SailGP have either competed either in Bermuda 2017 or Auckland 2021!

And besides, if it was buried in the Multi-hull thread...well....how far underground do you want to venture?

:D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

I was meaning it too is a one design development class 

One design? Not that I'm aware. Unless you're referring to the, WASP?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ffs, box rule then. If moth was a free for all they wouldn’t have length width, mast/rig dimensions. you can develop within the framework that governs the class 

Wasp Is strict one design with no development 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

Ffs, box rule then. If moth was a free for all they wouldn’t have length width, mast/rig dimensions. you can develop within the framework that governs the class 

Wasp Is strict one design with no development 

Yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks.  This is more relevant to SailGP than a few might think, as the F50 is a one design development class.  In this foiling era, we see that it's become a matter of hitching up aerofoils to hydrofoils, via some sort of platform, be that 1, 2 or 3 hulls or even just a board.

While there are challenges using base ventilated or super cavitating foils to get up to the speed needed to be workable, we may eventually see something like the F50 use dual or morphing foils etc, but I doubt this will happen in the near future.

Using a canted aerofoil is nothing new, whether it's a "sail" as we think of it, a canted wing, or a kite etc. Who knows, we might even see an F50 with a wing mounted on a traveller that allows it to cant from one side to the other so it can actually tack/gybe, and race on a course as we know it.

Barely a decade ago, having a sailing boat with foils in a round-the-world race would have seemed laughable!

Interesting times.  :)

I love the developments too (the 'morphing foils' fantasy included) but I wonder if for boats that race, rather than being experimental one-offs, if we aren't already sailing at dangerously high-enough speeds? There is a human factor to consider.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I can recall seeing this in an article. Since it includes an interview with JS, it's likely accurate. Bold mine

Although born in Australia, the helmsman also holds U.S. citizenship. He met Jennifer while sailing in New Zealand, and the family often goes with him when he has a lengthy sailing layover in one location.

Column: USA team sails in Italy on $1 million prize quest - The San Diego Union-Tribune (sandiegouniontribune.com)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Taylor rightly going after SailGP's for stealing his IP

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/we-did-it-first-sir-ian-taylor-accuses-sir-russell-coutts-over-americas-cup-graphics/ZLLGNWE2SOE622BHZ3YMA7HC6I/

Now the AC is over, Ian is ready to go for it... perhaps now we'll see injunctions against SailGPs use of graphics during its regattas much llike RC tried to do with AC36...

Live by the sword...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

I love the developments too (the 'morphing foils' fantasy included) but I wonder if for boats that race, rather than being experimental one-offs, if we aren't already sailing at dangerously high-enough speeds? There is a human factor to consider.. 

I love it, Super expensive sailing is going too fast for safety.

You can get a used one of these for $1500 usd and do 50 every time the wind is up to about 12 to 15 and go faster as it increases and you reduce sail to reduce windage.

Scott Young leading his Heavy Weight Class with a 5m sail and me (us32) leading the light weight class with a 4 m sail. Both doing around 40 rounding the leeward mark by a nice distance ahead of the fleet.

Look at the rut he is digging with his rear tire as he turns upwind. That is what the HW guys do.

817972737_Sirby-150331Nabsa(209).thumb.jpg.bf3e2036ea87a1bebb05db07ef58e06e.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I love it, Super expensive sailing is going too fast for safety.

You can get a used one of these for $1500 usd and do 50 every time the wind is up to about 12 to 15 and go faster as it increases and you reduce sail to reduce windage.

Scott Young leading his Heavy Weight Class with a 5m sail and me (us32) leading the light weight class with a 4 m sail. Both doing around 40 rounding the leeward mark by a nice distance ahead of the fleet.

Look at the rut he is digging with his rear tire as he turns upwind. That is what the HW guys do.

817972737_Sirby-150331Nabsa(209).thumb.jpg.bf3e2036ea87a1bebb05db07ef58e06e.jpg

Sure, thought of that exception too but c'mon, it's on flat land, not water :)

Can you imagine the hell for any humans pitchpoling at 60+ knots, on water? Yikes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I love the developments too (the 'morphing foils' fantasy included) but I wonder if for boats that race, rather than being experimental one-offs, if we aren't already sailing at dangerously high-enough speeds? There is a human factor to consider.. 

Have you ever watched any Volvo race footage?

Or the trans-ocean multihull boats?

Or even raced offshore yourself?

Open your eyes, there is a whole world of excitement and adrenalin out there

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Have you ever watched any Volvo race footage?

Or the trans-ocean multihull boats?

Or even raced offshore yourself?

Open your eyes, there is a whole world of excitement and adrenalin out there

Yes, yes, yes.

Sure, but even in my brother's Donzi on saltwater Puget Sound (it is a 'cigarette boat' built for speed and stability) we strap into 4 point seatbelts and sit in secure wraparound seats at 70+ and the driver also wears a kill-switch line. This past weekend I was on a flat fresh-water lake, just a fancy Bass boat, but at 75 knots the driver was very-very attentive to any wake up ahead! Fast on the water is fun... but dangerous :) 

I simply suggested that the AC75's and AC50F's are already going plenty fast enough at the cavitation walls they are hitting. It's already awesome.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, barfy said:

Syroco
If having a top-flight speed sailor as a part of your team is a mark of potential, then Syroco certainly starts off in impressive style.

Alex Caizergues is due to pilot the boat and is the co-founder of the project. He has a wealth of speed sailing records and wins to his name, including holding the outright world speed sailing record on two occasions on his kitesurfer. Additionally, he has won the Kite Speed World Championship four times. So he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to going fast on the water and could well be a key part in this team’s ambition to create the fastest sailboat ever recorded.

The Syroco concept – named after the ‘sirocco’ warm wind originating in the sandy expanses of the Sahara desert – is essentially made up of three components: the hull or module; a kite, which provides driving force; and a hydrofoil, the purpose of which is to compensate for the vertical force and to provide a counter to the forces generated from the kite. This foil is on a long vertical with a T-foil at it’s base.

 

Fastest-sailboat-credit-syroco-rendering-super-169-630x394.jpg

this just seems like a kiteboard with extra steps

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, crashtack said:

this just seems like a kiteboard with extra steps

Doesn't look yaw stable to me. But then again, the AC75 looked wonky even when we saw the test boats and they were so stable at the end folks called the racing boring !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^^ It should not be difficult for the new team and the Swiss guy to do better than the last time but,...........it's not sure :)

Cool pix, thanks.

Anyone have a recent forecast for this weekend in Taranto?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure, thought of that exception too but c'mon, it's on flat land, not water :)

Can you imagine the hell for any humans pitchpoling at 60+ knots, on water? Yikes!

I don't think water is any harder than flat ground at that speed, Stinger. It could still hurt like fuck.

You have to be lucky, is all.

Guy Martin crashed in the Isle of Man TT doing 217km/h and sprained his wrist. As they say, it's the stopping that kills ya.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

Team kiwi looking smooth... 

Ha, ha. Yep. Their form continues, sadly.

Still, by the time they get back home to Canterbury, they'll know which way is up - hopefully. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure, thought of that exception too but c'mon, it's on flat land, not water :)

Can you imagine the hell for any humans pitchpoling at 60+ knots, on water? Yikes!

I found out why most guys were wearing wetsuits even in the middle of summer when skiing at speed. Only at ~55 knots, I received a forceful enema... most unpleasant!  :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I found out why most guys were wearing wetsuits even in the middle of summer when skiing at speed. Only at ~55 knots, I received a forceful enema... most unpleasant!  :lol:

Yep, water gets rocky at high speeds! :)

Cool news above, about the mid-afternoon forecasts for in Taranto this weekend. Do the boats have all three wing sizes starting now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yep, water gets rocky at high speeds! :)

Cool news above, about the mid-afternoon forecasts for in Taranto this weekend. Do the boats have all three wing sizes starting now?

Haven't heard anything about the ~29m wing yet, although I assumed they'd have it for Taranto. 

I'm looking forward to a high wind round, see what they can really do after a decent bit of practice with the 18m wing.  They have yet to reach the "cavitation wall" which might be in the mid-50s somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Haven't heard anything about the ~29m wing yet, although I assumed they'd have it for Taranto. 

I'm looking forward to a high wind round, see what they can really do after a decent bit of practice with the 18m wing.  They have yet to reach the "cavitation wall" which might be in the mid-50s somewhere.

They got close to the wall in the high wind during Bermuda event with the 18m wing, right? Are the modular wings selectable between 18m, 24m, and 28m now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxHugen said:

I found out why most guys were wearing wetsuits even in the middle of summer when skiing at speed. Only at ~55 knots, I received a forceful enema... most unpleasant!  :lol:

Yep. Proof that not all 'water sports' are necessarily fun, Max. ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

They got close to the wall in the high wind during Bermuda event with the 18m wing, right? Are the modular wings selectable between 18m, 24m, and 28m now?

From what I heard, the F50s have a different balance with the 18m wing, that the teams hadn't had much practice time with it in Bermuda, so we could see higher speeds in the right breeze in future.

The wingsail is modular, with 4 wing sections and 4 flap sections. The second sections from the bottom are removed for the 18m config, and when they get the 28-29m version, an extra section will be inserted either between sections 1 (lowest) and 2, or between 2 and 3.

image.png.894e32fa2a17d694a207024e6b106d35.png

The race committee decides which config they sail with for the day's races, to keep all teams on a level playing field.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

From what I heard, the F50s have a different balance with the 18m wing, that the teams hadn't had much practice time with in Bermuda, so we could see higher speeds in the right breeze in future.

The wingsail is modular, with 4 wing sections and 4 flap sections. The second sections from the bottom are removed for the 18m config, and when they get the 28-29m version, an extra section will be inserted either between sections 1 (lowest) and 2, or between 2 and 3.

image.png.894e32fa2a17d694a207024e6b106d35.png

The race committee decides which config they sail with for the day's races, to keep all teams on a level playing field.

Nice post, thank you. Looking forward to this weekend! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

From what I heard, the F50s have a different balance with the 18m wing, that the teams hadn't had much practice time with it in Bermuda, so we could see higher speeds in the right breeze in future.

The wingsail is modular, with 4 wing sections and 4 flap sections. The second sections from the bottom are removed for the 18m config, and when they get the 28-29m version, an extra section will be inserted either between sections 1 (lowest) and 2, or between 2 and 3.

image.png.894e32fa2a17d694a207024e6b106d35.png

The race committee decides which config they sail with for the day's races, to keep all teams on a level playing field.

I wish they had let team decide for a more strategic approach.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I don't think water is any harder than flat ground at that speed, Stinger. It could still hurt like fuck.

You have to be lucky, is all.

Guy Martin crashed in the Isle of Man TT doing 217km/h and sprained his wrist. As they say, it's the stopping that kills ya.

Grant Dalton crashed in 2017 doing 160km/hr and walked away un-hurt. 

Luck and bigger balls than SR.

Edit : or me

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I wish they had let team decide for a more strategic approach.

They don't even get to choose Jibs, so not much chance of choosing wings. This is very much a management controlled event, so essentially decisions on the race course and sail/foil trim are the only differences you will see.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet with all the “management control” that many are so critical of its still the only format that’s putting the biggest names in AC / sailing against each other and providing them with equal equipment 

Non of the “oh they got lucky with the jib/main/foil call. “

This is what you have now go and get on with it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

BREAKING

SailGP CEO Russell Coutts confirmed that

# 1 He won't go back to the America's Cup

# 2 Season 3 of SailGP which starts in May next year will have an Italian & German Team on the Start Line.

GTran

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.lastampa.it/mare/2021/06/04/news/russell-coutts-l-america-s-cup-moderna-mi-piace-ma-non-ci-tornero-1.40351822?fbclid%3DIwAR3k6i8DpEHK-ooyeih9sHk8X922bBH1ux653aZBS63P0l_QO8T4uoWNLMw

Team Japan Flight Controller Francesco Bruni working to get an Italian Team on the Start Line next year he announced at the Press Conference + Russell mentioned a German Team as well in this article from "La Stampa"!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Sure, thought of that exception too but c'mon, it's on flat land, not water :)

Can you imagine the hell for any humans pitchpoling at 60+ knots, on water? Yikes!

Pitchpoling at any speed is dangerous.

It's not a man made smoothed surface. It changes with wind and moisture. I've hit some bumps and ruts and lost steering, spun out and went over while out in front of the fleet. Do not think it is just a joy ride. When racing we push the limits of our craft and ourselves just like the pro sailors. Like car racing, if your tires lose grip, you are just a passenger until regaining grip.

Once I spun out and ended rolling backwards at about 30knts. Of course I was going much faster but scrubbed much speed in the spinout. All I could do was to keep the wind on the nose until I slowed a bit and started turning to fill the sail slowly to get going again. If I turned to quick and filled the sail, I might have gone over hard. That was pretty scary. I wish I had my go pro then. Helmets, gloves and the safety belt (I use a 5 point) are required to race.

Danger is everywhere. I just think the amount of money spent will have very little return to the average sailor which is far different than what car racing has done for the auto market.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would RC want to be the "replacement GD" hassling with a tightpursed set of national and local governments to scrounge up money for an AC team and events?  OF COURSE NOT.  

He makes good money from LE (for now) probably has an equity stake in either SGP or some related entity, and hopes to oversee a franchise league.  That's got to be better than scrounging for semi-billionaire sponsors.  He delegates that to the teams.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brits cannot win without Ben I think!

If you force me to make a bet I'd say Podium Race:

USA

Japan

Australia

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Brits cannot win without Ben I think!

If you force me to make a bet I'd say Podium Race:

USA

Japan

Australia

My guess for the Podium:

AUS

Japan

GBR

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

That was pretty cool. Taranto looks like a great place to visit too.

There are several like that, from today. Big crowds in some of them, this could be a very well-attended event.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

There are several like that, from today. Big crowds in some of them, this could be a very well-attended event.

There must be 10,000 people on that seawall. I doubt there's much else going on in Taranto this weekend :) Will be interesting to see how many go out onto the water, there could be a decent local fleet of various boats. The AC45 event held on the other coast in Napoli was maybe the biggest ACWS event ever, attendance-wise, when Prada launched their two AC45's Piranha and Swordfish and then also won that event.

(1) La parata di apertura di SailGP puro entusiasmo! - YouTube

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I wish they had let team decide for a more strategic approach.

Then they wouldn't be one-design, would they? The wing is the primary engine, after all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

Will be interesting to see how many go out onto the water, there could be a decent local fleet of various boats.

 

Wow! ... bold mine, from Stage set for first Italy Sail Grand Prix in Taranto | Mysailing News

Also excited to be in Italy – at his home event – is Japan SailGP Team member Francesco Bruni. The eight-time world champion is looking forward to putting on a show for home fans, including nearly 900 boats that have registered their place on the water to capture the spectacular action.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, accnick said:

Then they wouldn't be one-design, would they? The wing is the primary engine, after all.

The boat itself is even more than one design, it's supplied material.

But whatever the classification, their goal is to attrack a large public isn't it ? Then they should let the teams choose it makes it much more interesting. Remember the AC75 chosing their different jib and the weather changing during the race ? The bets even an unaducated public can make about it ? Letting the teams chose their supplied material would make it definitly more interesting.

Different strategies in F1 are also part of the fun and do not prevent best pilots to participate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

The boat itself is even more than one design, it's supplied material.

But whatever the classification, their goal is to attrack a large public isn't it ? Then they should let the teams choose it makes it much more interesting. Remember the AC75 chosing their different jib and the weather changing during the race ? The bets even an unaducated public can make about it ? Letting the teams chose their supplied material would make it definitly more interesting.

Different strategies in F1 are also part of the fun and do not prevent best pilots to participate.

The whole goal of SailGP is to make the boats absolutely equal on every day of racing. They don't even get to choose jibs.

Here is your supplied equipment, now  go racing. May the best team win. It comes down completely to the sailors, which is the entire point of SailGP. If you want more freedom of choice, SailGP isn't your game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, accnick said:

The whole goal of SailGP is to make the boats absolutely equal on every day of racing. They don't even get to choose jibs.

Here is your supplied equipment, now  go racing. May the best team win. It comes down completely to the sailors, which is the entire point of SailGP. If you want more freedom of choice, SailGP isn't your game.

That, and there are a lot of control surfaces to move regardless the race-day setup. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

I wish they had let team decide for a more strategic approach.

Might seem like a good idea for the pure enthusiasts, but the reality is that it is a poor idea if you want decent racing.Having sailed in enough fleets where you can choose your rig or foils for the conditions, you learn that in most situations, your choice is either right or wrong, and that choice is enough to make you either competitive or not at all competitive. There are very few close cross over days.

When the fleet is a decent size (say Moths or 18' skiffs), having half the fleet uncompetitive doesn't impact the spectacle or the racing. However, with SailGP, the fleet is small. If you had, say, 4 boats choose one size and 5 the other, the chances are that you would have half the fleet noncompetitive for the day and that means only 4 or 5 boats at the front. With SailGP, the closer together the whole of the fleet, the better.

For the type of sailing, strict one design is better. Send them out with the same rigs and same foils and let the team with the best sailing skills on the day win.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: Does Paul Goodison have the same fire in the belly like Ben Ainslie has? If he doesn't the Brits are in for a rude awakening tomorrow!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of insider news today re the 29m wingsail after I asked about them:

"No 29m wings yet, I think they only have 5 of them finished."

IIRC there was a previous comment that these take quite some time to produce, "almost as long as the boat itself".

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Water looks nice. Besides Venezia a few times I have not spent much time on the Adriatic Coast of Italia but Puglia looks pretty nice, green and palm trees and all.

SailGP Taranto - Parata dei catamarani volanti F50 - YouTube

There are issues.... 

https://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/taranto-italys-worst-tourist-destination/

Childhood mortality in under 14s is the worst in Europe. 

I heard that the owners of the steel mill have been given jail sentences. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Bit of insider news today re the 29m wingsail after I asked about them:

"No 29m wings yet, I think they only have 5 of them finished."

IIRC there was a previous comment that these take quite some time to produce, "almost as long as the boat itself".

 

*please don't pitchpole your new rig+

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barfy said:

This topic is in a fervor...15 posts in 24 hours..not counting dg, tc, or SR. :unsure:

It's more traffic than for the monologue thread. 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It's more traffic than for the monologue thread. 

It's bound to pick up as we get closer. One hour to go and already 131 waiting on YouTube

Link to post
Share on other sites